Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Paperweight posted:

What are you building? I completed an AMB Labs M3 headphone amp and Sigma 11 power supply this past spring with no problems. It is three channels including left, right and an active ground. Balanced is four channels with a ground for each side and if I remember right gives a 3dB boost to the signal to noise ratio if the signal source is also balanced. I don't think you're going to get that from an unbalanced source and headphone amp.

Well, theoretically if the ground of the amp is isolated from the source, and the input is differential the transmission should effectively be balanced AFAIK.

Anyway I ended up building a OPA2134+LME49600 amplifier with a standard regulated +-15V supply intended for audio mixers. It's a pretty simple and nice design with a DC-servo eliminating the need for DC blocking caps (I did add my own DC protection circuit as well).
I actually just finished building it on veroboard today after a week or two on a breadboard, unlike my old OPA2134 single chip amp it really improved the bass, and over all sound when playing louder. While the old solution could adequately drive about 1-2V RMS with my headset this will drive the full +-15V range no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

ChiTownEddie posted:

I found this ad on my local clist, I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about these parts (except the dvd player haha): http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/2645240047.html

Sony acoustic control stereo integrated amplifier, model #TA-AX285
Sony Quartz lock digital synthesizer tuner, model #ST-JX285
Sony automatic stereo turntable, model #PS-LX285
Pair of Sony floor speakers, SS-U420

I wasn't able to find a ton online, except that maybe these guys connect together in some proprietary/direct/unusual way?

Anywho any insight from people who know way more about turntables/audio equipment would be appreciated :)

My personal experience says that anything that is made of black plastic is probably made in the 80s or 90s, and generally not the best quality. From what I've seen, that's generally true for Sony around that time period as well.

The lack of info online for these specific models also suggests that it was sold as a stereo set at a department store like Sears. To hook everything up, you'd probably need no more than a few sets of stereo RCA cables and speaker wire. Some speakers from those kinds of sets have wires permanently attached to the speakers, so speaker wire is not required in that case. If the person selling it has it hooked up for you to demo before purchasing, chances are they're willing to throw in the cables for you.

If you are not overly concerned about amazing quality, and you just want something to give you a little taste of music on vinyl, then this set would certainly work. You could do a lot worse for $50, but don't expect to be blown away.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
If you're going for a Sony turntable from that era, you should be looking for the PS-X50 - X75 series models. They generally sell for under $200 on ebay and are probably better than 95% of turntables up to around the $1000 range. They sell for cheap because most people assume Sony=poo poo. The biotracer models are also good but replacing failing parts on them is hard since no one makes them anymore.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Not an Anthem posted:

Electric Bugaloo what is your max price for a turntable? MMF 2.2 does not have a 100$ bump in enjoyment, and that 100$ can go towards another table or other audio equipment. There are plenty of great turntables just over the Project Debut/Rega intro offerings pricepoint too.

Good question. I'm a recent college grad with loans and a degree in an art and a science and no desire to go to grad school who is currently working in Entertainment. TLDR: not a lot. Also, I need to get an amplifier/reciever/speakers/headphones- so again, not a lot and I'll probably try to hold onto this TT for a long haul if I can. That's why I'm sort of splitting hairs on '$500 vs. $400 vs. etc.' If $100 is going to buy me a TT with a sizable difference from one worth a bit less that can't be overcome with a cartridge/arm upgrade in the future, I may as well go for whatever gives me the most "quality staying power"-so to speak. I won't be upgrading to an $800+ table anytime within the next several years.

Edit: If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions (and "used Technics 1200" doesn't count- I've been looking on craigslist/ebay for almost 4 months and the ones I've gone out and seen in my sub-$500 range have definitely not been worth buying), I'm way open. I am a bit of a whore for aesthetic design (hence looking at the Debut/MMF 2.2) and I like the "colorful modernist slab" look but I can obviously chuck that out the window for tangible playing quality.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2011

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Good question. I'm a recent college grad with loans and a degree in an art and a science and no desire to go to grad school who is currently working in Entertainment. TLDR: not a lot. Also, I need to get an amplifier/reciever/speakers/headphones- so again, not a lot and I'll probably try to hold onto this TT for a long haul if I can. That's why I'm sort of splitting hairs on '$500 vs. $400 vs. etc.' If $100 is going to buy me a TT with a sizable difference from one worth a bit less that can't be overcome with a cartridge/arm upgrade in the future, I may as well go for whatever gives me the most "quality staying power"-so to speak. I won't be upgrading to an $800+ table anytime within the next several years.

