Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Lucifer is at least as good as Sandman if not better, but I'd read Sandman first. They're not really that connected but Sandman gives you a good idea of what you're gonna be reading, and it would be a drat shame to pass it up regardless, because it's also really good.

I actually read it when it was first pushed out as monthlies. The artwork was amazing, then suddenly went to complete poo poo and I couldnt be bothered continuing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

SynthOrange posted:

I actually read it when it was first pushed out as monthlies. The artwork was amazing, then suddenly went to complete poo poo and I couldnt be bothered continuing with it.

Which was amazing? Because the original Sandman Presents: :Lucifer was great art, but Peter Gross was on, I think, the entire run. If not, it was most of it, and I don't think the man has ever done anything that would justify being called "complete poo poo," but maybe you're not a fan of the cartoonish look to some of it?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Unwritten was as usual, superb. I hope you're all reading this or at least trade waiting.

Also, that Unexpected book from Vertigo had some excellent seeds in it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bairfanx posted:

Which was amazing? Because the original Sandman Presents: :Lucifer was great art, but Peter Gross was on, I think, the entire run. If not, it was most of it, and I don't think the man has ever done anything that would justify being called "complete poo poo," but maybe you're not a fan of the cartoonish look to some of it?

It was just so bland and lifeless compared to the initial artist that I dropped the title a few issues after this.

Here's a page from #1.

Then from #5 onwards you get wonky faces and awful inking everywhere:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Ah, Chris Weston. Yeah, his art wasn't too bad, but it really does come down to what you like, I think. Weston has a lot of linework, and if that's you're thing, then I could see the obvious complaint when Gross took over, as he does generally have a cartoony look to things. I don't really see any "wonky" faces, unless you mean the blonde, but I really do feel that's stretching it.

You're the only person I've heard describe Gross's art as something that was so bad as to keep you from reading a series you were enjoying, and it's a shame, because even if you hate the art, the writing on the series is generally quite good.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I have never heard Gross' art be called lifeless before. It's very good at conveying everything that needs to be said on a page, and his storytelling is amazing.

Pyros
Mar 24, 2003

The Leper Messiah

Witters posted:

This is hard to define, but most importantly in my dislike is that I found Azzarello's Constantine to be cynical, selfish and sadistic, and with little to no vulnerabilities. Case in point, in Hard Time where he makes fun of a young man who is repeatedly raped in prison, and his rise to power as the mad king of a prison run amok
Also, the magical element of the series in Azzarello seemed really off and tacked on. Take Hard Time again, where he does magic with cigarettes to turn some inmates crazy, or makes ground glass appear in food or makes a man appear to be a naked lady again with cigarettes. Seriously, what?

Carey couldn't have come sooner.

This was my biggest problem with Azzarello's run. Previously, whenever Constantine used magic, he needed to prepare, do some research, make a deal, or something like that. Or if he had to do it in a rush, something usually went wrong and there were repercussions. In Azzarello's stuff, John was magicing himself out of all sorts of situations with the slightest wave of his hand.

Christmas Jones posted:

I just finished reading Lucifer. I enjoyed it, with a few nitpicks. Like most Vertigo series, I'll probably appreciate it more on the reread. I did have a question I couldn't find an answer to anywhere else; did they ever say what happened to Gabriel? He seemed like such a central part of the mythology and a natural villain for the piece.

I don't recall them saying where he was in Lucifer, but I always assumed he wasn't used because in Hellblazer he was busy getting his heart ripped out and a few Hellblazer issues, including Carey's run, showed that both Lucifer and Hellblazer took place in the same universe.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery

bairfanx posted:

Ah, Chris Weston. Yeah, his art wasn't too bad, but it really does come down to what you like, I think. Weston has a lot of linework, and if that's you're thing, then I could see the obvious complaint when Gross took over, as he does generally have a cartoony look to things. I don't really see any "wonky" faces, unless you mean the blonde, but I really do feel that's stretching it.

You're the only person I've heard describe Gross's art as something that was so bad as to keep you from reading a series you were enjoying, and it's a shame, because even if you hate the art, the writing on the series is generally quite good.

I always kinda felt that Gross was doing a bad impression of Dean Ormston.

The only thing that's really wrong with his art, though, is that the colorist on Lucifer wasn't that good. His black and white stuff looks way better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pyros posted:

This was my biggest problem with Azzarello's run. Previously, whenever Constantine used magic, he needed to prepare, do some research, make a deal, or something like that. Or if he had to do it in a rush, something usually went wrong and there were repercussions. In Azzarello's stuff, John was magicing himself out of all sorts of situations with the slightest wave of his hand.

