Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Talas posted:

She had bird-boy and she lost him :smith:

He flew away and we did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Fargo Fukes posted:

He flew away and we did nothing.

He should eat a bagel.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

1stGear posted:

If she was just lonely or didn't want to interrupt the moment or whatever, then why did she look at Paz, the one who mistook her for a lesbian?

I suppose its possible she just doesn't like the idea of Annie and Jack becoming BFFs and Jack rolling up in her turf, but I think its more likely that she's feeling some weird pangs of jealousy and doesn't quite understand why.

Somewhere, Chibisoma is getting excited again and writing Gunnerkrigg/Sailor Moon lesbian crossover fanfic.

nothings
Sep 29, 2008

1stGear posted:

If she was just lonely or didn't want to interrupt the moment or whatever, then why did she look at Paz, the one who mistook her for a lesbian?

Paz is the only other one present (I think) with no romantic prospects, so maybe it's just seeing her as a comrade-at-arms. But yeah, multiple possible interpretations; I came here explicitly to see how other people read it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Dodgeball posted:

He should eat a bagel.

I don't think she's interested in businessmen.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

nothings posted:

Paz is the only other one present (I think) with no romantic prospects, so maybe it's just seeing her as a comrade-at-arms. But yeah, multiple possible interpretations; I came here explicitly to see how other people read it.

Kat wakes up not really realizing she'd slept, wondering what's going on at the gathering; looks at nearest person, Paz, who is sound asleep. Looks around at what catches her eye is Annie and Jack hugging, they were obviously having some Serious Talk and she has nothing to do with it and doesn't want anything to do with it. She's bored and there's nothing to do so she leans back and closes her eyes.

This comic is frightening. I can just feel my teenage self going through the motions and feelings.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Cyphoderus posted:

Kat wakes up not really realizing she'd slept, wondering what's going on at the gathering; looks at nearest person, Paz, who is sound asleep. Looks around at what catches her eye is Annie and Jack hugging, they were obviously having some Serious Talk and she has nothing to do with it and doesn't want anything to do with it. She's bored and there's nothing to do so she leans back and closes her eyes.

This comic is frightening. I can just feel my teenage self going through the motions and feelings.

Yeah, I actually identify with this one. So many sleepovers (or full-on parties, as I grew older) where I was restless or the first to wake, and everyone is either asleep or clearly needing some privacy. I probably need to pee really bad and I'm bored. loving sucks.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Transplanted from the webcomic thread:

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for City Face?

Not that it's bad, there's just really not that much to it. Plus Tom used to do guest strips in between books and I'd love to see other webcomic artists like Der-Shing Helmer and John Allison and SuperHappy put their own interpretation and style on the characters.

Plus Tom needs an actual god damned break.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

Yes. :colbert:

(Actually not true. Magpies do not like City Face.)

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
From what I've gathered from his Twitter etc., GC is Tom's break. It's his chance to do art, write a story, create something that's totally his, and get some recognition. Birds gotta fly, Tom's gotta cartoon.

And considering how fast he normally works, I get the feeling he can knock out two weeks' worth of City Face in the time it takes him to do one color comic.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Ironic Twist posted:

Transplanted from the webcomic thread:

Not that it's bad, there's just really not that much to it. Plus Tom used to do guest strips in between books and I'd love to see other webcomic artists like Der-Shing Helmer and John Allison and SuperHappy put their own interpretation and style on the characters.

Plus Tom needs an actual god damned break.
You know he'd just use the break to do even more comics.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I think City Face is his idea of a break

Edit: Aww poo poo, kinda beaten. But totally there are still some ideas left...

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

Yes, it's the closest he'll get to filler. Well, that and the vacation letters he did during the first year summer break.

Far better than the usual random sketch or mixed-bag of guest work most comics use.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

City Face is like the animated shorts Pixar do before every one of their movies. You didn't go to see it, but it's nice to watch regardless.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The Human Businessman and Blackberry gag had me in stitches.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mirage posted:

From what I've gathered from his Twitter etc., GC is Tom's break. It's his chance to do art, write a story, create something that's totally his, and get some recognition. Birds gotta fly, Tom's gotta cartoon.

