Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

Alright; kinda an off topic question, but how is everyone keeping their fighter likes interesting?

Compared to DnD 4e or Pathfinder, which in melee types have alot of interesting options (Rage powers in pathfinder, or really anything in 4e (Not essentials)); while GURPS kinda still has the 'I attack it.'

I have some things in place thats allowing fighter-types to have more 'tools' for combat (Like a mage's spell list), but I feel its a bit far away. How's everyone else handling this problem?

In the basic books alone, you have All-Out Attack (three or four kinds), Move and Attack, Feint, Disarm, Slam, sweeping attack, All-Out Defense, hitting the dirt, plus a robust hit location system... if you add Martial Arts you get a couple of dozen alternate attacks, more maneuvers, combat perks. GURPS is arguably one of the most textured systems for playing a fighter ever written. The key is to familiarize yourself with the combat system. By the time they've spend their first character point on Broadsword, a GURPS combatant already has access to about thirty "spells."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011
Yeah, saying "I attack" is sort of insufficient. You punching? Kicking? Using a weapon? Thrust or swing? What body part are you targeting? Is it an all out, committed, or defensive attack? Telegraphic? Wanna use extra effort?

Then there are the martial art (or tactical shooting) techniques, most of which can be used at default.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I guess I worded that wrong; I was looking more towards are things like Power blow or Push; much like what Martial Artists get, with out the Kung-fu associated. More cinematic, I suppose. I'm currently allowing players to take techniques of Leadership to grant bonuses to allies from the fighter's fatigue pool, but I really don't have anything for barbarian/roguelikes.

I'll look into the Martial Arts book; see if it has anything of interest.

On an off note; whats the density of GURPS players for a DF GURPS game?

psychopomp
Jan 28, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

I guess I worded that wrong; I was looking more towards are things like Power blow or Push; much like what Martial Artists get, with out the Kung-fu associated.

All Out Attacks and Committed Attacks give you a bonus to damage (or to-hit) at the expense of defense.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
If you want all sorts of goofy combat options for melee types you can't really go wrong with GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. DF 11, especially, outlines a pretty amazing array of combat powerups that make frontliners extremely efficient at combat.

The main thing about GURPS combat for fighting types doesn't come from "special powers" - it comes from smart play using the tools that you have. Unless you are explicitly placing characters in a situation where there aren't things to go into melee with all the time, there should be no shortage of stuff to do. Even when the basic options are not enough there are a lot of techniques. Martial Arts is just full of them, in addition to fighting styles, new weapons to take advantage of, and all sorts of other stuff to make "dude with sword and shield" turn into "trademark move: flurry attack with extra effort, deceptive attack -10 to one arm, and then the same thing to the other arm, followed up by a shield punch to the head to cave this guy's skull in."

If you're looking for something World of Warcraft-y or D&D 4e powers style, you may be looking at the wrong system.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

TalonDemonKing posted:

I guess I worded that wrong; I was looking more towards are things like Power blow or Push; much like what Martial Artists get, with out the Kung-fu associated. More cinematic, I suppose. I'm currently allowing players to take techniques of Leadership to grant bonuses to allies from the fighter's fatigue pool, but I really don't have anything for barbarian/roguelikes.

If you want more cartoonish stuff, like you seem to want to run GURPS D&D 4E, look to Martial Arts for a lot more options or even Powers. The Imbuements book will make you even happier, I think. But if you really need to have a whacky name and power for each attack you do then yeah, probably best to just stick with 4E.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TalonDemonKing posted:

Weapon Masters can straight take Power Blow and a couple other cinematic skills under the core rules. You can also look at the Extra Effort in Combat rules, which are optional but quite applicable for warrior types, the combat power-ups in DF3 and DF11, Martial Arts (basically the whole book), etc.

But I find the default rules are generally pretty sufficient. There are a lot of options there which I guess you didn't read.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

TalonDemonKing posted:

Other than the obvious 'GURPS players are pretty dense :haw:' I'm not sure what you mean here. if you mean availability of players if you ran a PbP game here, you'd probably do okay.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Winson_Paine posted:

The Imbuements book will make you even happier, I think.

