Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

poptart_fairy posted:

Bollocks to you guys. South paws are a minority that don't get represented very often, so I choose to stand by my belief. :colbert:

You south paws had your day in the sun for years with Counter-strike, where EVERYONE had to be left handed. And that was apparently because the guy that made the weapon models and animations realized that if he wanted to actually show shell ejection on screen (because that's super cool!) he'd have to put right-handed weapons in the players' left hands.

And of course when they made it big they had to allow for right handed weapon models, so they mirrored them. Now all those CS players are running around with weapons designed for lefties (shell ejection on the left side).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I want the shells to eject directly into my face.

E: Bored... let's get 10 people to play Natural Selection.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 13, 2011

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
YES. Discovered there's a lighting option under the OpenGL tab that I hadn't fiddled with - flicking it to 'standard' corrected the PSX Doom lighting issues I was having, and using the Doom 2 .wad - rather than the Doom 1 file - still allows me to play either of the original games, but doesn't have the sprite issues like previously.

If only there was a PSX Final Doom conversion I could relive my entire ill-advised childhood years. Seriously, this game was the game of my younger years.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

YES. Discovered there's a lighting option under the OpenGL tab that I hadn't fiddled with - flicking it to 'standard' corrected the PSX Doom lighting issues I was having, and using the Doom 2 .wad - rather than the Doom 1 file - still allows me to play either of the original games, but doesn't have the sprite issues like previously.

If only there was a PSX Final Doom conversion I could relive my entire ill-advised childhood years. Seriously, this game was the game of my younger years.

Go hog-wild

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

tooooooo bad posted:

Go hog-wild

That's the one I'm using! :v:

It's not Final Doom though, near as I can make out. Apparently there's some weird issues preventing the conversion of those levels.

realshotgun
Sep 18, 2011

by angerbeet
good old school times :D

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Come play Heretic through Doomseeker, you pansies!

64.71.152.93:10671

Hellspawn Armada server #6

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

Ddraig posted:

I'm running Brutal Doom with GZDoom but for some reason I've got no hud/status bar

Is this normal or is there some weird setting to get it back?

Running 1920x1080 open gl mode, if that makes any difference.

Have you tried pressing minus? +/- increase/decrease screen size, I think the biggest screen size is no HUD, second biggest is minimal HUD, and third is the classic bar HUD.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I never got to play psx doom before and I started a playthrough with brutal doom and man is it a blast. Probably the most fun version ive played.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Aphal posted:

Have you tried pressing minus? +/- increase/decrease screen size, I think the biggest screen size is no HUD, second biggest is minimal HUD, and third is the classic bar HUD.

Thank you so much! Works perfect.

GZdoom with Brutal Doom and minimal hud is loving amazing. I wonder if they included a fatality against the Cyberdemon

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ddraig posted:

Thank you so much! Works perfect.

GZdoom with Brutal Doom and minimal hud is loving amazing. I wonder if they included a fatality against the Cyberdemon

He sure as hell has a fatality against you.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Seems like the recent ATI drivers broke skulltag for me, I can only start it up and somewhat play it in software rendering mode, and if I try to start it up with OpenGl as the primary renderer it just plain crashes off the bat.

I can however switch the renderer to Opengl if I start with software mode, but then it just ends up looking something like this

EDIT: should probably mention I'm running on an XFX eyeinfinty Radeon 6850

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 15, 2011

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Zacharias posted:

Seems like the recent ATI drivers broke skulltag for me, I can only start it up and somewhat play it in software rendering mode, and if I try to start it up with OpenGl as the primary renderer it just plain crashes off the bat.

I can however switch the renderer to Opengl if I start with software mode, but then it just ends up looking something like this

Doom: Autostereogram Edition.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We need to have a goon-run CPMA tournament.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Just in case any of you have missed this, GoG are having a sale on their Atari catalogue, including Blood. It's about time I got a copy of this.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Blood's a steal at $3. Definitely don't pass that up if you don't have it yet.

