Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

Just started playing through Risen for the first time, anything I should be aware of? Looks like it should be some good fun.

There are three basic career paths in the game. It goes like this, do missions for guys who hang out in the swamps and you go the fighter route, if you walk up the mountain at the start you are probably going to end up taking the fighter/mage path and if you do just a few missions for the guys in the swamps and make it to the first town and help the guards you can go the full mage path. I say this because if you walk up the mountain without knowing what's there you could get locked into that path without realizing there are other ones. The full mage path could be missed fairly easily as well.

Pick up a shield as soon as you can. The shield is your most important item. You need to block and you need to dodge. I'd get that down pretty quickly or you are going to get really frustrated.

The game has areas you will be too low level for and it will let you know this by killing you. If you are getting butchered back up, gain some levels and return later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Just got Persona 3:FES and Persona 4 as a gift from a friend. I like to go for full completion - is there anything in particular I should know? I saw starting up P3 that it has an import save file function, so I guess there's a new game plus sort of thing?

Anyway, what should I know before I play them (and can anyone point me to a 100% walkthrough?)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

flatluigi posted:

Just got Persona 3:FES and Persona 4 as a gift from a friend. I like to go for full completion - is there anything in particular I should know? I saw starting up P3 that it has an import save file function, so I guess there's a new game plus sort of thing?

Anyway, what should I know before I play them (and can anyone point me to a 100% walkthrough?)
Well, most of the advice given with regards to P3 (and P4 I guess) tends to revolve around stuff to know without having to resort to FAQs. But if you're reading a FAQ from the get go, well you'll avoid most of those problems. Things like which Social Links to avoid at first, which ones to get first, which stats to level up as you progress, etc.

Anyway, here's a 100% Social Link guide: http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/937269-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/faqs/52512 That'll save you a lot of trouble, though it's absolutely not necessary to adhere to something like this your first time.

Other advice though in general:
-As you level up, you can go farther in Tartarus before getting tired.
-If you do get Sick, you can visit the school doctor for a Courage boost (I don't think this uses up time).
-Do Elizabeth's requests, especially the ones where you meet up with her. They net you personae and other good stuff. Some of the stuff like "get X obscure item before certain date" is kind of hard to pull off if you don't know where to look, though those requests are usually not as important.
-New Game+ lets you import lots of stuff, like MC levels, the compendium, equipment, Academic/Courage/Charm levels, and fusion items. However, most importantly, your social links are still reset to zero.
-You can't really grind after a certain point unless you unlock the bonus dungeon, which you can't do unless you beat Death. And beating Death is VERY hard and requires a LOT of luck, and even then you can only do so if you beat Death during an Elizabeth request. I recommend getting Odin via maxing out the Emperor Social Link to cheese him.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
From what I'm hearing, it'd be better to try to max every social link in a new game plus, apparently. Does the same go for Persona 4?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Goofballs posted:

There are three basic career paths in the game. It goes like this, do missions for guys who hang out in the swamps and you go the fighter route, if you walk up the mountain at the start you are probably going to end up taking the fighter/mage path and if you do just a few missions for the guys in the swamps and make it to the first town and help the guards you can go the full mage path. I say this because if you walk up the mountain without knowing what's there you could get locked into that path without realizing there are other ones. The full mage path could be missed fairly easily as well.

Pick up a shield as soon as you can. The shield is your most important item. You need to block and you need to dodge. I'd get that down pretty quickly or you are going to get really frustrated.

The game has areas you will be too low level for and it will let you know this by killing you. If you are getting butchered back up, gain some levels and return later.

Thanks, I've noticed the game likes to kill me if I get distracted by shiny side paths.

Got a shield and keeping my block up, but is it much different than just parrying blows?

Went to the swamp first but think I'm going to try checking out the town before getting stuck in one path hopefully.

