Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.

The Walrus posted:

I just finished Bag of Bones and don't understand something. So Presumably the reason Devore wanted Kyra so badly was so he could take her off the TR and away from Sara's vengeful spirit. But then why does Rogette still try to kill Kyra even after Sara's influence has been negated

If you're talking about the part on the bridge(?) Sara was controlling Rogette at that point and wanted everything finished. Mike doesn't really lay Sara to rest, he just frees her (I think) allowing The Outsider to take over.

Maybe I'm very wrong though bcause it's been ages since I've read the book.

Oh, and speaking of Bag of Bones, remember when Mike and Kyra have that interwoven dream of the fair? On the way back they pass a room and hear someone say, "The President is okay, that's not his blood, it's his wife," or something. It's never explained but with how King loves interlocking his novels maybe it's a little foreshadowing to his time-travel/save Kennedy book? hosed if I know at this stage, I'm going back to the start and reading Carrie and then the rest in published order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I don't know why people love Wizard and Glass so much. When I bought it the saleslady couldn't shut up about how it was her favorite in the series. It absolutely bored me to tears and ultimately killed any interest I had in the Dark Tower series (I read Wolves of the Calla, but never got around to finishing the series. I've since spoiled it for myself).

Roland's backstory as detailed briefly in flashback in one of the earlier books sounded completely badass and awesome, and the world he grew up in even more so. So instead of that, we get to read some completely uneventful pseudo-western with a bland girl and a lot of weird child molestation/talk about Roland banging her interspersed throughout for good measure. I couldn't bring myself to care even a little bit about the book's events, after spending the first three books completely enraptured by the story.

I also got tired of King about the same time that I realized the guy has some serious sexual hangups/problems. It's almost impossible for me to recommend King books to friends without feeling obligated to explain that there's inevitably at least one incredibly awkward, extremely long, and grotesquely detailed sex scene, often including child abuse of some kind, and that it contributes essentially nothing to the plot each time. Something about the way King obsessively includes these bizarre sexual encounters is extremely off-putting to me and I find them disturbing to read through. The Library Policeman was the worst thing I have ever read in my entire life and I can't fathom how such a terrible, terrible idea made it all the way into a finished product.

e: The Stand was still awesome though.

mareep fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 12, 2011

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Eh, it could be due to me not having read everything King has written yet, but I haven't run across anything that approaches the :stare: inducing hosed-up poo poo I've read in some of the books Anne Rice has written, when it comes to the sex portions.

All the "Come-come-commala" stuff in Wolves of the Calla got old in a hurry, though. Yeah, we get it, it's a song about loving along with a song about planting crops.

What was Roland's starting stance when he did his Commala dance supposed to be a reference to, by the way? I feel like I should recognize the description, but can't place it (arms crossed over chest, palms of hands flat on either side of his face).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Oct 12, 2011

Siggers
Oct 4, 2011
I'm quite miffed by S.King lately, I used to love his books some 10+ years ago and had such a passion for his work but since then I've read book after book just filled even bloated with 400 pages of nothingness.

In that I mean scene/area/character building that's just completely wasted. I think the last one I tried to read was "the dome"(or something similar) lasted about 200 pages and haven't touched it since.(which for me is a travesty as I've never done that before with any book no matter how bad)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I saw an interview with King where he got asked "what books of yours do you think will stand the test of time?" And of course he answered "the 'S' books" (i.e., "Salem's Lot", "The Shining" and "The Stand"). Which was ironic since he pretty much says in "On Writing" that it depresses him when people name one of those three as their favorite book of his, because he wonders what it says about him as a writer that people think his best work is at least two or three decades behind him.

So at least he's aware that a lot of what he's done over the last 10 years or so hasn't really been all that great. :v:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

On the commala thing in 'Wolves of the Calla' - if you know anything about folk music and folk dance you will realize that planting crops and getting laid are always entwined in the least subtle single-entendre ever.

'The Mist' is loving awesome and the movie was by far the best adaptation of a King story to film until the last five minutes when it unzipped and pissed all over one of the best ambiguous endings I have ever read.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Mad Hamish posted:

On the commala thing in 'Wolves of the Calla' - if you know anything about folk music and folk dance you will realize that planting crops and getting laid are always entwined in the least subtle single-entendre ever.