Edit: If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions (and "used Technics 1200" doesn't count- I've been looking on craigslist/ebay for almost 4 months and the ones I've gone out and seen in my sub-$500 range have definitely not been worth buying), I'm way open. I am a bit of a whore for aesthetic design (hence looking at the Debut/MMF 2.2) and I like the "colorful modernist slab" look but I can obviously chuck that out the window for tangible playing quality.

If you're interested in the Pro-Ject RM5 SE, I might be willing to part with mine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ghumbs posted:

If you're interested in the Pro-Ject RM5 SE, I might be willing to part with mine.

Isn't that a $900+ table? If you're selling it in my price range (I mentioned sub $500- but I'll add "strong bias to 'least amount of money with acceptable results" to that) there must be something wrong with it.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ChiTownEddie posted:

I found this ad on my local clist, I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about these parts (except the dvd player haha): http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/2645240047.html

Sony acoustic control stereo integrated amplifier, model #TA-AX285
Sony Quartz lock digital synthesizer tuner, model #ST-JX285
Sony automatic stereo turntable, model #PS-LX285
Pair of Sony floor speakers, SS-U420

I wasn't able to find a ton online, except that maybe these guys connect together in some proprietary/direct/unusual way?

Anywho any insight from people who know way more about turntables/audio equipment would be appreciated :)

All of the hookups on that stuff should be standard RCA.

That Sony in particular isn't great, but it could be worse. It's marginally better than what I'm currently spinning on (a Sony PS-LX430), simply because it doesn't appear to be a P-mount; but it also looks like the US models came with plastic platters, which suck. (If I had to pick between my current one and that, I'd move my aluminum platter over and take that one.)

You sure as hell can do a lot worse for $50, like iamthejeff said, but there's nothing particularly remarkable about anything in that set.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Geez. What is your budget for the whole system? You can get a basic turntable for 20-50$ at a thrift store, used stereo/hifi shop and invest a bit into a receiver with phono, speakers, etc. I'm still using a cheap TT with great results.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

Geez. What is your budget for the whole system?

Maybe $1500 whole hog?

I realize that that hardly qualifies as "cheap" by most goon standards but I'm fortunate enough to be in a situation where I can swing a bit of cash if it'll get me a system worth holding onto for several years/longer. I have a borderline-obsessive "if you save for another X months, you can get something much better" purchasing philosophy (hence I agonize over stuff like this for up to years at a time before buying anything).

I highlighted my financial constraints to differentiate myself from the "Just blew a cool grand on a pair of Bowers/Wilkins, any suggestions for a sweet tube amp?" setups in A/V Arena but it's not like I'm living in a box, debating whether I'll spend my next paycheck on food or loans either.

I've considered the "thrift store/record store used TT" but haven't had much luck seeing anything worth getting. All of the record/hi fi stores near me that have survived the Walmart/Best Buy onslaught are hardcore audiophile places, and their used gear's never been what I'd call cheap.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 17, 2011

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I tend to do better for turntables and speakers at thrift stores and flea markets.
I've thought about advertising on craigslist to buy certain recievers, also.
I just bought some sansui sp 7500x speakers for 15$ at a thrift store. They are amazing.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
EB, I just didn't know if 400 was your budget total- 1500$ I get the picture and you've thought this out. If you really want to wring your hands about it- sit craigslist/audiogon/etc another few months, otherwise grab a turntable now. You would probably be happier with a decent DJ table, but that's my subjective opinion.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Fix my sibilance! It's driving me nuts!

Turntable is a Sony PS-LX430; Cartridge is an Audio-Technica Series 1 (of indeterminate age and exact model number, probably some time in the 80s). Stylus was recently replaced with a Audio-Technica ATN3472SE (0.3 mil elliptical).

Sibilance is terrible at, it seems, both extremes of a record (inner and outer edge), and doesn't seem to be an issue toward the center.

It's a P-Mount table, so there isn't a whole lot to adjust - the sub-weight is just slightly heavier than the 0 mark, anti-skate is the same.