I found a brewer in the swamp that could teach me basic alchemy but when I did and went inside to try out his alchemy table with my inventory full of herbs it didn't let me use it, do I need a mortar and pestle or something to prepare them, or find recipes I guess. :(

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

VodeAndreas posted:

Just started playing through Risen for the first time, anything I should be aware of? Looks like it should be some good fun.
Carry lube because the boars will rape your rear end. Until you know what you're doing. The combat system is very strange in that just hacking at enemies madly will get you killed, but the trick is finding the timing when to hit them and when to block. Levels help a lot, too.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
There's nothing on the wiki for Dawn of War 2 (vanilla & Chaos Rising both) and I just did the first few missions today. Seems like the basic template is blow up any buildings with a Stealthed Cyrus, set up the Devastators in a good spot in cover, and then lure the enemy into the firing line and jump the Assault guys around constantly. Any reason to bring along the tactical guys? Anything else to keep in mind?

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

gohuskies posted:

There's nothing on the wiki for Dawn of War 2 (vanilla & Chaos Rising both) and I just did the first few missions today. Seems like the basic template is blow up any buildings with a Stealthed Cyrus, set up the Devastators in a good spot in cover, and then lure the enemy into the firing line and jump the Assault guys around constantly. Any reason to bring along the tactical guys? Anything else to keep in mind?

Tactical Squad is pretty much your tank. Tarkus has abilities that get enemies attention and avoid certain types of damage (and at higher levels, spreads this defense to other squads, as well). He also has tons of health and can equip more accessories and weapon types than any other squad. It's the most flexible squad, and the only squad I've never not used in a mission when I have the option. Tarkus also starts with Terminator Honors, so he'll be your first squad capable of using Terminator Armor.

e: Some more random tips:
A properly-geared Cyrus can kill pretty much anything.
Specializing your force commander in ranged combat is a heinous waste of potential.
Be careful where you jump Thaddeus, as he's incredibly fragile, even in Terminator Armor (which also changes the jetpack abilities into teleporter abilities).
If you use squads that make much use of cover (Avitus/Tarkus in normal armor, Cyrus), then be careful where you position your Dreadnaught or Terminators, as they destroy cover if they step on it.
These games are crazy fun in co-op.

Chaos Rising Tips (POSSIBLE SPOILERS):

Your Dreadnaught is incorruptible, and thus will leave your party for good if you get too much corruption (You'll get a warning first)

Aside from losing the purity ability and gaining chaos abilities, the amount of corruption in your squads affects the plot of the climax of the game. Full details in spoiler tags: If you have full corruption, I believe Jonah will always be the traitor. If you have partial corruption, your most corrupt squad will be the traitor. If you have full purity, then Marcellus will be the traitor. You'll fight whoever the traitor ends up being in one of the last missions of the expansion.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 15, 2011

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

VodeAndreas posted:

Posting so I can check my post history as I put a whole bunch of Risen tips into this thread a fair while ago.

EDIT: Here they are.

I have some tips for Risen. It's a decent game however it does a very bad job of explaining some things.

-The game has three main starting paths. Bandit camp, monastery and harbour city. These shape your character class however the game retardedly does not tell you this. If you go the bandit camp path you can choose a melee or ranged type of character. If you get into the monastery path, you become a mage type character. If you go to the city path you become a monk type character.

-A couple of crucial game mechanics for some loving stupid reason are not ever explained. For example, you can dig for treasure in small areas of cleared ground (need a shovel). You can uncover doors by clicking on some rings in dungeons or clicking on some rock walls with a pickaxe in your inventory (usually look like doorways).

-Get good at dodging and blocking.

-Keep all the stat boosting herbs. These can be made into potions which make them more effective.

-Alchemy is a must.

-Smithing only lets you make jewellery and swords. Still useful however.

-If you get high enough into the axe or sword mastery tree, you can wield 2H axes/swords in one hand.

-The highest that trainers can train your STR & DEX is 100. You can get above 100 through stat boosting equipment and potions. The cap is 200. Any stat boosting equipment counts towards both these caps. Eg you have 95 strength and wear a +5 ring for 100 total. A strength trainer will not let you add +5 strength until you take the ring off. You can only raise wisdom through reading bookstands and stone tablets.
As a corollary, keep all your stat boosting potions until you have trained up to 100 STR/DEX without any +stat items on.

