Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Olphij posted:

Just out of curiosity did it arrive via private shipping (UPS, FedEX, etc.) or USPS? I checked the tracking information on Germany's postal website and it said the package was in the USA already.

Check with your local post office, you might have to pay a customs fee in which ase you will need to go pick it up. Can't guarantee that's the issue, but it's a possibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Pancakes McGee posted:

I'm having a period from hell right now and I am REALLY close to buying a cup just because of this thread. I also have hell cramps.

Well, if you order one now, you'll have it before your next period. Imagine if your period stopped being hell and instead became just a thing.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011

slinkimalinki posted:

Well, if you order one now, you'll have it before your next period. Imagine if your period stopped being hell and instead became just a thing.

Well, I have massive PMDD problems as well, but yes if this helps I would love it.

Just picked up some instead softcups - what's the consensus on those again? I'm not going to try them tonight - I have sensory issues with pads and I'm afraid of it leaking.

edit: Nevermind, it's two in the loving morning and tampons are causing worse cramps. I'm trying a instead soft cup tonight - and I hate that I have to, but also wearing a pad in case I did it wrong. (I think I may have) Cramps have already lessened a little bit. Are some cramps still normal?

Still hate pads. I feel like I'm wearing a diaper here!

All I have is the softcups right now. I really hope this works. I think I plan on ordering a DivaCup or something eventually. But what's so bad about these? Can I sleep in any position?

Lezzie Borden fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 8, 2011

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Never tried them, but consensus seems to be that they're nowhere near as good as a real cup.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011

I think I just want a Divacup. They seem to be the easiest for beginningers and everything?

Jesus christ these things are messy, but then again I'm using the softcups. When I get the Divacup (ORDERED) is all it is dumping it out, and putting it back in? If I'm home, should I wash it in the sink? The sink I have is not friendly to that sort of thing. I won't be able to do it in the shower every time especially on heavy days...

There's only been leakage when I pee with the soft cups - is that normal? what should I do? It's rather messy and dumb. Are the reusable ones different this way?

Lezzie Borden fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 9, 2011

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Olphij posted:

Just out of curiosity did it arrive via private shipping (UPS, FedEX, etc.) or USPS? I checked the tracking information on Germany's postal website and it said the package was in the USA already.

USPS.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pancakes McGee posted:

I think I just want a Divacup. They seem to be the easiest for beginningers and everything?

Jesus christ these things are messy, but then again I'm using the softcups. When I get the Divacup (ORDERED) is all it is dumping it out, and putting it back in? If I'm home, should I wash it in the sink? The sink I have is not friendly to that sort of thing. I won't be able to do it in the shower every time especially on heavy days...

There's only been leakage when I pee with the soft cups - is that normal? what should I do? It's rather messy and dumb. Are the reusable ones different this way?

If it's possible, you always want to wash it out in between taking it out and reinserting. My usual method is pull it out, dump it, crinkle my nose at it, pitch it in the sink, wash, eyeball it, fold, stuff it back in. Takes me just a couple minutes extra than a normal bathroom break. Once you get it down it's really, really easy.

If I'm out in a bathroom stall without a connected sink, I wipe it off with toilet paper and make sure the holes are clear but it gets washed as soon as possible again.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Pancakes McGee posted:

Well, I have massive PMDD problems as well, but yes if this helps I would love it.

Just picked up some instead softcups - what's the consensus on those again? I'm not going to try them tonight - I have sensory issues with pads and I'm afraid of it leaking.

edit: Nevermind, it's two in the loving morning and tampons are causing worse cramps. I'm trying a instead soft cup tonight - and I hate that I have to, but also wearing a pad in case I did it wrong. (I think I may have) Cramps have already lessened a little bit. Are some cramps still normal?

Still hate pads. I feel like I'm wearing a diaper here!

All I have is the softcups right now. I really hope this works. I think I plan on ordering a DivaCup or something eventually. But what's so bad about these? Can I sleep in any position?

For me, trying to insert an Instead cup felt like I was trying to shove a kiddie pool up my business. Also I guess I never did get it to sit right because it leaked unmercifully, and taking it out was a bloody nightmare.

Good on you for ordering a Diva--I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008
Does MeLuna ship to the the address listed on your PayPal account or the one you input when making the order on their website? Cause on the PayPal website it's listing ship to: [PayPal address]

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

humanROBOT posted:

Does MeLuna ship to the the address listed on your PayPal account or the one you input when making the order on their website? Cause on the PayPal website it's listing ship to: [PayPal address]

Mine shipped to the shipping address I put on my order, not the PayPal one.

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008

meiram posted:

Mine shipped to the shipping address I put on my order, not the PayPal one.

