Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
How tall is the screen on the 23" here?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24236117-L0G

It gives dimensions for height but those include the stand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Basket of Kittens posted:

How tall is the screen on the 23" here?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24236117-L0G

It gives dimensions for height but those include the stand

If my rough calculations are reasonable around 7.5-8"

sqrt(23^2 - 21.66^2) = 7.74"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

unpronounceable posted:

Yup, and I'd take the most of that .66 off for the bezel so you'll have about 10" of screen.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Still waiting on my VG236HE. It got back ordered until the 18th. :eng99:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

unpronounceable posted:

Stew Man Chew posted:

Yup, and I'd take the most of that .66 off for the bezel so you'll have about 10" of screen.

One of us is completely wrong, because you can't have 10" of screen space if the screen + bezel is 8".

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

unpronounceable posted:

One of us is completely wrong, because you can't have 10" of screen space if the screen + bezel is 8".

23" is for the screen w/o the bezel, so using 21.66" as the width, including the bezel, will not get you the correct aspect ratio (and thus underestimate the height).

I think taking out only .66" for bezel is underestimating, as well. Coming at it from a different direction, .2652mm Pixel Pitch * 1080 pixels = 286.4mm = 11.28".

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife
I just got a U3011 today. My laptop supports 2560x1600 resolution, however it doesn't have DVI, only HDMI. It seems that the U3011 only supports 1920x1200 when connected with HDMI. What kind of HDMI/DVI cable or converter to I need to get so I can get 2560x1600 resolution working? The HDMI to DVI cables that I've been seeing online only say they support resolutions up to 1080p... I didn't think this was going to be so tricky to get working.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Diovanti posted:

I just got a U3011 today. My laptop supports 2560x1600 resolution, however it doesn't have DVI, only HDMI. It seems that the U3011 only supports 1920x1200 when connected with HDMI. What kind of HDMI/DVI cable or converter to I need to get so I can get 2560x1600 resolution working? The HDMI to DVI cables that I've been seeing online only say they support resolutions up to 1080p... I didn't think this was going to be so tricky to get working.

The issue is that you need dual-link DVI to get 2560x1600 running on the U3011. I don't know if HDMI -> Dual-link DVI is possible, or problem free.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Diovanti posted:

More than likely your laptop's video card supports 2560x1600, but the laptop itself doesn't because it lacks the right outputs. I was in the same situation, which is why I ended up with a U2412M.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I bought an ASUS VW246H a couple weeks ago off Newegg. The first one arrived with a small cluster of dead pixels near the upper middle edge. Newegg sent me a new one no questions asked, which I just set up today. Of course, there's a couple of dead pixels on this one too. Not very noticeable and needless to say not as bad as the last one, but still annoying. This is the first time I've bought a monitor in almost 4 years, should I just deal with it? I don't know if I'm having awful luck or this is just part and parcel with buying new monitors these days.

e:
vvv neglected to add that the return isn't entirely free. It cost $30 in shipping to send it back to California. The monitor cost me $200. I didn't want to go over 200 but I'm getting to the point where I think I may just return the loving thing and splurge on one of the higher end Dells.

folgore fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 15, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

sethsez posted:

More than likely your laptop's video card supports 2560x1600, but the laptop itself doesn't because it lacks the right outputs. I was in the same situation, which is why I ended up with a U2412M.
This is the case. Almost no laptop manufacturer bothers to wire up the HDMI out to support dual-link output (though other than connecting a few pins, there's no reason that they couldn't), so you're stuck with 1920x1200. Sorry man.

folgore posted:

This is the first time I've bought a monitor in almost 4 years, should I just deal with it? I don't know if I'm having awful luck or this is just part and parcel with buying new monitors these days.
Kinda depends on how much you're paying. If you're dropping the $300+ for a Dell like others in this thread, then no, it's not acceptable and you should complain until it's perfect. If you're only spending $150 on a junky TN...well there's a reason it's cheap, you know? Lots of noticeable damaged pixels twice in a row is fairly uncommon, even at the low end, but it's not unheard of. I'd say that if you're still being offered free replacements, why not take it?

