Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Cowboy. posted:

Whats the deal thread, why haven't we been sperging out about new stuff coming out lately?

Vestax is releasing a 4-deck controller, unsurprisingly the VCI-400:
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/09/30/vestax-vci-400-exclusive-video-and-photos/

Allen and Heath are releasing a new mixer the DB2
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1804

And a controller the K2
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1805

and Pioneer have a new midi-controller the DDJ-Ergo (looks space-age as gently caress):
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1799

Plus there' also some new kid on the block in terms of software titled "The One," which is pretty vague on who's behind it (My feeling is Stanton based on the logo, but I have no idea. Perhaps our resident rep can confirm or deny?)
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/09/30/new-modular-dj-software-the-one/

I mean, none of this gets me all that excited (more or less more of the same), but hey, new stuff.

We had nothing to do with "The One". I've already tried reaching out to them though, as I REALLY want to do some mappings with the product. It is honestly a killer piece from the looks of it. Anyway, the EKS people seem to be behind it....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Im surprised by the lack of mocking of Serato DJ Intro in this thread

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Cowboy. posted:

Plus there' also some new kid on the block in terms of software titled "The One," which is pretty vague on who's behind it (My feeling is Stanton based on the logo, but I have no idea. Perhaps our resident rep can confirm or deny?)
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/09/30/new-modular-dj-software-the-one/

I mean, none of this gets me all that excited (more or less more of the same), but hey, new stuff.

My only guess is that the One would be http://eks.fi/ - the whois on whoistheone.net is all finnish blah blah - and that's the only finnish DJ company that I know.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Thing is, it is dope. Think about it- it is basically Traktor Duo minus custom mappings for free, and shares a library with SSL.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Why? It seems like a pretty obvious product they were missing, not everyone uses TTs or CDJs, or want to be tied to some super expensive controller. Its for the kids with MPDs and things like that.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

oredun posted:

Why? It seems like a pretty obvious product they were missing, not everyone uses TTs or CDJs, or want to be tied to some super expensive controller. Its for the kids with MPDs and things like that.

Wait, does anyone know if the normal Numark Mixtrack (Not the Mixtrack Pro) works with DJ Intro? Ever since I got my NS7 I never use Traktor, so my old controller has just been sitting there collecting dust. If I could pick that controller up again and use it in smaller parties with my already carefully organized Serato library, this would be a god send.

Edit: Just tried checking and it seems like it doesn't. Lame. :(

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 5, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

Thing is, it is dope. Think about it- it is basically Traktor Duo minus custom mappings for free, and shares a library with SSL.

Because their current bread and butter that makes them money, ssl, is a massive piece of poo poo. It's pretty telling when VSL is so terrible (they havent updated since April 2010) that people flee to a 3rd party plug in. Seems they've abandoned the bridge too (hasn't been updated since July 2010). All they've done is let SSL declne into a poo poo state, and it doesn't even work on lion.

I've given up on the disaster that is SSL and have switched toi TSP2, which actually works.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Because their current bread and butter that makes them money, ssl, is a massive piece of poo poo. It's pretty telling when VSL is so terrible (they havent updated since April 2010) that people flee to a 3rd party plug in. Seems they've abandoned the bridge too (hasn't been updated since July 2010). All they've done is let SSL declne into a poo poo state, and it doesn't even work on lion.

I've given up on the disaster that is SSL and have switched toi TSP2, which actually works.

How is SSL a piece of poo poo? It is a compelling program that does exactly what it says it does, offer tight timecode control of music. It has really cool macro FX functions that are easy to map, unlike the pain in the rear end that is the controller manager. It works with Lion, it just doesn't like hot plugging (I know, I have used it). VSL, yea, you have a point, but how can you update the Bridge when Ableton has offered no substantial updates to open up to? As for declining, sometimes you have to drop back and work on your app behind the scenes instead of releasing updates that may add some features but also break things (like NI did with Traktor 2.02/2.03, which severely broke MIDI platter control on a ton of controllers).

I'm a Traktor user through and through (from Final Scratch 1.1 which was Traktor-based all the way to TSP2), but SSL is a great application. There is a lot that I wish that Traktor did more like SSL, like offer better customization of waveform layouts and have a controller manager that wasn't so painful to use that I had to spend money on a 3rd party mapping application.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
There are two reasons that I love Serato over Traktor, and they are pretty simple. First off are the beatgrids. As far as I know, you can't do multi-tempo beatgrids within one song in Traktor, but in Serato it's piss easy and takes 2 minutes tops to set up. The second is that the waveforms are numbered, so I can better tell what bar I'm in. If I'm practicing a new song, sometimes I'll just jump to bar 17, 33, or 65 and I'm already mixing pretty seemlessly. These seem like pretty easy things for Traktor to add in, and perhaps the second one is just an option I haven't turned on yet, but as far as I know Traktor doesn't have them and Serato does. It's a pretty awesome application.

