Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

VisAbsoluta posted:

EDIT: Any of the Master of Orions are worth it if I never played them back then?

Master of Orion 2 is still the best space 4x. Not that there's been much competition in that particular genre, but still, it's pretty fun. I don't think it's even that hard to get into, seeing as how I figured it out when I was like 8 or so. There's no in game tutorial or encyclopedia, but right clicking on most things will tell you what it does.

Master of Orion 1 is still pretty good, but a lot more basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GrandpaPants posted:

Master of Orion 1 has the benefit that you don't have to handle constructing every building on every planet, though. You just set sliders between various priorities (ships, defense, industry, population, growth) and call it a day. Similarly, you don't have to build each spy individually, just set income devoted to spy defense.

Master of Orion 2 is probably overall a better game, but the micromanagement is a fair amount worse than Master of Orion 1.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Dominic White posted:

The I-War games (1 is a little more sim-ish, but much more aged, I-War 2 is vastly more accessible and playable 100% with a 360 controller)

Could you elaborate on this? I think what I'm looking for in a space game is basically in the vein of Elite, but preferably without the master's degree in nuclear physics you apparently need to be able to even pilot your ship in X3. Would either I-War fit that particularly better than the other?

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Could you elaborate on this? I think what I'm looking for in a space game is basically in the vein of Elite, but preferably without the master's degree in nuclear physics you apparently need to be able to even pilot your ship in X3. Would either I-War fit that particularly better than the other?

I'm curious now too... I always thought it was more along the lines of X3, but if it's closer to Freelancer and the 360 controller works well with it, I think I'd grab it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Can someone help me decide between RCT1 and 2 please? I just want to build ridiculous rollercoasters with the option of creating horrifying deathtraps when I get bored...

Also, is Outcast still worth picking up these days?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kashwashwa posted:

I'm curious now too... I always thought it was more along the lines of X3, but if it's closer to Freelancer and the 360 controller works well with it, I think I'd grab it.

I-War 2 is relatively linear and mission-based, but it's set in an open world where you can trade with various factions and pirate goods from convoys to either sell off or recycle into nanoforge material to manufacture equipment.

There are several mods that make it into a Freelancer Lite kinda deal, but it's still very much combat focused. The flight engine is what makes it a lot more sim-like. Full newtonian physics plus you're flying a corvette class ship, rather than a fighter.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010

Convex posted:

Outcast is totally worth it. It feels like you are in an actual living world, and they make you really care about what is going on. Game play is still pretty solid too. The whole voxel engine can be really wonky though. It alternates between looking really dated and awful with fantastic, and sometimes breathtakingly beautiful.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Convex posted:

Can someone help me decide between RCT1 and 2 please? I just want to build ridiculous rollercoasters with the option of creating horrifying deathtraps when I get bored...

Both will allow you to do this. 2 has a few more options of rollercoasters and rides. VisAbsoluta above argued that 1 has better scenarios (he may be right, I dont remember then so well). Both are the same game.

3, however, has the worst scenarios, but will allow you to ride your deathtraps in first person, which is awesome.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Does anyone use the GOGDownloader program? I keep trying to login to it but it won't take my login information (which is the correct information)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Holy poo poo, Blood is hard. Those cultists can kill you if you don't see them coming and the rats are annoying as gently caress too.

Flaregun's awesome though. "OH GOD IT BURNS IT BUUURNS"

Don Sultan
Aug 14, 2009

I am Sea Lion, hear me rwblbwoblbwoblbwoarr!

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone use the GOGDownloader program? I keep trying to login to it but it won't take my login information (which is the correct information)

I had this problem with an installed version I had, but when I redownloaded it, it was just a zipped .exe, which works fine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

GrandpaPants posted:

Master of Orion 2 is still the best space 4x. Not that there's been much competition in that particular genre, but still, it's pretty fun. I don't think it's even that hard to get into, seeing as how I figured it out when I was like 8 or so. There's no in game tutorial or encyclopedia, but right clicking on most things will tell you what it does.

I like that MoO3 is still twice as much as MoO1+2 together. Considering it's loving terrible, I mean.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Chairman Pow! posted:

Outcast is totally worth it. It feels like you are in an actual living world, and they make you really care about what is going on. Game play is still pretty solid too. The whole voxel engine can be really wonky though. It alternates between looking really dated and awful with fantastic, and sometimes breathtakingly beautiful.

I still find myself occasionally muttering the miner's song. And the last time I played Outcast was when I still had a Win98, so that's... about 9 years ago, give or take. And I still remember pretty much all the quests and all the equipment and most of the characters even now.
That is how memorable that gem of a game is.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fantastic sale! Dampened only by the fact that I already own all the good games on it!

Well, maybe. How is Alone in the Dark, with no nostalgia goggles in place?

