Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I tend to hide away from the girls, taking pictures from afar. I'm a fatty nerd.

You lot can probably see us from your porthole windows, it overlooks straight into our office!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Clown posted:

I tend to hide away from the girls, taking pictures from afar. I'm a fatty nerd.

You lot can probably see us from your porthole windows, it overlooks straight into our office!

I think I went in your building for a job interview once (though it might have been the block behind it). What a small world we live in!!

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
You applied for TfL?

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I'm talking too much. Have another street.

I liked the car and the no entry sign :P

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
Here are some people.

JCP111003-11 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCP111003-15 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCP111003-3 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCP111003-7 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

My Plustek arrived today so there'll be some gritty b&w street poo poo up on here soon.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

IMG_1098.jpg by Krakkles, on Flickr

IMG_1088.jpg by Krakkles, on Flickr

IMG_0994.jpg by Krakkles, on Flickr

DSC_0124.jpg by Krakkles, on Flickr

DSC_0013.jpg by Krakkles, on Flickr

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 14, 2011

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Streets.

DukeZepar
Nov 20, 2008

First time doing some street photography. Opinions?

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
Well I certainly wasn't brave enough to do face shots when I first did street! I probably would have liked a bit more context about why they were standing there, but I'm no expert :p

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

DukeZepar posted:

I think you should keep practicing. You succeeded in taking the picture, but failed in capturing a subject that was interesting enough to hold our attention. What made street photography great wasn't just getting the shots, but getting good shots. It was about timing and noticing small things we usually miss, like a look a person is giving someone else. Although she was an amateur and not really recognized until recently, I really think Vivian Maier did some of the best work. But Robert Frank, Cartier-Bresson, Martin Parr, Bruce Gilden, all did great work and set the bar very high. You should google these people and take a look at some of their shots. Their photos will help explain street photography better than I can in words, and I think you will see, after looking at their photos, why yours doesn't work. That is, if you don't mind comparing yourself to the pros.

What I find is a successful tactic, although admittedly I don't really do much "street photography" lately (more street portraiture), is to continually look for things. If I am heading downtown to a particular area or to this one street, I do it with my eyes open looking all around me as I walk, with almost the same intensity as though I was looking for something I'd lost. When I'm on a busy street I go slow and look at all the people around me and try and find things in the crowd that no one else can see because they're so busy.

So, in short, just practice more.

Here's one I took the other day that I liked but I don't think I got close enough to the subject and I don't think the message of frailty and loneliness (which is what I was going for) was conveyed strongly enough:

Here is one that I feel is more in line with the type of photographers I mentioned before, but my shadow is such a strong presence that I think it likely hurts the shot. Otherwise, I think he is sort of an interesting character and his pose and facial expression is memorable.

But I'm still practicing also.

Edit:

Schofferhofer posted:

JCP111003-15 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

My Plustek arrived today so there'll be some gritty b&w street poo poo up on here soon.

I think this one works great. Also, let us know how you like the Plustek because I hear it's halfway decent and it may be a good investment for my 35mm work later on.

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 14, 2011

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Clown posted:

Should I stop taking pictures of tramps?

I think taking pictures of tramps and bums and homeless without their permission is pretty bad. That's not to say I haven't done it because I got some high fives for taking a few in the past, but my feelings on it now are that it is pretty low brow. I mean, if you are doing a piece on The Homeless and you photograph homeless people with their permission and you are doing it for a cause, that's one thing. But otherwise, they are already an abused bunch and taking their photo makes them feel lovely and it's exploitative and an easy way to get a high five from somebody, but not really creative or special, so you shouldn't do it. That's just how I feel about it, others may disagree.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

DukeZepar posted:

I largely agree with Mannequin. One thing I would point out - if you'd captured the girl on the right on her own, it would have been a lot more interesting.

Mannequin posted:

Here's one I took the other day that I liked but I don't think I got close enough to the subject and I don't think the message of frailty and loneliness (which is what I was going for) was conveyed strongly enough:

Here is one that I feel is more in line with the type of photographers I mentioned before, but my shadow is such a strong presence that I think it likely hurts the shot. Otherwise, I think he is sort of an interesting character and his pose and facial expression is memorable.

But I'm still practicing also.
On the first one, I think you're right: It's an interesting shot, but it doesn't convey frailty and loneliness - quite the opposite, she looks quite self-assured and while not strong, certainly not frail.

