Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Van Dis posted:

It's cool how Anakin doesn't even appear on the poster beyond supposedly piloting that pod racer. That's a cool thing. In my opinion.

You'd think from the poster that the movie is, "Star Wars Episode One: Darth loving Maul!" Which is of course funny since dipshit George and his designers created a character with enormous potential only to toss him away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Exactly. Where the gently caress is Qui-gon or Padme, two main character who the story revolved around? Instead we have Darth Maul who spoke about three lines of dialogue.

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011
Thing is, Maul should have been the main villain for all three films. He's got mystery and he's badass (all with just 3 lines!), and he's got a cool gimmick (much like Vader's suit) to help him sell well as a toy, but methinks Jorge was scared he'd be more popular than Vader himself. Therefore we had Ray Park's talent squandered, and Count Poodoo and General Grievous as villains for two films.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Polkergeist posted:

Thing is, Maul should have been the main villain for all three films. He's got mystery and he's badass (all with just 3 lines!), and he's got a cool gimmick (much like Vader's suit) to help him sell well as a toy, but methinks Jorge was scared he'd be more popular than Vader himself. Therefore we had Ray Park's talent squandered, and Count Poodoo and General Grievous as villains for two films.

Maul had so many possible directions. Setting him up as the main or secondary villain as you suggested made sense; Anakin defeating him in episode three would have been his "graduation", the final proof that he was the apprentice that Palpatine truly wanted.

Grievous was similarly wasted. The original Clone Wars cartoons and some of the EU paints him as an ungodly fighter with a crazy, overinflated warrior code, sort of a psychotic Klingon. So what do we get for RotS? A coughing doofus who runs and hides until he gets killed in a manner that was almost as unceremonious, anti-climactic, and stupid as Darth Maul.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

VaultAggie posted:

Exactly. Where the gently caress is Qui-gon or Padme, two main character who the story revolved around? Instead we have Darth Maul who spoke about three lines of dialogue.

Darth Maul sells toys.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm genuinely curious what George Lucas' little money hoodlums have projected for this movie's intake. Maybe it'll go through his fat head that the movies are crap when they inevitably under-perform

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A movie poster can not get much more unappealing than that. :stare:

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Probably made by the same guy who produced this abomination:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I'm genuinely curious what George Lucas' little money hoodlums have projected for this movie's intake. Maybe it'll go through his fat head that the movies are crap when they inevitably under-perform

This will never happen. There is a entire new generation of kids to want to see this movie and tons of people who just love 3d so much. People who never got to see the prequels in theater. Movies are going to be a cash show.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Probably made by the same guy who produced this abomination:

While I didn't have that specific cover in mind, a cheap video game cover is exactly what the new Star Wars poster reminded me of. Not any specific one, but the flatness, the random placement of characters, lens flare and smoke just screamed vidja game at me.

And I absolutely love how Darth Maul's death gets foreshadowed by this poster by just replacing his lower half with smoke and a patch of rocky CGI landscape.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This will literally never happen. The saga box set is the fastest selling blu ray box set ever. And it's not because people had to buy the prequels to get the originals, there are 2 separate trilogy box sets as an option.

Kids love the prequels. I know it disappoints people, or they will argue that the originals were popular with kids even without stupid gimmicks, or even steal a line from Plinkett about all the galactic politics, but the kids love the prequels. To a kid the soulless flashing lights is just more interesting.

Even before the prequels, kids tended to gravitate towards Jedi, and disliked Empire. Then shifted as they grew up. I followed that process exactly even. I see the prequels as something for the really young kids to watch (Well maybe not RotS), and the original trilogy for when they're a bit older.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 14, 2011

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
I was reading Palpatine's wookieepedia page and found this:

quote:

Palpatine's attempts to defend himself with Force lightning were futile, as Windu used his lightsaber to reflect it back at the Sith Lord, which he used to reveal his true form.[68][69][70] Palpatine's face began to sag and turn pale, his eyes, finger nails and teeth turned yellow as his voice grew ragged and deep. He pleaded with Anakin, convincing him his grotesque visage was the result of Windu's attack, and that he was too weak to hold off the attacks any longer.

