Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
After a good night's sleep

MA-Horus posted:

:stare:

Get everything, every course, all of them. That owns.

Agreed, you fuckin own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Samu posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going on a CQC course, a snowmobile course, and I got my name put in for a US Army Ranger course.

Snowmobile qualifications own. I love when I get asked what vehicles I can drive and I always say Snowmobile/ATV first. I'm always asked, "You seriously have that course?"

Literally all you do on course is bomb around driving snowmobiles.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ranger course is just phase 3 infantry without leadership isn't it? Being on phase 3 right now I would say stay the gently caress away but I'd take it to given enough time off course. Pain is easy to forget.

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010

Flanker posted:

Supposed to be really PT intensive. Borderline cansof selection

Talked to a CPL who did a Close Protection tour, he said selection it is around CANSOF PT requirements without the negative reinfocements and your selection instructors making GBS threads on you constantly making you redo those push up sets 5x over because the last 3 looked girly.

On another note should be starting BMQ in a couple weeks over the weekends got all my kit!

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE

Tom Swift posted:

Talked to a CPL who did a Close Protection tour, he said selection it is around CANSOF PT requirements without the negative reinfocements and your selection instructors making GBS threads on you constantly making you redo those push up sets 5x over because the last 3 looked girly.

On another note should be starting BMQ in a couple weeks over the weekends got all my kit!

Right on. What city/unit?

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
My officer pulled me aside to talk about the Ranger course today. They're one running in January, February and May. The battalion is kind of having tryouts, which I think is awesome. I know I can outrun most of my regiment, do at least 50 - 60 decent pushups and do 60 situps in a minute. The give you 2 minutes to do 49 pushups, and 2 minutes for 59 sit ups and 5 miles in 40 minutes. Easy poo poo. My one weakness is chin ups, so I'm going to start pumping them out non stop, even so the requirement is only 6.

From what I've been able to find out ranger course is basic para, basic air assault, basic recce, and desrt and mountain ops and like 3's level infantry field work all rolled into one. It's a 61 training day course. I'm going to find the only guy I know in the unit who's recce qualified and ask him if he can help me out. Supposed to be the toughest non SF/diver course in the world.

God drat it I am getting so hooked up I can't believe it. I'm going to have such blue balls when some pickly does a million pushups and kills my run times haha

Samu fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 18, 2011

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Hey guys, if anyone still remembers me, I left the army about a year and a half ago in order to do my masters degree. Now I'm 11 months shy of finishing the degree and thinking of going back to the army when I'm done. Is this a terrible idea?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Mr.48 posted:

Hey guys, if anyone still remembers me, I left the army about a year and a half ago in order to do my masters degree. Now I'm 11 months shy of finishing the degree and thinking of going back to the army when I'm done. Is this a terrible idea?

Yes.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

Samu posted:

RANGER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lzbr6fPDmkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT1xh3yQ0iI

I think these 2 videos can show you what Ranger school would be like.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Supposed to be the toughest non SF/diver course in the world.

This is sorta an exaggeration. Canada offers/has offered several tougher non-SF courses, and I've personally met lots and lots of ranger graduates who are absolutely useless in the field. I know that's not a real indication of how tough a course is, but compared to the caliber of soldier I've seen come out of, say a Canadian pathfinder course, it's quite a big difference.

That being said, it's a great course to be on, a great course to have, and something pretty loving rare to have on your DEU's. So here's hoping you get on it!

acumen fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 18, 2011

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Pathfinder was loving insane though. 5% average pass rate or something?

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010

Mr.48 posted:

To elaborate on what Spirit Otter said, it's a terrible idea not just because the army sucks, but also because with Afghanistan winding down/done we just aren't getting the kind of money we were before. On top of that, we are now being reminded of all kinds of lovely tasks we've been able to do sparingly or not at all with Afghanistan as an excuse.

So the budget to do cool poo poo is smaller, which means more of the poo poo we do is gay. In addition, they're cutting allowances and that sort of thing all over. Besides that, our most important tasks have become poo poo like sov ops. (Which, if you're not familiar, is to go to the arctic circle and do some stupid army poo poo just to remind Greenland that we own it.)