So many must-haves. Many of these are great examples of their genre. Here are my picks, with asterisks indicating games that require no nostalgia goggles or tweaking to fully enjoy:

Blood*
Blood 2 (pick this if you enjoy terrible sequels, otherwise skip it)
Independence War
Independence War 2*
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1
Master of Orion 2*
Outcast (wonky resolution requirements)
Star Control 2* (get the free Ur-Quan Masters port)
Total Annihilation*
The Witcher*

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

doctorfrog posted:

How is Alone in the Dark, with no nostalgia goggles in place?

I played it for the first time (at least, beyond the first two rooms) when it came out on GOG, and I had a ton of fun with it once I got used to the godawful interface and controls, since I found the puzzles pretty drat satisfying and the writing incredibly entertaining in a cheesy sort of way. That said... well, the awfulness of the interface and controls can't be overstated. The original Resident Evil was a huge refinement on it, and even that feels downright archaic these days.

Basically, it comes down to how much you're willing to put up with to play an amazingly ambitious game that was half a decade before its time. And also how much you like Lovecraft.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
Does GoG do holiday sales? Since anything I buy is going straight to my backlog either way I have no problem holding out on these if I can save a couple bucks by picking them up when December rolls around.

If not I'll just buy 'em right now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

frogg posted:

Does GoG do holiday sales? Since anything I buy is going straight to my backlog either way I have no problem holding out on these if I can save a couple bucks by picking them up when December rolls around.

If not I'll just buy 'em right now.

GOG does great holiday sales. If you like to wait for the absolute lowest price, the X-Mas-New Years sales are the best. Then you can be smug as hell about the low price you paid for your shelfgames. Buying GOG games is a game itself.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Fantastic sale! Dampened only by the fact that I already own all the good games on it!

Pretty much the same deal here.

...except The Witcher, and if I'm getting that, gently caress, it's only $5 more for Every Total Annihilation Game Ever.

Well played, GOG. Take my money.

quote:

So many must-haves. Many of these are great examples of their genre. Here are my picks, with asterisks indicating games that require no nostalgia goggles or tweaking to fully enjoy:

Solid advice, with two notes.

For Blood, you want the One Unit Whole Blood launcher/patch/modpack. This requires a copy of Blood to attach to, so buy it on GOG and then install this.

For Star Control 2, you want The Ur-Quan Masters, a free, multiplatform remake based on the 3DO release and made with the blessing of the original developers. This does not require a copy of Star Control 2; it is a completely free, standalone game and includes all of the original content.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 15, 2011

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So regarding Darklands, in the Matt Chat video he says to hunt down bandits in the city after dark until you're built up enough to survive outside. How do you get the bandits to show up?

Also has anyone had any luck getting the music to play properly, assuming there are others having the same issue?

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
god, Darklands. Time to try one more time to beat this game all the way without ever opening
the editor!

iastudent posted:

So regarding Darklands, in the Matt Chat video he says to hunt down bandits in the city after dark until you're built up enough to survive outside. How do you get the bandits to show up?

Also has anyone had any luck getting the music to play properly, assuming there are others having the same issue?

head to a side street, then to the non-named craft areas. Will get an encounter almost every time.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ToxicFrog posted:

For Blood, you want the One Unit Whole Blood launcher/patch/modpack. This requires a copy of Blood to attach to, so buy it on GOG and then install this.
The version of Blood they're selling comes with that. It's on the promo page, it's on the landing page for the game, and it's in the URL: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/one_unit_whole_blood

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

For my mac gaming bros: Darklands triggers a Boxer install bug that'll be fixed in the next release (or you can move the file manually but gently caress that).

e: :downs:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 15, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anthonypants posted:

The version of Blood they're selling comes with that. It's on the promo page, it's on the landing page for the game, and it's in the URL: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/one_unit_whole_blood

No, it doesn't? GOG is selling One Unit Whole Blood - Blood + Cryptic Passage + Plasma Pak. What I linked to is the One Unit Whole Blood Launcher, which automates a lot of configuration/launching tasks, polishes things up a bit more, and comes with a shitload of quality fan-made content.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ToxicFrog posted:

So, what's the deal here? Download the full version, then all three patches, the install all four packages, or is there additional hoodoo that comes with this?

Fake edit: never mind, here's the readme: http://www.nanoaugur.net/blood/install.txt

additional note: I prefer the MIDI tracks to the "superior" CD tracks and went out of my way to avoid hearing them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did someone say Darklands?

11 loving floppies.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Didn't know that was from Microprose. Maybe that excellent Magic the Gathering game that Microprose may will get added to GoG.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rirse posted:

Didn't know that was from Microprose. Maybe that excellent Magic the Gathering game that Microprose may will get added to GoG.

Unfortunately, this will never happen.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Is IW1 worth getting? I have IW2 and played a tiny bit of it.

Blood 2 just a sucky sequel?

Should I get Total Annihilation despite sucking horribly at RTS games?

