Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terrin
May 10, 2005

nous_ posted:

How do you guys watch football? For years I just focused on the QB or ballcarrier, but lately I have been studying a lot of the strategy and I find it hard to pick apart the plays focusing on just one or two guys. I kind of unfocus my eyes to watch the play develop, see what the secondary is doing, etc.

Secondly, is there a blog that analyzes NFL games at a high level? I remember SmartFootball used to do game analyses, but now they seem to be running topical pieces. I'm going to grab that Game Rewind package and it would be cool to have some hardcore analysis to help me pick apart the games.

I don't consider myself a strategy guru or anything but it's really hard to do much live on TV. It's the great aspect of watching football live because you can focus on one receiver/lineman/corner/safety without the camera sitting on the QB. My favorite to watch is defensive linemen because it's easier to make assessment without having to watch the play again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

terrin posted:

I don't consider myself a strategy guru or anything but it's really hard to do much live on TV. It's the great aspect of watching football live because you can focus on one receiver/lineman/corner/safety without the camera sitting on the QB. My favorite to watch is defensive linemen because it's easier to make assessment without having to watch the play again.

yeah watching it live gives you more of an a appreciation for where "holes" the running backs run through actually are. Watching tv it looks like the running backs are just running "through" the defensive line when in reality it's more wide open.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

It's easiest on the replay. Watch the play, see if it's successful or breaks down/fails, then on the replay start with the offensive line, and just radiate outward on players farther and farther down the field.

This isn't really watching STRATEGY as it is just seeing if the players execute, but it's a start.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
If you try not to focus on anything in particular, after awhile you'll start seeing the whole field even on television. It helps if the television you're watching isn't gigantic and you're sitting far enough away, so the entire screen fits easily in your field of vision. The least interesting part of the play is usually where the ball is, and the most interesting part is usually where the ball is going a couple seconds later.

I do agree that the relatively recent proliferation of very good replay angles helps a lot, especially with things that are hard to evaluate off the typical television wide shot, such as safety play.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
How often(if ever) are trick plays run that involve a tight end carrying the ball?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Koskinator posted:

How often(if ever) are trick plays run that involve a tight end carrying the ball?

Almost never these days. In the 70s and earlier, about as often as you'd see a WR running the ball on a gadget play in the present day; most of your good tight ends would see a few carries a season.

terrin
May 10, 2005

Koskinator posted:

The Patriots ran a couple play action end-arounds to Aaron Hernandez last year, something they never did with any other tight end.. I'm not sure if you'd categorize an end-around as a "trick play", but that's the closest thing I can think of to it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Tony Gonzalez has 2 carries in his career. Antonio Gates 0, Dallas Clark 4, Jason Witten 0. Mike Ditka had 2 for an older guy, not sure what other names from that era to check.

Kellen Winslow Jr has one, Sr had 0.

e: Ozzie Newsome had 18 career carries, 13 in his rookie season. And he never had one after '81.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 9, 2011

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Tony Gonzalez has 2 carries in his career. Antonio Gates 0, Dallas Clark 4, Jason Witten 0. Mike Ditka had 2 for an older guy, not sure what other names from that era to check.

Go back even further to guys like Jackie Smith and John Mackey - they would regularly have a few a year, sometimes more.

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
Can someone explain all the stuff in this subforum to me? What is n/v? What is gdt? Where is the evening game thread? Will nbc stream the packers/falcons game free tonight?

terrin
May 10, 2005

GirlBones posted:

Can someone explain all the stuff in this subforum to me? What is n/v? What is gdt? Where is the evening game thread? Will nbc stream the packers/falcons game free tonight?

n/v = news/views
gdt = game day thread
Yes there will be an evening game thread, and a SNF, and a MNF
NBC will stream the game

terrin fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 9, 2011

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet
thanks a lot!

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Koskinator posted:

Check out some of the Rams teams when Mike Martz was the head coach. He would run the TE around 5-10 times a year.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Why do people hate Jay Cutler? Was it only because of the whole him wanting out of the Broncos thing?

keevo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 11, 2011

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

keevo posted:

Why do people hate Jay Cutler? Was it only because of the whole him wanting out of the Broncos thing?

Some stupid fans in Denver might hate him for this, and some really stupid people in Chicago or in general hate him for not playing the remainder of last years playoff game with a grade 3 MCL tear.

There is really no good reason to hate Cutler as a player because he is a really good QB playing with a terrible offensive line. I dunno anything about him off the field.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"He hasn't had a winning record since high school!!" - a girl at the bar tonight several times. heh. What an idiot. Well, time to watch old MST3000 episodes all evening and then go to bed alone

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

"He hasn't had a winning record since high school!!" - a girl at the bar tonight several times. heh. What an idiot. Well, time to watch old MST3000 episodes all evening and then go to bed alone

Did you let her know you're noted forums poster DO YALL WANT A HAM? I feel like that'd help a lot. Maybe she wants a ham.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

keevo posted:

He's a whiny child and kind of doofy.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
He played for Vanderbilt and beat Tennessee. Both are unforgivable to me.

