Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

In BnT's case all the card is doing is providing extra ports and making ESXi happy about passing the drives through to the VM. So if the card fails he should be able to grab any random card that works with ESXi and thanks to the magic of the ZFS file system things will keep on keeping on.

However that certainly is a concern I have about hardware raid. I wouldn't trust my array to a cheap card. Which means spending a lot of cash on it and then a lot of cash again if it fails. I think software RAID, particularly ZFS, makes a lot more sense for a personal NAS.

Of course those good, expensive, RAID cards seem to hold their value and stay useful long after the rest of the hardware has become obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Longinus00 posted:

What always scares me about raid cards is needing to have a 2nd one with the same bios should the first one ever give up the ghost. In a company you should have spares laying around but at home...

I've successfully added a RAID created under an Adaptec card to an LSI card with no issue, and many times used software tools to recreate broken hardware RAIDs for data recovery.

Of course that goes out the window if it's some kind of goofy/proprietary RAID (like Adaptec's 1E). But I don't think it's that big of an issue.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

BnT posted:

I'm very happy with my cheap raid card: IBM m1015, an 8-port SAS card which supports 3TB drives. I paid $70 for a used one on eBay. I flashed it back to an OEM LSI BIOS (see my previous post), and it's playing nice with ESXi and ZFS in passthrough. I'm not using the Microserver though, and not sure if you can get VT-d working on it.
Are you passing through the whole card or just doing RDM for the disks?

Longinus00 posted:

What always scares me about raid cards is needing to have a 2nd one with the same bios should the first one ever give up the ghost. In a company you should have spares laying around but at home...
ZFS doesn't use the raid functionality, he should be able to import his ZFS array with any card that supports the same functionality he is using to get the disks passed through.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Galler posted:

stick two 3.5" drives in the 5.25" bay

How the hell do you do this?

Also, can you run RAID 5? NewEgg indicates it only suppots RAID 0/1.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so I'm looking to run a Plex Media Server, but it looks like the thing only runs on Ubuntu right now aside from pre-built NAS devices which I don't have and don't want to spend money on. http://plexapp.com/linux/linux-pms-download.php

I already have everything I'm using set up with FreeNAS 7 (zfs, sabnzbd/etc)

am I right in thinking the path of least resistance is to go with xen/esx and put a fresh FreeNAS 7 for the storage and other bits (I'm fine with the way it's been working so far) and then I can add a second Ubuntu VM to do nothing but the Plex Server?

better question: which is better for home use, xen or the free esx? I'm using esx at work I guess although all I've ever done is manage VM's through vSphere so it's not like I know the difference)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

crm posted:

The built-in controller only does 0/1 for a Microserver. It does have a SFF-8087 connector that'll split to 4 SATA drives, but it's a pretty anemic little onboard SAS controller. You'll need a different controller in the PCI-e slot(s) to get hardware RAID5. Most people use software RAID with this machine I think.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

crm posted:

How the hell do you do this?

See these posts:

Tornhelm posted:

With the MicroServer, the "hack" is a bios update to allow it to run at full SATA speed on that port. The default firmware gimps the fifth port for some silly reason and the update just unlocks it.

If you don't want to do that, you can easily add in an 8 port raid card and run the drives off of that.

My test server at the moment is running 6x3TB (4 normal slots and 2 in the 5" bay using a Nexus Double Twin) in Raid 6 via an Adaptec 3805 card with the OS being run off of a 2.5" drive from the onboard ports.

Yes, I know that the 3TB's are overkill for a test server, but I got them at half price from someone selling off his microserver.

Vanilla posted:

Yeah, 2 x 2TB drives in the top. Saw someone managed to get FOUR 3.5" drives in that space with some fancy work.

I heard also that the top drive can get hot but it's still within safe operation for the drive. It's just it's hotter than all the others.

Pic below

Tornhelm posted:

Or if you're bored, a few Australians have got it upto 19TB (5x3TB, 4x1TB and a system + cache drive) all in that tiny case.

That last one is from this thread.

e: Oh and like necrobobsledder said if you get the right raid card you can probably just unplug the sas -> sata splitter cable from the motherboard and plug it into the raid card and run whatever hardware raid you want. Otherwise software raid is the norm with a mircoserver.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

adorai posted:

Are you passing through the whole card or just doing RDM for the disks?
ZFS doesn't use the raid functionality, he should be able to import his ZFS array with any card that supports the same functionality he is using to get the disks passed through.

I just pass the whole card into an OpenIndiana guest. Everything just showed up and worked.

Using that storage back in the ESX host seems to work best for me with NFS. Using iSCSI makes the ESX host take forever to boot up while it times out finding the target, where it just shows the NFS storage as being offline until that guest boots up.

