Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
KORG's got a new App out: iKaossilator for the iPhone/iPod. It's $9.99 until November 30th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh SNAP, I had no idea that was even on the cards. I've owned both Kaossilators and it will be very interesting to see how an app version holds up, but this has a 5 part looper which outdoes even the Pro model so I have high hopes for good things.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Holy poo poo, it's sooooo good. Wow, I am just throwing poo poo together with it on the fly, and it's so easy to use!

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
That's the exact kind of thing I've wanted them to put on iOS. Awesome.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

timb posted:

Holy poo poo, it's sooooo good. Wow, I am just throwing poo poo together with it on the fly, and it's so easy to use!

Hell yes. This is goddamn amazing.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is officially no need for the Kaossilator hardware to exist anymore.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

RandomCheese posted:

There is officially no need for the Kaossilator hardware to exist anymore.
Except for the whole physical buttons, switches, dials, and input and output ports and reliability thing, yeah, you're totally right!

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there is a bit more tactile feedback in the Pro but this app decimates the capabilities of the standard Kaossilator, and you would need to think long and hard about whether the KPro is worth the extra $500 or so more than you pay for the app just to get those dials and outputs.

I'd like to see an overlay on the screen so you can actually tell where a specific note will be when you touch it, not having this adds to the whole "kaoss" ideal I guess but it's one of the main reasons I sold my KPro for a keyed synth.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I would certainly never use an iPhone app in a live setting, but that's only a strike against it if that's a concern for you.

iPhones and iPads are just too drat crashy.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Have any of you dudes downloaded sampletank yet? Or used the iRig midi? I thought it looked kind of rad, but I was checking it out on the ik multimedia YouTube channel, so of course they made it look good. Am considering this for some home recording stuff, just wanted to know if anybody else had tried it before I take the plunge.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Anyone into granular synthesis should check out iDensity for iPad ($8.99). You can't copy/paste audio into it yet, but you can record sounds. It's got a pretty straightforward UI, unlike Curtis.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

MOOG is putting out 'Animoog' for iOS tomorrow.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/10/16/moog-animoog/

'The First Professional Synth for the iPad' is a pretty big statement- but you know MOOG can back that up. (I hope this doesn't require an iPad 2).

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

magiccarpet posted:

MOOG is putting out 'Animoog' for iOS tomorrow.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/10/16/moog-animoog/

'The First Professional Synth for the iPad' is a pretty big statement- but you know MOOG can back that up. (I hope this doesn't require an iPad 2).

COME ON. WHAT THE HELL. SRSLY U GUISE.

Hopefully the app is a million times better than the promo video.

Here's a screenshot:

Apparently being released at $0.99, going up to a regular price of $29.99 eventually...?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

haunted sleep posted:

Here's a screenshot:

Apparently being released at $0.99, going up to a regular price of $29.99 eventually...?
Woah, $.99?

Now they got my attention. Here I was thinking "launch price" meant 9.99 or 14.99 until it goes to $19.99.

For $.99 it'd be silly not to get it coming from Moog.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Moog put up a soundcloud thing for it and it sounds awesome, too bad I don't have an iPad. Why can't they make a VSt one too :( http://www.soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/sets/animoog/

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

haunted sleep posted:

Here's a screenshot:

It's out! Going to grab it as soon as I get home from work!

Here's an article about it:
http://stereoklang.se/blog/moogs-ipad-synth-finally-released-animoog

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

I would certainly never use an iPhone app in a live setting, but that's only a strike against it if that's a concern for you.

iPhones and iPads are just too drat crashy.
This concerns me because I had planned to do that. I have yet to have any crash issues on my iPad.

Does anyone know of a good app just for recording, using a iRig? One that will allow me to get the files onto my computer somehow after, of course.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Meteor and FourTrack get mentioned a lot when recording comes up but I have not used either. Searching appshopper for multitrack might lead you in the right direction if those first two aren't suitable.

For what it's worth I've never had a music app crash on me, and in general the only stability issues I have seen on the iOS platform have been jailbreak related. Some apps do have noted bugs from time to time but any developer worth their salt will get them sorted out ASAP.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

RandomCheese posted:

Meteor and FourTrack get mentioned a lot when recording comes up but I have not used either. Searching appshopper for multitrack might lead you in the right direction if those first two aren't suitable.
I feel a little silly, I suppose I could have done that for myself. Thanks, though, I'll check this all out. I was hoping someone would name one program and everyone else in the thread would put in, "Oh yeah, that one is amazing and everyone uses it now," but that never happens.

RandomCheese posted:

For what it's worth I've never had a music app crash on me, and in general the only stability issues I have seen on the iOS platform have been jailbreak related. Some apps do have noted bugs from time to time but any developer worth their salt will get them sorted out ASAP.
This is more in line with my experience. Of course, my iPad is only about 5 months old so it's the absolute most current model. It could be that complications arise with older hardware and newer apps.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

TheNinjaD posted:

This is more in line with my experience. Of course, my iPad is only about 5 months old so it's the absolute most current model. It could be that complications arise with older hardware and newer apps.

That could be it. I have a first generation iPad, and apps run out of memory and crash all the time.

