Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Had an interesting commute into work today...got pulled over for drag racing with some idiot in a truck.

Merging onto the interstate, make my way over to the left lane to get around people that can't merge in the other two. rear end in a top hat in the truck decides that looks like a good idea so he flys over to the left lane and onto my rear end, right in front of a cop.

Long story short after 3 attempts the truck figured out we were both being pulled over and stopped. Once the officer realized we weren't racing and the guy in the truck was just an idiot we were let go.

Made for a fun conversation, mostly talking about how stupid people drive and talking about what motorcycles we ride. Heck of a way to start the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Hey guys I got another question for you all. Where can I find parts for the old 250cc I4 engines Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha used to put in their bikes in the 80s and 90s? I know they are pretty rare in the US but don't need the whole bike, just the engines (in fact only from the cylinders and up). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
eBay from Australia. We're probably the biggest market for them outside of Japan.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

2ndclasscitizen posted:

eBay from Australia. We're probably the biggest market for them outside of Japan.

After a bit of searching I found that Ebay Australia doesn't have any of the engines.

Edit: Oh god there are two question threads? Should I post my question in the other as well?

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 14, 2011

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

this one is "Motorcycle Discussion Thread I: Less questions and more chatting" so it's more for chatting, and less for questions.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rcman50166 posted:

After a bit of searching I found that Ebay Australia doesn't have any of the engines.

Might have to try eBay Japan then.

e: http://www.motorcyclewreckers.com/honda/1989/honda_cbr250_mc19_1989_h424.htm

e2: They've got quite a few CBRs http://www.motorcyclewreckers.com/bikes_honda.htm

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 14, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

rcman50166 posted:

Hey guys I got another question for you all. Where can I find parts for the old 250cc I4 engines Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha used to put in their bikes in the 80s and 90s? I know they are pretty rare in the US but don't need the whole bike, just the engines (in fact only from the cylinders and up). Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If this is for the Formula stuff, for the love of god, don't do it.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Z3n posted:

If this is for the Formula stuff, for the love of god, don't do it.

Well I can't say that it isn't for it. Yea I know it's probably a bad idea, but at this point I'm not building a first place car. There are too many teams with too much money that would easily outdo me. If I wanted a first place car, I would use a single cylinder engine and a ton of carbon fiber. Plus what I want to do is cooler anyways. It might look something like this

If it will make you feel better, I am designing the car to use different engines if it fails.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

rcman50166 posted:

Well I can't say that it isn't for it. Yea I know it's probably a bad idea, but at this point I'm not building a first place car. There are too many teams with too much money that would easily outdo me. If I wanted a first place car, I would use a single cylinder engine and a ton of carbon fiber. Plus what I want to do is cooler anyways. It might look something like this

If it will make you feel better, I am designing the car to use different engines if it fails.

It's not really that...it's just that you're looking at an engine with no real technical support available in the US. If you use something more traditional, you're gonna have loads of resource available for what sort of tuning you want to shoot for, overcoming the issues that dropping one in a car frame is going to have, etc.

It's not a matter of getting first place or not, it's a matter of minimizing the potential difficulties involved and letting you focus on the more important things. Most modern engines will work great "out of the box" with minimal modification, a 10-20 year old 250 I4 that was likely abused all day long with no parts availability in the US? Not a very good choice.

Hell, if you're relatively local, I have a GSX-R engine and I believe most of the assorted electronics sitting under my bench right now that you could have for cheap.

Edit: This might sound kind of weird...but the engine is pretty much the least important part. When you're talking about designing something from pretty much the ground up, the only thing that the engine needs to do is run and make a reasonable amount of usable power...besides that, light weight, and good suspension setup, design, and tuning are FAR more important. You can have the most incredible engine in the world, but speed is found in suspension, setup, and power usability...I wouldn't wish one of those 250 I4 4ts on ANYONE who's racing a car. Wrong design, wrong application, compounded by lack of availability and technical knowhow.

There's a part of me that's all :neckbeard: about the idea because I love those bikes and engines, but I really think it's a bad choice for your application :(

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 14, 2011

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I'm with z3n here, find yourself something widely produced, and preferrably a few years old (so there will be online communities who have already hacked and tuned it and found the right combinations and settings. Don't give yourself too much work, focus on making the chassis better.

I wonder how the 690 series LC4 would fair...

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm with z3n here, find yourself something widely produced, and preferrably a few years old (so there will be online communities who have already hacked and tuned it and found the right combinations and settings. Don't give yourself too much work, focus on making the chassis better.

I wonder how the 690 series LC4 would fair...

I don't disagree with you guys here. I know there are easier and more practical ways. However, I am only doing this to get a better understanding of engines and the design process. I'm going to be designing the engine block in Solidworks and getting it verified by professionals and then getting it sent out for machining. The people I will be working with will be more than capable of reproducing parts that break if I can't find replacements.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

rcman50166 posted:

I don't disagree with you guys here. I know there are easier and more practical ways. However, I am only doing this to get a better understanding of engines and the design process. I'm going to be designing the engine block in Solidworks and getting it verified by professionals and then getting it sent out for machining. The people I will be working with will be more than capable of reproducing parts that break if I can't find replacements.

Start with something more modern then, because there's huge differences between the engines designed 20+ years ago and those designed 5 years ago. Seriously amazing differences, thanks to improvements in metalurgy and everything else. Disassembling my 93 ZX6E and an 06 ZX6R showed some incredible differences in design and application.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The past 24 hours I have seen two particular things, one good, one bad, didn't have time to take a pic of either.

Bad: Quad bike (or ATV, what do you call it?) with 17" shiny rims and low profile tires.

