Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Friday night panel show marathon makes me feel less lovely about not having a social life.

HIGNFY, WILTY and QI is pretty awesome.

e: Although this ventriloquist is desperately unfunny.

sebzilla fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010
Don't forget 8 out of 10 cats!

Speaking of QI... Who is this puppet woman and why is she on?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Muppetjedi posted:

Don't forget 8 out of 10 cats!

Speaking of QI... Who is this puppet woman and why is she on?

Yeah seriously why is she on? I mean it'd be fine if they didn't keep going on about it but they are so it isn't.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
She's been knocking around Radio 4, including Fry's very own English Delight. The only enjoyable thing about her act is the anticipation of it stopping.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Ventriloquism... on the radio?? :psyduck:

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

sebzilla posted:

It's a proud (and stupid) tradition.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Did he actually bring the puppet?

[edit]These are all attuned comedy craftsmen, it's so awkward to see them nicely nicely playing along, smiling and talking to the puppet like you talk to a little kid. I hate ventriloquists.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 14, 2011

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

If we're having a puppet quota on panel shows like the female comedian quota, I hope next week we see Zippy, Sooty and Gonzo on the panel show triad.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
The puppet woman is annoying as hell but I lost it at Bill breaking his bell.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

sebzilla posted:

At least it's better than mime.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
The rest of the panel just about saved that QI. It's testament to how loving poo poo ventriloquism is that everybody else just pissing around with their puppets was funnier. That woman was so bizzarre I wouldn't even call her unfunny. It was just unsettling and confusing, like someone had shat themselves and everyone was being paid not to draw attention to it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Did anyone catch The Hunt for Tony Blair last night? It's on 4oD if not, worth a watch for sure.

They totally nail the speech patterns, and self justification of Blair for a start.

And Saunders as Thatcher is horrifying, in a wonderful way.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 15, 2011

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Red Oktober posted:

Did anyone catch The Hunt for Tony Blair last night? It's on 4oD if not, worth a watch for sure.

They totally nail the speech patterns, and self justification of Blair for a start.

And Saunders as Thatcher is horrifying, in a wonderful way.

Really looking forward to watching this tonight. Is it part of a series or a one-off?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Wormophile posted:

Really looking forward to watching this tonight. Is it part of a series or a one-off?

Comic Strip is usually one offs

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
poo. Just made my way through the back catalogue, was hoping for a couple more :sigh:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
This might be vaguely out of the blue, but I just finished up the first season of Luther and well I'm a bit perplexed. Was it meant to be a parody of a cop drama? Or was this actually supposed to be taken straight? Because between the huge leaps in logic, the main character being an ultra violent stalker, and everything else being massively over the top....well it just really felt like it was meant to be a satire of what some cop shows had become rather than a legit police drama. Really, anyone that could elucidate on this it would be appreciated by me cause if the second season is anything like the first then I'll watch it merely for the fact it makes me giggle stupidly at half the poo poo that happens.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The thing about Luther is that it is an excellent programme in every regard except for the writing. The writing really sucks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

The thing about Luther is that it is an excellent programme in every regard except for the writing. The writing really sucks.
Well the writing seemed to be a big part of the overall scheme of things. Take for instance the first episode where they introduce Alice; somehow Luther deduces her guilt from not yawning which seemed a bit far-fetched, then there was the bit about the dog getting stuffed with pieces of the gun which would have obviously been found in the cremation process...but weren't for some reason, and then finally wrapping it up by having lovely tête-à-tête with the killer (whom has already threatened his wife with harm) and becoming BFF's with her. Now I really enjoyed Idris Elba and what he did with the role, but honestly the plots were just mind numbing.

(also apologies for all the spoiler text but I'm not sure if that's giving too much away of the first episode)

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm not disagreeing with you, I think it's one of the oddest programmes I've ever seen in that there is so much quality on display, but it all sits on top of writing that would make ITV blush.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
I love Bill Baily but it's weird to see a TV personality wear a Naruto shirt.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Niggurath posted:

This might be vaguely out of the blue, but I just finished up the first season of Luther and well I'm a bit perplexed. Was it meant to be a parody of a cop drama? Or was this actually supposed to be taken straight? Because between the huge leaps in logic, the main character being an ultra violent stalker, and everything else being massively over the top....well it just really felt like it was meant to be a satire of what some cop shows had become rather than a legit police drama. Really, anyone that could elucidate on this it would be appreciated by me cause if the second season is anything like the first then I'll watch it merely for the fact it makes me giggle stupidly at half the poo poo that happens.

3 words.

Well acted nonsense.

Vain
Aug 1, 2005
Was that Gaius Baltar in the Merlin preview for next week?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Gaius Baltar?!

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

No, Gaius Baltar!!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

No more Mr. Nice Gaius!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AtomD posted:

I love Bill Baily but it's weird to see a TV personality wear a Naruto shirt.

He's also worn a Dragonball one. Maybe wardrobe just got him a bunch of UniQlo stuff. But yeah, bit weird.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Vain posted:

Was that Gaius Baltar in the Merlin preview for next week?

Well, I've got to start watching Merlin again :swoon:

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Fun Fact: James Callis played Merlin in some American drama one-off for the SyFy channel. It was... ... not good.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Just watched QI and my god that ventriloquist was awful. If anyone else is still suffering from her here's some Arthur Worsley as a palate cleanser.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Sean Locke seemed really put out by that puppet.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
The problem with a ventriloquist (or any kind of character, really) is that the vast majority of what they say and do is about them, which is a bit lame if you don't give a poo poo and want to hear funny people say funny things. I can't remember offhand anything she said that wasn't "I'm a puppet!"

I imagine she was there because they already planned to talk about ventriloquism but god drat.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

Some Strange Flea posted:

The problem with a ventriloquist (or any kind of character, really) is that the vast majority of what they say and do is about them, which is a bit lame if you don't give a poo poo and want to hear funny people say funny things. I can't remember offhand anything she said that wasn't "I'm a puppet!"

I imagine she was there because they already planned to talk about ventriloquism but god drat.

Let's hope they never talk about chavs.

"Awright Stephen? I'm Lee Nelson! You is well smart innit!"

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

It feels like every panel show ever was on this week.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Junkenstein posted:

And all needed the preface "and this was filmed before the resignation of Liam Fox."

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

Are they still making new episodes of A Question Of Sport?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
loving hell Nina Conti died on her arse. I can't begin to fathom who thought it would be a good idea to have a dummy on QI.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
besides Alan Davies you mean.
Ohohoho.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Ddraig posted:

loving hell Nina Conti died on her arse. I can't begin to fathom who thought it would be a good idea to have a dummy on QI.

It COULD have been OK if it had been a different ventriloquist with a dummy/persona that was actually funny. Unfortunately, genuinely funny ventriloquists are rare as hens teeth.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The only funny ventriloquist I've ever seen was a 13 year old amateur singing a duet of Oliver's "Consider Yourself" with his puppet. Technically it's very impressive, but even then the joke doesn't get much more complex than "the puppet, it is singing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Same with funny impressionists. Some impressionists can sometimes manage some decent enough gags, or comedic situations, but with nowhere near the same consistency of level as a normal comedian. I'd rather see a pretty good comedian than a fantastically talented impressionist who can't make me laugh.