Will there still be cool poo poo? Yes. I mean, just look a couple posts up at Samu. (Also, Samu, congrats as gently caress, and I'm glad as poo poo that you're enthused. Please stay of high morale as long as you possibly can.) The ratio of terrible gay army poo poo to cool poo poo is leaning further and further towards terrible gay army poo poo. And it leaned that way pretty hard in the first place.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Thanks Morristron, and you guys all laughed at me for having high morale after my three's haha

I got the course dates for Ranger school, 03 Jan to 21 March, battalion selection is late November and I've started DAG and american physical exam paperwork. Selection is a little close for comfort but I am going to start beasting myself so I can at least say I prepared myself as best I can for whatever the selection process is. Even if I don't get the course I'll be able to keep my head high.

The army's not a bad go if you work hard and get lucky. It can be absolutely terrible at times but I've found it normally works out if you don't bitch and do your best when given a task even when people might make fun of you for it. Hater's gonna hate.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Samu posted:

Thanks Morristron, and you guys all laughed at me for having high morale after my three's haha

I got the course dates for Ranger school, 03 Jan to 21 March, battalion selection is late November and I've started DAG and american physical exam paperwork. Selection is a little close for comfort but I am going to start beasting myself so I can at least say I prepared myself as best I can for whatever the selection process is. Even if I don't get the course I'll be able to keep my head high.

The army's not a bad go if you work hard and get lucky. It can be absolutely terrible at times but I've found it normally works out if you don't bitch and do your best when given a task even when people might make fun of you for it. Hater's gonna hate.

You've got a good attitude about it. If you go into Ranger with that kinda attitude, you'll do good I think. Those courses are always 50% mental, 50% physical.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

The army's not a bad go if you work hard and get lucky.

Key word. There retention rate in my battery for people that have worked their asses off for and loved our job, is incredibly low right now. Now we all hate it and encourage people to release because our bosses treated the entire battery like we were loving scumbag pieces of poo poo that didn't deserve to do anything but work. poo poo, we're POLISHING DOORS for entire workdays right now. I understand the premise of keeping us busy, I get it, we're getting paid to be there. However, we're not allowed to do something productive when we're not doing anything, something like going to the gym. In short, working hard is not always beneficial.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MA-Horus posted:

You've got a good attitude about it. If you go into Ranger with that kinda attitude, you'll do good I think. Those courses are always 50% mental, 50% physical.

Assuming you're in normal combat arms/infantry shape, I'd say they're more like (especially ranger) 90% mental, 10% physical. Good for you Samu. Morriston hit the nail on the head with the current state of our military, and it's pretty rare to see the new guys with that good an attitude. You're on a good track to work up to CSOR/JTF-2 if you're interested.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

acumen posted:

Assuming you're in normal combat arms/infantry shape, I'd say they're more like (especially ranger) 90% mental, 10% physical. Good for you Samu. Morriston hit the nail on the head with the current state of our military, and it's pretty rare to see the new guys with that good an attitude. You're on a good track to work up to CSOR/JTF-2 if you're interested.

But then he won't be able to post anymore. :(

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Morristron posted:

To elaborate on what Spirit Otter said, it's a terrible idea not just because the army sucks, but also because with Afghanistan winding down/done we just aren't getting the kind of money we were before. On top of that, we are now being reminded of all kinds of lovely tasks we've been able to do sparingly or not at all with Afghanistan as an excuse.

So the budget to do cool poo poo is smaller, which means more of the poo poo we do is gay. In addition, they're cutting allowances and that sort of thing all over. Besides that, our most important tasks have become poo poo like sov ops. (Which, if you're not familiar, is to go to the arctic circle and do some stupid army poo poo just to remind Greenland that we own it.)

Will there still be cool poo poo? Yes. I mean, just look a couple posts up at Samu. (Also, Samu, congrats as gently caress, and I'm glad as poo poo that you're enthused. Please stay of high morale as long as you possibly can.) The ratio of terrible gay army poo poo to cool poo poo is leaning further and further towards terrible gay army poo poo. And it leaned that way pretty hard in the first place.

Thats what I was afraid of, guess I was just thinking about the army through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. I really did miss it sometimes in gradschool, something's wrong with me :downs: I miss shooting guns and getting paid for it

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Thats what I was afraid of, guess I was just thinking about the army through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. I really did miss it sometimes in gradschool, something's wrong with me :downs: I miss shooting guns and getting paid for it

No I totally hear you on that, there are days where I really miss it too. Being out on ex with the guns, being physical, settling into a position and cracking open IMPs and sitting around with the troops. I miss that.

