Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I wouldn't spend a subsidy on one now, but it's a reasonable sidegrade to the Evo. The nice part about it is that it's going to be the first device on Sprint to get ICS, both officially and unofficially. So in some ways it's a better short-term option than the Evo 3D, and by the time other phones finally get ICS, hopefully Sprint will have the next Nexus device and you'll be eligible for a two-year upgrade.

Was hoping for am EVO 3D but the guy said they couldn't swap with that one for some reason. This is only a short term (1 year) phone until whatever comes out next. I've had a horrible time with my EVO so I'm just looking for something more stable I guess. Speaking of, my EVOs touch screen went out today, and is still out, so it was only a matter of time I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I spent a little time with the Photon out and about today, and it completely blows my expectations out of the water. I cannot wait to see how ICS improves the Android experience.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Well I am leaving the world of Android tomorrow for the iPhone (at least until summer 2012). I will give it a fair chance, and I guess next year I will either get the iPhone 5 or the next great Android device depending my experience.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone having problems with MMS?

Apparently Google and Sprint have filled out a feature of Google Voice that saves MMS to email but on not getting any to send to me.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Posted this in the main iPhone thread, but Sprint iPhones are shipping unlocked. Then they're locking them. Then they may unlock them. :psyduck:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mark Larson posted:

Cosign on that. The disadvantages I see are that it won't have Sense 3.0 ROMs, has a smaller screen and the WiMAX radio was crapping out a lot, but I believe that's been fixed with an update.

Advantages are that it'll have better battery life owing to the smaller screen and newer processor, and first to ICS of the two.

Nexus S signal on all fronts is now beyond solid on Sprint. As a sidegrade the Nexus S is a great choice.

quadratic posted:

Posted this in the main iPhone thread, but Sprint iPhones are shipping unlocked. Then they're locking them. Then they may unlock them. :psyduck:

Sprint has had so many discussions about fraud and this and that for the past few days that I can't see them being willing to unlock these phones anytime soon.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 14, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint has had so many discussions about fraud and this and that for the past few days that I can't see them being willing to unlock these phones anytime soon.
Fraud? :confused:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Fraud? :confused:

iPhones have a really high fraud risk to them. I don't have the list in front of me, but people do crazy stuff. The biggest ones are probably people signing up with no social security, or signing up to then sell it to some 3rd party. The markup is high enough to make it worth it for them.

Keep in mind all wireless carriers pay Apple a shitton of money for these phones. So when someone activates 5 new lines with the iPhone, then cancels them all 30 days later and sells the phone to wherever the hell for a profit, Sprint's out a shitload of money, and in my case working at a 3rd party so is the company I work at (Sprint charges back the full amount to us whenever possible). So its a pretty big deal. Customers tomorrow are limited to one iPhone 4S or 2 iPhone 4's per account, only exception is a new account porting multiple numbers from AT&T, Verizon or TMobile (less likely to be fraud porting numbers from a major carrier).

Btw, for anyone not eligible for an upgrade I think its safe to say Sprint is not budging on most eligibility bumps, the official policy is Sprint will offer you whatever the buyback value is on your phone and that is IT. I've had several friends call retentions and get denied lately. Its still always worth asking, but remember: the iPhone ruins everything :)

Why am I still awake, tomorrow is a 13 hour day for me?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
I think my question got lost in the shuffle a few pages back so ill try again.

I got a refurbished Evo 4g about a month and a half ago. I'm guessing it got a replacement screen as it had a tiny amount of what looks like gasket material poking out from the screen seam. Anyway, I just started noticing that there is dust under 3 of the 4 corners of the screen. Is this something sprint will take care of or will they consider it cosmetic? It irks me more that I sent back a very well taken care of Evo.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

900ftjesus posted:

This will actually help 3G streaming.

1) Click on phone and dial ##DATA# (##3282#)
2) Click on "Edit Mode"
3) Type in your MSL code (see above if you don't have it yet)
4) Choose Advanced
5) Choose RSTP/HTTP Setting
6) Change both IP addresses to 0.0.0.0
7) Change both ports to 0
8) Hit Back button until you're back at your home screen, no restart needed.

Now you're not using Sprint's data proxy.

EDIT: This will very likely reset itself if you flash a ROM, so check it after flashing.

EDIT2: This is set on a lot if not all phones, but the location may differ. You're looking for "RSTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy IP" and the default settings are:

RTSP proxy IP = rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
RTSP proxy port = 554
HTTP proxy IP = pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
HTTP proxy port = 8085

New settings:
RTSP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
RTSP proxy port to: 0
HTTP proxy IP to: 0.0.0.0
HTTP proxy port to: 0

This is really cool...but...why does it work?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

One less thing between you and the server you're streaming from, I guess.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ninmeister posted:

I think my question got lost in the shuffle a few pages back so ill try again.