I think it may actually be an unbalanced table, now that I've been working on it - nothing in my apartment is level, and I wouldn't be surprised if my turntable is also not level. Guess I'm off to the hardware store to get a cross level and see if that helps!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Welp, it just so happens that my dad would rather have his gear in use than sitting in his attic.

That takes care of the receiver:
It's a Nakamichi 'Receiver 2', circa 1990- which I can't find much on aside from the fact that people are selling them for anywhere from $120 to $350 online- which isn't bad at all for a piece of kit that cost $650 new. It's in fantastic shape (To think that we once tried to offload it for $30 in a tag sale a decade ago). My dad gave me that receiver outright and it sounds pretty great. Only complaint is that it's 2.0/4.0, without a subwoofer output. It's 55W but I have no idea if that's necessarily going to be a bad thing. The top of the line ('Receiver 3'- $950 new) had 75W so I'm not sweating that too much ATM.

And the turntable:
A Vector Research VT-250, circa 1982 (I think). Again, not much info online aside from someone saying it was "solid" and that VR was "a small California company that went bust in the mid-80's." It's auto, which is nice, and it's got cueing and other goodies for a simpleton like me. I think it's direct drive (it has a quartz timer). This one's on "extended loan"- which means I'll probably have it for a few years until the old man decides he needs it for something out of the blue.

As for speakers, I've got some $25 plastic-shelled Indoor/Outdoor KLH's hooked up at the moment. They sound like garbage. Since the receiver's 2.0, I'll be wanting something with good bass production, probably of the floor-standing variety (again, advice would be lovely. What can I expect in difference between say, some Mordaunt Short Carnival 6's versus a pair of Carnival 2's besides loudness?)

The best news is that I took a chunk of that "Receiver and Turntable" money and threw it towards picking up a few hundred bucks' worth of vinyl, including some fantastic rare stuff. Pictures forthcoming because the snotty hipster in me wants to share.:smug::pervert:

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Welp, it just so happens that my dad would rather have his gear in use than sitting in his attic.

That takes care of the receiver:
It's a Nakamichi 'Receiver 2', Only complaint is that it's 2.0/4.0, without a subwoofer output.

And the turntable:
A Vector Research VT-250, circa 1982 (I think).

Nice score!

RE: subwoofer with your Nak, just use an RCA Y-splitter coming out of the Pre outs there (they have jumpers connecting them in that pic). Or with subs that offer a high pass or line out, you can run your pre out to sub, sub out back to the main ins on the amp.

That pre-out function is super handy, you could also mix and match pre-amps/amps, or insert effects/processors/buffers inline.

Vector Research had some nice gear, I have one of their receivers. Much of their stuff was made in the same factories as NAD and Rotel of that era. I have never had a chance to look at their tables though.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

EB, I have the Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, just grabbed it because it was a 5$ Nak tape deck but didn't realize it was 90's and not that amazing. Works perfect for me though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

EB, I have the Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2, just grabbed it because it was a 5$ Nak tape deck but didn't realize it was 90's and not that amazing. Works perfect for me though.

From the limited amount of stuff I've heard, the /-1/-2/-3 series was pretty solid, though maybe not early '80s Nak good. The CD player-2 is apparently really sought after by hifi snobs. There's one sitting in my dad's attic but the thing is ENORMOUS (wider and much heavier than the receiver) so it'll stay there for the time being. Apparently the younger RE- series of stuff (circa '93) is what's "terrible" (though this is coming from the sort of crowd that think buying special speaker wire matters, so I'll take it with a grain of salt without an actual valid explanation).

Regardless of whether it sucks or not, I'm pleased as punch with the receiver for my tiny apartment setup though. I'll eventually have to pick up a 5.1 one + (much smaller and cheaper) speakers for home theater-type tomfoolery. Not a problem, as I like the idea of having a separate 2.0/2.1 music-only system-rather than try to compromise things or whatnot (it'll end up costing about the same as finding a 5.1 receiver with a phono preamp and HDMI/buying a cheap receiver and a preamp separately anyway since the Nak was free and I won't need something particularly nice for just movies/games) and I'm thinking of putting together an attractive little setup around a cabinet/sideboard with the turntable and a laptop/DAC. I also want to pick up a tube headphone amp that I'll run out of the pre-out on the Nak and a pair of Grados to complete the ensemble (way future plans). Then all I'll need is the leather Eames armchair next to the headphone amp and my master plan for domestic bliss will be complete (until then an IKEA Poang will have to do.)