'The Mist' is loving awesome and the movie was by far the best adaptation of a King story to film until the last five minutes when it unzipped and pissed all over one of the best ambiguous endings I have ever read.

Keep in mind, too, that King says he wishes he'd thought of that ending when he originally wrote it. :v:

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Grandpa Pap posted:

Keep in mind, too, that King says he wishes he'd thought of that ending when he originally wrote it. :v:
Hopefully he was just being gracious to whoever adapted it. Kinda doubtful, though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

I saw an interview with King where he got asked "what books of yours do you think will stand the test of time?" And of course he answered "the 'S' books" (i.e., "Salem's Lot", "The Shining" and "The Stand"). Which was ironic since he pretty much says in "On Writing" that it depresses him when people name one of those three as their favorite book of his, because he wonders what it says about him as a writer that people think his best work is at least two or three decades behind him.

So at least he's aware that a lot of what he's done over the last 10 years or so hasn't really been all that great. :v:

Well it makes sense for him to name those as being most likely to stand the test of time, because they already have.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Rauri posted:

Hopefully he was just being gracious to whoever adapted it. Kinda doubtful, though.

Probably not, as it was adapted by Frank Darabont (who did "The Green Mile" and "Shawshank Redemption" before it).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

Different mediums. That kind of ending works well in the short story, but I felt the movie's worked for the movie.

Darabont did it because he didn't want any cheap sequels continuing the story at all, so he completely closed off those characters' arc.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Grandpa Pap posted:

I can't explain why, but I honestly believe that Duma Key is my third favorite book from him (1st and 2nd being Salem's Lot and It)

I dunno if I could read Dome again though. I liked it at the time, but...

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Mad Hamish posted:

You think The Mist is better than The Shawshank Redemption? At least The Shawshank Redemption has a good ending.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I prefer Mist to Shawshank on the page but Id much rather watch Shawshank than Mist.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's a Goodreads list of the best Stephen King books, voted by over 700 people, and I think it's a pretty good list. Top ten:

1. The Stand
2. It
3. The Shining
4. 'Salem's Lot
5. Misery
6. Pet Sematary
7. The Gunslinger
8. Carrie
9. The Green Mile
10. The Shawshank Redemption (I guess you could vote for novellas too)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/309.Best_of_Stephen_King

I need to read more Stephen King. I've only read three of those.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't read The Green Mile yet, which actually should be kinda interesting.

It's the only time where I'm going to read a Stephen King-book AFTER seeing the movie. I wonder what I'll think of it; I've always thought the book has been superior.

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Hedrigall posted:

There's a Goodreads list of the best Stephen King books, voted by over 700 people, and I think it's a pretty good list. Top ten:

1. The Stand
2. It
3. The Shining
4. 'Salem's Lot
5. Misery
6. Pet Sematary
7. The Gunslinger
8. Carrie
9. The Green Mile
10. The Shawshank Redemption (I guess you could vote for novellas too)

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/309.Best_of_Stephen_King

I need to read more Stephen King. I've only read three of those.

Even if you couldn't Different Seasons should be on that list of his best books.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

brylcreem posted:

I haven't read The Green Mile yet, which actually should be kinda interesting.

It's the only time where I'm going to read a Stephen King-book AFTER seeing the movie. I wonder what I'll think of it; I've always thought the book has been superior.

The book is a fair bit darker in places, especially the ending (not a specific spoiler, but still, you said you haven't read it).

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That said, The Green Mile is so close to the movie that it's almost redundant. One of the few almost 1-1 translations of his stuff.

Coco Rodreguiz
Jan 12, 2007

Peckerhead isn't used enough as an insult if you ask me.
I just finished It for the first time. I'd always wanted to read it since high school and finally bit the bullet and picked up a copy.

First 300 pages: "Alright this is pretty good."
Next 734 pages: "Goddamn this is awesome, gotta keep reading."
Pages 1035-1041: :gonk:

Over all it's awesome except for THOSE pages.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Squid Hat posted:

I just finished It for the first time. I'd always wanted to read it since high school and finally bit the bullet and picked up a copy.