But then the reminders of the endless bullshit kick in.

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
Got nominated for roto last night. Starting my chief's course end of November. Kind of pumped. It'll be the Tour That Should Have Been if they keep my friends and I all together.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This is an unusual question, but is there a CF equivalent to the Airmen of Note? That is a smoking hot band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCjhaBsBvzk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Flanker
Sep 10, 2002

OPERATORS GONNA OPERATE
New boats for the Navy! Just announced massive ship building contracts for Halifax and BC!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/10/19/pol-shipbuilding-announcement.html

As for being in the army right now: I personally think that it's going to be cool for SF and other specific trades, but the rest of us will be lucky to go on lovely peacekeeping tours like in 90s if at all.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

MA-Horus posted:

But then he won't be able to post anymore. :(

Sure he can, he just wouldn't be able to say what he was doing

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Elgar posted:

Sure he can, he just wouldn't be able to say what he was doing

Or where he was

Or who he was with

Or what colour socks he was wearing

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

tuyop posted:

Pathfinder was loving insane though. 5% average pass rate or something?

No it was more than that. It was like 10-20% I think on the low end. Still, COs didn't like sending several guys there with the potential they would not get anyone qualified. So they revamped the course in that it teaches all the same skills but they took out retarded poo poo.

MA-Horus posted:

Or where he was

Or who he was with

Or what colour socks he was wearing

Jokes on them anyway because SA is blocked from DND internet

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Bad news today. Apparently the battalion passed down that they want to send people who are PLQ qualified on the Ranger course, but my LT also told me that so far I'm the only person nominated from the regiment. So as long as one of the maybe 5 master jacks who could even pass the PT doesn't decide he wants the course I could be alright. But my Lt says it doesn't look good. "One in a billion" I think he put it haha. I'll keep DAGing and training hard but I'm less optimistic with my chances. If 1 CER let's me do the battalion selection and I do well, odds are they'll just give 1 CER's spot on the course to the Strats or Patricias. Disappointing but it seemed too good to be true anyways.

This has really motivated me to get my PT up though and start training heavy for Dive prelims next year and jump course in January. Those are my goals for next year along with finishing top 10 in next year's mountain man competition.

JTF2/CSOR don't really appeal to me (at least right now, too young anyways). My dream job would be SARtech or CP but that's a pipe dream haha

Samu fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 21, 2011

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

How difficult is getting into the SAR Tech trade? I was told it's "hard". How hard is hard, exactly?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

My friend was looking into o.t.ing to SAR tech and the bpso said it was the most physically demanding trade to get into, outside of the JTF poo poo. Also there are only like 6 positions a year or something stupidly low.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Yeah it's supposed to be as hard to get into as JTF2. You have to be very smart, have nerves of steel and the resolve it takes to pass those kinds of courses. Their course is very physically demanding and you have to perform very complex tasks when you are absolutely destroyed physically. If, and it's a pretty big if, I pass prelims for combat diver I'll sign a second contract and try to get selected for Sar tech, but it's next to impossible to actually get it.

From CSOR and former JTF2 guys I talked to, passing spec ops courses isn't all about being in perfect shape. It's not like if you can bench 3 plates and run a 3 hour marathon you're a shoe in for CSOR, it's all mental. If you can do 100 push ups they'll make you do 200 kind of thing. They break you physically to see when you'll quit. I was talking to my LT and he said physical fitness on the dive course matters for around the first day and a half. After that everyone is just so exhausted it doesn't matter anymore.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
It's also academically demanding. You are essentially training to be something in between a paramedic and trauma nurse, in addition to the parachuting/mountaineering/diving/outdoor survival and whatever else. So yeah, it's a "halo" trade and extremely, extremely competitive. It would behoove you (sorry about that) to be among the best at whatever you are doing now, and go from there.

The guy who took my job when I left for the Air Force did the SAR Tech prelim, and it sounds pretty brutal.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Lt. Jebus, is this the most catastrophically retarded thing you've ever heard of?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/10/27/submarines-british-nuclear.html

quote:

The federal government is considering mothballing some or all of its four British-made submarines, CBC News has learned.