Horrido
Mar 26, 2010
I had a gig at a friend's birthday party last saturday, nothing big (40/50 people) with a kickass PA.

I'm by no means an experienced DJ but me and a friend i shared the set with (we would play 30/40 minutes each, switching between Dubstep/Electro/DnB) but i loved playing and had a blast, got some positive feedback on the tracks i choosen and the crowd seemed to like it.

Nothing else to say, just that dj'ing is fun as gently caress and i look forward to get a serious controller (we basically shared an mpc that we had to pass to eachother every switch) and spin at other parties!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I think what's hindering Scratch Live development is the partnership with Rane. Scratch Live is no longer the flagship Serato application...it's now Itch. Itch can literally be sold to any hardware company and that's where Serato makes their money.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

The Dark Wind posted:

The second is that the waveforms are numbered, so I can better tell what bar I'm in. If I'm practicing a new song, sometimes I'll just jump to bar 17, 33, or 65 and I'm already mixing pretty seemlessly. These seem like pretty easy things for Traktor to add in, and perhaps the second one is just an option I haven't turned on yet, but as far as I know Traktor doesn't have them and Serato does. It's a pretty awesome application.

It is possible to show the measure and number in the field customization on your decks, simply select "Beats" as one of the fields you display like so:

It shows up in your deck view like this. Measures.Bars.Beats

Also, if you hover over the stripe, it tells you how many bars forward or back you'd be going if you click

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

How is SSL a piece of poo poo? It is a compelling program that does exactly what it says it does, offer tight timecode control of music.

Unless you're using keylock, which has been a problem complained about for years.

quote:

It has really cool macro FX functions that are easy to map, unlike the pain in the rear end that is the controller manager.

Yeah, but I use my mixer/EFX-1000 for effects so this doesn't really matter to me. Traktor still does a better job of FX and the way it treats your CPU usage.

quote:

It works with Lion, it just doesn't like hot plugging (I know, I have used it).

There's still a lot of quirks outside hot plugging like offline mode analyzing crashing.

quote:

[VSL, yea, you have a point, but how can you update the Bridge when Ableton has offered no substantial updates to open up to?

The bridge is super unstable and crashes all the time, that's why no one uses it outside of a studio setting. It's only a matter of time when I start using the bridge before I have to force quit Serato to restart it because something happened. It was interesting to toy around for a while but it going boring because of bugs. IMO TSP2 sample decks do watch the bridge promised to do in a lot simpler fashion.

quote:

As for declining, sometimes you have to drop back and work on your app behind the scenes instead of releasing updates that may add some features but also break things (like NI did with Traktor 2.02/2.03, which severely broke MIDI platter control on a ton of controllers).

Theres widespread problems with 2.3 corrupting libraries, just go look at the serato help discussion. I'm not sure how big the Serato team is, but unlike NI they only do DVS. It seems in the past couple years they've started a whole bunch of products, and half assed the support on them. SSL, ITCH, VSL, Bridge, and now Intro? It's a pretty telling sign what the dj scene thinks of SSL when it was almost 100% dominated by Serato in the past, but its become about 50/50 in the past year.

quote:

I'm a Traktor user through and through (from Final Scratch 1.1 which was Traktor-based all the way to TSP2), but SSL is a great application. There is a lot that I wish that Traktor did more like SSL, like offer better customization of waveform layouts and have a controller manager that wasn't so painful to use that I had to spend money on a 3rd party mapping application.

I only wish that Traktor handled it's library in the way that Serato does. I prefer the custom mappings in Traktor, because Serato gets goofy when you have more than one non official serato controller running with it.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 5, 2011

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
thanks for the advice earlier fellas, got the stanton str8150 and loving it. Now i'm after a basic mixer primarily for scratch purposes. Got my eye on a stanton m212
https://www.storedj.com.au/attachments/Product/1499/STN-M212.jpg?ts=1286837846

Any other good options for a cheap basic type mixer that will do for scratching?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've had a lot of fun on a buddy's Ms. Pinky setup and want to build my own up now that I have a few hundo to throw into it. I intend to expand into a live PA/looping type thing so I figure the spergery built into this platform will dovetail.