Yes, I dislike a lot of players these days.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

For X's and O's another excellent site is brophyfootball.blogspot.com. Tons of videos of drills and diagrams. Also a lot of videos of coaches talking about their systems. My favorite is the 7 hours of Alex Gibbs talking zone blocking with Steve Addazio, Dan Mullen and the rest of the Florida staff in 2007.

Tahm Bwady
Aug 7, 2008

Its 1 thing to jump and be able to land on 2 feet but I had no idea I was landing in Heaven.Hope all is well on this good Friday

keevo posted:

he played for my high school's rival school. Beat us every year.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Are you still confused about basic football concepts? Well, never fear, because I've found a man with a moustache.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ggus0C0M5Q

He knows a little about America's favourite sport, and he's going to share it with you. Did you know that football can be traced back to Ancient Greece, and that it was they who originally invented the Y-shaped goalpost?

Presumably it's also them who invented the excessive celebration rule.

Yeah, it's way hokey, but it's also quite sweet. Someone's helpfully uploaded the whole thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwDx3wDvSbE

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

Why do NFL teams not experiment with 2 QBs / 1 RB backfields?

Before I am mocked endlessly (even though I expect it), let me explain.

Say you have a backfield with: Vick, Kolb and McCoy in a parallel line to the offensive line:

code:
T G C G T

V K Mc
The sheer number of snap possibilities from this has to be worth something, no?

- Direct snap to McCoy (running right or off-tackle)
- Direct snap to Vick (running left)
- Direct snap to Vick (passing)
- Direct snap to Kolb with all the normal options available

It's sort of like a wildcat set, but instead of 2 or 3 RBs, it's 2 QBs, either of which can throw the ball, or it's 2 RBs (Vick as a RB) that can run the ball.

I'm not even getting started with WRs or TEs.

I understand that raw speed from somebody like Jaren Allen or Dwight Freeny or any of the other marquee DEs would cause problems for a formation like this, but tell me why this won't work?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

spankweasel posted:

Why do NFL teams not experiment with 2 QBs / 1 RB backfields?

Before I am mocked endlessly (even though I expect it), let me explain.

Say you have a backfield with: Vick, Kolb and McCoy in a parallel line to the offensive line:

code:

T G C G T

V K Mc

The sheer number of snap possibilities from this has to be worth something, no?

- Direct snap to McCoy (running right or off-tackle)
- Direct snap to Vick (running left)
- Direct snap to Vick (passing)
- Direct snap to Kolb with all the normal options available

It's sort of like a wildcat set, but instead of 2 or 3 RBs, it's 2 QBs, either of which can throw the ball, or it's 2 RBs (Vick as a RB) that can run the ball.

I'm not even getting started with WRs or TEs.

I understand that raw speed from somebody like Jaren Allen or Dwight Freeny or any of the other marquee DEs would cause problems for a formation like this, but tell me why this won't work?

The skillset of a qb and a RB are different. And running the ball is loving dangerous. All the rules about protecting qbs is because they are delicate flowers that take up a bunch of payroll.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ron Jeremy posted:

The skillset of a qb and a RB are different. And running the ball is loving dangerous. All the rules about protecting qbs is because they are delicate flowers that take up a bunch of payroll.

I'd think another reason is that people don't want to ask a center to snap anywhere other than the regular shotgun position. Still you'd think someone would have tried this in college at some point (and they may have for all I know).

OhSnapGangsta
Jun 24, 2006

All the arms we need are for hugging
How the center holds the ball is going to be really telling in terms of who is getting the snap. Does he angle it to the left/right/middle? If he doesn't angle it pre-snap and does the angling as he is snapping that is really dangerous to miss. Also, if the center is snapping with the right hand, it is going to be really difficult to snap it to the person on the right with the risk of hitting his own leg. The same for a left handed snapper/left side.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Also don't see what the perceived benefit is since your scheme stacks the guys right next to each other. You might have something if the players are at different depths, but even then you can do that more effectively out of the pistol and its variants anyway.

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

jeffersonlives posted:

Also don't see what the perceived benefit is since your scheme stacks the guys right next to each other. You might have something if the players are at different depths, but even then you can do that more effectively out of the pistol and its variants anyway.

The entire benefit of something like this is the element of misdirection on where the center snaps the ball. The point OhSnapGangsta brings up about the angle of the ball pre-snap is a great one however. You'd need a really agile Center to even stand a chance at something like this.