Also, are we doing any multiplayer events today?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cephalectomy posted:

I never got to play psx doom before and I started a playthrough with brutal doom and man is it a blast. Probably the most fun version ive played.

Yeah, uh, about PSX doom. If you're a big baby like me the music in the later, hell-esque levels becomes rather horrible. Babies crying in the background, girls weeping, things making inhuman snorts and grunts, what sounds like a goat being sliced up in someone's bath tub... :ohdear:

They absolutely nailed the atmosphere with the changes to lighting and music. You honestly get the feeling Doom was intended as survival horror more than action shooty, haha.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

They absolutely nailed the atmosphere with the changes to lighting and music. You honestly get the feeling Doom was intended as survival horror more than action shooty, haha.

Doom 64 carries that atmosphere pretty well, too. There's a souce-port for that here, although you'll need the original N64 rom from somewhere. Darker, more atmospheric, much uglier monsters, etc.

The Silent Hill-inspired campaign Unloved has more than a few scares of its own. Still plenty shooty, but much spookier just through clever environmental and audio design.

Edit: Whoa, Doom64EX has improved. Full native 360 controller support, visual highlights on usables, widescreen and more. It could pass for a modern downloadable title, easy.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 16, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

We might try and play some Natural Selection if anyone is up for it. That, or heretic/brutal doom. There is a Wolf3d server, too.

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 16, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
A test version of Brutal Doom v0.13 has been posted for Skulltag. New changes include:

Changelog:
- New fire particles for torches, burning barrels, and other fire sources.
- Polished the sprites for zombieman and imp fatalities.
- New futuristic-looking sprites for Rifle and Shotgun (by Mike12)
- New Plasma Deaths to some monsters (by Mike12)
- Invulnerability Sphere will not loose it's effects after performing a fatality (Thanks to jpalomo for finding the solution.)
- Added new animations for players when jumping/falling from heights, or selecting the fists.
- Players will not keep looping the spawn animations when holding a barrel, or have health under 25.
- 3D models for water splashes that makes it look more realistic.
- Nerfed plasma headshots.
- Added a bit more blood to the Xdeath gibs, so it won't look too much clean like before.
- Fixed a bug with weapons reloading infinitely.
- Removed plasma ball splash damage.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Thank god.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pft, if you were taking damage from the splash you were in chainsaw range. :colbert:

Incidentally I've realised why the violence is so satisfying in Brutal Doom. The blood splat and flesh tearing is just so wet, which other more modern games don't seem to get right. It's morbird but goddamn, makes all the difference.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Pft, if you were taking damage from the splash you were in chainsaw range. :colbert:

It's not that, it's me running behind cover but not letting go of my fire button fast enough. I can't stand losing up to 20 minutes of progress because of a drat wall.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I am hosting a Brutal Doom(2) v0.13 server now!

GoonGame - 24.151.62.64:10666

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Doom for the PS1 (why the hell do people call it the PSX) has one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time. I know this is sacrilege but I think it's worlds better than the pseudo-Metallica MIDIs in the PC version.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I am hosting a Brutal Doom(2) v0.13 server now!

GoonGame - 24.151.62.64:10666

I'm not seeing your server on DoomSeeker.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

moms pubis posted:

Doom for the PS1 (why the hell do people call it the PSX) has one of the greatest game soundtracks of all time. I know this is sacrilege but I think it's worlds better than the pseudo-Metallica MIDIs in the PC version.