I sadly am slumming it with STR-80's but 1200's are a comfort thing for me, not a necessity, i can mix fine on stantons. So decks are sorted. I have piles of Macbooks sitting on standby.

Suggestions for a 4 channel i/o box? Old Serato box perhaps? I can spit line out from the turntables but would strongly prefer a Real Interface With Phono Ins so I can take it on the road. My home recording poo poo is sorted so this is all it'd be used for.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Last night I got my first chance to play a huge party from beginning to end, and man what a feeling that was. I was blasting dubstep, drumstep, electro/dutch house, moombahton, and the occasional top 40 or hip hop, and people were going absolutely insane. Got tons of props from everybody, people were screaming and dancing their heads off, women were checking me out, and I felt like king of the night. All this while playing music I absolutely love and listen to all the time on my own. I want to do this everyday.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

helpful stuff about showing beats/bars etc in traktor

Do you know if there's any way to show how many bars you will jump when clicking on the waveform while a track isn't playing? They had it in Traktor Pro, but took it out for Traktor 2 for no reason I can see.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Nindoze posted:

thanks for the advice earlier fellas, got the stanton str8150 and loving it. Now i'm after a basic mixer primarily for scratch purposes. Got my eye on a stanton m212

Any other good options for a cheap basic type mixer that will do for scratching?

Hey, I'm actually a product manager at Stanton, so I guess take that as a good or bad thing.

The M212 is a cool mixer, but we replaced it with the M.203 pretty recently. The M.203 has a much better EQ (3 band, full kills), is better built, and has a little bit better "scratch" curve setting. That said, I would also take a look at the M.207. It has curve on all 3 channels, great EQ, and the FX processor is really dope with touch-sensitive control. Anyway, reason I suggest it is that the M.203 was made to be the best starter mixer you could get, while the m.207 was made to be a mixer that would last you for a long time. It is a better match for your 150's, which will pretty much take a bomb blast.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Jonny 290 posted:

I've had a lot of fun on a buddy's Ms. Pinky setup and want to build my own up now that I have a few hundo to throw into it. I intend to expand into a live PA/looping type thing so I figure the spergery built into this platform will dovetail.

I sadly am slumming it with STR-80's but 1200's are a comfort thing for me, not a necessity, i can mix fine on stantons. So decks are sorted. I have piles of Macbooks sitting on standby.

Suggestions for a 4 channel i/o box? Old Serato box perhaps? I can spit line out from the turntables but would strongly prefer a Real Interface With Phono Ins so I can take it on the road. My home recording poo poo is sorted so this is all it'd be used for.

Depends on if you want to use Serato or not. If you want to use Ms. Pinky, this is honestly the best way to go:

http://www.mixware.net/product_detail.php?product=EX-AI-EB44

It is $99. You can't get anything for that kind of money that approaches this for features and quality. An SL1 would give you Serato, but the SL1 hates new Intel Core i-series processors, so you will have to throw it away when you upgrade.

Otherwise, if you want a complete set, take a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/MIX-VIBES-CROSSPACK-Mixvibes-Package/dp/B002G2090Q

While not the most feature packed, for 2 deck mixing Cross is way solid. As well, it runs on even a low-spec machine very well at even low latency settings, and version 1.6 has the best library management you will find out there, period.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Anae posted:

Do you know if there's any way to show how many bars you will jump when clicking on the waveform while a track isn't playing? They had it in Traktor Pro, but took it out for Traktor 2 for no reason I can see.

No idea. I don't really use the track jump functionality at all as I control everything with scratch

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Last night I got my first chance to play a huge party from beginning to end, and man what a feeling that was. I was blasting dubstep, drumstep, electro/dutch house, moombahton, and the occasional top 40 or hip hop, and people were going absolutely insane. Got tons of props from everybody, people were screaming and dancing their heads off, women were checking me out, and I felt like king of the night. All this while playing music I absolutely love and listen to all the time on my own. I want to do this everyday.

thats awesome dude! thats why we do this. now get a good residency and do it every week!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Professorbx posted:

protips

Thanks for the help, off to shop!

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Nindoze posted:

I've seen the American Audio QD5Mk201 mixer recommended quite a bit, especially for beginner scratchers. It's pricier when compared to the M212, but cheaper compared to other scratch mixers.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

keevo posted:

I've seen the American Audio QD5Mk201 mixer recommended quite a bit, especially for beginner scratchers. It's pricier when compared to the M212, but cheaper compared to other scratch mixers.