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 24, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I was buying the CD player 2 with the cassette deck 2 for 5$ each but some old mom grabbed it randomly while I had pulled it from the shelf and ran to the checkout and bought it. I was flabbergasted that someone would do that at a thrift store.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Not an Anthem posted:

I was buying the CD player 2 with the cassette deck 2 for 5$ each but some old mom grabbed it randomly while I had pulled it from the shelf and ran to the checkout and bought it. I was flabbergasted that someone would do that at a thrift store.

Somewhere, some 60-year old dude with a ponytail and a Playstation 1 (apparently, there's a major contingent of audiophiles who swear that a specific model of PS1 produces top-tier CD fidelity) is getting ready to listen to Aja, Yes 1, We're Only in it For the Money, Wish You Were Here, So, and The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway without having to get up and swap CDs for the fist time since he got suckered into audiophilia. :(

Either that or maybe it was her husband's and she pulled it out of the basement and donated it without him knowing (It's her husband's because there are no female audio snobs).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 25, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just got a replacement mat for my Technics SL-1200 Mark II. I was a bit hesitant to order one, seeing as how it cost 44 € but holy poo poo that thing weighs more than the metal platter on a cheap turntable. I can definitely see how it could affect sound (through damping) but it's so thick I have to adjust my arm height again :(

The mat is still only a piece of rubber and I could have just ordered a suitable piece from a rubber shop (!) for slightly less. But it's an original spare part so it must be better! The molecules are aligned in a way more conductive to music than in regular rubber!

Also got the Disco-Antistat. It's a piece of poo poo but it's easier to clean records with it than without it. Though it does fuckall to thumbprints and set-in poo poo. And it's nigh impossible to pour the solution back into the bottle without it dripping all over the shop.

And I bought another record player from the recycling centre for 22 €. The Philips 777 is nothing to write home about but it's not ugly, it works just fine, and the Philips GP 400 (or 500) Mark II cartridge series is one of my favourites in the "you can have it for free" price range (once fitted with a GP 422 Mark II stylus). And it has leds and knobs and a built-in stylus pressure gauge :science:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

" posted:

(apparently, there's a major contingent of audiophiles who swear that a specific model of PS1 produces top-tier CD fidelity)

I can't believe people still believe this. I see wanted ads on Craigslist about this all the time. Pretty sure that was a joke that somehow became truth.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

empty baggie posted:

I can't believe people still believe this. I see wanted ads on Craigslist about this all the time. Pretty sure that was a joke that somehow became truth.

http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/708play

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I'm 99% sure the guy who wrote the article has no idea that the PS1 is from the early 90's. Also liked it when he (or his daughter, I guess) said that you could play Mario and Zelda games on it. And when he said that it was smooth. I wanna start buying 'em up at Goodwills in order to hawk them for hundreds of dollars to bearded guys with $15,000 hifi setups in a few years.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 27, 2011

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

Whatever my sega dreamcast has much higher fidelity when playing pink floyd lp's.

I've heard of the PS cd player/audiophilia thing and yes, they are stupid.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, reviews like that are around the internet, but I remember an article several years ago written by a guy who claimed to have made a joke blog post about the PS1, and it was taken as fact by a bunch of audiophiles. Sadly, I can't find the article now, but as much as some so-called audiophiles buy into crazy snake-oil medicine garbage, it's not hard to believe.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So I just got a turntable for free from a friend...
It is a JVC L-A120, and most definitely needs a new belt. No problem I can do that, but I was wondering if I should replace the needle/cartridge.

I am not totally clear on what needs to be replaced with that. This turntable appears to have two parts when you pull off the head, one is the black part that has the lil cables, and the other is the metal box with 4 plugs and the needle. This is a AT SLT88E.
I am guessing I only need to replace the little removable box thing with the needle...should I try and get the same thing? Where should I be looking for this part? haha and am I even making sense?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

So I just got a turntable for free from a friend...
It is a JVC L-A120, and most definitely needs a new belt. No problem I can do that, but I was wondering if I should replace the needle/cartridge.

I am not totally clear on what needs to be replaced with that. This turntable appears to have two parts when you pull off the head, one is the black part that has the lil cables, and the other is the metal box with 4 plugs and the needle. This is a AT SLT88E.
I am guessing I only need to replace the little removable box thing with the needle...should I try and get the same thing? Where should I be looking for this part? haha and am I even making sense?