Also, the depth of the 3 in the backfield doesn't have to be parallel, necessarily. It was just easier to explain it this way.

I know the NFL rules are set to protect the snowflakes but QBs like Newton and Tebow (hurr) are a little more built to handle something like this. I'm not suggesting that Rivers, Manning, or Brady try something like this as those teams don't have the need for an SEC/spread QB like Tebow/Newton but maybe a scheme like this could maybe work for teams whose roster include Tebow.

spankweasel fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 16, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Eh, plus, pardon the obvious, but the guy who takes the snap is the quarterback. If we start getting abstract about what each position is, then all that's left is "eligible receivers" and "not". You can't have 2 QBs on the field because only one person can take the snap.

spankweasel
Jan 4, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Eh, plus, pardon the obvious, but the guy who takes the snap is the quarterback. If we start getting abstract about what each position is, then all that's left is "eligible receivers" and "not". You can't have 2 QBs on the field because only one person can take the snap.

Semantics.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Actually I've thought that a team could try a few plays or a series with two QBs. The snap physics are too much to deal with so it'd be better to line up the "second" QB like an RB in the shotgun. Then at the snap you could pitch to him or let QB1 keep it, or fake a pitch and run an end-around the other way, or pitch it to him and run the line out to his side in a planned-rollout kinda thing. You could have 5 plays and run em in succession with no huddles and probably move down the field pretty fast. Or 3 and out.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

spankweasel posted:

The entire benefit of something like this is the element of misdirection on where the center snaps the ball.

Misdirection over who gets the ball is meaningless. Misdirection over where the ball is going is a positive, but merely snapping the ball to a guy an extra two feet away doesn't really create any misdirection. Indeed, it even makes those sorts of quick hit plays that this type of formation would want to run a little bit easier to defend because you get to have another guy in the box or in containment.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 16, 2011

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Another reason is that there are very few players like Vick who can be a major threat passing or running.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I think a set like that is inefficient and going to limit your options instead of expand them. McCoy is limited to where he can go because Vick isn't going to block for him. If Kolb gets the ball, again Vick is totally useless. He can't block, he probably won't get open if he goes downfield (and plus receivers get destroyed every so often), and handing the ball off to him is a really bad idea. Running QBs work by stretching the defense before taking off, whereas RBs get the job done with explosive power and acceleration.

If Vick gets the ball Kolb is even more useless. What is the difference between Vick and Kolb getting the ball? Basically you are using up a TE or WR so a guy can stand there in the backfield doing nothing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

On the point of "it's too difficult for the center!", one of the components of the single-wing used to be snapping the ball precisely so that it hit the tailback in a defined place on every play; some playbooks would ask their center to snap to right thigh or left thigh or high left or high right or dead middle, so it's not a completely insurmountable problem, other than it being like the "QBs calling their own plays" thing; you can't do it because nobody does it, so the skill is never developed, so the coaches forget how to coach it because it's not relevant, so nobody does it, and nobody comes to you who can do it, and so you can't do it.

To do it anywhere other than high school would be too much of an investment in coaching time for too little benefit.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 16, 2011

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
I was watching the Oregon ASU game last night, and I saw the teams line up really far apart on the field, then before the snap, everyone moved back into a more traditional line up. What was up with that?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

See, I'm at the other end where I want to see someone line up in the Maryland I, Power I, and Delaware Wing-T.

Also Flexbone and some options geez would it kill someone to actually run an option play :(

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Sash! posted:

See, I'm at the other end where I want to see someone line up in the Maryland I, Power I, and Delaware Wing-T.

Also Flexbone and some options geez would it kill someone to actually run an option play :(

My old high school hired a new coach this season that installed the Wing-T. They went from a 1-39 stretch to making the playoffs. I read up very briefly on it and it sounds kinda fun to watch.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Sash! posted:

Deangelo scored from 70 yards on one last week. But you're right, option, ski-gun, flexbone, wishbone and the Modified T Square all need to see more NFL use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Deangelo scored from 70 yards on one last week. But you're right, option, ski-gun, flexbone, wishbone and the Modified T Square all need to see more NFL use.
They will. You won't see a lot of it, but teams with an athletic QB could add it in for yet another thing to defenses to deal with. I'm also pretty sure I saw the Eagles run a zone read with Vick a few weeks ago and Tebow has done it, albeit in specific red-zone packages. I'd imagine that the 49ers have some option plays in the playbook, as well, since Harbaugh had some for Andrew Luck at Stanford out of the pistol, and Alex Smith was pretty good at the whole 'spread option' thing at Utah.

You just can't run the option all the time because quarterbacks are expensive.

• Locked thread