I don't recall them saying where he was in Lucifer, but I always assumed he wasn't used because in Hellblazer he was busy getting his heart ripped out and a few Hellblazer issues, including Carey's run, showed that both Lucifer and Hellblazer took place in the same universe.

Constantine was in Sandman and then Lucifer is a spin-off of that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Calling Peter Gross a bad artist? You are a horrible person and I hope terrible things happen to you.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Vertigo has been my entry point to comics, and holy hell has it been good.

I've devoured Preacher, Sandman, most of 100 Bullets and more, and am currently binging on Fables.

So far i've enjoyed it greatly, particularly the reveal of the adversary as Gepetto and the Homelands and Sons of Empire Arcs but I really didn't care for the issues in the 50's and 60's, particularly the Ambrose and Haven arc where he Tree-ifies the Wooden Soldiers

Does it pick up again? The adversary feels much less dangerous now that the grove and soldiers are wiped out and I didn't feel like Ambrose should've been the one to do it. Bigby blowing the hell out of the trees was much more :black101: After reading a lot of the praise in this thread about The Unwritten i've been debating ditching Fables, or at least taking a hiatus.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 19, 2011

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Fables really tapers off, you've already read the best of it. You're money is better spent on The Unwritten at this point.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

choobs posted:

Holy poo poo, yet, do it now. It's Lemire's best work, and I say that LOVING Sweet Tooth.

Essex County was really drat good. The characters drew me in and really pulled on my heartstrings. There's a lot of great heartwarming moments and some powerfully tragic moments as well, but nothing feels melodramatic.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cervixalot posted:

Does it pick up again?

Nah, this man :

Dacap posted:

Fables really tapers off

speaks truth.

Fables is one of the few Vertigo series I've given up on during reading.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Did the new Unwritten trade come out yet? Vol. 4? I'm a trade waiter and it's been killing me.

LCQC
Mar 19, 2009

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Did the new Unwritten trade come out yet? Vol. 4? I'm a trade waiter and it's been killing me.

Yeah, this week. Its sitting in my tfaw pull apparently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fables should have ended years ago but Willingham is Vertigo's Brian Bendis for some reason. They love him and he gets to do whatever he wants.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rhyno posted:

Fables should have ended years ago but Willingham is Vertigo's Brian Bendis for some reason. They love him and he gets to do whatever he wants.
Presumably because 1) Fables keeps selling and 2) comics with a steady profitable audience are pretty hard to come by so 3) why not keep publishing Fables until it stops making money.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

FMguru posted:

Presumably because 1) Fables keeps selling and 2) comics with a steady profitable audience are pretty hard to come by so 3) why not keep publishing Fables until it stops making money.

Because Vertigo generally has a reputation for not doing that?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

bairfanx posted:

Because Vertigo generally has a reputation for not doing that?
Vertigo has a reputation for letting the creators of successful series end them when they choose. Willingham seems to be milking it as much as possible. And I haven't read past the first trade but I'm assuming there's been no pressing creative need to keep the series going this far on.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Vertigo has a reputation for letting the creators of successful series end them when they choose. Willingham seems to be milking it as much as possible. And I haven't read past the first trade but I'm assuming there's been no pressing creative need to keep the series going this far on.

Pretty much. Once it's revealed who the adversary is and they win out the series kinda ran out of gas and now it's just aimlessly coasting.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
New Fables out.

So...yeah. Pretty boring stuff now. Lots of plotlines mixing together that seem to go nowhere. I hope Willingham introduces another hamfisted political commentary (Hey guys, Obama is a fable) so at least it's offensively entertaining.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Kaleidoscope posted:

Pretty much. Once it's revealed who the adversary is and they win out the series kinda ran out of gas and now it's just aimlessly coasting.

Yeah, its kind of hard to establish a threatening enemy when they already defeated the evil warlord with a dimension spanning empire. Especially when said enemy was already defeated by that warlord. Not to mention most of the character arcs were wrapped up.

Also, I dunno why people are so upset by the political commentary. It happened like 2 times, and both of them came from a character where it would make sense for him to say such things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, its kind of hard to establish a threatening enemy when they already defeated the evil warlord with a dimension spanning empire. Especially when said enemy was already defeated by that warlord. Not to mention most of the character arcs were wrapped up.

