Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Lurdiak posted:

Ultimate Avengers vs New Ultimates was basically a bag full of air with really cool stuff painted on the bag. but if you try to reach in and find anything of substance, it deflates with a farting noise.

I liked the issues that showed why exactly the Punisher was trying to shoot Captain America (and also if you don't read UAvNU, you don't realize that Peter jumped in the way of a bullet that was specifically aimed at Cap's knees, Punisher was going for a non-lethal shot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I liked the issues that showed why exactly the Punisher was trying to shoot Captain America (and also if you don't read UAvNU, you don't realize that Peter jumped in the way of a bullet that was specifically aimed at Cap's knees, Punisher was going for a non-lethal shot).

This is just depressing.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Speaking of The Punisher, do we have any idea what he's up to now? Is he going to be showing up in any of the books. I'd assume he's taking the death of Peter quite hard.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is Ultimate Punisher, so maybe not so much.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Besides the Ultimates and the new stuff, what Ultimate stuff have you read?

I would really recommend reading as much of, if not all, of Ultimate Spider-Man, which is quite a bit. It's great the entire way through, in my opinion (though Bendis' storytelling style is "slow", in trade it's an awesome build.) I also enjoyed Ultimate Fantastic Four at the beginning too, although the quality dropped off a bit.

Ultimate X-Men had its ups and downs through its original run, that's for sure.

Did you read the Death of Spider-Man arc of USM? If not, it's interesting to read that and Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates, as they are parallel story arcs and one ties directly in to the other.

Sometime I guess a little after Ultimatum ended I got curious about USM and The Ultimates having heard good things about both, so I started picking up all the post-Ultimatum reboot/renumbering singles (I figured they'd keep things new-reader friendly since they were all on new #1s) and reading USM and The Ultimates in trades kind of in parallel to what was going on in the current issues. Didn't take long to read all The Ultimates stuff- I was going to just read Millar's 2 volumes but I saw Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum at my local library so I read those too, figuring I'd get what'd probably be the absolute bottom of the Ultimate Universe barrel out of the way before I got too invested in the continuity. Both were as bad as the Internet lead me to believe they'd be.

I read up to about Ultimate Six in USM while also reading the current singles, and thought it was all pretty great, but then I got too busy for comics just as Death of Spider-Man: Prelude started. I always intended to return to USM and read it all the way through properly though and the current goings-on with Miles Malone finally provoked me to properly catch up! So now I'm continuing through USM from where I left off.

I've also decided to read through Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate Fantastic Four until they start to suck. I kind of ignored these books before- I once made a false start on Ultimate X-Men but didn't stick to it because I guess The Ultimates was colouring my expectations a bit much. So far as I've read his stuff I think Ultimates 1 & 2 are basically the peak of Millar's output even though they're full to the brim with Mark-Millar-ness for a lack of a better word. Now I'm reading through Millar's UXM run (I guess his run and Bendis' run seem to be the two that are best regarded?) and read through the first big hardcover of UFF (I don't know how much of UFF is considered worthwhile though).

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I really like UFF a whole lot. The Ellis run and the Carey run I thought were incredible. I remember liking the Millar/Land when it first came out but on recent re-read I think there's to much Zombies! in it for me. First arc was cool too, mostly for that hot Kubert art.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I really like UFF a whole lot. The Ellis run and the Carey run I thought were incredible. I remember liking the Millar/Land when it first came out but on recent re-read I think there's to much Zombies! in it for me. First arc was cool too, mostly for that hot Kubert art.
Ditto here, the first Carey arc (God War) is how I got several non-comics fans into Marvel. I love how alien it all feels.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.
I really loved the shock and awe of that first Zombies arc. From open to close it was easily my favorite thing in UFF and one of my favorite Ultimate stories.

If only they hadn't ruined it by continuing the rest of the zombies shtick throughout all those drat series.

I used to joke that it was something they could do annually. "Oh look, it's a crossover! I can't wait for-"ZOMBIES!!! "Oh god, I didn't expect that!".

