Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone know of a way to reduce police spawn rates in TBoGT? I like seeing how long I can survive a full-out firefight with the cops, but looking down the street and seeing, literally, a line of incoming cars as far as the draw distance allows makes it just stupid. I'd like to cut their spawns by fifty percent or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Rockstar is honoring the tenth anniversary of GTA3 by releasing it on iOS and Android. They're also making a pretty badass Claude action figure for the low low price of $150:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/19201/announcing-grand-theft-auto-iii-10th-anniversary-edition-for-sel.html

I was surprised to realize it's already been ten years since GTA3. It still is the only game that's ever blown me away when I first played it. I didn't have a PS2 at the time, so my first time playing it was at a friend's place. I remember thinking "You can just get in ANY car?!" The concept of a sandbox game was foreign to me, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever that you could just do whatever you wanted. I bought it as soon as it was released on PC and even though it ran like garbage on my family's computer, I put a ton of hours into it.

edit: Announce GTAV already, rockstar. Thanks.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 15, 2011

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was playing through TBOGT for the first time the other day and had a Tony mission where I had to stickybomb a crane, a train, and god knows what after that, because I incorrectly assumed that the train would stop at the station right after it appeared, so I got out of my car. MISTAKE. "The train got away."

ALL I HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN, CJ :suicide:

Just for that, I uninstalled the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
GTA3 is still my favorite GTA so to see Rockstar give it 10 year anniversary treatment, and for loving ios/android only makes me want to cry.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Have fun playing GTA with no buttons. :downs:

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

wa27 posted:

Rockstar is honoring the tenth anniversary of GTA3 by releasing it on iOS and Android.

I hope they can get it to work with the iPhone 4/Touch 4G, right now it'll only work with the 4S and the iPad 2 :(

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Cool poster.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Himuro posted:

GTA3 is still my favorite GTA so to see Rockstar give it 10 year anniversary treatment, and for loving ios/android only makes me want to cry.

For what it's worth, Rockstar posted this comment on the article in response to some people with the same complaint:

quote:

@LightPhoenixNL @johnc7311 @gytis1232 @Texel17 In case you missed when we stated it before, we do plan to bring Grand Theft Auto III to additional devices, the ones in the article are all we're able to confirm at this time, no new info to pass along right now
That might just mean more mobile devices though. I'd love to see a re-release of GTA3 with sharper textures and a San Andreas-style control scheme on XBLA or something.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I'd like a HD release of the 5 games in the "III" series, so long as they add the improvements from the later series retroactively (like auto-save between missions, not losing your weapons when you die, and better aiming system)

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Cage posted:

Cool poster.

drat cool.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Spalec posted:

I'd like a HD release of the 5 games in the "III" series, so long as they add the improvements from the later series retroactively (like auto-save between missions, not losing your weapons when you die, and better aiming system)

not losing your weapons makes dying trivial though. I wouldn't mind if you got to keep them if you get busted though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

MrJacobs posted:

not losing your weapons makes dying trivial though. I wouldn't mind if you got to keep them if you get busted though.

How does it make dying trivial exactly? All you'd be doing when you're revived is head to Ammunation anyways. It's just cutting out the middle man and letting you keep your stuff.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Spalec posted:

I wouldn't be surprised at all if this was somehow in the pipeline. The Vice City mod in the IV engine looks gorgeous, and I would bet that Rockstar has at least considered remaking the trilogy in the new engine.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
This might be the thing that gets me to upgrade my iPod touch. I want to see how they'll handle the controls, though; Chinatown Wars' controls were about as complex as you can reasonably get on a touchscreen but it didn't let you manually cycle through targets, which is workable in Chinatown Wars but could easily become a nightmare in GTA3.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cliff Racer posted:

Have fun playing GTA with no buttons. :downs:

On Android tablets you can plug in any PC game controller ...

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I am so annoyed at the camera options in the video editor. I wish there was a way to just use the mouse to record your own movements, so you could literally just move around freely while the action goes on and record it that way. Does anyone know of any mods to the video editor that improve functionality? I haven't seen any, and I doubt they exist, but I sure hope so.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

The Orange Mage posted:

I was playing through TBOGT for the first time the other day and had a Tony mission where I had to stickybomb a crane, a train, and god knows what after that, because I incorrectly assumed that the train would stop at the station right after it appeared, so I got out of my car. MISTAKE. "The train got away."

ALL I HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE drat TRAIN, CJ :suicide:

Just for that, I uninstalled the game.

I was more cynical and assumed the train would not stop, but flipped the car at the part where you enter the subway. "The train got away." gently caress cars, man.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I had a blast playing Chinatown Wars on an ipod touch and would love to do the same with GTA3.

I can't believe that came out 10 goddamn years ago. Also that I was so much more excited about Metal Gear Solid 2 that I didn't pick up GTA3 until after Christmas.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrJacobs posted:

Your post makes absolutely no sense. Die and go to a hospital, the hospital takes all your weapons. Get arrested, pay bail and the police give back all your weapons. Dying is suppposed to be a monetary penalty, arrest is supposed to be a monetary and weapon penalty.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

MrJacobs posted:

Good. Let me take a money hit so buying ammo for my (presumably used) weapons is little harder, but if I buy the tools I've saved up for in order to wreak havoc on my little virtual world, I'm gonna keep those suckers.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

csidle posted:

I am so annoyed at the camera options in the video editor. I wish there was a way to just use the mouse to record your own movements, so you could literally just move around freely while the action goes on and record it that way. Does anyone know of any mods to the video editor that improve functionality? I haven't seen any, and I doubt they exist, but I sure hope so.