This shows how bad of a GM I am. Totally forgot about this book; I'll be handing this over to the party's fighter next time we meet up.

I guess the problem does kind of stem from 4e, as that is what the group is used to, where fighters have as flashy moves as any other class, which is what they prefered over 3.5e. We ran a super's mini-campaign a while back to introduce them to the GURPS system, with me telling them that they had no limit on their characters, as long as it was under 500 points. The game was quick, wacky, and they had alot of fun, so we moved over from DnD to GURPS: DF, melee types feeling on par with Mage types due to the amount of innate attacks and stupidly high STR they could buy. Our current mage is running alot of meta-magic feats(Lend Spell being on of his favorites), and our party's martial artist/rogue has alot of cinematic skills (Power blow/push/flying leap), so our fighter feels a bit underwhelmed with what he can do.

Imbuments should 'level' the playing field -- They're something unique that the rest of the party doesn't have, plus some of it will fit very well with the evil campaign running on right now. I've explained to her the 'called shots', the extra effort, and the Martial Arts book; but I guess that just didn't stick to her as making herself feel useful.

Now, for DF campaigns, how many points are you starting the characters out at? The evil campaign I'm running is at 500, but for something more serious I'm thinking half -- 250 points (Which is the same as the DF Templates), but not enough for templates + racial templates.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

TalonDemonKing posted:

This shows how bad of a GM I am. Totally forgot about this book; I'll be handing this over to the party's fighter next time we meet up.

I guess the problem does kind of stem from 4e, as that is what the group is used to, where fighters have as flashy moves as any other class, which is what they prefered over 3.5e. We ran a super's mini-campaign a while back to introduce them to the GURPS system, with me telling them that they had no limit on their characters, as long as it was under 500 points. The game was quick, wacky, and they had alot of fun, so we moved over from DnD to GURPS: DF, melee types feeling on par with Mage types due to the amount of innate attacks and stupidly high STR they could buy. Our current mage is running alot of meta-magic feats(Lend Spell being on of his favorites), and our party's martial artist/rogue has alot of cinematic skills (Power blow/push/flying leap), so our fighter feels a bit underwhelmed with what he can do.

Imbuments should 'level' the playing field -- They're something unique that the rest of the party doesn't have, plus some of it will fit very well with the evil campaign running on right now. I've explained to her the 'called shots', the extra effort, and the Martial Arts book; but I guess that just didn't stick to her as making herself feel useful.

Now, for DF campaigns, how many points are you starting the characters out at? The evil campaign I'm running is at 500, but for something more serious I'm thinking half -- 250 points (Which is the same as the DF Templates), but not enough for templates + racial templates.

250 is what the game is designed to start at. 300 is usually a good place to start if your players are experienced and understand the options on the table since it allows a fleshed out single-class character, a racial template, or a lens. 500 is pretty much crazy.

Also if your Knight player feels bored with just hacking stuff to pieces, you should just tell them to roll a Mystic Knight (which is, technically speaking, how imbuements are "officially" integrated into DF), Holy Warrior, Martial Artist, or take a lens. There's no shame in wanting some supernatural powerups... it's just that the Knight is explicitly non-supernatural so I dunno what your player expected when they rolled one.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I have another Infinite Worlds question, this time on the pricing of Unusual Backgrounds. If players want to have access to Magery or Psionic Talents/Abilities, my initial reaction from reading the Advantage in Basic Set was to price it at 10 points: not exactly a common thing to have but also not game-breaking enough to warrant simply doubling the cost (like with something as powerful as Unkillable.) Does this seem fair, as to me 10 seems like what the Advantage was intended for but still seems cheap.
Any thoughts?

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I have another Infinite Worlds question, this time on the pricing of Unusual Backgrounds. If players want to have access to Magery or Psionic Talents/Abilities, my initial reaction from reading the Advantage in Basic Set was to price it at 10 points: not exactly a common thing to have but also not game-breaking enough to warrant simply doubling the cost (like with something as powerful as Unkillable.) Does this seem fair, as to me 10 seems like what the Advantage was intended for but still seems cheap.
Any thoughts?

