Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
While it may not be action movie-y, having a dogfight ins pace with no actual sound would be pretty drat cool to me. Provided, y'know, that it actually used physics ad stuff. Or atleast what qualified for physics, y'know what I mean.

Here's a question I just thought of: If you have to a plot a course through hyperspace so you don't accidentally smash into a star or something, how come ships don't worry about smashing into each other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Space is real huge.

As for a physics appropriate dogfight, it would probably be really boring given how small most spaceships are. There's a good description of one in Larry Niven's "Protector." Very gripping.

Because it's written in a few pages, which cover four days.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Saul Goode posted:

Wait a minute... Darth's Star Destroyer is called the Exec-utor?

I've been calling it the Ex-ecutor! Why didn't someone tell me? Ohh... I've been making an idiot out of myself!

Hell, I've been saying "Twigh-lek" for years, but "The Old Republic" says it's "Twee-lek."

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Saul Goode posted:

Wait a minute... Darth's Star Destroyer is called the Exec-utor?

I've been calling it the Ex-ecutor! Why didn't someone tell me? Ohh... I've been making an idiot out of myself!

The real question is why it was thought that the person who carries out somebody's will was a scary name for a star destroyer. As opposed to, like, Executioner.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

CobiWann posted:

Hell, I've been saying "Twigh-lek" for years, but "The Old Republic" says it's "Twee-lek."
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Both pronunciations are used in a myriad of sources. I'm pretty sure KotOR itself had both, in fact.

Huitzil
May 25, 2010

by elpintogrande

qntm posted:

The real question is why it was thought that the person who carries out somebody's will was a scary name for a star destroyer. As opposed to, like, Executioner.

"Executor" doesn't just mean someone who carries out a will, it means someone who carries out a task. The Executor is the Ship That Gets poo poo Done. Or, it could be a play on words, in that it carries out the "Empire's Will".

Also they probably had a "space shuttle Enterprise" kind of deal where the name "Executioner" was so good they used it on one of their first ships, which then became obsolete and went unused, and now they can't use the name on anything else.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's crazy, you always reuse ship names, otherwise you would run out far too quickly and end up naming your ships things like 'The Mostly Imperturbable'. Names like the Indefatigable, Revenge and Warspite have been reused, and there have been dozens of Enterprise ships as well. It's pretty rare to retire a name entirely, unless maybe it's like the Constitution and is a historic ship still technically in service.

But yea, Executor makes sense because it is Vader's personal ship, and basically his entire purpose is to carry out the Emperor's will (as in, his commands, not his last will and testament). When the Executor turns up, you know its because the head honcho wants something done and sent his right hand to see to it. Of course, because that's Vader, it's probable that someone is going to get killed along the way.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Plus, after a thousand years, you'd have the stupidest ship names ever because even the stupid ones would have been retired centuries ago...

Speaking of ages: I was doing a Star Wars marathon with my linguist buddies the other day, and we came up with a great explanation for Yodas strange word order: He's like 900 years old, and during his lifetime, the language must have changed considerably. So basically, Yoda is just speaking with "Old Basic" syntax, but using modern words (Because he wants people to understand him?)

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

BonHair posted:

Plus, after a thousand years, you'd have the stupidest ship names ever because even the stupid ones would have been retired centuries ago...

Speaking of ages: I was doing a Star Wars marathon with my linguist buddies the other day, and we came up with a great explanation for Yodas strange word order: He's like 900 years old, and during his lifetime, the language must have changed considerably. So basically, Yoda is just speaking with "Old Basic" syntax, but using modern words (Because he wants people to understand him?)

Works for me. Add it to wookipedia.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

BonHair posted:

From an ultra-technical standpoint, there's actually nothing incorrect about the way he speaks, it just sounds awkward to us because it's not how we're used to it. English/Basic rules allow it, though; for example, "He said he'd take me to him, and take me to him he did," and, "I said I'd take you to him, and now take you to him I will," are both completely linguistically-appropriate all the way through. All Yoda does is overuse them. He's like that pretentious kid everyone knew in middle school, only he never grew out of it.