Good: Baby blue Vespa with what looked like a homemade two wheel trailer, carrying some small planks, perhaps new moldings.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Ola posted:

The past 24 hours I have seen two particular things, one good, one bad, didn't have time to take a pic of either.

Bad: Quad bike (or ATV, what do you call it?) with 17" shiny rims and low profile tires.

Good: Baby blue Vespa with what looked like a homemade two wheel trailer, carrying some small planks, perhaps new moldings.

Until you see a quad on 44s with tires < 1" thick, you haven't seen big rims on anything.

Some of the lowrider shows around here get positively silly. There was a stretched 'busa with a 33" rear. It looked like a chrome 1850s wagon wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

My respect for any given biker instantly increases if they're pulling a trailer.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
While I was used-bike-shopping, I met more than one owner who refused to let me take their bike down the block. Not "for a spin, see you 20 minutes", just to the end of the street and back.

I was honest and said "although I've taken such and such rider training course, this is my first bike purchase".

What's the protocol here?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Tell them to have a good day and move on. I would never buy a bike that I haven't ridden or hasn't at least been checked out by a mechanic.

V That's works drat well too. V

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 14, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

epswing posted:

While I was used-bike-shopping, I met more than one owner who refused to let me take their bike down the block. Not "for a spin, see you 20 minutes", just to the end of the street and back.

I was honest and said "although I've taken such and such rider training course, this is my first bike purchase".

What's the protocol here?

Ask them to ride the bike around the block with you on the back. As a newb, you're not going to be able to pick up stuff and you don't want to have dropping a bike on a test ride on your conscience...trust me :(

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Protocol (as far as I've ever known it) was that you don't get to test ride the bike without the current owner having full purchase price of the bike in hand before you hop on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

nsaP posted:

You guys are some strict sellers but it's an attitude I've run into before, just not when buying thankfully.

I test rode a ton of bikes when I was first looking 5 years ago or so, and I don't think we ran into a seller that didn't let a 20 year old new rider take it out. I had my dad with me and waiting there, but we never had any money and nothing changed hands. Irony was that I was a new rider and timid and taking it super easy, trying to find my bike. Dad would take them out and see what they had, heh.

During a recent trade we met somewhere, showed we were insured, and traded licenses and then just went for a little ride. Fact is, for me, if they bin it, they bin it and even having the guy's cash in hand isn't a guarantee if he or she doesn't want to pay. It'll weed a lot of people out tho.

Vet the person before you let them on your bike, seems simple enough. I haven't had a bad experience yet, I guess.

Off the top of my head I rode an old CBR600 (with a bitchin' dragon paintjob on the sides, epic), GS500, XJ Seca, Honda 919(don't know what my dad was thinking here), Suzuki Katana, FZ6, Rebel 250, some small Suzuki V-twin cruiser, SV650, Honda 599...I'm sure I could think of a few more if I sat and thought.

And I wasn't joy-riding, this was over a period of a few months and aside from the 919 I could have ended up on any of them. Some the sellers wanted too much (the XJ, GS, and CBR come to memory), some were hosed up(the Katana had been in an accident for sure, and the SV had poorly done mods), and the rest were just the wrong bike.

Oh! An old Suzuki or Yamaha UJM too...they keep coming to me. CB750 too.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

SV, was a dealer trade
DRZ, guy bought it without a test ride
KTM, new owner was a wheelie dong, cash up front
Ducati, full cash in hand, test ride -> sale

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Well this is a first. Anyone ever see weed for bikes before?

quote:

Hello I am a prop 215 patient I have some extra meds of green ribbon I'd like to trade
For any dirtbike running from: 02-up 125cc, 250cc, 450f 250f

Or anything ud like to trade for some dense green ribbon best outdoor grown so far 2011 please get back to me with details of
What you have and what you want got it?
916220zeroone724
*Must be ca prop 215 sb420 with script*
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/2652741708.html

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Figures it's in sactown

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

rcman50166 posted:

uk and ireland would have a lot of them. look on https://www.donedeal.ie lots of breakers advertise on there

SeeYouEnTee
May 5, 2010

Pickle Presenter
Wrong thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think I have a line on another toy.

Hints:

It did an 11 second quarter when it came out.
It has an optimum engine configuration for smoothness.
It's heavy.

Hopefully it wont be gone before I can go look at it on Tuesday :D

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

I think I have a line on another toy.

Hints:

It did an 11 second quarter when it came out.
It has an optimum engine configuration for smoothness.
It's heavy.

Hopefully it wont be gone before I can go look at it on Tuesday :D

I would assume it'd be heavy, seeing as how it obviously has a V12 in it :v:

Is it a CBX? :woop:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its a CBX

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Its stupid cheap, and not a CBX. I should have put "not a CBX" as hint 4.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Is it a Boss Hoss?

e:IT IS A BOSS HOSS ISNT IT

invision fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 17, 2011

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Someone's gonna buy themselves a Z1300.

e: because who wouldn't want this noise in their life? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjk4S5tpVi0

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, my next guess was "that Kawi I6, whatever that was"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

God this is why I love you guys. It's a Voyager!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

God this is why I love you guys. It's a Voyager!

Like a Town&Country Minivan?

Not many people willing to rep Plymouth anymore.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Big rear end Vulcan

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Like a Town&Country Minivan?

Not many people willing to rep Plymouth anymore.

Nah, like a Kawasaki Voyager. Hopefully everything checks out in a few days :3:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Something like that?

It's like the K1600GTL that wasn't. Got any plans, or just keep it running?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You had better do this

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I still have that poster somewhere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats a poster? :stare:

Where can one buy it?