10 point is probably reasonable for a Homeline native. However, I wouldn't charge anything for a survey team member who has such abilities if it makes sense for their assignment. And in an I-Swat campaign, it's hard to imagine what would qualify as truly unusual.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

pawsplay posted:

10 point is probably reasonable for a Homeline native. However, I wouldn't charge anything for a survey team member who has such abilities if it makes sense for their assignment. And in an I-Swat campaign, it's hard to imagine what would qualify as truly unusual.

I know it's going to be par for the course to be something as 'mundane' as a psionic or mage, I just wanted some sort of cost to differentiate someone who decides to be from Yrth and someone who's from an 'ordinary' TL 8 Earth parallel.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Well the dude from Yrth would have to buy a few levels of High TL in order to not be using swords and poo poo.

*EDIT*
Misread your premise, so that doesn't exactly apply, but still in a case like I-SWAT that kind of thing probably doesn't warrant an artificial handicap.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Any thoughts?

If everyone is from some exotic worldline, exotic traits shouldn't be priced up with Unusual Background. They're par for the course.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

So, after a long weekend of doing nothing but reading Blackbird Dreaming in PbP I decided to take the plunge on GURPS. After skimming the basic set I think I'm hooked, guys.

I decided to start brainstorming a campaign for my friends in a TL 9 anachronistic neo-noir world. I've done some preliminary research and recruited another friend to help me with world building. Last night we composed a rough 35 year timeline leading up to the events of the game, and it ended up being like 4 pages long. Now I'm in the process of writing a short in-game history book fleshing out the details. I by no means plan on having it required reading for my players either. At most I expect them to scan the timeline to get a general idea of the world they're going to be roleplaying in. But...but, I'm having all sorts of fun writing this book and I figure it would be a cool thing to have on the off-chance they do want to read it.

Goddamnit, I blame each and every one of you for this* :(

I just hope I can get everything together in a timely manner and don't gently caress up too horribly as the GM.

*this, meaning loads of loving fun.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I know it's going to be par for the course to be something as 'mundane' as a psionic or mage, I just wanted some sort of cost to differentiate someone who decides to be from Yrth and someone who's from an 'ordinary' TL 8 Earth parallel.

Yeah, no need for Exotic Backgrounds in an Infinite Worlds campaign - a guy who is tough as nails and is a crack shot with an assault rifle is as "exotic" as a fireball casting mage. Same thing, different worlds.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Real quick: Technique for 0U parry weapons to be conisidered 0 parry. I know there's the dwarven item mod that allows for it, I was just wondering if there was a skill technqiue instead.

Also, is there a comprehensive list of all cost modifiers for weapons? I know there are several scattered across the DF series, but I know in High-tech there are Monofilament blades and super/hyper dense as well. Specifically I'm looking for one that increases holdout (Collapsable?), but I can't remember where I read it at.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TalonDemonKing posted:

Real quick: Technique for 0U parry weapons to be conisidered 0 parry. I know there's the dwarven item mod that allows for it, I was just wondering if there was a skill technqiue instead.

Also, is there a comprehensive list of all cost modifiers for weapons? I know there are several scattered across the DF series, but I know in High-tech there are Monofilament blades and super/hyper dense as well. Specifically I'm looking for one that increases holdout (Collapsable?), but I can't remember where I read it at.

How does an unbalanced weapon behave in a parry situation again?

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

If you attack, you cannot parry. If you parry, you cannot attack.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TalonDemonKing posted:

If you attack, you cannot parry. If you parry, you cannot attack.

I don't know anything off the top of my head, however for a house rule you could probably implement allowing it as two weapon fighting, maybe make the difficulty a step down to compensate. So you can parry and attack in the same turn, as if you were fighting with a weapon in each hand?

