Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Darkblade posted:

How much beef stock? After 15 minutes should it be like gravy or a little watery?

For let's say two pounds of beef, I'd add a whole shallot, a pound of button mushrooms, half a stick of butter, a cup of beef stock, and 3/4 cup of sour cream.

It should be a little watery. Remember that the sour cream is going to thicken the sauce considerably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taremva
Mar 5, 2009
Me and a coworker are locked in a discussion regarding light products.

Will drinking cola light as opposed to regular cola have an similar effect on weight gain? I'd appriciate if anyone is able to elaborate if neccesary.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

taremva posted:

Me and a coworker are locked in a discussion regarding light products.

Will drinking cola light as opposed to regular cola have an similar effect on weight gain? I'd appriciate if anyone is able to elaborate if neccesary.

From my understanding while diet/light cola does have less calories- that's a double sided sword. Typically people will drink more soda as it's not as satisfying due to that.

If you're to straight up replace it on a 1:1 basis, I believe you will lose weight- assuming the difference in calories you're taking in drops below the amount you're burning. Otherwise you'll just be gaining LESS weight.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Diet soda has (virtually) no calories because it does not contain sugar. Instead, they contain artificial sweeteners such as aspartame and sucarlose that are 200-500 times sweeter than sugar, so the quantity of sweetner needed to produce a sweet taste is so small that its caloric contribution is negligible. The rest of the soda consists of some artificial flavor elements, dyes, and water. You can drink as much diet soda as you want and never gain a pound, but that doesn't mean that it's healthy to do so.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

CureMinorWounds posted:

I have a really good french onion soup recipe that I would like to try, however I'm working very unfortunate hours this week. Would it be safe to put the sliced onions in the crock pot and let it go from probably 8am to 8pm on low? Or possibly from 1pm to 9pm? Or am I going to burn my house down?

My bf would be available to stir it occasionally if that would make any difference at all.

OK, you want to cook onions on low, but I'm not sure this is quite what's meant. XD Just try it some time when you've got more time, or alternately, make white onion soup.

Only fat people drink diet soda.

dino. fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 13, 2011

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Wandering Knitter posted:

Oh yeah, it's the cheap frozen Costco salmon. :downs: Sometimes the smell just lingers for a few hours, sometimes it'll be stuck in my kitchen for days.

So far I've tried cooking it in the oven and grilling it. Both times lead to the death stink cloud. I was hoping if there was any way to lesson the blow.
Cooking them with a ton of lemon juice will help a little, but you're pretty much out of luck. It's not bad salmon in terms of nutrition, it just smells like hell.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I must've missed the memo but a metric ton of threads in GWS got closed for some reason.. And I'm trying to find the thread on making chicken stock. Forums search keeps pointing me to the finance threads, would anybody happen to have a link?

Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The memo is here. As to making stock, it's pretty easy. I made some and documented it in my ICSA entry. Any specific questions?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

I thought I didn't like Korean food, but I think I've just always had lovely renditions. There's a relatively new restaurant in town Seoul Kitchen (which annoys the poo poo out of me whenever it gets mentioned because we have basically no soul food places here), they make their own kim chee, they're really nice, their bi bim bap was tasty and they gave me a free appetizer of bean dae deok.

I'm excited to explore the rest of the menu :3:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Other things to try at a legit Korean place:

Bokkeum bap, it's like bibimbap but cooked in a stone or cast iron bowl so the rice gets a little crispy

Soon tofu is boiling tofu soup, awesome stuff

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

taremva posted:

If you change nothing else in the diet but the type of cola you drink, you will have several hundred fewer calories per day in your diet. You will lose weight or not gain it at the same rate as before. That's what dino's link was talking about - you may be taking in a lot more calories than you burn. Eating entire bags of sugar-frosted lard is the problem, not whether you add a couple sodas on top of that.

If you have diabetes and are sensitive to sugar intake, diet sodas are pretty nifty.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At my first job I drank a dozen cokes a day at least, and gained 30 lbs over the course of a few months.

One day I was running to my friend's car to go get lunch, and all of a sudden manboobs that I didn't know were there before started whipping up and down like I was in the opening of Baywatch. I had to grab my own boobs while running to keep it from hurting.

