Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
I recently updated my MyTouch 3g Slide to CyanogenMod-7.0.3-Slide and found my GPS not working. Google tells me this is a common problem with the recent CM7 build but it's been difficult wading through the billions of threads with similar but not quite the same problems that I have.

Does anyone here have experience with getting GPS to work on a MyTouch 3g Slide with CM7.3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

SLOSifl posted:

The alignment issues were fixed in last Friday's build.

Previously I just set my DPI to 270 and everything aligned just fine, lockscreens included.

A full wipe and flashing the newest version still has the problem. Even setting the DPI to 270 does nothing to center the lockscreen element positions. The rest of the UI, yes. But not the lockscreen elements. Just makes them appear even further off-center. Setting the DPI lower doesn't work either.

I'll keep trying as new versions come out I guess.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Agh.

I guess I jacked up my Nook Color, I guess...

I wanted to update to CM 7.1 but first I decided to try MIUI. Went ahead and downloaded both through Rom Manager and threw MIUI on there for funsies, ended up not liking it so I decided to wipe and throw CM 7.1 on there. Went to do that today, did it through Rom manager and now nothing. It gets past the splash screen then just goes to a black lit screen. Very frustrating. So I decided to just start over and reinstall CM 7.1 from my SD card, now I can't get any of our computers to read any of my SD cards. I'm thinking it's my card reader but it still blows.

I have a suspicion I didn't give it enough time on the first boot before restarting it, could restarting it during that first boot jack something up that bad? Man, my Nook was running perfectly, it's what I get for messing around with it just because.

Edit: FRUSTRATED!!!!

Codiusprime fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 13, 2011

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So Ive rooted my LG One, installed some stuff, adfree etc.

Now Ive been wanting to try some custom ROMs. Which one you would recommend for my phone?

Also, is it possible (by means of a custom ROM or any other way) to have both a portuguese and english dictionary for typing?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

So Ive rooted my LG One, installed some stuff, adfree etc.

Now Ive been wanting to try some custom ROMs. Which one you would recommend for my phone?

Also, is it possible (by means of a custom ROM or any other way) to have both a portuguese and english dictionary for typing?

I'll assume you're referring to the Optimus One.

If you're still running the stock Froyo ROM, I'd recommend the unofficial CM7.1 port by mik_os.

If you're running the stock Gingerbread ROM or have upgraded to it, you might be better off running OpenOptimus or Iridium IR-77. This is because LG hosed up bigtime by including an entirely new baseband with their stock Gingerbread ROM, which the CM7 port doesn't use. There are workarounds available, but so far, I haven't seen any that are that reliable.

General flashing instructions here.

If you need Portuguese for keyboard use, the simplest solution might just be to grab either Go Keyboard or Smart Keyboard and their equivalent Portuguese add-ons.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 13, 2011

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

anakha posted:

I'll assume you're referring to the Optimus One.

If you're still running the stock Froyo ROM, I'd recommend the unofficial CM7.1 port by mik_os.

If you're running the stock Gingerbread ROM or have upgraded to it, you might be better off running OpenOptimus or Iridium IR-77. This is because LG hosed up bigtime by including an entirely new baseband with their stock Gingerbread ROM, which the CM7 port doesn't use. There are workarounds available, but so far, I haven't seen any that are that reliable.

General flashing instructions here.

If you need Portuguese for keyboard use, the simplest solution might just be to grab either Go Keyboard or Smart Keyboard and their equivalent Portuguese add-ons.

Yes, is the Optimus One. And yes, Im still using stock froyo.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what would be the advantages of using CyanogenMod? Looking at its features list (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/about/features), Im not very impressed. Is there any other advantages?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Hey LastinLine I opened a bluetooth audio issue that will at least get some attention, you could try and piggy back your issue.

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=4392

Another guy posted that he loses all sound after making a bluetooth phone call, so I'm going to try that.

Also, LiL you can try debugging with an HCI dump + Logcat (I use the app catlog)
You can get the hcidump by

- run 'Terminal Emulator'
- execute 'su'
- execute 'hcidump -w /sdcard/btdump'
- Connect the headset, switch around between tracks a bit
- Ctrl+C the hcidump
- Fetch the file from the device

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yes, is the Optimus One. And yes, Im still using stock froyo.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what would be the advantages of using CyanogenMod? Looking at its features list (http://www.cyanogenmod.com/about/features), Im not very impressed. Is there any other advantages?

For me, personally, the poo poo-ton of customization options I have with CM7 (ranging from how I want my status bar to look to how far I want to overclock my phone) really help me tweak my phone just exactly how I like it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vaporware posted:

Hey LastinLine I opened a bluetooth audio issue that will at least get some attention, you could try and piggy back your issue.

http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod/issues/detail?id=4392

Another guy posted that he loses all sound after making a bluetooth phone call, so I'm going to try that.