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I just put together a computer that I want to make into a NAS and so far it seems to work.

I really liked the idea of drive pooling so I tried out Amahi with Greyhole. It was mostly straight forward to set up but I messed up my install the first time because it used what was to be one of my storage drives as the OS drive. Aside from that it's been pretty easy to configure.

My only problem is that I think I'm getting some slow read/write speeds on it. At first I was averaging about 25-30 MB/s and I figured that the low amount of RAM in the server was causing a bit of a bottleneck so I bumped it up to 4 gigs and that seemed to get my speeds up to about 40-50 MB/s. Is that a normal speed for file transfer over gigabit ethernet? for this type of set up? I think Windows Home Server can go faster, so I think I might have configured something wrong or something else might be the cause for a bottleneck.

Is there anything I can look for to see what would be causing a bottleneck or am I just expecting too much from this and the speeds are actually quite normal?

Here's what I've thrown together:

Gigabyte GA-945GME-DS2 Motherboard (Has everything integrated into it)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 Ghz
4 Gigs DDR2 6400 RAM
2 x 2TB Seagate Green Drive
1 x 200 gig WD Drive over IDE used for the OS (I know this is weird but the motherboard only has 4 SATA ports so I wanted to maximize the amount of drives I could use for storage)

It's definitely not an ideal set up but I'd like to be able to get as much as I can out of this for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

welp, I have failed in getting xen and Freenas to work. I have absolutely no idea how to work xen.

Meanwhile I tried to get up and running with esxi, but it seemed to want me to pay money and I thought the 1-server 1-CPU version was free?

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

Telex posted:

welp, I have failed in getting xen and Freenas to work. I have absolutely no idea how to work xen.

Meanwhile I tried to get up and running with esxi, but it seemed to want me to pay money and I thought the 1-server 1-CPU version was free?

Register here: https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/index.php?p=free-esxi5&lp=default

FYI, the free version is called the vSphere Hypervisor, with the 'real deal' being vSphere. In my eyes VMware does a pretty poo poo job with its product names.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

Go to the following link.
https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/p/activate.php?p=free-esxi&lp=default

Sign in and it should give you a link to ESXi 4.1, license key and then all you need is vSphere client.

Once you get the license key into 4.1 you are fine for free use.

e: beaten

e2: The new name is vSphere hypervisor and the old name is ESXi. Yet the downloads show as ESXi. They are very consistent with their new naming scheme :v:

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 16, 2011

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Devian666 posted:

Go to the following link.
https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/p/activate.php?p=free-esxi&lp=default

Sign in and it should give you a link to ESXi 4.1, license key and then all you need is vSphere client.

Once you get the license key into 4.1 you are fine for free use.

e: beaten

e2: The new name is vSphere hypervisor and the old name is ESXi. Yet the downloads show as ESXi. They are very consistent with their new naming scheme :v:

okay so the fun thing with all that is I did that, then installed off the .iso and everything looks peachy but when I start up the vSphere client it pops up a box that tells me to enter a license, I click on the link for entering the license and it sends me to a totally different webpage and it doesn't link to the free version.

Not sure what's going horribly wrong here.

Also, I'm not seeing my drives that are on the non-motherboard controller cards in the system.

code:
/dev/disks # ls
t10.ATA_____ST32000542AS________________________________________5XW1JJT7
t10.ATA_____ST32000542AS________________________________________6XW1VMWM
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS:1
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS:2
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS:3
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS:5
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS:6
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS:7
t10.ATA_____ST3500630NS_________________________________________9QG8TFRS:8
this makes me sad cause xen found all my drives and was happy except for the "hey, freenas seems to poo poo the bed" problem.

Looking around on vm-help.com maybe 5.0 doesn't support jack poo poo yet and I should have installed 4.1 instead?

edit: I now see that you said 4.1 and I guess things aren't clicking in my head. Time to re-re-re-install!

Telex fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 16, 2011

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
ESXi is a bit funny about what hardware is supported. You may need to add drivers to the install to get full support for your drives, as not everything is included in the install disc.

Some of the expert here may be able to help you.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

yeah 4.0 doesn't support them either. Kinda funny since the controllers are all probably 5+ years old.

http://www.bytedynamix.com/?p=93

I found that guy's compiled drivers that supports the chipsets so that's nice.

What's not nice is that I may have missed a checkbox or something and it looks offhand like one of my esx installs jacked 2 of my zfs drives and may have erased them. It SAYS 1.81 TB available for 2 datastores that I did not want to be blank datastores.

At least I have most of a backup. :smith:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Virtualisation is still a huge experiment for me. Though I need to take backups of some of the data and images stored on my server. I'm just starting to get to the point of restoring the server in the event of a hard drive failure would be rather time consuming.