A new stylus assembly is what you need. In case you're not from the States, I'd suggest trying stylusplus.co.uk or William Thakker but neither seemed to have that.

There's probably no need to change the whole cartridge unless it looks rusty or something. The E probably stands for elliptical so it's already better than a lot of cheap pick-ups. It's usually very simple to replace (if you haven't already managed to remove the old stylus, what you wrote doesn't actually make a whole lot of sense to me :) EDIT: Eh, maybe it's a P-mount? Can't tell because:)

Also, to you and everyone else: always take a couple of pics and post them

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Something has happened to my turntable. I had a record in, it was playing quite fine, then I switched it out for another record, and suddenly it was sounding extra horrible and scratchy. So I switched that out, and now everything sounds like that! I'm assuming it's a problem with the cartridge and specifically, the stylus. It's an older Pioneer PL-514 table with its original cartridge - a QLM 34. Any ideas what might be up? I'm wondering if I accidentally knocked it or something.

I'm playing it through a DJ Pre II Phono Preamp and M-Audio AV 30 speakers. As far as I can tell, the preamp isn't the problem and I know the speakers aren't, both are brand new.

Sorry about the poor picture quality, I'm not even sure if it's helpful.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Also, to you and everyone else: always take a couple of pics and post them

haha Should have done that sorry.

So yeah I am guessing I just need that stylus you linked to! Thanks for the site!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MokBa posted:

Something has happened to my turntable. I had a record in, it was playing quite fine, then I switched it out for another record, and suddenly it was sounding extra horrible and scratchy. So I switched that out, and now everything sounds like that! I'm assuming it's a problem with the cartridge and specifically, the stylus. It's an older Pioneer PL-514 table with its original cartridge - a QLM 34. Any ideas what might be up? I'm wondering if I accidentally knocked it or something.

I'm playing it through a DJ Pre II Phono Preamp and M-Audio AV 30 speakers. As far as I can tell, the preamp isn't the problem and I know the speakers aren't, both are brand new.

Sorry about the poor picture quality, I'm not even sure if it's helpful.

Well a new stylus should cost around 20 dollars on-line so if that's the problem it's not too expensive to check. If the stylus assembly is really old, the cantilever suspension might have just given up. Or maybe the diamond tip fell off :)

Though it doesn't look like that from the picture, something like this might also happen if one of the leads breaks on it's own (not exactly a common phenomenon unless the unit has been kept in really lovely conditions for years or if you fiddle with them continuously).

If you're unlucky it's some other bit of wire or solder somewhere.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well a new stylus should cost around 20 dollars on-line so if that's the problem it's not too expensive to check. If the stylus assembly is really old, the cantilever suspension might have just given up. Or maybe the diamond tip fell off :)

If the "diamond tip" falling off is a thing, I'm fairly sure that's what actually happened. If I look at it real close, the tip on the stylus (the part that touches the vinyl) appears to be flat instead of pointed. The sound is scratchy, but there also appears to be a faint echo where it's playing the previous rotation ever so slightly, which could be caused by the thick radius on the needle against the record. I'm hesitant to let it touch any of my records for further testing though, as I don't want them damaged.

I only bought the turntable less than 2 weeks ago, and it has a 30-day return policy on it, which I'm hoping might extend to them fixing whatever issue I have for free. Unfortunately, the shop is an hour away in Salt Lake so I wouldn't be able to visit until Tuesday. I'm just hoping the problem is resolved as soon as possible!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The actual diamond in inexpensive systems is usually glued to a metal shaft so it is a distinct possibility. Hope you get it sorted.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

ChiTownEddie posted:

For future reference, the box thing is called a cartridge, and the black part with the wires is called a headshell.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Okay, thanks. Now I won't sound so ridiculous when I ask questions in the future :P

An0
Nov 10, 2006
I enjoy eating After Eights. I also enjoy eating Old El Paso salsa with added Tobasco.
Hello, I want to start buying records, and need a turntable. I've already got a receiver and speakers.

I'm looking at the local second-hand market, and found a Stanton T60 for 100€ (so like 120$) Good idea? The other options are either proper expensive DJ ones, or cheap broken turntables where the seller is like "yeah you can buy the replacement parts easy".