Then they did it every year and it wasn't funny at all...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

It seems Ultimate FF really doesn't get a lot of the credit it deserves. I think the whole run was pretty good. The only down parts to me where the issues that Land drew. And even then it was really only the art in those issues that sucked. I personally loved Carey's run on it. I thought God War was a great story and a real good Ultimization of Thanos. I also loved Spider-Man pretty much the whole way through. The only stories there I didn't care for were the Geldof and Deadpool arcs. And I actually like what they did with Ultimate Deadpool but I just thought the story itself was kind of lame. Ultimate X-Men on the other had had a large run of issues I didn't like at all. And most of them were written by Kirkman. I hated the Apocalypse story he did. Mostly because I thought Vaughn's take on Sinister was really well done and it kind of undermined what happened there. I also hate the last little arc by Coleite about the Banshee drug. I hope if they bring Colossus back in the new title that stuff is completely forgotten about.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 14, 2011

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Which writer gave Sabretooth 4 adamantium claws?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That would be Mark Millar in the first Weapon X arc. Normally something like that would be stupid but I think it played well in to the 'Sabertooth is a Wolverine knockoff' thing they intentionally had going there.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Happy Hippo posted:

This is just depressing.

You mean the plot, or my reply? Because yeah, the plot is extremely depressing.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I would say the plot. It shows how far Spiderman would go to protect someone, even if it was a non fatal shot.. Here I thought, oh Punisher being the usual jerk that he is.. Boy do I feel stupid. Why did Cap and Nick Fury had a little fight anyways?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Shindragon posted:

I would say the plot. It shows how far Spiderman would go to protect someone, even if it was a non fatal shot.. Here I thought, oh Punisher being the usual jerk that he is.. Boy do I feel stupid. Why did Cap and Nick Fury had a little fight anyways?
(tagged because people were talking about getting it earlier) Tony's even bigger douche of a brother Greg played Danvers and Fury's teams against eachother by painting them both as traitors to take control of SHIELD himself.

The way it was resolved was completely worth reading it for.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Deadpool posted:

It seems Ultimate FF really doesn't get a lot of the credit it deserves. I think the whole run was pretty good. The only down parts to me where the issues that Land drew. And even then it was really only the art in those issues that sucked. I personally loved Carey's run on it. I thought God War was a great story and a real good Ultimization of Thanos. I also loved Spider-Man pretty much the whole way through. The only stories there I didn't care for were the Geldof and Deadpool arcs. And I actually like what they did with Ultimate Deadpool but I just thought the story itself was kind of lame. Ultimate X-Men on the other had had a large run of issues I didn't like at all. And most of them were written by Kirkman. I hated the Apocalypse story he did. Mostly because I thought Vaughn's take on Sinister was really well done and it kind of undermined what happened there. I also hate the last little arc by Coleite about the Banshee drug. I hope if they bring Colossus back in the new title that stuff is completely forgotten about.

I actually really liked the ideas behind the drug arc, and I wish it hadn't been squished in before the Ultimatum crap happened. It might have actually had a chance to be good, then.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

invalid user posted:

Which writer gave Sabretooth 4 adamantium claws?

Oh man, I just looked up Ultimate Sabretooth on Wikipedia and this very cold part made me laugh:

Wikipedia posted:

In Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, Sabretooth is shown to use his claws as weapons (like the main Marvel Universe version of Sabretooth) instead of his four adamantium claws. No canon explanation has been given for this change.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Internet Wizard posted:

I actually really liked the ideas behind the drug arc, and I wish it hadn't been squished in before the Ultimatum crap happened. It might have actually had a chance to be good, then.

Yeah, Ultimate X-Men is a series that's full of good ideas that were executed horribly. The drug one just stands out to me because I didn't care for totally undoing the character of Colossus like that. Another that stands out is Kirkman's Cable story. I like the idea of Cable being Wolverine from the future. It's a neat spin on the character but it was executed horribly I thought. Kirkman's run is just filled with stuff that could have been good but that he just ended up completely wasting.