QD5mkII was a great mixer (it is discontinued now though, replaced by the DV2), but I'm not sure it would be readily available in Australia. That said, the fader on it was dope.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Oh poo poo. I didn't know it was discontinued. What about getting a cheap, used, durable mixer and then install an Innofader in it?

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

keevo posted:

Oh poo poo. I didn't know it was discontinued. What about getting a cheap, used, durable mixer and then install an Innofader in it?

It got replaced by the DV2-it is literally the same mixer, save for a built-in USB interface. I really don't like the paint job, but the mixer itself is still really fresh for the $$. The price is $250usd, not sure about distro in Australia. We have really good distro in Australia, so it might end up being the same $$ overall.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Motherfucker I just realised I can tweak the options on offer whilst using USB sticks in my CDJ 350s. You know how various DJ software lets you group tracks by colour so you can separate various 'moods' for your music? Well I didn't know I could do the same thing via Rekordbox for USB use. I feel like such a loving idiot. :v:

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

88h88 posted:

Motherfucker I just realised I can tweak the options on offer whilst using USB sticks in my CDJ 350s. You know how various DJ software lets you group tracks by colour so you can separate various 'moods' for your music? Well I didn't know I could do the same thing via Rekordbox for USB use. I feel like such a loving idiot. :v:

I didn't realize that the colors did anything without the color screen on the 2000s. I have the 900s and usually make playlists and sort by BPM.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Heya!

I'd like to do some bedroom mixing. What's the minimum necessary equipment to utilize the mp3 collection on my computer?

I've been looking at the numark mixdeck, which seems to have all the components I'd need: two decks, mixer, usb hookup to the computer, and traktor LE software to install on the computer. There are a few used ones in my area I'm going to check out this weekend.

I currently have a single denon dn-s1000 and a stanton smx.201 (bought off SA Mart actually, someone was selling both for cheap). Is there some combination of equipment which would achieve my goal starting from this equipment?

Again, I'm not really interested in burning tracks to a cd, or using usb flash drives.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

epswing posted:

I've been looking at the numark mixdeck, which seems to have all the components I'd need: two decks, mixer, usb hookup to the computer, and traktor LE software to install on the computer. There are a few used ones in my area I'm going to check out this weekend.

There are some very knowledgable people in this thread who can help you more than I can, but one thing I want to mention is that when you're looking at used software-based options like that, make sure you can actually register the software.

It would suck to get a used Mixtrack and then find out that the Traktor serial number is already registered to someone else's account.

It may not be an issue for stuff that comes with LE, but I know for some NI stuff, people have gotten totally screwed buying used.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epswing posted:

Heya!

I'd like to do some bedroom mixing. What's the minimum necessary equipment to utilize the mp3 collection on my computer?

I've been looking at the numark mixdeck, which seems to have all the components I'd need: two decks, mixer, usb hookup to the computer, and traktor LE software to install on the computer. There are a few used ones in my area I'm going to check out this weekend. [...] Again, I'm not really interested in burning tracks to a cd, or using usb flash drives.

I don't really see the point of possibly planning on spending a comparatively large amount of money on a controller which reads CDs and has an ipod connection while at the same time stating your non-interest in exactly thas kind of functionality.

Alternatively cou could go for either a better integrated (controller made by the same company as the software), more innovative (pad-like functionality while providing a Serato option) or simply cheaper (same manufacturer as the Mixdeck but without the superfluous playback options) alternative. Did you specifically look into the Mixdeck because it doesn't need a laptop running next to it (or are you maybe confusing the -deck with the -track)?

Mind you I haven't touched any of these controllers myself (still rocking a VCI-100) but the vibe on them in places like DJTechTools or the Native Instruments forums is a lot better than your own choice, which to me looks like a gimmick product. Hell with the Kontrol S2 you get the full Traktor Pro2 which would otherwise set you back like $200 (don't know for sure since I get the prices quoted in €s on NI's site). Now that's getting your money's worth.

quote:

I currently have a single denon dn-s1000 and a stanton smx.201 (bought off SA Mart actually, someone was selling both for cheap). Is there some combination of equipment which would achieve my goal starting from this equipment?

I've only got bad things to say about Stanton mixers but its more related to their durability and build quality than the fact that any simple 2/3 channel mixer will come with pretty much the same functionality.

