Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011

Granite Octopus posted:

Hey there fellow Rhodia pad user. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

What kind of cocoa?

Nice eye. Unfortunately nothing fancy, Nestle or Swiss Miss I think (can't remember what it was).

But thanks for the reminder. Time to make a cup here at work.

GravyWPG
Sep 15, 2011

AAAAGH! BEEF GRAVY! IT'S BURNING MY FLESH! BUT IT'S SOOOO DELICIOUS!

gently caress yeah, TRAILMIX

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Wires everywhere!

Netbook not hooked up to monitor, I have a tower PC as well.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

7lip posted:

Wires everywhere!

Netbook not hooked up to monitor, I have a tower PC as well.

Why 2 mice?

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

muskrat posted:

Why 2 mice?

The little one on the right is for the netbook.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

7lip posted:

The little one on the right is for the netbook.

Have you tried using Synergy (or similar), or do you just like to keep them separate?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

GravyWPG posted:

gently caress yeah, TRAILMIX
lol @ maximized browser

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

muskrat posted:

Have you tried using Synergy (or similar), or do you just like to keep them separate?

Was so excited earlier this month when I got a macbook to see that synergy was getting updates again, only to find out that synergy on mac is somewhat broken.

Anyways, my desk in my lab right now.

Simple but effective.

And way cleaner than my desk at home is right now :smithicide:

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Mr. Despair posted:

Was so excited earlier this month when I got a macbook to see that synergy was getting updates again, only to find out that synergy on mac is somewhat broken.

How is it broken? I use it every day with Windows, Linux, and Mac machines with no problems

Edit: Also based on your picture, if you are in an academic lab i'd guess the postdoc is on the right, then grad student, then undergrad. This is based purely on perceived chair comfort.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 14, 2011

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
There are also a bunch of synergy alternatives these days.

Null Set
Nov 5, 2007

the dog represents disdain

Bucket Joneses posted:

There are also a bunch of synergy alternatives these days.

What are some of these alternatives? Wasn't real thrilled with Synergy the last time I used it.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

muskrat posted:

I just prefer it seperate; the netbook gets taken to and from work most every day, I don't even really use it at home other than moving things back and forth.

Ornithoptometrist
Oct 1, 2008

Yarr

Modern Pragmatist posted:

How is it broken? I use it every day with Windows, Linux, and Mac machines with no problems

On my Mac (2008? Still running leopard) I consistently get a segmentation fault after about 10 seconds of use.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

muskrat posted:

Nice eye. Unfortunately nothing fancy, Nestle or Swiss Miss I think (can't remember what it was).

Swiss Miss? Scrub.

You're going have to just fill the cup with marshmallows.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Modern Pragmatist posted:

Edit: Also based on your picture, if you are in an academic lab i'd guess the postdoc is on the right, then grad student, then undergrad. This is based purely on perceived chair comfort.

The version I used http://synergy-foss.org/ . Has some known bugs with the way mac handles stuff right now (some of the function calls they used before aren't supported anymore and they haven't figured out how to make the replacement functions work right yet, from what I read on their bug tracker). The end result is that double clicks don't register right, and when you click on a new window oftentimes the topmenu doesn't change, so the topmenu will have chrome's menu open even though the finder is in focus.

Wound up just moving my arc keyboard back to my home desk and picking up a bluetooth apple keyboard, and combined they take up about as much desk space as the old keyboard did.

And that's actually pretty close to right for the seating, although there's no postdoc at the moment (and the undergrad doesn't realize that the black chair is actually more comfortable yet, sucker).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Samaurai sword, popcorn tin...

Sorry, I was just browsing through 3DRealms Legacy Interviews and just had to share. They have a lot of late 1990's/early 2000's office photos.

http://www.3drealms.com/legacy.html

shane86
Aug 7, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Have any Galant Owners used this? Summera Computer Holder.

I'd be down with it, but it seems a little flimsy? Thanks.

it worked great when i had my G5 in it... but i have since switched to a custom built with mammoth Antec 1200.. doesn't fit :(

Pitty too.. i loved being able to stuff cables and crap under the case.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.
Installed a dual-arm monitor mount from Monoprice and cleaned things up a bit:

HollowYears
Aug 18, 2009
Long story short, I'm moving soon and would like a corner desk.

Any recommendations?

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

HollowYears posted:

Any recommendations?

Not a single person has recommended the Ikea Gallant desk. At all. Ever.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Null Set posted:

What are some of these alternatives? Wasn't real thrilled with Synergy the last time I used it.

Don't know whether it helps much, because it does cost a bit, but I bought a copy of Multiplicity after Synergy didn't work properly with - horrible nerd moment here - dual-boxing in World of Warcraft.

Synergy would just make the relative mouse control (when controlling a character's movement) screw up completely and I'd spin in circles. Multiplicity worked perfectly.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

HollowYears posted:

Any recommendations?