Alternate theory: Dude's 900 years old, he's probably going senile.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

BonHair posted:

I like this, especially as io9 recently had an article on how the very earliest languages were probably organized along the lines of Yoda-speech.

http://io9.com/5848528/what-did-the-worlds-first-language-sound-like

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

BonHair posted:

This is a hilarious idea. They'd end up with pedigree dog names. Kuat Shipyard's Executor Afternoon Delight III.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I watched ESB on blu-ray last night and suddenly I'm ok with all the changes. He largely left ESB alone and watching the Battle of Hoth with the new soundtrack mix is just loving perfect.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
If I remember correctly, Yoda's weird speech pattern was because he was meant to embody the old archtype of the odd sage who hid in the mountains, often in Tibet, for example. Since this isn't actually Asia they had to come up with a new odd speech pattern.

I always assumed it was a carryover from his race's original language, but because there's only one other of them apparently, he never really has a reason to use it.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I always assumed it was a carryover from his race's original language, but because there's only one other of them apparently, he never really has a reason to use it.

What's this "just one other" about? Do I... do I even want to know :ohdear:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

It's nothing special. Yaddle, a member on the Jedi council, is a member of Yoda's race. Other than her I'm PRETTY sure no one else of his race has ever made an appearance in any Star Wars media because Lucas has put a pretty tight leash on Yoda discussion in the EU. You're not allowed to name the race, nor where they came from. Very few media delves into his past. Personally I think it's one of the few things he did right, although it raises a lot of questions, it keeps Yoda's mystique. Since he lost his dignity, his mystique is all he has left.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
He Who Must Not Be Racially Identified.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's nothing special. Yaddle, a member on the Jedi council, is a member of Yoda's race. Other than her I'm PRETTY sure no one else of his race has ever made an appearance in any Star Wars media because Lucas has put a pretty tight leash on Yoda discussion in the EU. You're not allowed to name the race, nor where they came from. Very few media delves into his past. Personally I think it's one of the few things he did right, although it raises a lot of questions, it keeps Yoda's mystique. Since he lost his dignity, his mystique is all he has left.

There was a guy in one of the Knights of the Old Republic games who was the same race as Yoda. He didn't have any crazy speech patterns that I remember, but he was voiced by Ed Asner, so that's awesome.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There was a Yoda dude in KOTOR, I remember that much. He doesn't make an appearance for KOTOR II though.

Also why are Jedi always made generals and commanding officers? Are they actually trained in any sort of tactics?

EDIT: Goddamnit, beaten.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ed Asner was the grumpy old Human jedi master on the council. The Yoda dude in KOTORI was not voiced by him.

Fun Fact: That Yoda character does make an appearance in KOTORII, albeit a tiny one. On arriving on Dantooine, there's a protocol droid you meet at the spaceport who if you hack, will reveal an old recording with that Yoda guy.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Thanks for the info on Yoda, I'm happy that for once my brain didn't melt from hearing things from the EU.

SpookyLizard posted:

Also why are Jedi always made generals and commanding officers? Are they actually trained in any sort of tactics?

I was always partial to the theory that the people appointing Jedi as generals did so to counteract the Jedi's tendencies to fling themselves at their opponents like idiots and instead lead their armies from behind the front lines.

The Jedi wouldn't have any of that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

There was a Yoda dude in KOTOR, I remember that much. He doesn't make an appearance for KOTOR II though.

Forgot him, was only thinking later Eras. But yeah point is, there's not a heck of a lot of them.

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
Regarding that Darth Maul thing, there was actually a guy who survived being cut in half and now runs a shop called Half-Man Half-Price on small robot legs. But there is also some pretty horrible video around of a guy who didn't survive it (for long).

I only know this from reading threads when they revealed Maul was still alive last year.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
There's also a "Yoda Species" guy in SWTOR.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yoda was created by the Force.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Lucas is saving Yodas people for Episode VII: How The Force Got Its Groove Back.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Pope Mobile posted:

There's also a "Yoda Species" guy in SWTOR.