-Only certain weapon trainers can get you to the maximum mastery.

-STR & DEX add directly to your weapon damage. STR for melee, DEX for ranged. Crossbows require STR to equip however get a damage bonus from DEX. Not sure how WIS works.

-Sneak is pretty much only good for stealing things in people's houses, skip it as you can get a ring that gives it to you. On PC, enable sneak with the LCTRL key (not sure what it is on console). Again, for some stupid loving reason the game doesn't tell you how to do this nor does it list this button in the key config in options.

-Acrobatics is useful for jumping off cliffs to reduce travel time. Again, you can find a ring that gives it to you.

-Jumping while you travel generally allows you to move faster than running. Exceptions are travelling up or down sleep slopes.

-When you are lockpicking chests/doors, the number of left/right actions for each lock is always equal. Eg. an easy lock has 4 actions (2L, 2R), medium has 6 (3L, 3R), hard has 8 (4L, 4R). So if you have a hard lock where the first four actions are LLLL, you know that the last four are RRRR.

Vidaeus fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 15, 2011

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

VodeAndreas posted:

Got a shield and keeping my block up, but is it much different than just parrying blows?

You can parry anything from humans (except possibly later 2-h stuff, it's been a while) but you can't parry animal attacks, which is why you want the shield; if you don't have on you'll have to dodge which becomes pretty drat difficult once you're fighting off entire packs of wolves.

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
This might not be THE appropriate thread for this question, but I believe it's the MOST appropriate thread:

You know what would be cool? If someone made new misssions for the maps in Commandos 2. Has anyone ever done that?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

flatluigi posted:

From what I'm hearing, it'd be better to try to max every social link in a new game plus, apparently. Does the same go for Persona 4?
I haven't actually played P4 yet, but it is extremely hard to max P3's social links the first time through. It can be done but you have very little room for error. In a New Game+ it would be easier because you won't have to waste any time building up Academics/Courage/Charm (all three should be maxed out). Therefore you can start social links much earlier.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

unleash the unicorn posted:

This might not be THE appropriate thread for this question, but I believe it's the MOST appropriate thread:

You know what would be cool? If someone made new misssions for the maps in Commandos 2. Has anyone ever done that?

It's not completely new, but the Destination Paris mod has some additional objectives, more enemies, and different starting positions, so it's probably as close as you're going to get. Also, it's hard as gently caress, if you're into that.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Nate RFB posted:

I haven't actually played P4 yet, but it is extremely hard to max P3's social links the first time through. It can be done but you have very little room for error. In a New Game+ it would be easier because you won't have to waste any time building up Academics/Courage/Charm (all three should be maxed out). Therefore you can start social links much earlier.

P4 gives you much more leeway when it comes to being able to do everything on a first runthrough, but if I'm remembering right, it requires you to clear entire dungeons in a day or two at max and be right on when it comes to stat increases. Honestly, my advice is to just play the game(s) however you want and if you want to max everything, do it on New Game+. If you insist, P3 is a huge bitch about it (I think I saw that if you do everything perfectly, you have 3 or 4 days left to spare at the end of the game) and P4 much less so, but still a bit of a pain.

Player 2
Sep 11, 2011

by T. Couchfucker

thebardyspoon posted:

Doesn't really answer his question though does it? Since he wants to make Fallout 3 better playing F:NV first will not help.

I think he was kidding.

Not a mod or spoiler for Fallout 3 but if you wander off the beaten path and happen upon 'Smith casey's garage' before the plot sends you there don't go in or you will sequence break the main quest.

Hostile Rabbi
Jun 25, 2005

by Ralp

flatluigi posted:

It's possible to max every social link in a fresh P3 playthrough, but like others have said, you have no leeway in what you can do during your days. It's possible, but probably not too fun unless you really like to follow a schedule or something.

P4 is a lot more forgiving (you basically have an entire month to catch up on non-party member social links). The early part of the game is more grindy and requires some planning so that you don't run out of SP. Also P4 randomizes the personality boosts, so you might have to save and reload at some points.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Anything on Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 2 and Heavy Rain?