In the second shot, watch your shadows. That's a great subject but that shadow absolutely ruins the shot.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 14, 2011

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

I would like regular doses of street photography inspiration. Do you guys have any recommendations for photo blogs, tumblrs, whatevers?

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I guess most of my shots are street - http://andrewdashb.tumblr.com.

I think you're right Mannequin about tramp shots. Sometimes I chuck them some pennies if I think they're genuine, but most of the times the tramps in London are looking for money for booze and drugs. I think I will limit myself and only take the photo if I think there is some kind of impact in the scene. Otherwise, they all look pretty much the same.

I am looking for one with a sign for the theme of 'Communication' though.

I would love feedback on my shots if anyone has time. I think I'm just trying to convey whatever is in front of me, so while the characters may not be interesting, they are just shots of 'real life'. I do notice that I revert back to my stark black and white mode when I don't know how to process it. Is this bad practice?

I've started to fiddle about with the uncontrasty unsaturated look, because I saw some cinematic style street shots and I thought the tones were awesome. I'm not sure I'm getting them quite right though.

Clown fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 14, 2011

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Clown posted:

I would love feedback on my shots if anyone has time. I think I'm just trying to convey whatever is in front of me, so while the characters may not be interesting, they are just shots of 'real life'.

Have you tried shooting with a wider angle lens? It looks like you're using your 135mm for a lot of the shots, at that focal length I feel as though the subjects need to be interesting because they're so detached from the surroundings.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

Clown posted:

Love this one. Great job.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I used to use my 50mm a lot. I guess I just liked playing with my new lens :)
I'm not sure if this counts as street photography.

Clown fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 14, 2011

Boiler
Dec 23, 2004
Shut up phone

Clown posted:

I like this one much better than the second one... the sense of movement around the outside of the frame, and the space around the subject really isolates her. Nice shot.

treble
Feb 14, 2001

IMG_8314 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9197 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_8412 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9409 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9351 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9341 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9484 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9470 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9453 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9581 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9586 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9678 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9955 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9830 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_9998 by trebbble, on Flickr

IMG_0273 by trebbble, on Flickr

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I thought those were all part of the same photoset and you made me wonder if there's a Tim Horton's in NYC :stare:

General Gingersnap
Jan 27, 2009

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Trying to jump right into this - any critiques (regarding anything at all - I am just getting into photography) would be appreciated. These were my first tries with a Canon AE-1 on manual aperature and some Ilford film. I have been lurking this thread pretty hard to try to see what makes something interesting, but it is easier looking at other people's pictures.

This bionic dog seemed to be catching people's eyes. I think it would have been more interesting if I had gotten more of the little girls scooter in the shot.

This guy. This guy gave me the dirtiest look as I was quickly focusing the shot - and I wish I had waited just a second more to shoot it, because I would have gotten that look. I think at this point, he had just realized that someone was looking at him with a camera.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mes
Apr 28, 2006

rio posted:

Trying to jump right into this - any critiques (regarding anything at all - I am just getting into photography) would be appreciated. These were my first tries with a Canon AE-1 on manual aperature and some Ilford film. I have been lurking this thread pretty hard to try to see what makes something interesting, but it is easier looking at other people's pictures.

This bionic dog seemed to be catching people's eyes. I think it would have been more interesting if I had gotten more of the little girls scooter in the shot.

This guy. This guy gave me the dirtiest look as I was quickly focusing the shot - and I wish I had waited just a second more to shoot it, because I would have gotten that look. I think at this point, he had just realized that someone was looking at him with a camera.

#1 - While the dog might be an interesting subject, there's not much that's really interesting happening in the frame. Everyone's back is to the camera, even the dog. I think you should have tired to capture people's reactions to the dog since you've noticed it was turning people's heads, but of course hindsight 20/20.

#2 - Way better than #1, it's obvious that there's something interesting happening to the left of the frame since it looks like the guy has his camera out, but I really want more context. I think it's not close enough to the two people, nor is it wide enough to capture the entire scene.

I think you're off to a good start though, especially if this is your very first attempt to get into street.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

treble posted:

*all of these pictures*
^I love them.

<B by pierogies, on Flickr

wind by pierogies, on Flickr

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Pierogi posted:

^I love them.

<B by pierogies, on Flickr

Not entirely sure why but this is just depressing as hell :unsmith: It's probably the grain, it just reminds me of the poor woman going home to some cold, stone cottage and wiling away the hours. Good photo though!

Here are some of mine, probably posted in SAD at some stage, mix of old and new. I'm annoyed at the amount of processing I think I have to do, but I like the look of film and I can't afford it.