DrDork fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 15, 2011

Diovanti
Aug 19, 2003
no afterlife

sethsez posted:

Hmm. This is a long shot but my laptop also has VGA. VGA max res for the monitor is supposed to be 2048x1280. I wonder if its possible to override the laptop drivers and try OUTPUTTING 2560x1600 VIA VGA? Probably its pushing the VGA spec just way too far, but sometimes weird resolutions work.

My laptop has both Intel HD Graphics & a GeFORCE 540M (Sager NP5160, 2nd Gen Core i7) running windows 7x64. The Intel Graphics control panel will not allow a custom resolution higher than 2048x1280, it says "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity"

Probably need hacked drivers... which probably don't exist.

Also I'm going to try buying this: http://www.amazon.com/DVI-D-Dual-Link-Female-Adapter/dp/B002JCQVW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318668751&sr=8-1 I've found posts saying that someone has gotten 2560 from this Clevo chassis.

Diovanti fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Oct 15, 2011

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
doesn't that plug into a DVI port and create and HDMI port? I don't think you can go the other way.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

evensevenone posted:

doesn't that plug into a DVI port and create and HDMI port? I don't think you can go the other way.
DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible, so all adapters like those do is line up the correct pins. As such they are bi-directional.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Diovanti posted:

Hmm. This is a long shot but my laptop also has VGA. VGA max res for the monitor is supposed to be 2048x1280. I wonder if its possible to override the laptop drivers and try OUTPUTTING 2560x1600 VIA VGA? Probably its pushing the VGA spec just way too far, but sometimes weird resolutions work.

My laptop has both Intel HD Graphics & a GeFORCE 540M (Sager NP5160, 2nd Gen Core i7) running windows 7x64. The Intel Graphics control panel will not allow a custom resolution higher than 2048x1280, it says "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity"

Probably need hacked drivers... which probably don't exist.

Also I'm going to try buying this: http://www.amazon.com/DVI-D-Dual-Link-Female-Adapter/dp/B002JCQVW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318668751&sr=8-1 I've found posts saying that someone has gotten 2560 from this Clevo chassis.

If your laptop does support dual link DVI then that adapter should work. You can tell dual DVI from normal DVI because it had a continuous amount of pins across the whole rectangle, whereas regular DVI has a square with no pins in the middle.

If your current adapter does not look like the ones on the bottom of this image, thats why you cant get your resolution:
http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvicompat/sldldvi.jpg

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Diovanti posted:

Not likely to help much. The wires are still going to be sending the same signals no matter what shape you rearrange the pins at the end into.

Edit: Also, the HDMI connection doesn't even have the extra wires that are needed for dual-link DVI, so that adapter isn't doing anything different than a normal HDMI->DVI adapter.

Zhentar fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 16, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

HalloKitty posted:

True. That'd be really nice, but bear in mind.. most people see nothing wrong with cheap 6-bit TN panels (nothing necessarily wrong with this, they serve a useful purpose!), so I'm not sure self-calibrating monitors will reach the mainstream.

Dollars to donuts we'll have $50-$100 'best buy' colorimeters that plug into high end TVs with an idiot proof automated calibration process within the next 5 years.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande

Zhentar posted:

23" is for the screen w/o the bezel, so using 21.66" as the width, including the bezel, will not get you the correct aspect ratio (and thus underestimate the height).

I think taking out only .66" for bezel is underestimating, as well. Coming at it from a different direction, .2652mm Pixel Pitch * 1080 pixels = 286.4mm = 11.28".