And considering how fast he normally works, I get the feeling he can knock out two weeks' worth of City Face in the time it takes him to do one color comic.

Man, Tom really makes other webcomic artists look bad! High-quality, quick, and consistent updates with beautiful art and quality writing? I know we can all think of other examples, but they are certainly the exception.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Evil Sagan posted:

Man, Tom really makes other webcomic artists look bad! High-quality, quick, and consistent updates with beautiful art and quality writing? I know we can all think of other examples, but they are certainly the exception.

gunshow :colbert:

e: in fact, i find gunshow's current arc to be very moving

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Why is Annie's head so big in panel 6? Is it supposed to symbolize something?

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Fried Chicken posted:

Why is Annie's head so big in panel 6? Is it supposed to symbolize something?
Nah, Winsbury just held up turbo and steal until tipoff.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Today's strip is seriously aw.

I think Annie's legs are messed up in the final panel though

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

How the hell is this man so good at showing the experience of being a teenage girl? Or had I just forgotten what a competent writer actually is after all these years on the internet?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
In a rare reversal of the fact that nine out of ten "teenage girls" on the Internet are middle-aged men, "Tom Siddell" is actually a teenage girl.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nipponophile posted:

In a rare reversal of the fact that nine out of ten "teenage girls" on the Internet are middle-aged men, "Tom Siddell" is actually a teenage girl.
That does explain the depression and low self-esteem.

spooky attic
Jun 17, 2009

Ineffective at haunting cartridges.

Kismet posted:

How the hell is this man so good at showing the experience of being a teenage girl? Or had I just forgotten what a competent writer actually is after all these years on the internet?

Paraphrased from his own words, he just assumes they are human beings.

It is pretty cool to see someone who can do that with any character they use.

AfroSpatula
Jan 1, 2007

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
It's an avatar you see.

Dodgeball posted:

Maybe you can explain it to the rest of the class.

(You might be thinking something different from me and I'd like to hear it).

'I cannot do that to her but what do I say' / sadness that she asked

'still sad but this is the best way' / mental relief

edited meaning

AfroSpatula fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 12, 2011

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
This is such a good comic.

Lontan
Jan 18, 2005
Fan ta isbjörnsjävlarna!
I think this chapter shows really well that Tom has made just as much progress with his writing skills as with the art. It has packed in a lot of excellent characterisation, and compared to earlier parts of the comic all the the characters have become interesting and well-rounded.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Going from Archer to reading this comic is a hell of a whiplash.
Also d'awwwwww

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Aah, spirit-bud is awesome.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

We knew Bud was being sneaky, but it's awesome that he's still an okay dude.

He's like that cool uncle that lets the kids get away with more when he babysits, but is still around to step in if things go nuts.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Love the art in today's strip.

Also, who's Llanwellyn? The headmaster?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DaveWoo posted:

Yes.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That is the most beautiful crab I've ever seen.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

You know, it really is pretty cool how well Tom manages to blend the mundane and the fantastic. I mean, just... their chaperone is a floating spirit crab. Of course. Why not?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

DaveWoo posted:

Love the art in today's strip.

I think that's his and Janet's last name?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
also Llanwellyn is a really weird surname seeing as the Welsh prefix Llan is basically like the english suffix -ham or -ton.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
So, Wellington in Welsh? That's not that weird.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Nipponophile posted:

So, Wellington in Welsh? That's not that weird.

Haha I suppose that would be similar (it seems to translate literally as Ranger Town, I'd never come across the word wellyn before!), but it's still an odd name for a person to have. Welsh names are usually patrimonial, either along the lines Ap Dafydd, Ap Grufydd, etc or Edwards, Thomas, Davies, etc. I don't think I've ever come across a place name type surname in Welsh.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

Tom is a known fan of folk singer Kate Rusby, whose performances include songs called Sir Eglamore, Annan Waters, Awkward Annie, Matt Hyland and Maid of Llanwellyn.

The more you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:stare: Bud's etheric form. :stare:

I love the second panel, Annie peeking out at Bud, with the contrast between the normal and etheric. Reminds me a bit of the Third Treatise, too, with the eye in her hair.