Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sash! posted:

Although maybe I'm starting down the path to destroying my other knee, like skiing did to the right one.

Ice skating is relatively easy on joints, assuming you avoid full speed runs into the boards.

Once I put pads on I feel invincible, impacts get fully absorbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

D C posted:

I loved those things. I would walk into a sporting goods store and just marvel at the row of sexiness.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

WouldDesk posted:

I loved those things. I would walk into a sporting goods store and just marvel at the row of sexiness.

I wish they could somehow make carbon sticks that shiny and awesome.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I'm using an 87 two piece combo. I could probably go down to 77 flex and improve my wrist shot velocity more but 77 flex is usually only an option for a higher end shafts and blade combos. I just recently started playing with a full composite shaft and blade, I was using ABS blades before because we still would play some outdoor every now and then. Anyone have any feedback on how durable the comp blades are with normal wear and tear? I'm hesitant to jump into the higher priced bracket of sticks because its only beer league

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

zinc68 posted:

Honestly, correct.

No, not correct at all. No one over about 5'5" should be using an intermediate flex stick.

Really, the physics of stick flexing is misunderstood by a lot of people. While yes it is super cool to see slo-mo shots of guys with their stick bent in half, the difference between flexes really comes down to feel much more than any real performance difference. You're right that the average beer leaguer might not be able to flex a 120 stick very much, but bear in it only has to be deflected half the distance of a 67 flex stick to load the same amount of energy. Once you have the basic technique mastered, even someone of average size/strength (me) can do this just fine.

The reason why players use whippier sticks is so they can feel the stick flex, not because it shoots any harder.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I use a intermediate because cutting any senior stick in 75/85 flex to my proper height (I'm 5'9") ends up making it 100-110, which is way too stiff for my liking. The TotalOne intermediate is a perfect length for me, so I don't need to cut or extend it at all.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

bewbies posted:

No, not correct at all. No one over about 5'5" should be using an intermediate flex stick.

Really, the physics of stick flexing is misunderstood by a lot of people. While yes it is super cool to see slo-mo shots of guys with their stick bent in half, the difference between flexes really comes down to feel much more than any real performance difference. You're right that the average beer leaguer might not be able to flex a 120 stick very much, but bear in it only has to be deflected half the distance of a 67 flex stick to load the same amount of energy. Once you have the basic technique mastered, even someone of average size/strength (me) can do this just fine.

The reason why players use whippier sticks is so they can feel the stick flex, not because it shoots any harder.

Ahh no, thats not really how shooting works, nor is it why good shooters use whippy sticks (its the in-stride release power you can get with a whippy stick over a 100+)

Nick Cage
Dec 5, 2005

ROCK & ROLL GAS STATION

xzzy posted:

Ice skating is relatively easy on joints, assuming you avoid full speed runs into the boards.

I can vouch for this, I can't run on solid ground because of bum knees but I can skate hard for an hour no problem. That's probably one of the reasons there are NHL players well into their 30s.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

bewbies posted:

A 100 flex stick does not store more energy than a 67 flex, it's just less flimsy and more accurate because of that. Less 'wobble'. Does a piece of plywood spring you higher in the air in place of a trampoline mat? No. Just because more energy is required to flex the stick does not mean there is more energy stored. You should use whatever stick is the stiffest that you can use the maximum amount of flex with. A stick 'twice as stiff' does not store 'twice as much' energy, that's kind of an absurd thought, otherwise you're claiming that guys like Kessel above's shots have 33% less energy behind them than the guys who use 100 flex in the NHL. Which is basically telling me that you're saying professional hockey players opt to have shots nearly half as strong as they could be, purposely.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

toxicsunset posted:

A 100 flex stick does not store more energy than a 67 flex, it's just less flimsy and more accurate because of that. Less 'wobble'. Does a piece of plywood spring you higher in the air in place of a trampoline mat? No. Just because more energy is required to flex the stick does not mean there is more energy stored. You should use whatever stick is the stiffest that you can use the maximum amount of flex with. A stick 'twice as stiff' does not store 'twice as much' energy, that's kind of an absurd thought, otherwise you're claiming that guys like Kessel above's shots have 33% less energy behind them than the guys who use 100 flex in the NHL. Which is basically telling me that you're saying professional hockey players opt to have shots nearly half as strong as they could be, purposely.