Alright, I think the display height of my screen on the CRT I use (viewable) is ideal which I have a photo of below, so I was worried the 23" widescreen might be noticeably thinner

Either way, I'm looking at that one. The great newegg deal (209$ down to 159$) ends on the 19th for the Asus VH238H

Good buy? This is what it will be replacing:http://i.imgur.com/Hfc7l.jpg

An old fashioned 19" CRT from 2001, the good ol' NEC FE950+. I've always been concerned with how an LCD would theoretically fit into my desk (which you can see is designed for a CRT to fit into the tunnel, also I have that centre speaker on top conveniently.) I suppose putting the centre speaker behind the LCD monitor won't distort the sound too bad if I use it

There's also the ASUS VW266H: http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VW266H/

2" more inches of space, but no sweet 25% off deal. Also doesn't appear to be as advanced as the 23" one, lacking LED backlighting and a lower contrast ratio

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Is there such thing as a 120hz IPS monitor, for 3d gaming while still producing vibrant colors?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the Samsung SM2233RZ 120HZ? Its apparently the current responsiveness champion at tftcentral.

Also, what other website is good for in-depth monitor reviews?

Trickyrive fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 17, 2011

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Trickyrive posted:

Is there such thing as a 120hz IPS monitor, for 3d gaming while still producing vibrant colors?

Also, does anybody have any experience with the Samsung SM2233RZ 120HZ? Its apparently the current responsiveness champion at tftcentral.
In theory? Yes. I read about one being made in Japan. One you can buy here for a sane price? No.

Can't say I have personal experience with that one, but all the 120Hz monitors are fast enough to be pleasing even to the hard-core CRT fanatic.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

DrDork posted:

Can't say I have personal experience with that one, but all the 120Hz monitors are fast enough to be pleasing even to the hard-core CRT fanatic.

I'd like it to look nice though, I'm worried about going to a TFT since being on an IPS for so long

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Trickyrive posted:

I'd like it to look nice though, I'm worried about going to a TFT since being on an IPS for so long
Do you really need 120Hz? 3D gaming, by and large, is pretty much a gimmick at this point. I can see the argument for 120Hz 2D gaming for response time and the like, but the story for actual 3D gaming isn't great right now. If you really want is, though, you might as well make sure you get a monitor that supports Nvidia's new 3D stuff, such as LightBoost, to get the best experience.

That said, the 120Hz monitors on the market today are all upper-end products, so they generally look pretty good for a TN. You'll notice it if you sit it right next to an IPS, but it's not like it'll be unwatchable or anything.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Trickyrive posted:

Is there a problem with 120hz/IPS monitors not producing vibrant colors?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a problem with 120hz/IPS monitors not producing vibrant colors?
Mostly their lack of existence. The only 120Hz IPS I know of was more or less an experimental model Mitsubishi released only in very limited amounts and only sold in Japan (for about $1300). In the US there are no 120Hz IPS monitors whatsoever.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

DrDork posted:

I can see the argument for 120Hz 2D gaming for response time and the like, but the story for actual 3D gaming isn't great right now.

120hz carries a 2D gaming benefit aside from the response time. Video cards still aren't good enough to add a realistic motion blur effect, and showing twice as many frames can go a long way to make up for this and make games appear more realistic.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I've just moved out and I've got a nice new corner desk for my PC to sit on. One (big) problem however; Because I had such a tiny desk in the old house I ditched my huge monitor base and wall-mounted my monitor so I could use the desk space for writing. Being a retard, i chucked the base away and now I just have a useless monitor.

Is there a cheap monitor mount/base I could buy or should I just give in to the temptation that was there anyway and just buy myself a nice new display?

This is the sort of thing I lost:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Thirteenth Step posted:

I've just moved out and I've got a nice new corner desk for my PC to sit on. One (big) problem however; Because I had such a tiny desk in the old house I ditched my huge monitor base and wall-mounted my monitor so I could use the desk space for writing. Being a retard, i chucked the base away and now I just have a useless monitor.

Is there a cheap monitor mount/base I could buy or should I just give in to the temptation that was there anyway and just buy myself a nice new display?

This is the sort of thing I lost:

You're probably in luck. Since you wall-mounted it, it probably has a standard VESA mount, 100x100mm square with 4 holes, one in each corner.

I'm pretty sure you can find a mount that uses that, but also stands on a desk.

Had a quick search on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-monit...=item336bdfac49

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

HalloKitty posted:

You're probably in luck. Since you wall-mounted it, it probably has a standard VESA mount, 100x100mm square with 4 holes, one in each corner.