Also, LiL you can try debugging with an HCI dump + Logcat (I use the app catlog)
You can get the hcidump by

- run 'Terminal Emulator'
- execute 'su'
- execute 'hcidump -w /sdcard/btdump'
- Connect the headset, switch around between tracks a bit
- Ctrl+C the hcidump
- Fetch the file from the device
Thanks I'll get to it as soon as I can. It worries me that two separate people in the xda thread aren't having any trouble with their Bluetooth but I guess this can't hurt.

Edit: I'm guessing since I can't even discover the device turning on Bluetooth and trying to discover will suffice?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 13, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If I upgrade to this new system version 1.3.380 update from Verizon for my Droid X2, will it cause me to lose my root access? Will I have to re-root if I do it?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Thanks I'll get to it as soon as I can. It worries me that two separate people in the xda thread aren't having any trouble with their Bluetooth but I guess this can't hurt.

Edit: I'm guessing since I can't even discover the device turning on Bluetooth and trying to discover will suffice?

I'll try mine out in my car dock in a few hours. Will report back.

I may forget, so if I don't get back with you by tomorrow, remind me.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 13, 2011

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

TheJoker138 posted:

If I upgrade to this new system version 1.3.380 update from Verizon for my Droid X2, will it cause me to lose my root access? Will I have to re-root if I do it?

Yup

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

anakha posted:

For me, personally, the poo poo-ton of customization options I have with CM7 (ranging from how I want my status bar to look to how far I want to overclock my phone) really help me tweak my phone just exactly how I like it.

That features page dont give much details about those configuration options, but that looks interesting, love customizing.

Any disadvantages I should know about? Do I risk losing any of my phone features?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

Yup

Will it just be the same way I did it before? Cause it was pretty easy. Or will there be something else I have to do? Also, what does the update do, does anyone know? Is it even worth it to do?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Chocolate Thunder did not have good things to say about it. Pretty sure you can root it using the same method we used to root Gingerbread.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Anyone else using Warm on their EVO 3D and getting absurdly good battery life?

It's been so good, I am convinced that the phone has to be misreporting it.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Lowen SoDium posted:

I am convinced that the phone has to be misreporting it.

Could be if you haven't done a battery calibration.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Anyone else using Warm on their EVO 3D and getting absurdly good battery life?

It's been so good, I am convinced that the phone has to be misreporting it.

I don't know, the Evo 3D seems to be capable of ridiculously awesome battery life if you optimize for it. My 4G I could never ever ever leave unplugged overnight, it'd be stone dead or somewhere below 5% in the morning if I did. My 3D, I've actually managed to get nearly 48 hours on a charge out of on the weekends and 36 hours on weekdays no problem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today I installed a new kernel on my G2x: Faux's kernel with the DS battery driver (as opposed to the CM one since this supposedly gives better battery life). I don't know what any of that means, just that the battery is a random number generator again:

I haven't recharged it, so maybe it's a side effect of that, but drat.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
Has anyone tried upgrading an Optimus V with Gingerbread? I rooted mine and it has stock Froyo on it and I see that upgrading to Gingerbread is possible, but I am wondering if it is even worth attempting.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
A few folks in the Sprint thread reported that the GB update for the Optimus S blows chunks. Can't say about the Optimus V, but I doubt they're all that different.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I think aside from the buttons, its the exact same phone. That is a big of a bummer, but I guess Froyo has been working out ok for me. Oh well!

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
I've got the Galaxy S2 CM7 build 80, and I can't find where to manage per-app permissions anywhere, can someone point me in the right direction?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Porkchop Express posted:

I think aside from the buttons, its the exact same phone. That is a big of a bummer, but I guess Froyo has been working out ok for me. Oh well!

My co-worker owns one and says that update blows chunks and that CM7 is way better in battery life and performance.

Pres
Dec 20, 2005

ever since I could remember I been poppin' mah collar
This probably sound weird but I really want to root my new HTC sensation using revolutionary.io and I entered the beta key but every fibre in my being wouldn't let me press enter to start the rooting process. I feel like it's some sort of point of no return where if I gently caress up that's it.

Can someone please re-assure me that it's not as bad as i'm making it out to be, thanks.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Quit spazzin. Virtuous Rom team has an updated and optimized version of the Sensation shipped rom which you should try.

Have a couple stiff drinks and get on with it. Once you have adfree android you'll wonder why you even hesitated at all.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rohaq posted:

I've got the Galaxy S2 CM7 build 80, and I can't find where to manage per-app permissions anywhere, can someone point me in the right direction?