Any data storage is replicated elsewhere on my network. Mostly for the reason you have described.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

haha okay so.

trip report:

This poo poo could give a guy an ulcer, but what's the fun in learning if you don't have a little risk of soul-crushing file loss?

using the above link as well as this:

http://blog.davidwarburton.net/2010/10/25/rdm-mapping-of-local-sata-storage-for-esxi/

I was able to throw vmware hypervisor 4.1 on the system, and get freenas installed AND the "datastores" that it thought it had, I suppose did not get erased after all. I made the disk mappings to the real disks and boom, Freenas after a couple of minutes of "no pool detected" which made me really sad, it finally imported my previous pool configuration and I'm off to the races!

Now I get to figure out the best way to share the ZFS pool out to the Ubuntu VM I'm about to install.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Do be careful about using ZFS with a VM keeping it running, Raw Device Mappings (RDMs) have different compatibility modes, and apparently you're supposed to use virtual compatibility mode with ZFS, not physical compatibility mode that is what you're supposed to use when directly exposing disks to any ZFS supporting OS.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
does anyone have a recommendation for an internal SAS or SATA expander? Ideally one that takes SFF-8087 or regular SATA ports and fans it out into SFF-8087 or regular sata ports?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

necrobobsledder posted:

Do be careful about using ZFS with a VM keeping it running, Raw Device Mappings (RDMs) have different compatibility modes, and apparently you're supposed to use virtual compatibility mode with ZFS, not physical compatibility mode that is what you're supposed to use when directly exposing disks to any ZFS supporting OS.

Wait what? Both those sound the same to me.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

Galler posted:

Otherwise software raid is the norm with a mircoserver.

What software are people running RAID5 with?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

well I used physical. What's going to happen when I power it down and change them to virtual?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

crm posted:

What software are people running RAID5 with?

Anything that can do ZFS is common such as Solaris, OpenIndiana, Nexenta, or BSD. The first three may or may not make use of the Napp-It 'package' and the forth may use FreeNAS.

Various flavors of linux with various packages are also used. I believe unRAID is fairly common.

I'm using Solaris 11 + Napp-IT with RAIDZ1 (raid 5) and am digging it.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i have some pci and pcie sata cards that i'm selling in samart, figured some of you here might be interested since they were for a home server build. check them out here.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

PraxxisParadoX posted:

Mind sharing what you tweaked exactly?

Try the kernel tweaks from this page:
http://learnedbyerror.blogspot.com/2009/09/lets-tune-er-up.html
I think I sized my tcp send and receive spaces to a few megabytes. I didn't save what exactly I did the last time and lost it after a reboot and didn't care enough to set it up again.

Edit: using 4k sectors and setting up ZFS on the raw gnop devices instead of gparted partitions is also really recommended.

heeen fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 17, 2011

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

code:
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: zpool I/O failure, zpool=bender error=86
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da5 offset=71659008 size=44032
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da7 offset=71659008 size=44032
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da8 offset=71659008 size=43520
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da6 offset=71659008 size=43520
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da5 offset=71659008 size=44032
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da7 offset=71659008 size=44032
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da8 offset=71659008 size=43520
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: checksum mismatch, zpool=bender path=/dev/da6 offset=71659008 size=43520
this ain't great is it?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Telex posted:

code:
Oct 18 17:15:16	freenas	root: ZFS: zpool I/O failure, zpool=bender error=86
this ain't great is it?
It's exactly what happened to me. I decided to kill the pool and start over.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

adorai posted:

It's exactly what happened to me. I decided to kill the pool and start over.

Is it possible to recover from an error like that? I've been out of the zfs loop so I'm not sure what error recovery tools they've had since their original no fsck policy.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Longinus00 posted:

Is it possible to recover from an error like that? I've been out of the zfs loop so I'm not sure what error recovery tools they've had since their original no fsck policy.

well, you can scrub now. It's not exactly fsck, but hey.

code:
pool: bender
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
	corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
	entire pool from backup.
   see: [url]http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A[/url]
 scrub scrub in progress for 5h37m, 23.74% done, 18h3m to go
seems to have found a handful of things to repair but holy crap that takes a long time to scrub.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Telex posted:

code:
	entire pool from backup.
seems to have found a handful of things to repair but holy crap that takes a long time to scrub.

I think scrub (or something like it) has been in since the beginning. All it's doing is reading each block and checking it against the checksum. I'm more curious about more drastic error recovery and from wikipedia it looks like you can now go back in COW time to mount a non corrupt state (if it can find one or you made a snapshot at some time).

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I assume this would be the right place to post this but is there a way to get linux to prioritize network transfer over other tasks?