I got a refurbished Evo 4g about a month and a half ago. I'm guessing it got a replacement screen as it had a tiny amount of what looks like gasket material poking out from the screen seam. Anyway, I just started noticing that there is dust under 3 of the 4 corners of the screen. Is this something sprint will take care of or will they consider it cosmetic? It irks me more that I sent back a very well taken care of Evo.
I don't know if they will fix it, but if it is like my Hero, you will get dust under there for the life of the phone, no matter how many times you go in and clean it out. You've got a bad seal on the case, and particles will make their way in and piss you off for the rest of your time with the phone.

Honestly, I think the best you can hope for is that they will have you take it to a repair center and they will pop the case open and clean out the dust. A week later, you will have dust in there again.

You might want to go online and find a tutorial for opening the case and learning how to clean it yourself. It is a pain, but once you've done it once, it only takes a couple of minutes for future cleanings.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

As a Sprint Premier Silver member nothing changes for me with regards to Sprint ending their annual upgrade thing right? From what I've managed to find that is only a Gold level thing but I wanted to make sure I don't miss out on something by the end of the year.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Tried activating the Photon on my plan on Sprint.com and it doesn't give an option to stay with SERO Premium + $10 4G Fee.

Went to call employee accounts, and I guess the office is closed today. Is the iPhone release a holiday for them?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Duckman2008 posted:

Nope, Sprint/HTC doesn't care and either way its a hardware issue.

No dice, they put a charged battery in and as soon as they saw the Cyanogenmod bootscreen come up they said there was nothing they could do with it.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Just want to make sure this is right.

If I sign up for a new EPRP plan can I port the number after I activate the phone?

Does Sprint still have super fast shipping? I'm sending the phone to my work and don't want it to come over the weekend.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

ZeroAX posted:

Just want to make sure this is right.

If I sign up for a new EPRP plan can I port the number after I activate the phone?

Does Sprint still have super fast shipping? I'm sending the phone to my work and don't want it to come over the weekend.

Fedex and UPS don't deliver on the weekend, let alone to a business unless you pay extra for Saturday delivery.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Matlock posted:

Went to call employee accounts, and I guess the office is closed today. Is the iPhone release a holiday for them?

I was wondering the same thing. Got a message saying to call back during their business hours of 7am-10pm Central Time Monday through Saturday (and 10am-9pm Sundays, I think). Weird.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
So GTA 3 is coming out on a few high-end Android phones and on the list of devices that can run the game is the HTC Evo 2. Do they mean the Evo 3d or did they slip up and accidently leak that there is going to be an Evo 2 released soon? http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19201/announcing-grand-theft-auto-iii-10th-anniversary-edition-for-sel.html

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ZeroAX posted:

Yes just call *2 or go to a store with a recent bill from your old provider when you're ready. You'll get a new (temporary) number in the mean time. I recommend getting your contacts and stuff setup and test the phone a bit before porting, since you're not doing it right away.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Totally TWISTED posted:

As a Sprint Premier Silver member nothing changes for me with regards to Sprint ending their annual upgrade thing right? From what I've managed to find that is only a Gold level thing but I wanted to make sure I don't miss out on something by the end of the year.

They'll no longer offer to check if your phone plan fits your usage pattern once a year. Sorry for your loss.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Sprint buy back offer for my Palm Pre: $5
Cool. I might as well hold on to it.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I've tried three times today to order an iphone 4S on the EPRP ordering website and each time when I click place order I get an error message saying: We are unable to process your request at this time due to technical difficulties.

Is their system just overwhelmed? I don't want to order in store because obviously I want the EPRP plan.

Neena
May 11, 2007

No male will ever handle my massive CoX!
Wait, I meant boobs! Wait!
FISTS, Shit!

Matlock posted:

Tried activating the Photon on my plan on Sprint.com and it doesn't give an option to stay with SERO Premium + $10 4G Fee.

Just came here to ask about this, my boyfriend bought an Evo off his friend and tried to go online to activate it and got the same thing (he's also on $40 SERO). Do you have to call first and get them to add the $10 premium data fee? He might as well go ahead and activate it on the phone with them at that point, I guess.

Now half expecting this to happen when my 4S gets here, too.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Neena posted:

Just came here to ask about this, my boyfriend bought an Evo off his friend and tried to go online to activate it and got the same thing (he's also on $40 SERO). Do you have to call first and get them to add the $10 premium data fee? He might as well go ahead and activate it on the phone with them at that point, I guess.

Now half expecting this to happen when my 4S gets here, too.

Yep, you have to call first. I apparently need to get into full Sprint service to fully activate my phone; the signal up the hill from where I live is a good Verizon roaming area and every time I try calling out it tells me my phone number is invalid.

Ah well, maybe tomorrow.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

nickutz posted:

I've tried three times today to order an iphone 4S on the EPRP ordering website and each time when I click place order I get an error message saying: We are unable to process your request at this time due to technical difficulties.