Also, what's the link to the wiki?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

http://www.beforeiplay.com. That really should be put into the OP.

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Mass_Effect_2
http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Dragon_Age:_Origins

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Thanks man. I checked the OP and Google but couldn't find it.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The link is in the OP, it's just it's so easy to miss.

The link needs to be bold with text on the first line saying something along lines of "Check the Wiki before asking any questions in here".

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Soul Glo posted:

Mass Effect 2

If you haven't done so yet, do play through ME1 first and import your character into ME2. You'll be able to appreciate the series a lot more that way.
Also, if you're willing to shell out some extra money for DLC, get Lair of the Shadow Broker, Overlord, Arrival and Kasumi. All of those include storyline missions (as opposed to just new models or some new guns and armor) and they're quite good.
Make sure to get all the ship upgrades you can.
Do all the loyalty missions for your crew members.
Eventually you'll get a main storyline mission with the word "IFF" in it; Make sure you have all other missions and assignments that are open in your list at that point done before you continue with that one.
When you level up, spend the skill points on your class talent and max it out to level 4 ASAP. At level 4, pick the variety that gives you more boost to your Paragon / Renegade points as those are very important to get the more interesting dialogue choices.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks for the feedback about Risen. I've been to the town, got my letter of recommendation and am free back out to the world with some pitiful armor and a pretty nice shield!

Time to be eaten by wolves again. :D

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Burning Mustache posted:

If you haven't done so yet, do play through ME1 first and import your character into ME2. You'll be able to appreciate the series a lot more that way.
Alternately, since that while ME is a cool game deserving of a playthrough, it is also a long-rear end game if you just want to see consequences in ME2; The 360 version (possibly others) of ME2 has a DLC called Genesis that plays a 15 minute interactive movie recapping the plot of the first game and allowing you to select the major decisions for your import.

It won't give you all the little nods that a proper ME1 import can grant, but then it will save you the 40-50 hours ME1 takes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's a trilogy, though. You wouldn't want to watch a 15 minute recap of A New Hope would you? Especially since in many regards, I felt ME1's story was a lot better than ME2 (while ME2 improved the gameplay in several key areas).

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

It's a trilogy, though. You wouldn't want to watch a 15 minute recap of A New Hope would you? Especially since in many regards, I felt ME1's story was a lot better than ME2 (while ME2 improved the gameplay in several key areas).
ME has a great story, no question. But having done exactly what the DLC offers to skip (played through it just to get a certain set of choices), I would be more than happy to shell out the less-than-Kasumi price it goes for to never have to drive that damnable bouncy-mobile again.

Whatever you or the questioner decides, I figured it was worth pointing out that the option exists. With ME3 just around the proverbial corner, it's a bit of a slog to do both games however many times you want for your permutation of choices, great story nonewithstanding. ME2 isn't exactly short either.

EDIT: vvvvvvv Nevertheless, the question was about ME2, so I'd say giving more options for how to play that game to the highest satisfaction without doing 40 hours of preparation in another game is worth mentioning.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 17, 2011

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Genesis sucks and downplays the cool elements though; and ME1 is a great game so regarding it as a slog would be weird.

Wisp
May 17, 2010

Any tips for the first Gothic? Couldn't find anything in the first few pages, the last few or on the wiki.

I don't usually like to ask, but I thought I ought to ask for this one, given that I just had to head to GameFAQs to figure out how to pick things up.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Zedd posted:

Genesis sucks and downplays the cool elements though; and ME1 is a great game so regarding it as a slog would be weird.

I am actually replaying ME1 as I type this and your avatar .gif syncs up with the music in Chora's Den almost perfectly :3:

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Wisp posted:

Any tips for the first Gothic? Couldn't find anything in the first few pages, the last few or on the wiki.
Type the following into Google:
site:forums.somethingawful.com 2969807 gothic

"sexual rickshaw posted:

TO PICK UP ITEMS, TALK TO PEOPLE OR ATTACK, YOU HAVE TO HOLD DOWN CONTROL AND THE UP (OR W) KEY. That right there answers the one of the most frequently asked questions about Gothic 1.