I've left markers in my copy before the page where the orgy begins, and just skip it when I wanna reread the final sewer part. He coulda achieved the whole confrontation of adolescent sexuality a lot less literally then how he did.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Squid Hat posted:

I hated the first 300 pages. Then again, it was my first real introduction to Stephen King and I didn't realise just how long he can take to set-up a story.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I swear this thread can barely go a page without referring to that scene in IT

Or the ending to the Mist movie for that matter

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I've never read the book version of Cujo so I don't know how it compares to the movie, but did anyone else find the movie boring as hell?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

I've never read the book version of Cujo so I don't know how it compares to the movie, but did anyone else find the movie boring as hell?

I thought it was ok, but I saw it 12 years ago or so.

It's a movie about two people trapped in a car; I expected something somewhat slow and claustrophobic.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Darko posted:

I thought it was ok, but I saw it 12 years ago or so.

It's a movie about two people trapped in a car; I expected something somewhat slow and claustrophobic.

I thought it was about a dog that gets rabies and starts loving poo poo up. I wasn't expecting the whole oh look they are still in the car thing.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

juliuspringle posted:

I thought it was about a dog that gets rabies and starts loving poo poo up. I wasn't expecting the whole oh look they are still in the car thing.

I couldn't watch it past when they first have Cujo jumping all over the car barking at them due to that loving scream that kid kept doing (my dad was feeling the same way, because at one point he said "My god, shut the gently caress up!" and we decided to stop the movie).

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

juliuspringle posted:

I found both boring as hell. I remember reading Cujo in the car when I was young and thinking it was kinda dull, and the movie was worse. I don't have a problem with the idea presented but both executions were just lacking.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zachack posted:

I found both boring as hell. I remember reading Cujo in the car when I was young and thinking it was kinda dull, and the movie was worse. I don't have a problem with the idea presented but both executions were just lacking.

Cujo is, according to King, a book he remembers nothing about writing because he did it all in a prolonged blacked out state. I suspect that's why it's not really that good.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

trandorian posted:

Cujo is, according to King, a book he remembers nothing about writing because he did it all in a prolonged blacked out state. I suspect that's why it's not really that good.

So apparently the sweet spot is somewhere between not high at all and blacked the gently caress out.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

juliuspringle posted:

So apparently the sweet spot is somewhere between not high at all and blacked the gently caress out.

He was only blacked out for half of Tommyknockers, how does that rate? :v:

FatmanSA
May 21, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Room 1408: I read once at three in the morning and it creeped me out more than anything I'd read in ages. Not sure if it was the time of day, the lack of sleep I'd had in the last 72 hours, the horrendous food I'd eaten earlier or what... but that phone shouting something like "SIX! This is SIX!" freaked me out way too hard.

Haven't seen the movie, don't want to.

I still think, alongside Neil Gaiman, that Stephen King writes the best short stories these days.

But I'll never forgive the git for "The Dome."

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

trandorian posted:

He was only blacked out for half of Tommyknockers, how does that rate? :v:

Depends, was he blacked out when he wrote the vagina tentacles scene?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.

FatmanSA posted:

Room 1408: I read once at three in the morning and it creeped me out more than anything I'd read in ages. Not sure if it was the time of day, the lack of sleep I'd had in the last 72 hours, the horrendous food I'd eaten earlier or what... but that phone shouting something like "SIX! This is SIX!" freaked me out way too hard.

I still think, alongside Neil Gaiman, that Stephen King writes the best short stories these days.

But I'll never forgive the git for "The Dome."

The 1408 movie took out all the creepy and insane otherworldly things and more or less just left boring ghost stuff. :smith:

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I'm about two thirds into The Shining now and man it's awesome

I just got to where they hear the elevator and it's haunted by old guests having a party.

Reading into Jack and the Overlook as King vs his alcoholic demons sure is something.

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

FatmanSA posted:

I think 1408 is the only writing from King that has ever legitimately freaked me out. That phone scene still sticks with me as something really really hosed up, as does the ending.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Darko posted:

That said, The Green Mile is so close to the movie that it's almost redundant. One of the few almost 1-1 translations of his stuff.
Another one that a lot of people don't catch is Stand by Me. It's an almost word for word translation of The Body from Different Seasons.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Dolores Claiborne was a good adaptation

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2645

The Stand is going to be a movie, Baffleck is directing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So they kicked out David Yates for Ben Affleck?