So, according to this article, When the lightning was deflected back on his face, it revealed his "true form", and wasn't just some random face melting that occurs when being hit by force lightning. How was this his true form? Does the dark side make you look all melty and weird over time? How was he covering up this "true form"? The article never goes into this.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

That poster is just... I don't know. Does George hate Liam Neeson? He still has top billing in that movie, but he's nowhere to be seen for some reason.

If that is the poster they go with, you can bet on a whole new generation of kids being dissapointed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Gianthogweed posted:

So, according to this article, When the lightning was deflected back on his face, it revealed his "true form", and wasn't just some random face melting that occurs when being hit by force lightning. How was this his true form? Does the dark side make you look all melty and weird over time? How was he covering up this "true form"? The article never goes into this.

My friend, it is Wookieepedia. Don't think too hard about it.

Anyways, Thrawn Jedi Prince in the Book Thread seems to be having broken image problems. Save the awful art!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

SeanBeansShako posted:

My friend, it is Wookieepedia. Don't think too hard about it.

Anyways, Thrawn Jedi Prince in the Book Thread seems to be having broken image problems. Save the awful art!

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm sure I have the art saved somewhere, it's just quite a bit of work to go through every post and fix the images in each post. I'm sure I'll get to it at some point, but the thread seems to be dead at this point.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm sure I have the art saved somewhere, it's just quite a bit of work to go through every post and fix the images in each post. I'm sure I'll get to it at some point, but the thread seems to be dead at this point.

Just make sure you do it before the thread slides off into archives as it is gold mined, future goons must witness that wedding forever.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just love how shamelessly marketed this poster is. They literally took the two things about TPM that most people will still say are enjoyable (Maul and the Pod Race) and have those elements take up over 2/3rds of the poster, only making the slightest concessions to include elements that actually tie this film to the rest of the trilogy. :iamafag:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's nothing special. Yaddle, a member on the Jedi council, is a member of Yoda's race. Other than her I'm PRETTY sure no one else of his race has ever made an appearance in any Star Wars media because Lucas has put a pretty tight leash on Yoda discussion in the EU. You're not allowed to name the race, nor where they came from. Very few media delves into his past. Personally I think it's one of the few things he did right, although it raises a lot of questions, it keeps Yoda's mystique. Since he lost his dignity, his mystique is all he has left.

I thought Yoda was a Gremlin from Gremlins. :confused:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I'm pretty forgiving of a lot of stuff in the EU but Maul coming back to life is so incredibly stupid. I guess the only way to kill someone in the SWU is to disintegrate or decapitate* them.

*How long until Lucas decides to bring Jango back from the dead?

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010

Gianthogweed posted:

To be fair, when I saw the movie I thought that was a pretty obvious interpretation.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I always assumed as a kid the Dark Side either A. Causes your body to degrade faster as it saps your life force to power it, or B.The Emperor had artificially prolonged his life using the dark side. Leaned more towards option B than A, even though A ended up being the right one.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Douche Bag posted:

I'm pretty forgiving of a lot of stuff in the EU but Maul coming back to life is so incredibly stupid. I guess the only way to kill someone in the SWU is to disintegrate or decapitate* them.

Well with Jango, they have the option of a clone trooper who retained Jango's memories. Like they established as a thing in The Force Unleashed II (Which I recently played and is pretty bad).

Tobaccrow fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 14, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Well you see, that wasn't really Jango! Years before the battle he built a trap door under the exact spot he would be when the battle started and escaped. He dressed a clone trooper in replica armor and sent him on a suicide mission as a final lesson of self reliance to Boba Fett.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Sorry if this has been discussed to death at some point or another but:

The lovely movie posters thread took me to this article about an independent movie poster company. Good lord, take a look at these Star Wars ones by them, they're absolutely phenomenal. Big time Star Wars fans are probably familiar with these but I was just so struck with awe I had to share this. Especially after that not-exactly-inspiring Phantom Menace 3D poster.