But the diesel-electric submarines, which are all out of service, could possibly be replaced with a nuclear fleet.

Defence Minister Peter MacKay recently hinted that Canada may be in the market for nuclear submarines.

We don't even have a reactor school in Canada. What the gently caress would we buy, 688 boats?

Edit: Initial purchase price, 750 million. An additional 1 billion in refits. 1.2 billion in future repairs and upgrades. The Brits made off like bandits

MA-Horus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 28, 2011

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Do they not make diesel subs anymore? And are the existing four that expensive/unsafe? This is coming across as another pointless purchase of military hardware.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Lassitude posted:

Do they not make diesel subs anymore? And are the existing four that expensive/unsafe? This is coming across as another pointless purchase of military hardware.

Diesel boats are exceedingly common, but boats of the size we need are kinda rare - the T212/214 that are being now used by a number of countries are great boats, but 2/3-ish to half the size of the Upholders. The Upholders were designed for the GIUK Gap so probably are the last of the big Western diesel subs, because no other countries have the length of coastline we do. Well, outside of the Australian Collins, which could be considered a bigger boondoggle than ours.

The Upholders could have been a decent deal but the way every loving thing we buy has to be mindlessly "Canadianized" ruined them.

If the current subs are scrapped then that is the end of the submarine service in Canada, forever. It's barely hanging on by a thread as it is. There is no way, no how we would be able to swallow billions and billions of dollars for a nuclear infrastructure. The leap from barely being able to handle diesel boats to properly handling nucs is incomprehensibly large, unless The Harper Government™ is working on some sort of lopsided deal with the Americans for Alternate Service Delivery®.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

I haven't heard anything specific but I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the class tied up permanently. As for nuke boats I doubt it... We looked at getting a bunch in the late 80s (french Rubis class) but the fall of the soviet union disrupted that idea. While operating a nuke boat at sea would actually be a lot easier than our current boat, the shore support required would be massive and the Canadian public is terrified of anything with the world Nuclear in it so it would be a PR nightmare. Furthermore there is already a ton of cash tied up in service support for the current class.

Although I will say that blaming canadianization for the problems with the class isn't too accurate.

Any future for the sub program will either be with the T212/214 (although as Compressioncut pointed out they are quite a bit smaller than our current boats) or much more likely we will purchase into the Australian New Boat programme and hope that they learned their lesson with the Collins. They are planning on building some truly massive (for Diesels) long range boats.

This assumes the sub program has a future, which depends a lot on the performance of the Victoria, Windsor and the Chicoutimi over the next couple of years.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

What about Corner Brook? Or are you expecting her to be the one mothballed?

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Well, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the corner brook never goes to sea again.

I should clarify that the plan is still for her to still go into refit next spring, once the Chicoutimi is done...

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/10/28/north-soldier-igloolik-death.html

quote:

A soldier involved in an effort to rescue two boaters in stormy seas outside the Nunavut hamlet of Igloolik on Thursday has died.

Sgt. Janick Gilbert was a search and rescue technician with 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron in Trenton, Ont.

Three people — the soldier and two search and rescue technicians — jumped into the Hecla Strait from a Hercules aircraft with a life-raft around 5 p.m. ET Thursday.
Igloolik

The boaters were transferred to the life-raft, and waited for about three hours until a Cormorant helicopter from Gander, N.L., arrived to pick everyone up.

"He lost his life in the service of the country while unselfishly answering the call for help," stated Lt.-Gen. André Deschamps, commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force in a press release.

Terrible news for such a tight-knit group. He'll be sorely missed.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Cornerbrook is going in to an EDWP, correct?

As the only semi-operational submarine for the past while it was literally ridden hard and put away wet. My submariner friends tell me she is in really rough shape (and was so even before running in to the bottom).

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

Yup, and as the current CSEO of the Corner Brook (and the Chicoutimi) I can attest that she is in very rough shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
I was dealing with a customer at work the other day and I saw the bottom of one of his tattoo's. It took me a min to figure out what it was. I was the cornflake ( tri forces badge), I was about to ask him about it but he left before I could. Out of anything you could get tattooed why the corn flake. Ive seen guys get some stupid tattoos while in but no one would have ever been retarded enough to get the cornflake.