I'll get at least outcast.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

GoldenNugget posted:

I'll get at least outcast.

Yes, pretty much, no comment, you do that.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wow, Blood runs like poo poo at higher resolutions. You'd expect the game to run smoothly since it's old but...it doesn't. I have to switch it to a lower res to run it at the proper speed.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It hasn't been mentioned with the sale yet, but it bears repeating from a few pages back. Desperados (an admittedly good game) has some pretty serious crashing issues on modern hardware and OS's, and there's no guarantee you'll be able to avoid or limit them enough to make the game playable. Buy at your own risk, or consider digging up a copy of Win98.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Very nice promo indeed. To me personally, Alone in the Dark (Trilogy), the Blood series, Master of Orion 1+2, the Total Annihilation Commander Pack, and the Witcher are the standouts of the list.

I've never played TA: Kingdoms or Master of Magic, but I can definitely say DO NOT buy Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare. It's a horrible Resident Evil ripoff where you fight shadows with bullets of light. Just don't.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Master of Magic is what Age of Wonders wishes it was.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Never used GOG before but I got a bunch of games off the sale. Some of them have additional stuff listed such as Alone in the Dark has 2&3 listed as additional content. Are those a separate purchase or included in the price with AITD 1? If they are included, are they needed to be downloaded separately or is it all one big package?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Zeether posted:

Wow, Blood runs like poo poo at higher resolutions. You'd expect the game to run smoothly since it's old but...it doesn't. I have to switch it to a lower res to run it at the proper speed.

It runs pretty badly on my laptop. Seems to be when it's loading new sounds, the game will freeze for a split second whenever a new sound is played for the first time.

Drives me crazy, does anyone know if there is a way to force the game to pre-cache all sounds?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

GoldenNugget posted:

Yes, the game owns, I have the original CDs and I played it with a joystick. No idea how it plays now as I've not played it since I originally got it all those years ago. There's some pretty neat things in Independence War, too bad nobody will ever make another IW game, since it's a space game. I can't wait until a popular company makes a fun space game so we get 500 clones of it.

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Never used GOG before but I got a bunch of games off the sale. Some of them have additional stuff listed such as Alone in the Dark has 2&3 listed as additional content. Are those a separate purchase or included in the price with AITD 1? If they are included, are they needed to be downloaded separately or is it all one big package?
When I bought Star Control 1+2 they came in one installer and it put two shortcuts on my desktop. While nice, stop cluttering up my desktop GOG. :argh:

Yaos fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 15, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

Yep.

quote:

Depends on whether you enjoy them even if you suck, and why.

The good:
- fantastic core gameplay
- looks way better than its age (and has better widescreen support than a lot of modern games :wtc:)
- AI is kind of stupid, so you can enjoy the campaign even if you're terrible
- everything is moddable, so you can swap out the AI for something really evil once you get good at it
- ...and add new maps, units, gameplay modes, and even races for skirmish and multiplayer

The bad:
- storyline is completely forgettable
- very little to differentiate the two factions
- the first few levels of the expansion are aggravating even with the default stupid AI
- if your only interest is in multiplayer, Spring is TA-inspired and free

Zeether posted:

Unlike Doom, Duke3d, and the like, the source code for Blood was never released. It's not running in an upgraded engine that runs natively and can take advantage of hardware acceleration; it's running in dosbox (which adds a lot of overhead) and doing all of that rendering in software.

There's currently work ongoing on a replacement engine for it, but since it has to be done by reverse engineering rather than looking at the source code, it's slow going.

scamtank posted:

Master of Magic is what Age of Wonders wishes it was.

On the other hand, I was never able to get in to Master of Magic, but have logged a shitload of time in Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic in both the campaign and randomly generated skirmish maps.

Lloyd Van Buren posted:

Never used GOG before but I got a bunch of games off the sale. Some of them have additional stuff listed such as Alone in the Dark has 2&3 listed as additional content. Are those a separate purchase or included in the price with AITD 1?

:confused: If they were a separate purchase, they'd show up as a separate game you can buy. You get them automatically when you buy AitD 1.

I have no idea why they didn't just package it as "Alone in the Dark Trilogy" or something.

quote:

If they are included, are they needed to be downloaded separately or is it all one big package?

No idea.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Yeah sorry for the daft question. I was just looking at it on the shelves when I asked but I looked at another game and I noticed the bar saying INCLUDES FREE STUFF. Checked again and yeah they are free. As for the download thing I guess I'll find out soon enough. Can't wait! It's like being a kid again :neckbeard:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GoldenNugget posted:

I beg to differ, though I generally dug Lithtech engine games anyway(the other one I can think of is Shogo). I would describe the game as "reasonably fun", though it's a different atmosphere than the first Blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Does TA Kingdoms have enough differences with unit properties and such that it feels like more than just a reskin of TA?