Woah, that was quick -- thanks! Awesome, just placed my order :3

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If it's possible, you always want to wash it out in between taking it out and reinserting. My usual method is pull it out, dump it, crinkle my nose at it, pitch it in the sink, wash, eyeball it, fold, stuff it back in. Takes me just a couple minutes extra than a normal bathroom break. Once you get it down it's really, really easy.

If I'm out in a bathroom stall without a connected sink, I wipe it off with toilet paper and make sure the holes are clear but it gets washed as soon as possible again.

On the other hand, I'm a slob. I wash it once a day (when I'm in the shower) but otherwise I just give it a wipedown with toilet paper. Pretty sure I've read that they only need to be washed once a day?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I think that's what they say. I'm extra cautious. I wash mine twice a day, and I try to make one or both of those washes with a mild soap like Diva Wash or whatever.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
I ordered an IrisCup (went with what was easiest to get in NZ) after reading this thread.

But now I have to bitch - It's the day before my wedding and the universe hates me. Seriously, could it not wait two days?

Now I'm hoping I have magic automatic success skills with this cup because I'm supposed to be having a brazilian today and wearing nice ivory lingerie tomorrow.

And my fiance is saying a lot of 'gently caress you's to the universe right about now.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Well, the cup should give you a good chance of doing that.
Since it seems to be a long stemmed one, you may as well go ahead and turn it inside out so it doesn't poke you in the labia while you're saying your vows.

slinkimalinki fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 13, 2011

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I've never understood turning them inside out. Then there's nothing to grab on to the outside, wouldn't that be more of a pain in the rear end to get in place and everything else? Seems a bit advanced.

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Bewildrbeast posted:

I've never understood turning them inside out. Then there's nothing to grab on to the outside, wouldn't that be more of a pain in the rear end to get in place and everything else? Seems a bit advanced.

Not really, most people just trim the stem off anyway. You grab the base of the cup and pull and when you can reach the middle or so you squeeze it to break the seal and then bring it the rest of the way off. It's no harder to insert either.

If you absolutely have to have the stem or whatever to be able to reach it, then you probably don't need to flip it anyway. However, many of us have shallower vaginas and need a little less length, so we flip them.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

evelynevvie posted:

Not really, most people just trim the stem off anyway. You grab the base of the cup and pull and when you can reach the middle or so you squeeze it to break the seal and then bring it the rest of the way off. It's no harder to insert either.

If you absolutely have to have the stem or whatever to be able to reach it, then you probably don't need to flip it anyway. However, many of us have shallower vaginas and need a little less length, so we flip them.

I just yank the drat thing out anyway, from the bottom. I keep my nails long anyway, so I just grab it, pinch the bottom and yank. It's weird the first couple of times but the vacuum isn't that strong. v:shobon:v

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
I don't think you'd be holding the stem when you insert it anyway.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
Yeah. If you're using the stem for insertion, you might need to learn a better method :)

I FINALLY got my Fleurcup in the mail. That took forever! I start in ~3-ish days, so I haven't done a dry run or anything yet but this fucker is huge. I can't wait to sleep longer than 2 hours at night! :woop:

Back to the inside out conversation- you have to realize that not all cervices (I actually had to look up the plural of cervix!) are created equal. A low cervix can render a cup absolutely useless if the seal is forming above the cervix. Since these cups are changing the lives of ladies with messy, leaky periods- those of us with ultra-low cervices just have to alter the cup so it can still work for us. It's the difference between a $30 hunk of silicone trash and the answer to all our dreams!

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Hey thread, I got a Mooncup! And since my period jumped me unexpectedly this morning(worst morning at work ever, I thought I was gonna puke the cramps were so bad D: ) I ran home at lunchtime to try it out! It's surprisingly comfortable, once I trimmed the stem right down I can't feel it at all. Putting it in is easy enough but taking it out again is a lot trickier... I can't seem to just 'pop' the seal as people seem to be saying so I kinda just have to pull on it so there's a lot of pulling and uncomfortable vacuum-feeling going on. Am I doing something wrong?

jacido
Oct 10, 2008

Too much Breaking Bad, not enough Working Out.
I've always wondered about these things.
I had TSS, so I'm kind of wishy washy on using tampons (I use only organic ones - so expensive).
And I reaaaallly hate pads. I get some nice bikini rash going on because my period underwear are so elastic-y. Plus my scrub pants have no problem relishing in my underwear lines.... :colbert:

I'm ordering one today.