I too would be interested in this as well, but a wide-ish keyboard tray is a requirement, and drawers would be nice.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

HollowYears posted:

Any recommendations?

http://legarefurniture.com/product.php?Product=CDEM-120

Love it to death! I snagged it off amazon for $400 shipping was from the Seattle warehouse so it was expidited to me. So awesome

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Don't know whether it helps much, because it does cost a bit, but I bought a copy of Multiplicity after Synergy didn't work properly with - horrible nerd moment here - dual-boxing in World of Warcraft.

Synergy would just make the relative mouse control (when controlling a character's movement) screw up completely and I'd spin in circles. Multiplicity worked perfectly.

Sadly they don't support Linux or Os X. I've always had good luck with Stardocks's other products though, so it doesn't surprise me that it works great with windows.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Not a single person has recommended the Ikea Gallant desk. At all. Ever.

Is that a good or bad thing? I'm considering on whether I should get a new desk since it's a old dinky little thing that I think came from CompUSA. I've seen some photos here of people using the Gallant which I think look nice and there is an Ikea relatively close to me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Edward IV posted:

Is that a good or bad thing? I'm considering on whether I should get a new desk since it's a old dinky little thing that I think came from CompUSA. I've seen some photos here of people using the Gallant which I think look nice and there is an Ikea relatively close to me.

He was being very sarcastic as there's nearly a reference to the Gallant on every page.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Edward IV posted:

Read a few pages of the thread. The galant is awesome. I have two. I may buy a third.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I just wanted to make sure since it looks like I'm going to be dropping around $250 for the setup I want. Since they really are that good, I'll go ahead and get it this weekend.

muskrat
Aug 16, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Swiss Miss? Scrub.

You're going have to just fill the cup with marshmallows.

Yeahyeahyeah. Finding some better brands is on my list of to-dos. Recommendations?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

muskrat posted:

Yeahyeahyeah. Finding some better brands is on my list of to-dos. Recommendations?

Penzey's is pretty good, from what I hear.

Fap of Death
Oct 17, 2011

My desktop. A bit of a mess at the moment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Fap of Death posted:

My desktop. A bit of a mess at the moment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Probation within your first 3 posts on the forum! Congrats!

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Just wondering, how well built are the Galant series?

I've heard references of Ikea products being cheap Swedish crap. However, my friend just brought up how Ikea's business model is environmentally unsustainable and how it encourages consumers to buy and then later discard their products when they get bored of it or it breaks. (Not that I'll get rid of it when I'm bored since I'm looking for practical furniture and my current desk is messy to use.)

Is that still the case? Or are the Galant series part of that unsustainable business model and will eventually break on you?

Not to bring D&D in here but I am somewhat environmentally conscience. Only somewhat because I'll only do it if it's convenient and I'm not particularly in the mood to peruse through Craigslist for something similar as an alternative. I really do have my eyes set on the Galant series.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Galants will last forever. 5 years with mine and it's not even got the slightest wobble. I have 4 monitors and a massive rig on it.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Edward IV posted:

Just wondering, how well built are the Galant series?

I've heard references of Ikea products being cheap Swedish crap. However, my friend just brought up how Ikea's business model is environmentally unsustainable and how it encourages consumers to buy and then later discard their products when they get bored of it or it breaks. (Not that I'll get rid of it when I'm bored since I'm looking for practical furniture and my current desk is messy to use.)

Is that still the case? Or are the Galant series part of that unsustainable business model and will eventually break on you?

Not to bring D&D in here but I am somewhat environmentally conscience. Only somewhat because I'll only do it if it's convenient and I'm not particularly in the mood to peruse through Craigslist for something similar as an alternative. I really do have my eyes set on the Galant series.

People say that about Ikea because they go and buy the cheapest pieces of furniture they can find at the store and then are shocked that it doesn't last 10 years and 15 moves. If you buy Ikea furniture and treat it like furniture and don't move every six months, ikea furniture is perfectly fine, and their midrange products are really good.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

The Gallant is goddamned genius, I love mine.

It seems like it'll last if you don't move it, but if you have to disassemble and move it somewhere, I'm certain it won't be as tight the second time around (oo'er matron).
The whole thing is held together by screws and nylon inserts.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

HKR posted:

People say that about Ikea because they go and buy the cheapest pieces of furniture they can find at the store and then are shocked that it doesn't last 10 years and 15 moves. If you buy Ikea furniture and treat it like furniture and don't move every six months, ikea furniture is perfectly fine, and their midrange products are really good.

This. A $15 dollar 5 foot bookcase is gonna last about as long as you think it will.

My $300 bed is rock solid. My $200 dining table is rock solid. My $900 corner couch loving owns.

Etc etc. Go past the cheap stuff and Ikea is really nice, with big fat warranties.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Every business model is environmentally unsustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
My Vika tabletop is already falling apart. I should have gotten a Galant, but I think I'm moving within the next year, so hopefully the point is moot. I'm kind of terrified it's going to one day snap in half with all my poo poo on it, though :ohdear:

(what I'm saying is do not be fooled by the cheap tables and get a goddamn Galant)