It's called PSX cuz that was its abbreviation in gaming mags before the ps2 happened.

minus world
Sep 23, 2009

"good poster"

moms pubis posted:

I actually had a hard time adjusting to it when I bought the PS1 port back in the day but now I think it's great. The 3DO version was pretty horrible (framerate was so low that it was pretty much unplayable) but it did have a pretty great remixed soundtrack.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Is there any reason to use GZdoom over skulltag, or is skulltag generally the superior choice? I ask this because I've been playing Brutal Doom on both, and they look about the same.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ddraig posted:

Is there any reason to use GZdoom over skulltag, or is skulltag generally the superior choice? I ask this because I've been playing Brutal Doom on both, and they look about the same.
GZdoom doesn't stretch when you look up and down.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ddraig posted:

Not sure why this is, but the latest version of GZDoom runs like poo poo on my ATI-rig when Skulltag doesn't. Something to do with OpenGL drivers.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Ddraig posted:

GZDoom has a number of (fairly minor) features that Skulltag lacks and a few additional graphical options that you can enable, but the real reason to keep both is that many modern wads don't play nice with both, not only because Skulltag is built on older versions of ZDoom and GZDoom but because along the way Skulltag has accumulated a few unique features of its own. It's why there's a seperate version of Brutal Doom for each.

Tried out that PSX Doom WAD for the first time. I really like the wads that make Doom more atmospheric without throwing its original gameplay away. I understand that some people would probably find it inappropriate or whatever but I'd really like it if someone were to go through the original maps in Doom and Doom 2 and update the lighting and add detail and just make them really ominous and grim and stuff without cutting out all of the detail like they had to with PSX Doom.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 17, 2011

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: wrong thread

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Took my server down to fix a couple things. It's back up now, on map 13 - Downtown.

24.151.62.64:10666 - BRUTALGOON

If you are having trouble joining make sure to add it to the custom server list.

If you are having trouble seeing servers at all, skulltag recently changed master servers.

Go to, c:/users/profile/appdata/roaming/doomseeker, then go to the doomseeker.cfg

Change the master server to master.skulltag.net:15300

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 17, 2011

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

moms pubis posted:

Doom for the PS1 (why the hell do people call it the PSX)

:eng101: the PlayStation's working name when Sony was developing it was "Playstation Experimental". It was released in Japan simply as "PlayStation"; when it was time for SCEA to launch it, they wanted to market it as "PSX" - a contraction of the original "Playstation Experimental" project name - due to fears that the PlayStation name would be disliked in the US. They were overruled, but the PSX name was still used as the de facto official abbreviation for it online and in gaming magazines (and by SCEA) for years.

The release of the PSOne and PS2 in 2000 got some people using "PS1" instead of "PSX" as an abbreviation, but by then PSX was already in common use. The release of the actual PSX - a combination PS2, DVR, and DVD burner - might have changed that, except that it was released only in Japan (and tanked there).

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

ToxicFrog posted:

:eng101: the PlayStation's working name when Sony was developing it was "Playstation Experimental". It was released in Japan simply as "PlayStation"; when it was time for SCEA to launch it, they wanted to market it as "PSX" - a contraction of the original "Playstation Experimental" project name - due to fears that the PlayStation name would be disliked in the US. They were overruled, but the PSX name was still used as the de facto official abbreviation for it online and in gaming magazines (and by SCEA) for years.

The release of the PSOne and PS2 in 2000 got some people using "PS1" instead of "PSX" as an abbreviation, but by then PSX was already in common use. The release of the actual PSX - a combination PS2, DVR, and DVD burner - might have changed that, except that it was released only in Japan (and tanked there).

Well it sucks :colbert:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

24.151.62.64:10666 - BrutalGoon

JOIN US!! - 5 people and counting.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Kazvall posted:

24.151.62.64:10666 - BrutalGoon

JOIN US!! - 5 people and counting.

I can't find your server like at all. And I can't connect to it through Skulltag because I guess you're using some wad other than brutal_v13test1.pk3

edit: updated my master server too. Or at least I changed Masterserver to master.skulltag.net:15300 in doomseeker.ini. I can see servers, just not yours.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 17, 2011

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Did you add it to options/configure/custom servers in doomseeker?

E: making sure the port # is in the right section. I am using Heretic++, wadseeker should find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A test version of Brutal Doom v0.13 has been posted for Skulltag. New changes include:

Changelog:

- Invulnerability Sphere will not loose it's effects after performing a fatality (Thanks to jpalomo for finding the solution.)

Thank the Lord!