I am convinced!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ThreeFish posted:

Yeah. If you're using the stem for insertion, you might need to learn a better method :)

I FINALLY got my Fleurcup in the mail. That took forever! I start in ~3-ish days, so I haven't done a dry run or anything yet but this fucker is huge. I can't wait to sleep longer than 2 hours at night! :woop:

Back to the inside out conversation- you have to realize that not all cervices (I actually had to look up the plural of cervix!) are created equal. A low cervix can render a cup absolutely useless if the seal is forming above the cervix. Since these cups are changing the lives of ladies with messy, leaky periods- those of us with ultra-low cervices just have to alter the cup so it can still work for us. It's the difference between a $30 hunk of silicone trash and the answer to all our dreams!

How in the gently caress did you check out with Fleurcup? I'm having the worst issue with the french paypal stuff.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

floofyscorp posted:

Hey thread, I got a Mooncup! And since my period jumped me unexpectedly this morning(worst morning at work ever, I thought I was gonna puke the cramps were so bad D: ) I ran home at lunchtime to try it out! It's surprisingly comfortable, once I trimmed the stem right down I can't feel it at all. Putting it in is easy enough but taking it out again is a lot trickier... I can't seem to just 'pop' the seal as people seem to be saying so I kinda just have to pull on it so there's a lot of pulling and uncomfortable vacuum-feeling going on. Am I doing something wrong?

A lot of women have trouble with removal at first, it's just a matter of getting used to it.

For me there is a small degree of pushing and pulling initially to get the cup down far enough that I can reach more than just the bottom. Once it's down far enough that you can reach a finger in past the rim of the cup, you should be able to break the seal. Just push that rim in toward the center to make room for air to get in. I've found that just putting my finger in past the rim isn't quite enough; it's kind of squishy in there!

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

How in the gently caress did you check out with Fleurcup? I'm having the worst issue with the french paypal stuff.

I honestly don't even remember checking out, so I just went back to their website and fake ordered one. Yup. That sure is French!

I'm thinking I must have translated it. I use Chrome and there's a little translate button at the top every time I try to "fake" check out. I'm not sure if other browsers have that or not.

Look at me being incredibly unhelpful!

And floofy- that uncomfortable vacuum stuff lessens over time. Sometimes I barely squeeze mine at all anymore and just yank. It was pretty bad at first, but now I barely notice it. I'll break the seal if I'm sure it isn't overly full, but if it's full I'd rather not cause overflow messes.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
when I ordered the MeLuna the paypal was in German. I just guessed and clicked some buttons and was charged the right amount. Me. Also unhelpful.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I just copy/pasted everything that looked important into Google Translate.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009
My IrisCup is amazing. I got the knack of it right away using the 7-fold and prodding around it to make sure it seemed circular and it worked prefectly. This little plastic cup saved me from feeling crappy on my wedding day. I didn't even notice it most of the time and somehow it's fixed my usually burning painful cramps (no cuddling a hot water bottle to my tummy this month!)

The only trouble I had was the first night using it - I think maybe I was tired and didn't check it properly when inserting it or the little holes clogged up. But that was nothing major, I'd worn a pad just in case.

I'm going to recommend these to all the ladies I know who aren't completely squeamish.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Avalinka posted:

This little plastic cup saved me from feeling crappy on my wedding day.

I think this should go in the thread title :3:

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

drat straight. ^^^

This be some bullshit: my brand new size 2 Divacup just arrived today (along with my period--1 week early. It knows, man!!!) And the Diva pin is missing! I was looking forward to sticking it in my cubicle wall :(

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

I was excited about the diva pin, too. I used to have it pinned on my knitting bag when I went to my knitting group at Panera Bread. I thought it was a good idea. A lot of hip, young people knit these days, right? I though it would spark some conversation and I'd be able to help some gals out without just randomly bringing up menstruation in regular conversation.

It really didn't go as planned.

Most people thought I was advertising I was a diva or princess-type. I really don't know why. I wear zero makeup and my fingernails are chewed down to tiny nubs. I don't exude "I'm a pretty princess!" at all. Not that there's anything wrong with that- just saying it isn't me and it's really obvious. When I'd tell them what it really meant, there was always shock and dismay that such a thing existed. And utter disgust that someone they knew not only used one, but liked it enough to want to spread the word.

I hope you are surrounded with better people :(

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

ThreeFish posted:

I was excited about the diva pin, too. I used to have it pinned on my knitting bag when I went to my knitting group at Panera Bread. I thought it was a good idea. A lot of hip, young people knit these days, right? I though it would spark some conversation and I'd be able to help some gals out without just randomly bringing up menstruation in regular conversation.

Most people thought I was advertising I was a diva or princess-type. I really don't know why. I wear zero makeup and my fingernails are chewed down to tiny nubs. I don't exude "I'm a pretty princess!" at all. Not that there's anything wrong with that- just saying it isn't me and it's really obvious. When I'd tell them what it really meant, there was always shock and dismay that such a thing existed. And utter disgust that someone they knew not only used one, but liked it enough to want to spread the word.