Zat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 14, 2011

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So what's the general consensus on The Clone Wars? Is it worth watching?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Douche Bag posted:

Until this stunt with Maul, I'd ask what's the point? We have his clone established in AOTC and was far more fan-popular than his "father" for 20 years before Jango's appearance.

In comics the concept of the flashback story works really well to feature a currently dead character. It's win-win because you get a story with the character without feeling cheated.

They haven't established one way or the other that they're really bringing him back "for reals" or doing a flashback episode, have they?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Thwomp posted:

Here and there, it can be pretty good. But it has a habit of being really hit or miss. The misses drag on and on and on and hardly feel like 22 minutes

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Well, it's a kid's show, so it's sort of up to you if you have the patience to look past the kiddie bullshit. I tried but had to give up.

Zat posted:

Sorry if this has been discussed to death at some point or another but:

The lovely movie posters thread took me to this article about an independent movie poster company.

I can imagine this on my wall and it's awesome.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Gianthogweed posted:

Wookieepedia, eh?

Wookieepedia posted:

"Trix"-brand breakfast cereal is alluded to, but not named, in the description of the constellation known as the Silly Rabbit. This does not establish its existence, but it may establish the existence of raspberries, oranges, and lemons.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I just love how shamelessly marketed this poster is. They literally took the two things about TPM that most people will still say are enjoyable (Maul and the Pod Race) and have those elements take up over 2/3rds of the poster, only making the slightest concessions to include elements that actually tie this film to the rest of the trilogy. :iamafag:

It just makes no sense: there's no C-3PO there, just a barely visible R2.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
It's real important that the upper right-hand corner stay indistinct smoke instead of another character or two.

Between this, the DVD covers, and the Blu-Ray artwork I don't know what to think.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Has anyone seen/heard of The People vs George Lucas? I looked it up after seeing the shitstorm on Twitch about it. Apparently it is a documentary on George being a jackass, and fans being bitter?

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Salsa McManus posted:

Has anyone seen/heard of The People vs George Lucas? I looked it up after seeing the shitstorm on Twitch about it. Apparently it is a documentary on George being a jackass, and fans being bitter?

I haven't heard of it, but I'd be more surprised if a documentary with that premise didn't end up getting made at some point.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Thwomp posted:

The shows biggest flaw is using major characters. Episodes that center around Anakin, Obi Wan, Padme, Grievous or Dooku are uninteresting because we know at the end of the series they have to be able to get to where they belong at the start of Episode III. So whenever anyone gets captured or in a life threatening situation, there's no tension because we know it has to work out. Sometimes they're good, but it's usually because some secondary character is in the mix.

The eps that don't star major characters, like clone troopers, or 2nd tier Jedi, are often much better for the opposite reason I listed above.

Overall it's definitely not good and yet I keep watching it. I guess I keep hoping for the occasional hit. And I have nothing better to do.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Star Wars: Overall it's definitely not good and yet I keep watching it.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Star Wars: Overall it's definitely not good and yet I keep watching it.

It's more like a pile of poo poo with diamonds buried inside. Your hands will get dirty and people will look funny at you, but digging in with full force is still worth it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Hungry Gerbil posted:

full force

I GET IT.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaiEHNv2g6w

This was posted in discussion of the new Phantom Menace poster in CineD. Anybody remember being excited for Episode I?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Carnaticum posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaiEHNv2g6w

This was posted in discussion of the new Phantom Menace poster in CineD. Anybody remember being excited for Episode I?

When it looked like the film would be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Anakin defeating him in episode three would have been his "graduation", the final proof that he was the apprentice that Palpatine truly wanted.

edit: Every time I read something like this I feel excited and sad inside at the same time, imagining what could have been. Sorry if I should be taking this to the book barn, but I thought Rogue Planet was an alright book since it was written by a hard sci fi author before the second movie came out. It portrayed Anakin better than Lucas ever had with the following movies.

Kneel Before Zog fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 15, 2011