TheNinjaD
Aug 14, 2010

Go Ninja, Go Ninja, GO!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That could be it. I have a first generation iPad, and apps run out of memory and crash all the time.
That sounds reasonable. We have a very old iPod touch that no newer stuff works on. Other than that sort of thing, I haven't really heard any complaints of crashing or that sort of thing.

Does anyone know of any particularly chuggy music apps to avoid?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I have a first-gen iPad as well but I'm usually very active in my closing of unused programs so I usually enter into an app with all possible memory available, and I've never made anything with a large number of tracks so I probably skirt under the memory barrier each time.
The only "chuggy" app I have encountered is the recent TableTop audio environment which skips and glitches occasionally when sequencing multiple modules, but I'd pin all the issues it has onto the lower spec of the iPad 1, as individual modules by themselves play fine.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A lot of developers only focus on the newest generation of hardware, it's unfortunate but that's just the way it is. This tends to create issues with older hardware.

My 4th gen ipod has been rock solid.. I can't think of a single music app crash since I bought it last year, and it has relatively modest hardware compared to all the pads and phones.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
FYI: Reactable is on sale for $5 now.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I'm not even that good at programming synths, and I've already got Sunrizer and NanoStudio's built-in Eden, but for 99¢ I couldn't help myself and bought Animoog. Filtatron is a cool app. Seems like Moog and Korg are the only oldschoolers making quality stuff for iOS.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
I have a first gen non-jailbroken iPad and it never crashes on my music apps. I use it all the time and reboot occasionally to ensure any large installations don't cause problems for me. Maybe the older ones need to be rebooted more often due to memory constraints or something?

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
Uhh... Am I meant to be getting sound with Animoog? I'm hitting stuff and it's not making any noise. Using iOS 5 with first gen iPad.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Mine definitely makes noise when I press the keys, maybe power cycle the iPad?

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

RandomCheese posted:

Mine definitely makes noise when I press the keys, maybe power cycle the iPad?

Nope doesn't seem to be working. I synced wirelessly when I got this app, maybe that's the problem? Oh well I suppose it will be fixed at some point.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
This might be a very silly question but did you actually buy the AniMoog app and not the Moog Filtatron? Both are 99c currently and have pretty similar icons, and the Filtatron does exactly as you describe for me in iOS5.

Other than that maybe delete the app and download it directly to the iPad?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

canned_fruit posted:

Nope doesn't seem to be working. I synced wirelessly when I got this app, maybe that's the problem? Oh well I suppose it will be fixed at some point.

Does it work with headphones? I've seen many apps seem to 'require' headphones when they get into a certain state. This is especially true after using USB audio devices via the camera connection kit.

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

RandomCheese posted:

This might be a very silly question but did you actually buy the AniMoog app and not the Moog Filtatron? Both are 99c currently and have pretty similar icons, and the Filtatron does exactly as you describe for me in iOS5.

Other than that maybe delete the app and download it directly to the iPad?

Yeah definitely Animoog. Yeah I tried re-downloading from my computer but that didn't work. I can't seem to download it from the cloud yet either but I will try that too if it becomes an option.

renderful posted:

Does it work with headphones? I've seen many apps seem to 'require' headphones when they get into a certain state. This is especially true after using USB audio devices via the camera connection kit.

Ah good thinking, yep that works. I haven't used any USB connections with my iPad or anything so I don't know why it's done that. I have used Touchable maybe that did something? It still only works with headphones though.

rogue wave
Jul 12, 2005

I GOT CRABBY ABOUT PHONE GAMING
It works really well, as advertised, on my first gen iPad with iOS5.

Has anyone tried using Kaossilator with an iPad? How does it scale?

rogue wave fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 18, 2011

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

DM-1 Vintage Drum Machine is on sale for $0.99 too. Looks like a pretty decent drum sequencer with a nice bunch of sample libraries.

http://appshopper.com/music/dm1-the-drum-machine

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Anything good out there for basic wav editing via audio copy? I'm looking for something I can use to sample output from animoog, trim whitespace, or perhaps cut up into sections, and use in SunVox during train rides. I checked the awesome OP, but only saw full DAW's and the like.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

toadee posted:

Anything good out there for basic wav editing via audio copy? I'm looking for something I can use to sample output from animoog, trim whitespace, or perhaps cut up into sections, and use in SunVox during train rides. I checked the awesome OP, but only saw full DAW's and the like.

I'd recommend Hokusai. It's free, but with in-app purchases to get proper editing features, and stuff like copy/paste.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

jakewastaken posted:

Has anyone tried using Kaossilator with an iPad? How does it scale?

It scales about as well as any phone app in 2x mode, definitely not a native experience but it does have the advantage of making the loop selection buttons a bit bigger and further apart so it will be easier to select the right loop without needing to be as precise as with the smaller phone screen.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Updated the OP with a FAQ section :)

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

FLX posted:

Updated the OP with a FAQ section :)

haunted sleep posted:

I'd recommend Hokusai. It's free, but with in-app purchases to get proper editing features, and stuff like copy/paste.

Thanks both! Works great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Have any of you dudes downloaded sampletank yet? Or used the iRig midi? I thought it looked kind of rad, but I was checking it out on the ik multimedia YouTube channel, so of course they made it look good. Am considering this for some home recording stuff, just wanted to know if anybody else had tried it before I take the plunge.
I just saw a review today and remembered your post:
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/20/irig-midi-and-sampletank-for-ios-review/

• Locked thread