You're weak at first, really, really weak, as in a strong gust of wind can kill your character weak. Because of that, I suggest you avoid any and all combat (unless you run into some juvenile scavengers) until you have a few levels, higher strength and a decent weapon.

Alternatively, there's a person who sells bows near the old camp (the big camp you'll find near where you're dumped at at the beginning.) If you can scrounge up the cost for a short bow + arrows (or be lucky enough to find one yourself) you can effectively weaken most low-end enemies to the point where they take 1-2 hits in melee.

In the Old Camp, there's 2 "escort" quests - do them. You won't be escorting anyone - they'll be escorting YOU. The people escorting you are nigh-invincible, strong and will kill anything that gets near them, but you'll get all the experience. Use the last fact to your advantage, as you can draw creatures to them and they'll kill them for you.

The entire game world is open at the start - the only thing preventing you from exploring is the fact that a lot of places are filled with enemies that can and will kill you at the beginning of the game. However, if you're sneaky enough, you can get by a lot of these and collect whatever loot they may be guarding.

After each chapter, new enemies will spawn in at certain locations, so if you clear out a cave of molerats in chapter 1, there may be lizards in that same cave come chapter 4.

Don't be afraid to use a lot of the plants you find - they'll be your main source of healing until you have enough for potions (or start finding them during your dungeon crawls) and they're EVERYWHERE.

Wisp
May 17, 2010

GulMadred posted:

Whoops! I tried using Google but apparently I suck at it. Thank you!

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GulMadred posted:

Gothic tips.

Thanks for dragging this up. I've added it to the wiki.

Wisp posted:

Whoops! I tried using Google but apparently I suck at it. Thank you!

If you need to use Google again to search this thread for tips, the help page on the wiki has the correct search string to use. Always works for me.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

GulMadred posted:

This is a trick I didn't know either. Thanks man, that made finding answers much easier because I know it must be a lot of work to get everything on the wiki so the answers won't always be there.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

GulMadred posted:

What does the number do?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xander77 posted:

What does the number do?

That's the thread id.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

On the off-chance that anyone cares about helping with the wiki:

Whenever I can't find tips on there, and I search Google, I take the time to collect what I find and put it on the wiki.

If any of you search for tips through Google and find some which aren't on the wiki (Make sure they're not on the wiki!), please could you post them in this thread? You can just quote the posts, if you like - no need for special formatting.

It'll mean that games which are missing from the wiki but present in this thread will slowly get added.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

deadtear posted:

That's the thread id.

Easier than using the thread id:

site:forums.somethingawful.com intitle:"What should I know before" Gothic

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ToxicFrog posted:

Easier than using the thread id:

site:forums.somethingawful.com intitle:"What should I know before" Gothic

no because then you get results like

What should I know before visiting an art museum for the first time? Q&A!

quote:

American Gothic is the title of a painting by...

edit:

VVVVVVVVVVVV Lighten up, buddy. I wasn't picking on you; I was only kidding!

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Oct 18, 2011

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

no because then you get results like

What should I know before visiting an art museum for the first time? Q&A!

What you mean to say is "No because then in my imaginary hypothetical situation you MIGHT get results like..."

Both pages of Google results for this search return only results from this thread.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Centipeed posted:

What you mean to say is "No because then in my imaginary hypothetical situation you MIGHT get results like..."

Both pages of Google results for this search return only results from this thread.

Thread numbers are unique and "what should I know before" is a fairly generic phrase especially with a dedicated Ask/Tell forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Oh I appreciate that. And I wasn't trying to be particularly serious.

I just wanted to point out that GOTTA STAY FAI's warning seemed like it referenced a real thread on Something Awful, when practically using either method is fine since there isn't another thread title like that currently.

If another one springs up which uses the "What should I know" phrase in its title, then using the thread number is definitely more helpful - it's just harder to remember.