Aw, that sucks. :( Your knitting group should come to their senses. I actually brought cups up to some friends the other day; I forget how it came up since we were pregaming for a party. IUDs were involved since that led to an impromptu anatomy lesson for one of them. Anyway, the ones I was talking to were not particularly enthused, but another friend (their roommate) heard us and popped into the room to back me up. Turns out she uses a Diva Cup, which is great. I have to say, she's the friend I would have voted "most likely to also use a cup."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

luscious posted:

when I ordered the MeLuna the paypal was in German. I just guessed and clicked some buttons and was charged the right amount. Me. Also unhelpful.

There's something in the URL I changed. Can't remember what, but I just changed the language in the address and it Englished up quite nicely.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Okay, it's game time. Period is go. Successful insertion has been achieved. No error messages yet, awaiting results of spot check on pad in 60 minutes. Feeling like an astronaut: affirmative.

For those struggling with dry runs, it's definitely easier to insert when on your period. This is the first cycle I've been able to try out my Diva on, so I don't expect everything to go 100%, but so far it doesn't hurt, I think I got a seal although it's hard to tell. Shape still seems a little squished, but that might just be the dimensions of my insides, I dunno. Stem is bugging me a little but I'm scared to trim it because I'm not confident about my ability to grab it well enough without one. I know it's not just going to disappear up there but I'm still a little worried. It definitely sits high even on my period. Only time and practice will tell, I guess.

One question: can you use Vaseline as lube on a Diva? I know it's bad for latex but I can't find anything about silicone.

E: okay, I think I have this thing working now. No leaks, no discomfort beyond a little poking from the stem, and I'm getting the hang of insertion finally. Removal is difficult. I have to stand up. But no spillage! Remarkable. I think my diaper days are finally behind me.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 16, 2011

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
Just received the DivaCup in the mail today. Looks decent. My period just ended two days ago, though.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

ThreeFish posted:

Knitters are crazy-pants--find them something Diva-related that they can knit (like this! http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/1898490.html) and I am like 80% sure they will change their minds about it. :) The knitters I know end up with so much useless stuff just because they can knit an accessory for it!

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Croisquessein posted:

Okay, it's game time. Period is go. Successful insertion has been achieved. No error messages yet, awaiting results of spot check on pad in 60 minutes. Feeling like an astronaut: affirmative.

For those struggling with dry runs, it's definitely easier to insert when on your period. This is the first cycle I've been able to try out my Diva on, so I don't expect everything to go 100%, but so far it doesn't hurt, I think I got a seal although it's hard to tell. Shape still seems a little squished, but that might just be the dimensions of my insides, I dunno. Stem is bugging me a little but I'm scared to trim it because I'm not confident about my ability to grab it well enough without one. I know it's not just going to disappear up there but I'm still a little worried. It definitely sits high even on my period. Only time and practice will tell, I guess.

One question: can you use Vaseline as lube on a Diva? I know it's bad for latex but I can't find anything about silicone.

E: okay, I think I have this thing working now. No leaks, no discomfort beyond a little poking from the stem, and I'm getting the hang of insertion finally. Removal is difficult. I have to stand up. But no spillage! Remarkable. I think my diaper days are finally behind me.

I had trouble with the dry run too - also, why do they recommend the c-fold on the packet instructions? It's so bulky. Things went way more smoothly when on my period and using the 7-fold. So far I have to squat with my knees up to the sides like a frog for successful insertion - not dignified, but it works!

I was worried about not being able to get at it without the stem too - but after a couple of days I got the knack of doing kegels to get it lower and grabbing it. I've also realised my cervix is to the left - everytime I went to find the cups stem it was on the right, which surprised me.

I'm amazed how quickly I've adjusted to having this, there is no way I'm ever going back to pads.

Quick question - how often do you HAVE to empty it? Compared to some of you I have the lightest periods. Is it fine just to empty morning and night?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Avalinka posted:

Quick question - how often do you HAVE to empty it? Compared to some of you I have the lightest periods. Is it fine just to empty morning and night?

If you have a light period ( :argh: ) I believe it says just to empty every 12 hours. And you know, maybe do a jig that you don't have to empty it every 25 minutes like some of us do.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Avalinka posted:

Yeah, I empty mine probably twice a day. I think I could get away with doing it less often, but I sort of feel weird going more than 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamgerine
Jul 11, 2006

Fatty Fat Failure!
How is your muffin top, fatty?
Hope those cheetos were worth it.
I don't know why I'm suddenly having so much trouble with mine! I'm getting like, massive leakage. I'm considering switching back to tampons at night just so I don't have to get woken up five times with blood everywhere. Am I not inserting it far enough or something? This is driving me mad!

• Locked thread