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

quote:

Wikipedia posted:
In Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, Sabretooth is shown to use his claws as weapons (like the main Marvel Universe version of Sabretooth) instead of his four adamantium claws. No canon explanation has been given for this change.
They fell off.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I meant the plot.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Just to make sure I got that ending, but did Hickman actually just introduce Ultimate Xorn?

God drat.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I think he did. Kind of annoyed they're bringing Magneto back to be honest :v:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shindragon posted:

That actually kills the drama to be honest. It basically proves Cap right, which goes against Bendis' whole point in having that be what wounded Peter. It'd be like revealing that Crossbones wasn't actually aiming at the cop 616 Cap jumped in front of in Cap #25, it just makes the hero look dumb, instead of putting the focus on the self-sacrifice.

And I'm also a bit annoyed they went back to Fury as status quo, considering Danvers was a fraction less of a jerk, and Millar was actively making Fury a douchebag in Ultimate Avengers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dacap posted:

Just to make sure I got that ending, but did Hickman actually just introduce Ultimate Xorn?

God drat.

Well this answers my question before I even asked it. Thanks!

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dacap posted:

God drat.

What issue are you talking about here?

Also, did anyone else get a bit confused by Ultimate Spiderman 3? How'd the screaming woman get saved? The art just has a "woosh" SFX, how'd Miles stop her fall?

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 20, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Roboto posted:

Hawkeye #3

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

Mister Roboto posted:

Also, did anyone else get a bit confused by Ultimate Spiderman 3? How'd the screaming woman get saved? The art just has a "woosh" SFX, how'd Miles stop her fall?

He didn't. There was an emergency cushion (I don't know the professional term) below. She landed on it and when Miles exited with the little girl he landed on it as well.

Like I said, don't know the professional term, but it's just like having a trampoline waiting underneath her (except less likely to induce injuries, I guess.)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hawkeye #3

Just read this.

If they're doing Ultimate Xorn, does that mean they're going with two Xorns from the very start? Since Hickman KNOWS that the readers all know Xorn was Magneto, he could be playing on that expectation. If one is Mags, then who is the other?

Maybe they're reincarnations/clones with the powers of Magneto and Xavier, with the Xavier one calming down Hulk with telepathy. Though his dialogue sounds more like Magneto's.

If it's just a flat out dead-guys-just-return-from-their-vacations like regular comicbook resurrections, I think EVERYONE will be disgusted.

Also thanks for the explanation, Action Missile Eye.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 20, 2011

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Mister Roboto posted:

Just read this.

If they're doing Ultimate Xorn, does that mean they're going with two Xorns from the very start? Since Hickman KNOWS that the readers all know Xorn was Magneto, he could be playing on that expectation. If one is Mags, then who is the other?

Maybe they're reincarnations/clones with the powers of Magneto and Xavier, with the Xavier one calming down Hulk with telepathy. Though his dialogue sounds more like Magneto's.

If it's just a flat out dead-guys-just-return-from-their-vacations like regular comicbook resurrections, I think EVERYONE will be disgusted.

Also thanks for the explanation, Action Missile Eye.

Um, I don't think they're doing a Magneto reveal/2 Xorns at all. Just because that's how it happened in 616 doesn't mean it's the same here. Ultimate Xorn just appears to be a standalone character.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Dacap posted:

God drat.

Ha! Just read it and came to ask that same question. J. Hicks is the best.

MethamphetaMan
Sep 12, 2003

He's got the need for speed.

Dacap posted:

Um, I don't think they're doing a Magneto reveal/2 Xorns at all. Just because that's how it happened in 616 doesn't mean it's the same here. Ultimate Xorn just appears to be a standalone character.