I think it' the same guy in the super holocrons

TOR also has an early questline for Jedi that involves fighting droids programmed with the newest Sith tactics to become certified to lead Republic troops. And in the background of the PT you can see a ton of people in the Jedi Temple. I always assumed that for every Obi Wan, Kit Fisto, or Plo Koon you had about a hundred Jedi that weren't hardass warrior types and instead were actually trying to solve things with diplomacy or spent their time researching/maintaining the archives.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Razorwired posted:

I think it' the same guy in the super holocrons

TOR also has an early questline for Jedi that involves fighting droids programmed with the newest Sith tactics to become certified to lead Republic troops. And in the background of the PT you can see a ton of people in the Jedi Temple. I always assumed that for every Obi Wan, Kit Fisto, or Plo Koon you had about a hundred Jedi that weren't hardass warrior types and instead were actually trying to solve things with diplomacy or spent their time researching/maintaining the archives.

My favorite thing about the PT-era EU is that it established that all failed Jedi candidates get sent into exile to be space farmers. Not even joking.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Agricorps

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

BonHair posted:

If memory serves, Yoda mostly drops that syntax (along with the persistent giggles) after revealing his identity to Luke. It struck me as part of the character he was playing to test Luke. Of course, the PT is stupid and goes back to using it constantly and awkwardly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Oh Christ no.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

They're not, really. I vaguely recall reading something somewhere about how a lot of jedi got a lot of clones killed because they were tactically retarded. But, at least at the start of the war, the Republic really had no military, and thus no commanding officers, to speak of.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm more pissed that I have to wait 5 years to see a good movie in 3D (It's Empire)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Emperors black Bones! Why do I have children, and why do they like the PT better.

Nobody tell them. Please.

Carl Von Awesomwitz
May 2, 2006

Sisko Lied, Romulans Died

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yoda looks both bored and irritated, like he is at the monthly Jedi HR meeting or something.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
It's cool how Anakin doesn't even appear on the poster beyond supposedly piloting that pod racer. That's a cool thing. In my opinion.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Van Dis posted:

It's cool how Anakin doesn't even appear on the poster beyond supposedly piloting that pod racer. That's a cool thing. In my opinion.

Isn't that a little ironic since Lucas keeps telling us that the entire saga (SIX MOVIES ONE STORY THERE ARE NO TRILOGIES ONLY THE SAGA) is just the story of Anakin Skywalker?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Derek Dominoe posted:

If memory serves, Yoda mostly drops that syntax (along with the persistent giggles) after revealing his identity to Luke. It struck me as part of the character he was playing to test Luke. Of course, the PT is stupid and goes back to using it constantly and awkwardly.

Yoda posted:

Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.

also

Yoda posted:

Decide you must, how to serve them best. If you leave now, help them you could; but you would destroy all for which they have fought, and suffered.

RE: the poster, at least Jar Jar isn't on it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I played it when it first came out in 1997. And 14 year old me thought it sucked. Hard. Gameplay was fun, don't get me wrong, but the cut scenes were truly terrible, and enough for me to not have many good memories of the game.
Whatever, I like them. For FMV it's pretty goddamn wonderful.

Powered Descent posted:

Solar sails have to be freaking GIGANTIC to do much of anything. The ridiculous little thing on Dooku's ship is even sillier than TIE fighters being powered by their "solar panels."
They have interstellar flight, hyper-efficient solar sails are not that hard to believe next most of the technology shown across a wide variety of media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Whatever, I like them. For FMV it's pretty goddamn wonderful.

They have interstellar flight, hyper-efficient solar sails are not that hard to believe next most of the technology shown across a wide variety of media.
F=ma just works man. Solar sails we have now are just as efficient as anything they'd have in star wars. There just aint much out there to push on 'em.

Well okay in star wars they probably figured out how to harness dark energy in their solar sails. Somehow. :rolleyes: