Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

quote:

While I agree with Kvothe not being the greatest character, you just basically claimed that if a main character doesn't come out of a D&D manual, it can't be good fantasy. I think the general (and correct) consensus is the opposite. Good fantasy has realistic people, not super-heroes with dual wielding proficiency and +3 gloves of demon slaying. Not that I don't enjoy reading Brandon Sanderson or anything.

No. A main character or protaganist can be whatever he wants to be. But Kvothe is supposed to be a hero (I think), while lacking any real heroic attributes. In fact, its quite possible that the only reason he's even alive to tell his story is due to the evil tree-thing shaping his future in order to keep him alive longer and thus do more harm overall. Not particularly inspiring stuff.

Of course, Kvothe himself says he's not really a hero; but I think the implication that the author intends is to say that he's actually wrong, while I'm incline to agree with Kvothe.

Sophia posted:

Really? I think this makes great fodder for a fantasy novel. I enjoy the deconstruction of legends a lot, and it's certainly not rare to do that in fantasy; Martin made an entire book series basically about this idea and Pratchett lives there.

They're both considered non-traditional fantasy writers, though, where as Rothfuss is firmly in the traditional mold. A traditional fantasy novel where the main character doesn't have any real heroic attributes just feels off. Like reading "Joe Schmo goes to Hogwarts".

Also, to be frank, reading about a dude failing miserably is not particularly entertaining--not to me, anyway. You can open the newspaper and find countless stories of well-intentioned people loving up royally. Why would you want that in your fiction? I really doubt I'll be reading the next book in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

Vengarr posted:

They're both considered non-traditional fantasy writers, though, where as Rothfuss is firmly in the traditional mold. A traditional fantasy novel where the main character doesn't have any real heroic attributes just feels off. Like reading "Joe Schmo goes to Hogwarts".

Also, to be frank, reading about a dude failing miserably is not particularly entertaining--not to me, anyway. You can open the newspaper and find countless stories of well-intentioned people loving up royally. Why would you want that in your fiction? I really doubt I'll be reading the next book in the series.

I'm probably not understanding what you're saying here. It seems like you're saying Kvothe doesn't have heroic attributes, which is silly since he's the smartest, the best at magic, the best at loving ninjas and faeries, the best at playing guitar, the best at breaking bullies' arms, etc. He saves maidens in distress, he battles oppression, he fights dragons, and so on.

The problem -- both plot-wise and writing-wise -- is that he has too many heroic attributes and too little self control.

Then it seemed like you said he's failing miserably, which also doesn't make any sense since he's been wildly successful so far at all things except knowing how to talk to girls. Learning magic, learning to fight, making money, etc. We know he's somehow an innkeeper now, but we have no idea what led to that and whether it was "failure" or some other thing.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

soru posted:

I'm probably not understanding what you're saying here. It seems like you're saying Kvothe doesn't have heroic attributes, which is silly since he's the smartest, the best at magic, the best at loving ninjas and faeries, the best at playing guitar, the best at breaking bullies' arms, etc. He saves maidens in distress, he battles oppression, he fights dragons, and so on.

The problem -- both plot-wise and writing-wise -- is that he has too many heroic attributes and too little self control.

Then it seemed like you said he's failing miserably, which also doesn't make any sense since he's been wildly successful so far at all things except knowing how to talk to girls. Learning magic, learning to fight, making money, etc. We know he's somehow an innkeeper now, but we have no idea what led to that and whether it was "failure" or some other thing.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what mistakes he makes. Even when he does, there's no real penalty or punishment for it. I don't think he has any heroic qualities, he's just the best at everything. And because he's the best at everything, everyone believes Kvothe is awesome except for really terrible, shallow people who are stupid and ugly.

Which is a very weird parallel for the series. The more people insist that Kvothe is heroic, the more people think he is heroic. The more people insist that Rothfuss is a genius, the more people believe it without actually looking at it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

soru posted:

That's because I'm struggling to convey my point. I'm getting really tangled up trying to explain it, which may mean my thoughts aren't fully in order; let me try again anyway.

To wit:

Heroes are heroes because they are motivated by heroic impulses to do heroic things.