Switched to diet coke, lost 20 lbs in one month.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 14, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Other things to try at a legit Korean place:

Bokkeum bap, it's like bibimbap but cooked in a stone or cast iron bowl so the rice gets a little crispy

Soon tofu is boiling tofu soup, awesome stuff

The stone pot stuff is dolsot bibimbap, bokkeumbap is fried rice. I'm also a fan of galbitang (pork rib soup), maeuntang (pepper fish soup), jaeokdopbap (spicy pork with rice), and the best banchan is ojingochae bokkeum (dried squid in pepper sauce). Those are all phonetic because my Korean spelling is still atrocious but they're close enough.

Fire chicken is also awesome if you can find it, I don't remember the Korean name. You don't really need to know it here, the restaurants usually have flames painted all over and a big cartoon chicken.

And the barbecue of course. Samgeopsal is amazing.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

Steve Yun posted:

At my first job I drank a dozen cokes a day at least, and gained 30 lbs over the course of a few months.

One day I was running to my friend's car to go get lunch, and all of a sudden manboobs that I didn't know were there before started whipping up and down like I was in the opening of Baywatch. I had to grab my own boobs while running to keep it from hurting.

Switched to diet coke, lost 20 lbs in one month.

That's disgusting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

The stone pot stuff is dolsot bibimbap, bokkeumbap is fried rice.
Oops yeah, you're right, I got them mixed up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Oops yeah, you're right, I got them mixed up

'scool, I live in Korea so it's easy for me. I'm jealous of you people who can enjoy Korean food as a novelty instead of "ugh, fish boiled to hell in gochujang again".

Your short "what the hell is this" guide! Bap = rice, myeon = noodle, tang = soup, jjigae = stew, juk = rice porridge. Most Korean food has one of those in the name so you'll have a basic idea of what you're getting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

As a thin person who only drinks diet soda (regular soda makes me thirstier and I can't stand the taste) I have to object to your completely incorrect comment.

Also, if you actually read the link, it shows that when you start drinking more than one can of soda each day, the risk of obesity starts being a hell of a lot higher if you're drinking regular soda.

What the others have said about diet soda is correct: if you replace your regular soda with 100-odd calories with diet, you will lose weight. It won't necessarily be healthy, but you'll be taking in fewer calories.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kenning posted:

The memo is here. As to making stock, it's pretty easy. I made some and documented it in my ICSA entry. Any specific questions?
Eh, mostly I was just hoping to find that thread again and read through it and see what people's ideas and stuff were. I've never made stock before but have a chicken carcass I thought would probably be good to use up and make a soup out of.

I saved the "drippings" from when I baked it in the first place, put them into a jar and into the freezer, maybe I don't even really need to boil the carcass down. Never tried it before, and I like to lurk in a thread before trying a new cooking technique.

HookShot posted:

Also, if you actually read the link, it shows that when you start drinking more than one can of soda each day, the risk of obesity starts being a hell of a lot higher if you're drinking regular soda.

What the others have said about diet soda is correct: if you replace your regular soda with 100-odd calories with diet, you will lose weight. It won't necessarily be healthy, but you'll be taking in fewer calories.
HFCS also causes a reaction that makes people hungry even if they aren't really, which leads to more snacking and eating larger portions. I have personally found it pretty easy to lose weight when I entirely cut soda from my diet except for special occasions.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009
I'm new to cooking and a dumb babby :(. I am interested in learning how to make soup. How do I make stock from bones? Any good, easy recipes? Winter's coming and there's nothing like a bowl of hot soup on a cold day.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
Drinking a sugar soda causes an insulin spike, which causes your body to store energy (read: FAT) in your fat cells. It is empty calories. Cutting refined carbs out in any form is a step towards weight loss.

As for the "diet soda drinkers are more likely to be fat" article: correlation is not causation. Someone who drinks a ton of soda, diet or not, is more likely to eat other junky, not-real foods.

Basically, diet soda is better than sugar soda, but the rest of your diet is important too.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Ok, a very basic lesson on stock. I'll talk about chicken stock because it's the easiest and most useful stock you can make.

Stock is not soup. Stock is a lightly flavored, unseasoned broth made from bones. Bones contain collagen, a protein that when heated turns into gelatin. This gelatin lends "body" to whatever you add it to.

How to make chicken stock

What you'll need:

1. Mirepoix
Mirepoix is a combination of onions, carrots, and celery and is used in almost every single classic French dish in some way. The ratio is usually 50% onion, 25% carrot and 25% celery. This forms the base of flavor for your stock.

2. Bones
I like to use a whole carcass, including feet and neck (these contain the most collagen) and break it up with a cleaver into smaller pieces. The bones should be raw, although it's acceptable to broil them for a few minutes to remove some of the fat before they go into the water.