The video editor's camera functions are by far the best of any such system in a game. You just need to learn how to use it, it's REALLY good.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The death penalty in these sorts of games has never really mattered much to me since I usually just reload my last save. Of course growing up on Sierra adventure games got me in the habit of saving before every mission and maintaining at least 10-12 save files so I can go back if necessary.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BGrifter posted:

The death penalty in these sorts of games has never really mattered much to me since I usually just reload my last save. Of course growing up on Sierra adventure games got me in the habit of saving before every mission and maintaining at least 10-12 save files so I can go back if necessary.

You and me both, though I've never gone back. Once expansions started coming out, I started limiting myself to three saves.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Your post makes absolutely no sense. Die and go to a hospital, the hospital takes all your weapons. Get arrested, pay bail and the police give back all your weapons. Dying is suppposed to be a monetary penalty, arrest is supposed to be a monetary and weapon penalty.

I liked the Vice city stories system, where you buy back your weapons after being busted/wasted for a fee. It saves you having to run back to ammu-nation and spend ages stocking back up, still penalizes you for dying and even has story justification (corrupt cops/hospital officials)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Dieing has never affected me since I don't play this games without cheats ever. I don't know how people can play without cheats you're all crazy.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I liked losing all your weapons when you die. It makes you that much more of a bad rear end when you have all the guns unlocked at your safe house.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Save and reload supremacy! Honestly, I just hate having to re-find all the rare or expensive weapons that aren't available at Ammu-nation.

I really hope whoever does the 10th anniversary GTA3 port doesn't just stick a virtual controller on the screen, because games that do that almost universally suck. I'm not that hopeful though :smith:

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
If you're getting busted in GTA4 you're doing it wrong. Never let them take you alive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only way to get arrested is to have one or two stars and if you can't get away with one or two stars, you're really bad at the game.

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

wa27 posted:

For what it's worth, Rockstar posted this comment on the article in response to some people with the same complaint:

That might just mean more mobile devices though. I'd love to see a re-release of GTA3 with sharper textures and a San Andreas-style control scheme on XBLA or something.

This is what I'm hoping for as well, keeping my fingers crossed that they'll eventually get it on PSN and XBLA.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I didn't mind losing weapons in the III era games because it qames since it was so easy to get more, but its a real pain in IV, especially when just starting out.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Martian Buddy posted:

This is what I'm hoping for as well, keeping my fingers crossed that they'll eventually get it on PSN and XBLA.

GTA3 and Vice City as a re-release on XBLA and PSN would be glorious. I'd pay 1200 of Microsoft's space points for each of them.

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

moms pubis posted:

This might be the thing that gets me to upgrade my iPod touch

The poo poo of it is though that, according to the info they've released, not even the latest ipod touch (the one with the cameras) will be able to play it, only the iphone 4s and the ipad 2.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I always figured music licensing would doom any re-release of the GTA PS2 games. GTA3 is probably an exception because they created all the radio stations themselves except for the public domain classical channel and the one that has the soundtrack to Scarface.

It's a shame that while they are all backwards compatible, playing any of them on a 360 + HDTV looks like rear end.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Have they announced a date for the mobile release yet?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Epileper posted:

The poo poo of it is though that, according to the info they've released, not even the latest ipod touch (the one with the cameras) will be able to play it, only the iphone 4s and the ipad 2.
I believe they have said those are the only currently confirmed platforms and hope to add more in the future.
Edit: oh, I'm just paraphrasing something said 10ish posts above.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The video editor's camera functions are by far the best of any such system in a game. You just need to learn how to use it, it's REALLY good.
No, they're good and certainly among the best of ingame cinema tools, but that doesn't mean they're great. The fact that you can't have a hand held camera mode where you make your own camera tracks is very limiting. The blend function is also pretty inconsistent and unsmooth. The mode is pretty flawed in many ways and you can't just dismiss that as saying that I don't know how to use it. That said, if there are guides out there that discuss pulling off various techniques using the tools, you're welcome to forward them here. I've got a lot of ideas for shots that I want to make, mostly action-oriented, but I expect them to require me shooting the scene several times and get various angles, using ingame camera angles -- shooting an action scene with the first person camera, for example, to achieve a true handheld feel, as well as shooting a car chase sequence in part by literally using a camera car that follows the 'actor' cars.

csidle fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 16, 2011

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
How on earth is gta3 gonna play on a friggin iPhone ?!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Probably by having a circle with a dot in the middle for the analog sticks, and then buttons representing the buttons needed. Either that or they will redo the game to work with fewer inputs. Either way, it's going to suck, all phone games do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Cojawfee posted:

Either way, it's going to suck, all phone games do.

Pretty much, there's no way it will be fun/intuitive, I remember seeing the BF3 game being played by a dev, and even he was like 'welp, this sucks'

• Locked thread