You've got an effects enabled deck combined with a basic mixer which is a bit of an odd combination since any second deck you add would have to come with its own effects section. If it were the other way around and you had a more well-rounded mixer you could simply hook up your software via an external audio interface like the I/O or Audio 2.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Looks like the mixtrack pro is what I'm looking for. Thanks!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Btw I've seen people complain about the soundcard quality of the Pro so you might want to go for the non-Pro version combined with an Audio 2DJ or a similar soundscard. With one of these you'll also probably have a better resale value were you ever to decide to upgrade to an integrated controller or you could simply keep using it while moving on to something like a second hand VCI-100SE.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
I'm going to ask some newb questions now.

How would the A2DJ connect to the mixtrack? Or...no, it doesn't connect to the mixtrack. Hm.

What's an integrated controller?

epswing fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 24, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

epswing posted:

I'm going to ask some newb questions now.

How would the A2DJ connect to the mixtrack? Or...no, it doesn't connect to the mixtrack. Hm.

What's an integrated controller?

I'll break it down a bit.

An audio interface is like an external sound card which helps you get audio in and out of your computer. (And it presumably takes some of the load off your CPU when it comes to processing high quality sound.) A controller is a thing with buttons and faders and jog wheels which sends commands (via midi or another protocol) to change values in whatever software you're using. Both of these devices connect to your computer via USB or firewire or whatever.

The other option is to use something like the Mixtrack Pro which is a controller that has an audio interface built-in, which can be handy in order to cut down on how many devices you're juggling. In this case, if the interface in the Pro sucks as Koesj is suggesting, then it may be better to mix and match by using the non-pro version (no audio interface) with a separate interface of your choosing.

Sorry, I think I worded that in a slightly convoluted manner, but I think you'll get what I mean.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yep, thanks.

I'm assuming then that the software knows what an integrated controller is (hey Virtual DJ, use the Mixtrack!), and knows what audio interfaces are available to it (hey Virtual DJ, output to the Audio 2DJ!).

So would I be able to get a Mixtrack Pro, and if I really didn't like its built-in audio interface, I could then get (for example) an Audio 2DJ and point my software to it, bypassing the Mixtrack Pro's interface?

(I'm just using it for a little bedroom mixing, a mediocre audio interface is probably fine.)

epswing fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 24, 2011

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

epswing posted:

I'm assuming then that the software knows what an integrated controller is (hey Virtual DJ, use the Mixtrack!), and knows what audio interfaces are available to it (hey Virtual DJ, output to the Audio 2DJ!).

So would I be able to get a Mixtrack Pro, and if I really didn't like its built-in audio interface, I could then get (for example) an Audio 2DJ and point my software to it, bypassing the Mixtrack Pro's interface?

Yeah, the software should see all of your connected junk and let you pick how you want to handle the audio.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epswing posted:

(I'm just using it for a little bedroom mixing, a mediocre audio interface is probably fine.)

Yeah a Mixtrack Pro might be a clean and simple solution for you then although it costs about the same as a vanilla Mixtrack+A2DJ.

I'm also not going to stop pointing out the fact that the ~$600 Kontrol S2 comes with the full version of Traktor Pro 2 (MSRP $200) and an Audio 6 quality soundcard inside (dedicated booth output and the likes). Not sure what kind of DJing experience you've got right now but IMO: you can't go wrong with Traktor (or Serato for that matter) and it's def. a better quality controller.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Koesj posted:

Yeah a Mixtrack Pro might be a clean and simple solution for you then although it costs about the same as a vanilla Mixtrack+A2DJ.

I'm also not going to stop pointing out the fact that the ~$600 Kontrol S2 comes with the full version of Traktor Pro 2 (MSRP $200) and an Audio 6 quality soundcard inside (dedicated booth output and the likes). Not sure what kind of DJing experience you've got right now but IMO: you can't go wrong with Traktor (or Serato for that matter) and it's def. a better quality controller.

Really want to rant here, but I won't.....much. The S2/S4 aren't a better quality controller. Honestly, you get HID, but really, the quality is about the same. The industrial design is better, but come on. The BOM cost isn't that far off between the Mixtrack Pro and the S2, and the S2 has capacitive jog wheels, which, unlike the S2/S4 wheels, won't break because the switch dies over time.

If you buy a controller between $300 and $600, you are paying for features and bundled software you want. Don't think for a second though that you are paying for better quality between them. Choose based on what feels better for you. Personally, I would get the new N4, it smokes the S2 at less $$ in features and jog wheel quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've used both an S4 an a MixTrack Pro, and I thought the MixTrack both looked and felt much cheaper than the S4. The MixTrack will work as advertised, but I don't think it's fair to say its quality is on par with an S2/S4.