I'm pretty sure you can find a mount that uses that, but also stands on a desk.

Had a quick search on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-monit...=item336bdfac49
If you can't find something similar on eBay in your area, the stands that Dell use on the U2711 are actually screwed into the VESA mount due to the weight of the monitor. I'm pretty sure it uses the standard 100x100 VESA mount screws as well. It might be possible to get one from Dell and simply remove the little plastic tabs that help hold it in place.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I'm planning on upgrading monitors. Right now I've got a dual display with mismatched monitors (ASUS VW222 as main, Dell 1905FP off to the side). I'm looking to upgrade to 2 23" or 24". I'm looking at the Dell Ultrasharp 2410 and U2412M. I don't really want to drop a grand on just monitors, but the port options on the 2410 are attractive. Would 1 of each work? Is there a better option?

If it matters, I have a GTX 460 but plan on upgrading soon. I'll primarily be gaming on them.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you like the port selection, no, there really isn't a better choice. On the other hand, are the extra port formats really worth an extra 200+ bucks for 2410s over 2412s? Is it something that you could just get by on by using an hdmi->displayport or DVI converter and using only 2412s?

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core
This is probably a really stupid question, but I've been searching for awhile and can't seem to find anything, and I searched the OP and didn't really find my answer...

So at my new workplace they give programmers two monitors and a laptop, my monitors came in today and I was curious if it was possible to set up all three displays. The Laptop dock has a VGA and a DVI port so I plugged both monitors in and I can use any two out of three of them but I can't seem to get it to choose all three. The laptop is running Windows XP. I've heard I may need to download software to get >2 monitor support? I can't seem to find what exactly it is I need and any clarifications would be appreciated.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I don't know exactly because I don't know the type of laptop/graphics chip, but I would be pretty certain that it only has support for 2 monitors at any one time. It's pretty common.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The only way you're getting three+ monitors is if the laptop has an ATI card that supports eyefinity (Highly unlikely in a work bought programmer's laptop) or if it uses Optimus (Slightly more likely, but still requires at a minimum Vista.).

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know exactly because I don't know the type of laptop/graphics chip, but I would be pretty certain that it only has support for 2 monitors at any one time. It's pretty common.

I figured it was something like this, and yeah Its an Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M and looking at Nvidia's website it only supports two monitors. Thats a little disappointing, I didn't realize getting a >2 monitor setup was so specific. I've never worked with >2 monitors before.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

The problem is, they'd have to include additional output hardware on the graphics chip, and for the vast majority of laptop users, 2 is all they'll ever use, so why spend more?

To be honest, until the last few years, more than 2 outputs per card was unusual on the desktop, too. You used to have to add more cards or buy something like an arcane Matrox card with a ton of outputs.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
Welp, just replaced the CRT with the new 23" ASUS

Gotta say, these LCD screens are bright as hell

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Gwaihir posted:

If you like the port selection, no, there really isn't a better choice. On the other hand, are the extra port formats really worth an extra 200+ bucks for 2410s over 2412s? Is it something that you could just get by on by using an hdmi->displayport or DVI converter and using only 2412s?
Well it's not just that - slightly better response time, colors, contrast, etc. Just wondering if people had opinions on it, or comparable monitors.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Basket of Kittens posted:

Welp, just replaced the CRT with the new 23" ASUS

Gotta say, these LCD screens are bright as hell

All Dell's come superbright from the factory, I always have to turn them down via the on screen display buttons.

Bet the Asuses are too.

JediJesseS
Apr 29, 2008

Clanpot Shake posted:

Well it's not just that - slightly better response time, colors, contrast, etc. Just wondering if people had opinions on it, or comparable monitors.

In reviews the U2412M beats the U2410 in a number of these areas, most notably responsiveness, input delay, and contrast ratio.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2412m.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm looking at the Dell Ultrasharp 2410 and U2412M. I don't really want to drop a grand on just monitors, but the port options on the 2410 are attractive. Would 1 of each work?

The 2410 and 2412 have entirely different backlights (CCFL vs. LED), which will have substantially different color characteristics. I would not recommend going with one of each.