Are you trying to disagree with me? I think you just repeated what I wrote but I'm not sure.

edit - on second reading:

quote:

Just because more energy is required to flex the stick does not mean there is more energy stored.

I'm no physicist but I'm pretty sure Hooke's Law disagrees with you.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 16, 2011

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

toxicsunset posted:

I think you might have a poor understanding of energy, also you're toxicsunset. A 100 flex stick will store more energy at some deflection than a 65 flex would at the same deflection. Energy is equal to half the spring constant (flex) times the square of the deflection. The spring model is a really easy and applicable model in this case.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

If only someone had taken the time to write a paper on the influence of shaft stiffness on potential energy and puck speed during wrist and slap shots in ice hockey.

See also.

Unrelated but...

Riddle me this, Batman. Why does every team have to have one or two guys who just make you go :ughh: when it comes to generally being shitheads on the ice. Tonight we had one of our best players flatten a guy for, as far as I could tell, no reason whatsoever (He got 5 minutes. I was rather surprised he didn't get the game).

Of course then the other team surfaces two or three guys that begin talking all kinds of poo poo to anyone who'll listen. I was actually amazed the game didn't get much chippier, but I had my head on a swivel for the rest of the 3rd.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Dangerllama posted:

If only someone had taken the time to write a paper on the influence of shaft stiffness on potential energy and puck speed during wrist and slap shots in ice hockey.

See also.

Unrelated but...

Riddle me this, Batman. Why does every team have to have one or two guys who just make you go :ughh: when it comes to generally being shitheads on the ice. Tonight we had one of our best players flatten a guy for, as far as I could tell, no reason whatsoever (He got 5 minutes. I was rather surprised he didn't get the game).

Of course then the other team surfaces two or three guys that begin talking all kinds of poo poo to anyone who'll listen. I was actually amazed the game didn't get much chippier, but I had my head on a swivel for the rest of the 3rd.

It is possible to flatten a guy in a legitimate way. Who was the player in this situation?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

mookface posted:

It is possible to flatten a guy in a legitimate way. Who was the player in this situation?

Yes, under specific circumstances, it's possible to set a collision. Why would you want to do that? Other team talking about someone's mama? Being chippy in the corners? Pure retaliation?

Beer league hockey "justice" is just ridiculous.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 16, 2011

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

At this one drop-in I used to go to, there was this one kid who tried to start a fight--for seemingly no reason--every game. Fighting in a beer league is dumb enough, but drop-in?

oddIXIbbo here went to the same drop-in, don't know if he remembers the guy.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors
Boarded by a fat dude in beer league, sprained (thankfully not fractured according to xrays) ankle, 4 days of crutches and then I can start strengthening exercises. Think I'll be good to go as long as I wrap it really well on Friday? S'pose I should see the doc for an evaluation Thursday. I was so excited to start a skills clinic Tuesday morning too, boooooooo.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Dangerllama posted:

We have a couple guys that are pretty much guaranteed to take dumb "retaliation" penalties every game. I put retaliation in quotes because no one else ever seems to notice the original perceived attack that ends with them boarding someone or slashing the poo poo out of the other goalie behind the play.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The only penalties I ever get are for interference when I try to get away with a pick and roll.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Thufir posted:

We have a couple guys that are pretty much guaranteed to take dumb "retaliation" penalties every game. I put retaliation in quotes because no one else ever seems to notice the original perceived attack that ends with them boarding someone or slashing the poo poo out of the other goalie behind the play.