Is their system just overwhelmed? I don't want to order in store because obviously I want the EPRP plan.
I just ordered one on a new line through EPRP for my girlfriend 5 minutes ago.

BigSexyWitGlasses
Nov 1, 2009

So my wife and I are living in different states at the moment due to my job (gently caress you economy) Could she add a line to her account and I could go pick up the phone at the closest store to me?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Hmm so I thought the activation fee is $36, but I am checking my account now and I see an $18 item on the statement "Device Upgrade Fee-1 Unit"

They will probably waive it if I call or contact support chat later. Just never seen it listed like that before. The total is still less than what my friends are paying on other carriers.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone done the Sprint+GV integration on an iPhone yet? I just set it up, hoping it's as seamless as I'm imagining.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Well, I've seen some initial reports regarding the iPhone, and they are not good. Data speeds are considerably slower than on other phones - even in the exact same area (ie a 3D will perform better than the iPhone when they are sitting side by side.) In addition, a three-way competition shows Sprint as being the slowest by far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd7taHnHzcg&noredirect=1 Obviously, this is not a scientific test, and the guy mentions this.

I'm hoping this is a fluke and Sprint is having bad luck with network congestion, otherwise, they're going to lose all of their new subscribers and this company is just going to tank... Has anyone got their iPhone yet to confirm or deny the lack of speed compared to their old phone?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 15, 2011

Blackaxis
Nov 23, 2002
Irate Southerner

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm hoping this is a fluke and Sprint is having bad luck with network congestion, otherwise, they're going to lose all of their new subscribers and this company is just going to tank... Has anyone got their iPhone yet to confirm or deny the lack of speed compared to their old phone?

I get comparable speeds. (I don't have my old phone activated so I can't do a apples to apples delta or anything since it's faster in the mornings)

1.25Mbps/0.71Mbps up/down

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, I've seen some initial reports regarding the iPhone, and they are not good. Data speeds are considerably slower than on other phones - even in the exact same area (ie a 3D will perform better than the iPhone when they are sitting side by side.) In addition, a three-way competition shows Sprint as being the slowest by far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd7taHnHzcg&noredirect=1 Obviously, this is not a scientific test, and the guy mentions this.

Not coming from Sprint previously, but compared to friends with Sprint phones, I'm seeing significantly slower speeds - my tests show .2/.1 d/u compared to 1.2/.8ish.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

berzerkmonkey posted:

Sprint sucks when it comes to data speeds. If it wasn't for unlimited data and my 27% discount I would of jumped ship along time ago.

So far I have noticed any real difference. Streaming seems to have less drops on my iPhone is all I noticed. If the iPhone is slower hope there is some fix that comes out like it did for the EVO when Sprint hosed up the data on those phones.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It's so cute that Sprint thinks they're going to accomplish anything to prevent iPhone fraud.

You want to know what happens when you put up quantity restrictions?

Sketchy south asian and eastern european dudes standing outside your store offering people 50 dollars to go inside and buy an iPhone.

These people are a large part of what made me hate working  Retail and eventually leaving the company.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toebone posted:

No dice, they put a charged battery in and as soon as they saw the Cyanogenmod bootscreen come up they said there was nothing they could do with it.

Bullshit go to a different tech center. Go to an indirect tech center for this one maybe.

Matlock posted:

Employee care gets moved to sprint sales support on anticipated big congestion days, I've had them before when i call my stores sales support (talk about random stuff while waiting for blackberrys to reboot).

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's so cute that Sprint thinks they're going to accomplish anything to prevent iPhone fraud.

You want to know what happens when you put up quantity restrictions?

Sketchy south asian and eastern european dudes standing outside your store offering people 50 dollars to go inside and buy an iPhone.

These people are a large part of what made me hate working  Retail and eventually leaving the company.

That actually one of the big fraud warnings that they warn about, so at the least they are aware.

Casao posted:

Not coming from Sprint previously, but compared to friends with Sprint phones, I'm seeing significantly slower speeds - my tests show .2/.1 d/u compared to 1.2/.8ish.

Sprint 3G is really slow, all there is too it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 15, 2011

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Sprint 3g is really awesome in Kansas City. I was amazed at the difference.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

TLG James posted:

Sprint 3g is really awesome in Kansas City. I was amazed at the difference.

Coming from T-Mobile in a "4G" area, CDMA 3G sucks everywhere. I miss my 3+Mbps.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint 3G is really slow, all there is too it.

There's "really slow" and "unusably slow". This is falling into the latter. I've seen faster on non-4g sprint phones, I don't know why this is so slow. We'll see how things fair over the next few days.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Maybe it's a bug and the iPhone is doing 1x data only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Maybe it's a bug and the iPhone is doing 1x data only?

Yeah, I'm hoping to hear something by Tuesday. Probably just bad cells, I haven't tested with phones next to each other yet.