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Martial Arts has an Extra Effort option to allow someone who attacked with an unbalanced weapon or anyone who used a Move and Attack to parry again. It also has the Defensive Attack maneuver which attacks for less damage but gives balanced weapons a bonus to parry or lets unbalanced weapons parry normally.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Lynx Winters posted:

Martial Arts has an Extra Effort option to allow someone who attacked with an unbalanced weapon or anyone who used a Move and Attack to parry again. It also has the Defensive Attack maneuver which attacks for less damage but gives balanced weapons a bonus to parry or lets unbalanced weapons parry normally.
Doesn't seem too out there for either of these options to get a Technique to off-set the drawback, to answer TalonDemonKing's original question.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well, you can't really technique away Extra Effort, but you probably could for Defensive Attack.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
You can't technique away the downsides of all-out attacks, why should you be able to do it in the other direction? Personally I don't see what's wrong with just letting someone buy the Dwarven option. Call it something else like Versatile if there's no dwarves in your game.

pawsplay
Jul 12, 2011
You could just use the +5 ST rule for both heavy weapons and for Parry "U" weapons. In that case, you could a Perk or Technique to improve ST for that specific purpose.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Defensive attack should work by itself. Until you hit 3+ dice defensive attack with an axe isn't that much different than a regular attack with a sword. For comparison:

Axe (Defensive Attack): DMG - Swing +2 -1/dice or -2, $50, 4 lbs, ST 11
Broadsword: DMG - sw + 1, $500, 3 lbs, ST 10

Axes are a lot cheaper but the sword does a bit more damage. You also still have the option of going for a normal attack at the standard bonus. I think the most I'd allow is a perk to give +1 damage to Defensive attack for a specific weapon skill, so you'd generally be at -1 damage until really high strength.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

We've settled the 0U parry via technique; using a 'Technique passive' much akin to the Recover fatigue spell in order not to bog down the game with dice rolls for every attack. Costed the player 4 points; so hes happy with it, and it's been working out fine without any balance issues. 4 points into signature gear would be enough at TL4 to buy a +4 CF(Dwarven) for any weapon anyways, so this works out well. I'll crosspost this in the SJgames forums to see if they come up with anything different.

Edit: For my fighter that I mentioned earlier about the lack of options, I'm thinking about making 'GURPS the Gathering' esq cards that have all of the options avaliable to vanilla fighters, like all out attack or the like. I know the combat cards have been done before, but they lack -all- of the options.So, off the top of my head:

Attack
Move
Move and Attack
Concentrate
Ready
Evaluate
Aim
All out Attack(Strong)
All out Attack(Double)
All out Attack(Long)
Defensive Attack
Concentrated Attack
Telegraphic Attack
All out Defense
Feint
Ruse
Beat
Deceptive Attack
Riposte

Dodge
Parry
Block
Retreat
Duck
Dive for cover
Hit the ground

Extra Effort Rules...

I'm away from my books right now, so if anyone wants to help me fill out the list (Or provide any ideas)

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 21, 2011

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

All Out Attack (Determined)
Retreating Dodge
Acrobatic Dodge
Dive for Cover
Dodge and Drop
Sacrifical Dodge

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

And they always popular in Dungeon Fantasy acrobatic upward retreating dodge.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

There's also Standing <-> Kneeling and Prone <-> Kneeling

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

And Standing <-> Sitting, Standing <-> Crouch, Sitting <-> Lying down.

Also Committed Attack (Determined), Committed Attack (Strong), Reverse Grip. All-Out Defence (Double), All-Out Defence (Increased).

I actually started work on doing something similar. I made some combat cards which I think someone posted a link to on the first page, but I decided to make some updated one for the bronze age campaign I'm running at the moment.

Happy to post them somewhere if you want a starting point, but they're still a bit rough.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like GURPS: Social Engineering finally came out after, I dunno, a year in development. It's 88 pages and sounds like it has a ton in it:

Since the dawn of time, humans have relied on social abilities to survive, thrive, and ensure the continuation of the species. However, these interactions have traditionally been addressed with far fewer rules than combat and other physical challenges. GURPS Social Engineering changes everything.