I got the impression that it might still be two characters, but I'm doubtful on a Magneto reveal. The one we've seen was talking to Hulk and Clint is talking to someone else that seems really similar in the other city. Two brothers in the two cities would make sense.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
There were two 'real' Xorns in the 616. The first one with a star for a head was retconned into impersonating Magneto impersonating himself. The second was his twin brother who had a black hole for a head. He was introduced by Chuck Austen and then quickly forgotten about.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

invalid user posted:

I really loved the shock and awe of that first Zombies arc. From open to close it was easily my favorite thing in UFF and one of my favorite Ultimate stories.

If only they hadn't ruined it by continuing the rest of the zombies shtick throughout all those drat series.

I used to joke that it was something they could do annually. "Oh look, it's a crossover! I can't wait for-"ZOMBIES!!! "Oh god, I didn't expect that!".

Then they did it every year and it wasn't funny at all...

Can't disagree more. Zombies were an incredibly low point for comics, in a decade full of them.

As far as the latest ultimate stuff, Hickman's Hawkeye was as good as expected, and Ultimate X-men is a bit disappointing. There's nothing especially wrong that Spencer is doing, but in a re-launch that is just knocking it out of the park, reading a comic that is just "meh" can't help but be disappointing. I'd love to have seen what someone with some real vision could have done with the property.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Can't disagree more. Zombies were an incredibly low point for comics, in a decade full of them.

Did you read the UFF intro of them? Cause I admitted that the rest of the decade of zombies was poo poo, but I really can't see why anyone could hate that UFF arc on the merit of that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mechanigma posted:

There were two 'real' Xorns in the 616. The first one with a star for a head was retconned into impersonating Magneto impersonating himself. The second was his twin brother who had a black hole for a head. He was introduced by Chuck Austen and then quickly forgotten about.

That's not even getting into the implied "Wanda was behind everything" retcon in House of M, or the botched ending to the Collective storyline which attempted to resolve the Xorn thing in a more "satisfying" way than the aforementioned retcon, but only succeeded in making it more confusing.

Gillen said recently that the suggestion for a new Xorn story gets kicked around the X-offices, but that no one actually wants to use him again because untangling the previous series of failed retcons would "involve an entire issue to explain the continuity." For the best, considering Morrison's original intent.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 25, 2011

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The only thing I don't like about Hawkeye is it retconning out him and Widow's first appearance, where he says he doesn't have any implants or anything. Then again, I guess Millar himself already retconned that out when he turned him into having Bullseye powers and being able to kill people with his own fingernails so...meh.

Tolstoi
Apr 3, 2001
So did anyone else think the glowing cave at the end of Ultimate X-Men 2 was a callback to that kid that killed anything he came near that Wolverine "supposedly" killed way back when?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

invalid user posted:

Did you read the UFF intro of them? Cause I admitted that the rest of the decade of zombies was poo poo, but I really can't see why anyone could hate that UFF arc on the merit of that.

UFF was alright, but I guess the rest of the zombie shenanigans in other books soured me on the whole thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shageletic posted:

UFF was alright, but I guess the rest of the zombie shenanigans in other books soured me on the whole thing.

It was a mistake to get Kirkman to do the second mini and the Dead Days thing, because his heart obviously wasn't in it, and it sort of crippled the entire gimmick. He really phoned that one in. That one FF crossover wasn't a bad story but was really unnecessary and removed the hard boundary between the Zombieverse and the regular Marvel-verse, which was a bad decision.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

It was a mistake to get Kirkman to do the second mini and the Dead Days thing, because his heart obviously wasn't in it, and it sort of crippled the entire gimmick. He really phoned that one in. That one FF crossover wasn't a bad story but was really unnecessary and removed the hard boundary between the Zombieverse and the regular Marvel-verse, which was a bad decision.

It also ruined their whole "The Ultimate Universe and the 616 are not in the same multiverse, there is no chance for a cross over, ever" thing that they always said by showing they are in the same multiverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Best part about UFF Zombies arc was that the Zombie Reed was impersonating Ioan Gruffudd.

• Locked thread