Usually the original offense is something super egregious like, "I was going to go by the guy and he lifted my stick!!!" :argh:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Lawnie posted:

I think you might have a poor understanding of energy, also you're toxicsunset. A 100 flex stick will store more energy at some deflection than a 65 flex would at the same deflection. Energy is equal to half the spring constant (flex) times the square of the deflection. The spring model is a really easy and applicable model in this case.

Hooke's Law requires the same spring be used for proportionality to be preserved. Different flex sticks have different spring constants. It's not taking one spring and stretching or compressing it further, it's taking two seperate springs made of two seperate materials and expecting them to behave as if they were identical. I'm a loving engineer. The above research proves my point, and even moreso than I originally thought(that they would be about equal), and in fact claims more flexible sticks can preserve MORE energy than the stiffer ones.

Edit: And Flex is NOT the spring constant. It's a mostly arbitrary number. It used to have some kind of meaning but I'm pretty sure it's out the window by now and companies assign the values by feel. A 100 flex stick is not "twice as stiff" as a 50 flex stick, for example.

Edit2:
Oh hey that second link dangerllama posted has a fun chart that actually shows this

toxicsunset fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 16, 2011

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
You also have to consider the time over which the energy loaded onto the stick is imparted to the puck (appropriately, power). A stiffer stick, which flexes less, is going to recover faster. So even if it absorbes the same, or more, energy, if its release distribution isn't in resonance with the mechanics of the shot, then much of it will be wasted. That's one easy way to explain why whippier sticks, which have recovery times closer to the time it takes to complete a wrist shot, are better for wrist shots.

As that article pointed out, any assessment of the efficacy of various stick types is going to have to take into account biomechanics along with the physical properties of the sticks themselves.

Green Submarine fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 16, 2011

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Green Submarine posted:

You also have to consider the time over which the energy loaded onto the stick is imparted to the puck (appropriately, power). A stiffer stick, which flexes less, is going to recover faster. So even if it absorbes the same, or more, energy, if its release distribution isn't in resonance with the mechanics of the shot, then much of it will be wasted. That's one easy way to explain why whippier sticks, which have recovery times closer to the time it takes to complete a wrist shot, are better for wrist shots.

As that article pointed out, any assessment of the efficacy of various stick types is going to have to take into account biomechanics along with the physical properties of the sticks themselves.

All I was trying to say was that the idea that '120 flex' needs to be loaded 'half as far' to get the same amount of energy as a 60 flex stick was incorrect. I agree with everything you said, though

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

toxicsunset posted:

Edit: And Flex is NOT the spring constant. It's a mostly arbitrary number. It used to have some kind of meaning but I'm pretty sure it's out the window by now and companies assign the values by feel. A 100 flex stick is not "twice as stiff" as a 50 flex stick, for example.

It isn't arbitrary, it is the amount of force pounds it takes to deflect the stick an inch. Ie, a 100 flex stick takes twice as much force to deflect an inch as a 50 flex stick, assuming stick length is identical. This measurement is still applicable (we used to test it), although it has gotten more complicated in recent years because manufacturers can now modify the way sticks load ("kickpoint" alterations).

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

bewbies posted:

It isn't arbitrary, it is the amount of force pounds it takes to deflect the stick an inch. Ie, a 100 flex stick takes twice as much force to deflect an inch as a 50 flex stick, assuming stick length is identical. This measurement is still applicable (we used to test it), although it has gotten more complicated in recent years because manufacturers can now modify the way sticks load ("kickpoint" alterations).