3. Aromatics & other
Bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, black peppercorns and parsley stems are traditional. Wrap them in cheesecloth (not strictly necessary) and let them float around in the stock. This is called a sachet.

Procedure:

Sweat your mirepoix. Low heat, oil, stir often. The carrots will take the longest so when they're tender, you can move on.

Put your bones in with the sachet and fill with water to just cover everything.

Cook on medium high heat until it begins to simmer, then reduce it to medium low heat. It should never boil. That can dissolve undesirables into the stock and make it cloudy.

Chicken stock should cook for about 4 or 5 hours. As it simmers lightly, a layer of fat will form on the surface with a gray scum on it. With a ladle, you can gently remove the fat and scum as it accumulates. Try to do this as often as possible, but once every half hour is fine.

When it's done, strain it through as fine a mesh as you can. That's it! Get yourself some quart containers from the dollar store and freeze whatever you dont need. Stock lasts forever in the freezer. Good luck!

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Hopefully I didn't just miss a thread somewhere, but are there any primers or anything for someone that wants to learn more about cheeses? I really enjoy cheese but I never get the opportunity to try new varieties, and the local supermarkets here don't carrier anything nicer than Babybel (and my family already thinks those are "fancy" because they aren't Kraft singles). I'm hoping there is some place to learn more about cheeses so I can order a sampler or something, right now I now pathetically little and I'd like to get a feel for the different types and learn what foods / wines to pair them with, etc. So far all I know is that I really like Gouda and Dutch Edam.

Help me become and insufferably snooty cheese connoisseur!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

There used to be a cheese thread.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Hopefully I didn't just miss a thread somewhere, but are there any primers or anything for someone that wants to learn more about cheeses? I really enjoy cheese but I never get the opportunity to try new varieties, and the local supermarkets here don't carrier anything nicer than Babybel (and my family already thinks those are "fancy" because they aren't Kraft singles). I'm hoping there is some place to learn more about cheeses so I can order a sampler or something, right now I now pathetically little and I'd like to get a feel for the different types and learn what foods / wines to pair them with, etc. So far all I know is that I really like Gouda and Dutch Edam.

Help me become and insufferably snooty cheese connoisseur!

The new open cheese thread!

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Making cupcakes, have the following:

AP flour
White sugar
Eggs
Imitation Vanilla
Baking Soda
Baking Powder
Powdered Sugar
Pam Baking Spray
Cupcake Baking Tray
Silicone Cupcake Sleeves

Looking for some inspired cupcake recipes (with detailed instructions, since I can't really bake very well), may have other unstated ingredients.

Also, I plan to make my own frosting, so instructions on this would also be appreciated.

Cupcake update:
Made vanilla cupcakes with homemade butter cream frosting. Waiting for the cupcakes to cool, but there may not be any butter cream frosting left, poo poo this is good.

Emo Rodeo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 15, 2011

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
This recipe for Irish car bomb cupcakes is delicious, and its a funny concept on top of that. Guinness chocolate cupcakes with a whisky ganache center and Bailey's frosting.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

HookShot posted:

As a thin person who only drinks diet soda (regular soda makes me thirstier and I can't stand the taste) I have to object to your completely incorrect comment.

I drink more diet coke than any living human and besides the fact that I have to get my teeth bleached every so often and it may be calcifying my brain it is basically the greatest beverage on earth.

People tend to overlook booze as a reason they're fat. If you drink diet soda but consume a lot of beer it's basically a wash.

Question: I have two heritage, 1.5' thick porkchops. One of them I'm doing as a panfry, for the second...I'd like something a bit more interesting. Stuffing is the easy answer but I don't find that very interesting. I have a big hunk of foie and a lobster tail that I kinda want to use though.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

yes posted:

Great and helpful post, thanks!

I baked a chicken the other day (with lemon slices pepper sea salt and rosemary stuck under the skin, onion, carrots, potatoes, and a little beer,) poured the drippings after baking for a little under two hours or so, into a jar and stuck them into the freezer. I've also got the carcass of the chicken with a good amount of dark meat and whatnot attached to it. Am I entirely wrong-headed in thinking that I could turn this into a soup in some way or another?

edit: I'm a solid hand with slow cooking and baking stuff but really have never made a soup on purpose.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 15, 2011

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Follow my stock recipe but keep the carcass whole so you can pull it out easily. I wouldn't cook it longer than 3 hours though. Use salt this time. Take the drippings out of the freezer and remove the white part (fat) and pour what's left into the pot. Cook noodles into it at the end if you want.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Don't forget to pick all the good meat off the carcass and re-add it at the end. It's the best thing about a good chicken noodle soup.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

yes posted:

2. Bones
I like to use a whole carcass, including feet and neck (these contain the most collagen) and break it up with a cleaver into smaller pieces. The bones should be raw, although it's acceptable to broil them for a few minutes to remove some of the fat before they go into the water.