I've got a spare part built server that I stream my AppleTV from and also functions as a SABNZBD+ server, when the system load gets high from unpacking a download the AppleTV stutters, lags ssh, and apache web requests are very slow. It's a Core2Duo E6550, 2gb ram, gbit intel nic, and a few 1TB hdds. Ram doesn't seem to be the issue, as it has never swapped - it's just a CLI box anyway, very few things running.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 19, 2011

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

Telex posted:

code:
	entire pool from backup.

what kind of zraid is this? Shouldn't it be possible to repair the defective blocks on one disk with the correct blocks from a redundant disk?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I assume this would be the right place to post this but is there a way to get linux to prioritize network transfer over other tasks?

I've got a spare part built server that I stream my AppleTV from and also functions as a SABNZBD+ server, when the system load gets high from unpacking a download the AppleTV stutters, lags ssh, and apache web requests are very slow. It's a Core2Duo E6550, 2gb ram, gbit intel nic, and a few 1TB hdds. Ram doesn't seem to be the issue, as it has never swapped - it's just a CLI box anyway, very few things running.

Maybe with nice? uudecode/ydecode from Usenet is actually surprisingly CPU (and I/O) intensive. Could you maybe setup a separate scratch disk only for SABNZBD?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

movax posted:

Maybe with nice? uudecode/ydecode from Usenet is actually surprisingly CPU (and I/O) intensive. Could you maybe setup a separate scratch disk only for SABNZBD?

The system sits at around .50 utilization when downloading in sabnzbd at 3MB/s-ish. Once it starts getting into par2 checking system load sits around 1.0. Unraring sends it well over 2.0 and sometimes into the mid 3 area.

edit: Actually, you know what, I think I am choking the hard drive. :v: It's one of the new Seagate 5900rpm 1TB drives.
code:
x@oortcloud:~$ sudo sar -d 5
Linux 2.6.38-11-server (oortcloud) 	10/19/2011 	_x86_64_	(2 CPU)

09:39:47 AM       DEV       tps  rd_sec/s  wr_sec/s  avgrq-sz  avgqu-sz     await     svctm     %util
09:39:52 AM    dev8-0    142.20  33713.60     70.40    237.58      2.21     21.00      6.75     96.00
09:39:52 AM   dev8-16      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00
09:39:52 AM   dev8-32      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00

09:39:52 AM       DEV       tps  rd_sec/s  wr_sec/s  avgrq-sz  avgqu-sz     await     svctm     %util
09:39:57 AM    dev8-0     37.00   5091.20  16427.20    581.58     53.02    926.32     26.81     99.20
09:39:57 AM   dev8-16      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00
09:39:57 AM   dev8-32      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00

09:39:57 AM       DEV       tps  rd_sec/s  wr_sec/s  avgrq-sz  avgqu-sz     await     svctm     %util
09:40:02 AM    dev8-0     18.20    254.40  15300.80    854.68    115.80   2974.73     54.95    100.00
09:40:02 AM   dev8-16      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00
09:40:02 AM   dev8-32      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00      0.00

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 19, 2011

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
What happens if you stream off a different hard drive than the one SAB downloads to?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I guess that is the plan now, all of the other drives are full so I was downloading to the drive that Ubuntu is installed to. Hmm, time to count my pennies and add another harddrive. :unsmith: I never thought I'd end up taxing a hard drive in any kind of home server setup I'd have.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

BlackMK4 posted:

I guess that is the plan now, all of the other drives are full so I was downloading to the drive that Ubuntu is installed to. Hmm, time to count my pennies and add another harddrive. :unsmith: I never thought I'd end up taxing a hard drive in any kind of home server setup I'd have.

The unraring is pretty disk intensive. In the Usenet megathread I believe there's some discussion about an ionice that will reduce disk usage.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

FISHMANPET posted:

The unraring is pretty disk intensive. In the Usenet megathread I believe there's some discussion about an ionice that will reduce disk usage.

Definitely look into ionice. I use -c2 -n4 in sabnzbd's prefs under ionice to put sabnzbd's disk io into the lowest possible priority and I have no problems with stuttering on smb when doing large unpacks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Thank you two. I set the ionice options as recommended, swapped out par2 from default to the multithreaded version, and added another 2gb of ram I found laying around. Should fly now. :)

I wish I had money to move to something faster with more storage.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

My file server at home is starting to get glitchy and I'm not looking forward to troubleshooting the hardware, etc.

I'm thinking about getting a 4 bay ReadyNAS and sticking four 2TB drives in RAID 5 - also using the NAS as my SABNZBD and maybe sickbeard host. Any obvious flaws with my plan? Any suggestions as to where I should source the NAS and/or what drives to use?

I've found a tutorial about getting SABNZBD running on the readynas, and I've got one sitting on my desk at work, so I'm generally familiar with its interfaces and whatnot.