Settings-->Apps-->Manage apps

scroll down to the permissions and click on the text. The permission will be struck out if it's disabled (ignore the green checkmark)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Tamba posted:

Settings-->Apps-->Manage apps

scroll down to the permissions and click on the text. The permission will be struck out if it's disabled (ignore the green checkmark)

You also have to enable permissions management somewhere in CM settings before it will let you strike them out.

edit: settings - cm settings - applications - permission mgmt.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 13, 2011

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pres posted:

Can someone please re-assure me that it's not as bad as i'm making it out to be, thanks.
It's really the opposite. The rooting process can be entirely undone. Both in the sense that you don't have to do anything you get S-OFF, and in the sense that you can load up stock and S-ON again if you really want.

The problem is that if you wait too long and (accidentally) apply an update, you're screwed forever being unable to get S-OFF. With the official method it's not fatal, but S-OFF is strictly superior.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Slopehead posted:

\/\/\/\/ XDA is a hellhole and that's really vague advice. If you're going to give advice, be specific and don't make the poor bastard have to dig through that crummy place with tons of contradictory everything just to find the solutions which he needs.

Yeah, that's what brought me to asking here - I'd wade through all that for my own phone, but this is not my phone. Thanks for the links!

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's really the opposite. The rooting process can be entirely undone. Both in the sense that you don't have to do anything you get S-OFF, and in the sense that you can load up stock and S-ON again if you really want.

The problem is that if you wait too long and (accidentally) apply an update, you're screwed forever being unable to get S-OFF. With the official method it's not fatal, but S-OFF is strictly superior.

Can you get S-OFF with the OTA on the Sensation yet? Or are you relegated to going through HTC's official method?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Elias_Maluco posted:

That features page dont give much details about those configuration options, but that looks interesting, love customizing.

Any disadvantages I should know about? Do I risk losing any of my phone features?

Firstly, here are the known existing bugs with the CM7 port:

-Divx/xvid playback won't work (use MoboPlayer)
-Strange crash in Camera (to fix, restore defaults in video mode)
-ADW - Widgets: crashing occurs after Choose Catalog
-Empty device serial number (IMEI is ok, official firmware has same bug)

GPS can be a bit wonky for my phone, but I'm still trying to figure out how much of that is due to lovely satellite coverage.

Second disadvantage might be in how much work you'll need to put into setting up a custom ROM on your O1.

1) You're going to need to do full wipe (cache, davlik cache, data) before flashing any custom ROMs, so you'll need to take/restore backups as needed.

2) Do you have custom recovery installed? The instructions for flashing ROMs I sent earlier also includes custom recovery setup, which you'll need so that you can save an image of your phone as it currently stands, and restore that image if you're not satisfied with the custom ROM you're messing around with.

3) For apps you've already installed and the stored data within them, you can use Titanium Backup to save them and reinstall them once you've finished flashing your custom ROM.

4) CM7 doesn't come with the usual Google apps installed - you'll need to flash them separately (links to those GApps can be found in the links I posted earlier)

5) I also recommend backing up your SD card contents to your computer, and making sure exported backups of your contact list and text messages exist.

A third disadvantage might exist if you really want to retain any of the LG-specific apps you have on your phone. I suggest using Root Explorer to see if you can dig out the .apks of those apps and save them on your computer for reinstallation later on.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I guess my previous questions don't matter, cause every time I try and do that OTA update I just got for my X2, it just says update failed :iamafag:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Updates will sometimes fail if certain things have changed. Grab the update from XDA or something, pre-rooted.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

TheJoker138 posted:

I guess my previous questions don't matter, cause every time I try and do that OTA update I just got for my X2, it just says update failed :iamafag:

Removing apps from the system/app directory can cause ota's to fail.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

rotaryfun posted:

Removing apps from the system/app directory can cause ota's to fail.

Well that explains it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think I'm ready to go back to Cyanogen from MIUI. MIUI is loving beautiful and such with all the themes you can get (so not all menus are basic black). It just gets way too finicky and everything starts force closing after a while.

I might even try a sense-like rom this time around. Any suggestions from a fan of CM7 what a good sense-ish rom would be?

I have an Incredible.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 14, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Virtuous Unity supports Incredible S and Incredible 2, it was my favorite Sense ROM I tried on my Inspire.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Agreed. The latest Unity release is very good. They managed to fix a bunch of the problems I was having on my G2 on an earlier (1.39) release after having spent a week bitching at CJward the user experience admin.

It's a shame it decided to bootloop then go unresponsive after a week runtesting. I really dug how smooth it was running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is there some sort of repository for CM7 themes?