Nah, I always roast my bones for a while until they get nice and roasty toasty browned before making stock. Adds some nice flavor, and it's a step I've seen recommended here many times. Also when I am using a carcass leftover from a whole chicken I will do the same, just pop the carcass in the oven for a while till it starts to brown a bit.

Raw bones are fine but they don't have to be raw.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I am a fresh college graduate and have been trying to get in better shape. Both things mean I am ready to evolve from drive-thrus and pizza rolls. I'm still pretty green in the kitchen but I've gotten to where I can at least make some decent pasta and chicken dishes that my family seems to enjoy, (and not just in that fake 'someone we like made this' sort of way.)

So I know this is a novice-as-hell question, but what the hell do I do with this pesto?

I know pesto can do well as both a marinade for chicken and as a stand-in for pasta sauce. If I'm using it as a marinade, how much do I use per how much chicken and how long do I let it sit? What would be some good side dishes to go with oven-roasted pesto chicken?

If I go the pasta route, again how much pasta will I get out of a 7.5 oz jar of pesto? Should I add anything else? I presume chicken again would be a good meat to use either as a main dish with the pasta complimenting or chopped up and put in the pasta itself, but how about an onion and some garlic? Should I cut the pesto at all or would it be good to use as is?

Sorry, I am certain these are stupid obvious newbie questions, but I am only just now learning how to cook and discovering I enjoy it so I wanted to try something different. I've had pesto in a bunch of things but I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right when I started actually using it myself :saddowns:

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Randomity posted:

Nah, I always roast my bones for a while until they get nice and roasty toasty browned before making stock. Adds some nice flavor, and it's a step I've seen recommended here many times. Also when I am using a carcass leftover from a whole chicken I will do the same, just pop the carcass in the oven for a while till it starts to brown a bit.

Raw bones are fine but they don't have to be raw.

There's a difference between brown stock and white stock. Brown stock is made as you described, and white stock is made as I described. I find that white stock has less flavor but more body, since all collagen transformation takes place inside your stock instead of the oven. Both types have their uses.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.
I have two long pieces of linguica given as a present. It's an amazing sausage, and I usually eat it just plain with whatever, the spices and saltiness usually slips into everything in a good way.

Does anyone have any good suggestions of things that just are amazing with it?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Darkblade posted:

Hey guys do you know of a good beef stroganoff sauce recipe? All the stuff I see wants cream of this or that and I wont make that mistake again.
A few days late to the party, but I used this recipe at Epicurious with great success when I first made stroganoff. I used less expensive meat (trimmed top sirloin, I think) and different mushrooms, and skipped the dill. It's really good with wild mushrooms.

I'd draw specific attention to the step where you're browning the meat. It's really important that you get good colour on the outside of the meat pieces without cooking the inside. I found it helpful to chill the cut pieces of meat for a bit before putting them into the pan.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

So I'm thinking about making some sugar cookies, following this recipe:

quote:

3 cups (390 grams) all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup (200 grams) granulated white sugar

2 large eggs

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

However, I'm out of sugar right now, so would it be okay to substitute the same amount of brown sugar?

Also, is this a good simple recipe or should I find a better one?

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

So I'm thinking about making some sugar cookies, following this recipe:

However, I'm out of sugar right now, so would it be okay to substitute the same amount of brown sugar?

Also, is this a good simple recipe or should I find a better one?

You can sub it 1:1. The end result will be denser, but more moist. Try it!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

yes posted:

They'll also brown up a lot more. I love brown sugar cookies!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

yes posted:

There's a difference between brown stock and white stock. Brown stock is made as you described, and white stock is made as I described. I find that white stock has less flavor but more body, since all collagen transformation takes place inside your stock instead of the oven. Both types have their uses.

There is no necessary gelatin loss in a brown stock as long as you keep the liquid that runs off the carcass/bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

yes posted:

Exactly what I was hoping, thank you.