Also, I dunno why people are so upset by the political commentary. It happened like 2 times, and both of them came from a character where it would make sense for him to say such things.

The Israel thing and abortion thing were really unnecessary and really shoe horned. Also the idea that the society has no taxes and it survives just based off donations.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I just picked up the 100 bullets hardcover, and I am in love with this series. It's gorgeous through and through even when the first colorist is replaced. It's so good it makes me happy to be alive.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just read Spaceman. I loving love it. Are all issues going to be $1.00?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Rand alPaul posted:

I just read Spaceman. I loving love it. Are all issues going to be $1.00?

Pretty sure it is first issue only. Vertigo's done that before.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah this is there 'first taste's cheap' strategy and it has worked on me SO MANY TIMES :mad:.

Also yeah, it IS really good.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

StumblyWumbly posted:

Was Taters posted:

Yeah this is there 'first taste's cheap' strategy and it has worked on me SO MANY TIMES :mad:.

Also yeah, it IS really good.

They're like drug dealers! :argh:

I'll gladly pay the street price for this comic dope.

I really like the language.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think the first trade comes out quickly and is just a few bucks cheaper than most, too.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

I think the first trade comes out quickly and is just a few bucks cheaper than most, too.

For their long-running series, Vertigo usually has a $10 price tag on the first trade.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

bairfanx posted:

For their long-running series, Vertigo usually has a $10 price tag on the first trade.

Yep, they got me into Scalped that way!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

wildlele posted:

Yep, they got me into Scalped that way!

I just borrowed the latest Scalped trade from my friend, best series Vertigo's running at the moment, hands down.

Note that I am not up to date with Unwritten.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 31, 2011

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Books of Magic was always a pretty awesome series. I always felt like Harry Potter was completely ripped off from it, that Harry was really just a version of Tim Hunter that was allowed to be happy and go to an awesome wizard school instead of getting hosed with and manipulated by every adult in his entire life. That whole last storyline that ended the series was really cool, too, and Molly has probably always been my favorite character in comics. She got done wrong, though. The Books of Faerie and Books of Molly series/GNs were pretty cool as well.

I actually remember when the Vertigo imprint started, and back then comic book stores were wary to sell "adult" stuff to kids, but they knew my parents didn't care what I read, so they'd sell me all kinds of stuff they wouldn't sell anyone else. I must have been the only 12 year-old who read Sandman at that point.

edit: also Shade The Changing Man is thoroughly awesome, especially the covers and occasional issues illustrated by Brendan McCarthy. I have a full run of it stashed away somewhere, along with my run of The Invisibles.

Be Depressive fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 31, 2011

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I just borrowed the latest Scalped trade from my friend, best series Vertigo's running at the moment, hands down.

This is false, it is Unwritten by miles.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Was Taters posted:

You're probably right, I'm not up to date with it. The first trade was so good I read it twice by accident.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Was Taters posted:

I wouldn't say by miles but I would probably give the edge to Unwritten. Scalped #21 is one of my all time favorite single issues though.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Scalped is the better comic but Unwritten definitely has more imagination and probably even enjoyability.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
They are really hard to compare. It's like someone asking if you would prefer a nice steak dinner or a poo poo ton of alcohol. It probably depends on your mood. For me, Scalped always makes me wonder what will happen next, but the Unwritten always makes me wonder about what I just read, and I think that's indicative of a richer story.

On the other hand, I appreciate the way Scalped can be this white knuckle thrill ride while at the same time all these gangster genre archetypes completely bust away from their mold and get twisted and pulled through holes they don't normally go through. Reading that first trade I never thought that the badass poo poo kicking hero would crack so completely under the strain of his life and become a pathetic junkie desperately trying to figure out how to properly mourn, or that the cold crime boss would become an almost heroic figure who understands completely that he will not be forgiven for the violence he used to achieve what he feels is a great end. I never thought that Red Crow would be so drat sad. Scalped is really good.

On the other other hand, The Unwritten made me feel sympathy for the plight of a novel. Pretty loving hard to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Welp, just ordered Chew vol 1, Unwritten vol 1, and Atomic Robo vol 2 off of Amazon. Hope you're all happy that my money is just flying away. Like little green birdies.

(Vertigo is one of my favourite publishers. Them and Image.)

I wish there were more hardcovers though. I always dislike getting a bunch of TPB, and then soon after some hardcover collection comes out and I'm all :saddowns:

\/\/\/\/\/ gently caress. Hopefully I put in my cancellation early enough to Amazon.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Nov 2, 2011

• Locked thread