This supplement provides detailed rules for every type of common social interaction. Now it's easy to play a hero who's charming, deceptive, intimidating, or witty, even if you're not! In addition to an extensive overview on the possibilities of social interactions in a campaign, this supplement includes:
  • A detailed examination of Rank, Status, Reputation, and more, including new options and possibilities for each trait.
  • Systems for one-on-one interactions, including using Influence skills and social-perception abilities – as well as both indirect and group interactions. Haggle in person, intimidate by phone, or orchestrate a group con!
  • An in-depth look at reaction rolls in GURPS, including commercial transactions, requests for aid, searching for people and things, and romance.
  • Details on deception – learn how your hero can distract, lie, or assume a false identity . . . or spot such dishonesty.
  • Rules for building relationships, including details on how to establish trust and personal loyalty, and new options for Allies, Contacts, Dependents, and Patrons.
  • Extensive insight on organizations: how to find, infiltrate, and influence any type of group – including your place of employment!
  • Rules for hostile organizations. Discover the mechanics behind arrest, imprisonment, brainwashing, and more.
  • Systems for influencing groups of people. Start rumors, influence the media, advertise, conduct psy ops, or get involved in politics!
  • Insight into more forceful measures, including intimidation, inciting a riot, taunting, and how to start – or avoid – a fight.
Whether you're shaking down a punk for information, tricking your way into a high-powered office, courting the governor's daughter, or performing a vital diplomatic function, GURPS Social Engineering has rules and tools you can use. It's a social world; become part of it!

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/socialengineering/

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

JohnWilkesGoonth posted:

get involved in politics!

I find this bit and your user name way too funny.

Whats the possibility of getting a small goon group together to do GURPS? I got some campaigns laying about here and there, but the lack of players has always been killer for one of my favorite systems. If we can get a solid headcount and everyone is up for it, we could even start this weekend; and I have a good amount of campaign material written out for DF and some Elite commando time squad.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
When were you thinking? Because I am probably down if I can swing it, however there's a good chance I can't swing it for a few weeks yet.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Somewhere in my million tabs, my reply was typed out but never posted.

I was looking for a quick over the weekend type run through; so its a good thing there wasn't alot of interest shown. I'll probably end up running the campaign for the first time with the group, but if its enjoyable I'll try to get a recruitment up for goons. I expect it to run 1-2 sessions, so I'll give y'all a trip report after this upcoming weekend; after the first run.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

I'd definitely be interested if you're starting a game up. I've wanted to get into GURPS for a long time now, I've got a couple dozen 3e books that I've read but never gotten the chance to play (used to work at a FLGS about 10 years ago) and I feel like I could maybe get my local group to give it a shot if only one of us actually knew how to play.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I'm running 4e right now; I got a couple of campaigns (Dungeon Fantasy; Space Opera; Supers) that I have on the back burner, in addition to the one I'm running soon. If anyone knows how to work IRC or some sort of chat program with a dice roll feature; I'll be willing to GM a game.

I find Supers works best for teaching people how to play; especially coming off of DnD. Telling people 'Yeah, go ahead and build whatever you want', and have them coming out with:

Super luck dude
Space Marine
Fat guy who thinks hes a hit with all the ladies. Lard based powers
Insectoid sniper
Time wizard in full swat gear riding a bicycle.
Green lantern, except blue

Is a pretty fun campaign to run.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Looking into picking up a GURPS book because, hell, I'm just a sucker for rules systems. Is Characters sufficient to play a character, and Settings is just for the DM, or are both really necessary to play the game? I've glanced over Lite, and it's not quite enough in terms of Advantages/Disadvantages/Skills for my tastes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Gravity Pike posted:

Looking into picking up a GURPS book because, hell, I'm just a sucker for rules systems. Is Characters sufficient to play a character, and Settings is just for the DM, or are both really necessary to play the game? I've glanced over Lite, and it's not quite enough in terms of Advantages/Disadvantages/Skills for my tastes.

You could use Characters and Lite to run a game if you want. I'd recommend picking up the other core book if it looks like your group's going to enjoy playing GURPS.

• Locked thread