Untitled by A Boat in Fallujah, on Flickr

The sinister man by A Boat in Fallujah, on Flickr

And What Do You Do? by A Boat in Fallujah, on Flickr

Patriohead by A Boat in Fallujah, on Flickr

Omnom by A Boat in Fallujah, on Flickr

Sing by A Boat in Fallujah, on Flickr

Even with a telephoto I still find pictures of people from the front scary to take. Even if they look in my direction I do a kind of pathetic "dum di dum just checking my camera works" and I shuffle off

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Aidan_702 posted:

Even with a telephoto I still find pictures of people from the front scary to take. Even if they look in my direction I do a kind of pathetic "dum di dum just checking my camera works" and I shuffle off

I guess I am lucky living in a foreign country, I can just small and they smile back and that is it. Or if I am unhappy with the picture, I can try and ask them to take it again haha. Really, just try smiling and giving them a nod. Some people will still be an rear end in a top hat and frown at you.

Another photographer said he likes to look like he is looking into the distance, and then he just walks away without looking at the person.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DSC_8961 by DarSevn, on Flickr

He is on the street (sidewalk), that counts, right?

DSC_8969 by DarSevn, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mest0r posted:

#1 - While the dog might be an interesting subject, there's not much that's really interesting happening in the frame. Everyone's back is to the camera, even the dog. I think you should have tired to capture people's reactions to the dog since you've noticed it was turning people's heads, but of course hindsight 20/20.

#2 - Way better than #1, it's obvious that there's something interesting happening to the left of the frame since it looks like the guy has his camera out, but I really want more context. I think it's not close enough to the two people, nor is it wide enough to capture the entire scene.

I think you're off to a good start though, especially if this is your very first attempt to get into street.

Thanks a lot for the critique! That really helps a whole lot It was my first go at it, and I'm looking forward to trying more of it.

If anyone has a sec, here the only other ones that I thought had any potential of being interesting, but again, don't feel comfortable judging my own pictures this early on.

This was another film shot, I didn't know if all of that out of focus material in the middle was cool or just a waste of space.

The second is one that I liked initially (taken with my wife's camera), but seems boring now. I tried cropping it into a couple of other configurations, but just left it as-is.

I will go back to learning from other's posts after this, and come back to post more after I feel like I have grown more.

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST

rio posted:

Is this guy outside the Met? He looks familiar but I'm never that far uptown so I can't remember.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

^ Yup - about a block down the street from the Met.

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

Sevn posted:

He is on the street (sidewalk), that counts, right?

Explanation required...?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

tween_spirit posted:

Is this guy outside the Met? He looks familiar but I'm never that far uptown so I can't remember.

I was about to ask the same question! ha ha :)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I thought those were all part of the same photoset and you made me wonder if there's a Tim Horton's in NYC :stare:

But there is a Tim's in new York

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
More "street"

DSC_8879 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_8970 by DarSevn, on Flickr

DSC_8943 by DarSevn, on Flickr

Sevn fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 20, 2011

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

treble posted:

IMG_9351 by trebbble, on Flickr

I absolutely love this shot. The angle is perfect -- I know I'm at risk for one of the worst out of context quotes ever here, but the way the fountains line up with his crotch, the way he's being absolutely mobbed over by (her? him? it?), and the fact that the seagull is looking the other way, it all spells out awkward sexual release in public. This shot is something I'd kill for in a romantic comedy where you've got a guy awkwardly blowing it too early on a first date; I'm sure it wasn't what you were going for, but goddammit I laughed too hard. The framing and timing of this shot is just too funny.

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010
More film scanned on the Plustek:

JCPBessaTriX400push1600Roll2-5 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCPMINOLTATRIX400ROLLMin-A-1 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCPMINOLTATRIX400ROLLMin--2 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCPBESSADELTA400ROLL1-3 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCPBessaTriX400push1600Roll2-17 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

JCPBessaTriX400push1600Roll2-6 by Joshy Woshy, on Flickr

Mostly shot my Bessa R3A

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
With all the black and white and noisy pictures I do, you'd think I should just do it properly, get a film camera and learn how to do it for real. Here's one I've just processed.

Occupy London. by Clwn, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I've never done street photography before, but here are a few of my very first attempts, in Tokyo:

Asakusa by hookshot88, on Flickr

Waiting for the Train by hookshot88, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Child in Haridwar by damnlamb, on Flickr

Man by damnlamb, on Flickr

Street by damnlamb, on Flickr