Ad here:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/230748590.htm?ca=13_s

I've also found this ad for a Marantz turntable http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/250263618.htm?ca=13_s

It doesn't say which model - what price should I offer him?

Are there any models I could get new you would suggest otherwise? The ones in the OP are not on amazon here. The cheapest models on Amazon (80-100€) are from brands called Lenco and Ion. Should I avoid these?

Do you have suggestions for older, popular, and reliable turntables which I can buy blindfolded if they're still working?

An0 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 31, 2011

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

An0 posted:

Hello, I want to start buying records, and need a turntable. I've already got a receiver and speakers.

I'm looking at the local second-hand market, and found a Stanton T60 for 100€ (so like 120$) Good idea? The other options are either proper expensive DJ ones, or cheap broken turntables where the seller is like "yeah you can buy the replacement parts easy".

Ad here:
http://www.leboncoin.fr/instruments_de_musique/230748590.htm?ca=13_s

I've also found this ad for a Marantz turntable http://www.leboncoin.fr/image_son/250263618.htm?ca=13_s

It doesn't say which model - what price should I offer him?

Are there any models I could get new you would suggest otherwise? The ones in the OP are not on amazon here. The cheapest models on Amazon (80-100€) are from brands called Lenco and Ion. Should I avoid these?

Do you have suggestions for older, popular, and reliable turntables which I can buy blindfolded if they're still working?

That model of Stanton has a tonearm that is built for skip-resistance (for scratching), not sound quality or low record wear. (Or to put it bluntly: it sounds bad and wears down records.)

Avoid the Lenco and Ion (Lenco used to make good record players but poo poo Manufacturing Company now owns the name.)

The Marantz might be good or not. Generally speaking it's completely possible to get a good used record player for around 20€, buy a new belt on-line for 9€, and a new needle for 20€ and be done with it. But there's no patent solution.

If the Marantz system is in working condition and sounds nice, why not offer 40€ and see where that goes? No point in buying it for more than 20€ if the seller is all "I don't know how it sounds". Also, if the seller hasn't seen fit to put in a model number, they probably don't know poo poo anyway :-/

internetdrink
Mar 24, 2011

"May contain traces of nuts"

An0 posted:

Dual from the seventies

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recently picked up an SL-1800 (for 130 bucks, too) and it has a 680 EL cart on it. Is this a good cart for just listening and no DJing, and if so, what are the recommended ranges for counterweight and tracking pressure on this? Don't wanna gently caress up any of my records before I even get to listen to them.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Stuntman posted:

Recently picked up an SL-1800 (for 130 bucks, too) and it has a 680 EL cart on it. Is this a good cart for just listening and no DJing, and if so, what are the recommended ranges for counterweight and tracking pressure on this? Don't wanna gently caress up any of my records before I even get to listen to them.

The 680EL is sold as a DJ cart, but it should track starting at 2 grams, which is OK, and has an elliptical stylus. I'd be fine with it personally as long as it's in good shape.

Most DJ carts track around 4 and have a conical stylus.

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

BattleHork posted:

The 680EL is sold as a DJ cart, but it should track starting at 2 grams, which is OK, and has an elliptical stylus. I'd be fine with it personally as long as it's in good shape.

Most DJ carts track around 4 and have a conical stylus.

Personally, I've found that the 680 EL tracks right around 2.5 grams, 2 is kind of pushing it. It's OK as a hifi cart, but you might want something with a lighter tracking force. I think 2.5+ grams is a bit heavy for an elliptical stylus. 680 EL also isn't exactly "neutral" sounding. The highs and lows are emphasized and the mids are a little scooped out.

The 680 EL shares the same body as the Stanton 681 EEE, so you might consider getting a 681 EEE stylus for it. Much better sound, and they track great at around ~1.5g.

EDIT: I've heard that quality control on Stanton styli has gone off a bit lately. Apparently this stylus is a better alternative to the Stanton brand replacements:
http://www.lpgear.com/product/STNS681EEEMK2S.html

I don't have any experience with it personally, but it might be something worth looking into. I've been planning on getting one when my current Stanton stylus wears out.

Funeral Pudding fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmasterflex
Jul 16, 2009
Just got a Toshiba SA-775 from my uncle, any suggestions for speakers to go with it?