Green Submarine
Oct 21, 2000

There will come soft rains...
Those aren't incompatible points. Just because two sticks need the same amount of weight to deflect them one inch, doesn't mean they take the same amount of weight to deflect them two inches, for instance. That will depend on stick length, materials, construction, shaft shape, etc. While flex ratings aren't "arbitrary," they are highly capricious.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

toxicsunset posted:

The above research proves my point, and even moreso than I originally thought(that they would be about equal), and in fact claims more flexible sticks can preserve MORE energy than the stiffer ones.
This is in fact possible, simply because at a certain level of force and/or energy, the energy goes into breaking the stick instead of whipping it back. Also, the speed of the whip is more important than the energy released by it, and does not necessarily scale with energy so much as with flex/material.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I like flex. It makes the puck go fast.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
http://youtu.be/v1HUUJxZtJU

RazorDX
Nov 7, 2008

Dangerllama posted:

One game our captain brought in a sub that could have qualified as a ringer. He had played ECHL, and this is E league. Half of these guys have never skated before. The sub scores no goals, but racks up 14 penalty minutes. We only have 12 minute periods, and our team combined had 2 minutes in the 3 games prior.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

RazorDX posted:

One game our captain brought in a sub that could have qualified as a ringer. He had played ECHL, and this is E league. Half of these guys have never skated before. The sub scores no goals, but racks up 14 penalty minutes. We only have 12 minute periods, and our team combined had 2 minutes in the 3 games prior.

Do you remember what the calls were? I know I usually take more penalties playing lower because people cant skate. In the higher league I can lift someones stick and take the puck without any issues.. In the lower league sometimes they fall and I get called for it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Had a fun game tonight against a team we were pretty evenly matched with. It's a lot better than getting blown out by the teams way better than us that are in our league for some reason. Their goalie was really tall and was pretty much shutting us down until one of our defensemen walked it in and beat him high blocker side to tie it with 3 minutes left in the third. Then we gave up a breakaway and our goalie came out almost to the blueline to make an incredible sliding poke check with like a minute left and it ended in a tie.

I think I was actually over 50% on faceoffs too :toot:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Welp, looks like I get thrust into the worst time of the year to buy new skates.

Took a shot off of the toe, didn't hurt terribly bad, but felt like i had rocks in my skate that were digging into my feet. Turns out the top of my toe (plastic) cracked and the pieces were in my skate. I skated the rest of the game but obviously this won't last.

The hole is basically where my foot is, and the crack runs from the right all the way to the edge.

13 years is a good life for skates, but I am loving bummed.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 17, 2011

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

Welp, looks like I get thrust into the worst time of the year to buy new skates.

Took a shot off of the toe, didn't hurt terribly bad, but felt like i had rocks in my skate that were digging into my feet. Turns out the top of my toe (plastic) cracked and the pieces were in my skate. I skated the rest of the game but obviously this won't last.

The hole is basically where my foot is, and the crack runs from the right all the way to the edge.

13 years is a good life for skates, but I am loving bummed.

Oh wow. Hey, on the bright side a 13 year gap will probably mean you'll notice a real difference in skate performance with whatever you get.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah but what to choose? How can I find pro stock skates at the beginning of the season?

Bewbies stole the last pair of pro stock TotalOnes on ebay in my size. Vapor APXs? The MLX reviews on ModSquad have scared me off and I honestly have no idea how to describe my foot and what I like/need in skates because it has been over a decade since I've thought about it.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

Yeah but what to choose? How can I find pro stock skates at the beginning of the season?

Bewbies stole the last pair of pro stock TotalOnes on ebay in my size. Vapor APXs? The MLX reviews on ModSquad have scared me off and I honestly have no idea how to describe my foot and what I like/need in skates because it has been over a decade since I've thought about it.

You know, if it works on your foot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Haha 13 year old skates? Those things are probably heavy as gently caress.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Thufir posted:

You know, if it works on your foot.

By the way, I absolutely love mine, so much better to skate in then the TotalOnes

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

The last thing you want (probably) is prostock skates. They are pretty much all weird sizes. Just go to your local store and try on everything until you find something that fits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Haha 13 year old skates? Those things are probably heavy as gently caress.

There's an old dude in my learn-to-play that has skates with steel holders.. he said he packed all his gear in a box in 1978, and hadn't touched it since this year when he started skating again.

Being heavy doesn't seem to slow him down, he looks pretty good out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

Most stores have those little sizer things for each brand of skate. Go try stuff on :)