It never really feels to me like Kvothe is doing anything heroic, though--with certain exceptions. When he saves Fela. Killing the Draccus. Helping Auri. At most other times in the story, though, he is primarily motivated by self-interest or simple morality. Even when he saved the two girls from the fake Edema Ruh, he was more concerned about punishing the bandits for slurring the Ruh's good name. He does heroic deeds without heroic impulses. He's an above-average mortal with a mortals' sense of morality.

It's not a story about growth, either. Kvothe doesn't really change throughout the stories, except for when he meets Felurian and becomes a sex machine. If he was slowly becoming more heroic, I could understand the framing device better.

If these were presented primarily as side-stories to his hunt for the Chandrian, it wouldn't be so bad--but we already know he fails to kill the Chandrian, and anyway they barely appear in the story.

To me, the primary tension in the story is between Bast, Kvothe and Chronicler. Bast thinks that Kvothe is a hero. Kvothe is pretty sure he isn't, but as each of the epilogues suggest, he may have some doubts. And Chronicler is a neutral party whose opinion will sway Kvothe one way or the other. My problem is that the author is indicating we should agree with Bast, while I am instead inclined to agree with Kvothe.

anathenema posted:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what mistakes he makes. Even when he does, there's no real penalty or punishment for it. I don't think he has any heroic qualities, he's just the best at everything. And because he's the best at everything, everyone believes Kvothe is awesome except for really terrible, shallow people who are stupid and ugly.

To me, it's almost a deconstruction of the idea of heroism. Are you a hero because you do heroic things, or are you a hero for doing heroic things for heroic reasons? Can you be a hero doing petty things for heroic reasons?

Kvothe does heroic things, but he generally lays out his motivations so that you understand he's doing it according to his own nature. Is that good enough to be labeled a hero? Bast thinks it is. Kvothe is sure it isn't. Chronicler is just along for the ride.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

anathenema posted:

Which is a very weird parallel for the series. The more people insist that Kvothe is heroic, the more people think he is heroic. The more people insist that Rothfuss is a genius, the more people believe it without actually looking at it.

I think it's important to remember that everything we know about Kvothe's past is told to us by Kvothe himself. So of course he's the best at everything, and of course he comes out looking great from everything, because that's how Kvothe is telling it to Chronicler.

All the bluster that Kvothe puts into telling his backstory is contrasted with all the lack of those same things that he displays in the present in the framing story. The real problem I have with Rothfuss is that he spends too long in the backstory so that you forget we're supposed to be hearing this through the filter of a guy telling us how awesome his life has been now that he's old and washed up.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Dominion posted:

I think it's important to remember that everything we know about Kvothe's past is told to us by Kvothe himself. So of course he's the best at everything, and of course he comes out looking great from everything, because that's how Kvothe is telling it to Chronicler.

All the bluster that Kvothe puts into telling his backstory is contrasted with all the lack of those same things that he displays in the present in the framing story. The real problem I have with Rothfuss is that he spends too long in the backstory so that you forget we're supposed to be hearing this through the filter of a guy telling us how awesome his life has been now that he's old and washed up.

That'd be a great theory if Kvothe didn't poo poo on his feminine prowess in book one then his intellect in book two.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Dominion posted:

If this were true Rothfuss would still be a bad writer. In order to pull off the unreliable narrator schtick you have to drop hints and clues that what we're hearing isn't true. The Chronicler should be thinking to himself that things Kvothe is saying just don't match up, or there should be internal inconsistencies. Kvothe just lying and then on the last page going "nah I'm just kidding you" is not good storytelling.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

keiran_helcyan posted:

If this were true Rothfuss would still be a bad writer. In order to pull off the unreliable narrator schtick you have to drop hints and clues that what we're hearing isn't true. The Chronicler should be thinking to himself that things Kvothe is saying just don't match up, or there should be internal inconsistencies. Kvothe just lying and then on the last page going "nah I'm just kidding you" is not good storytelling.

The fact Kvothe can't use magic, is apparently unable to fight and refuses to sing doesn't hint something is fishy with his story? I mean, there doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with him but he doesn't act like the Kvothe of the story he's telling at all. And he's an admitted liar who spreads tales about himself to boost his own reputation, he tells us this outright.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Dominion posted:

This isn't supposed to be the story of a guy who's bragging about his past; it's the story of a guy who regrets basically everything he's ever done. He doesn't think his life has been awesome - that's basically the whole point. But obviously Rothfuss thinks his life was awesome, and therein lies the problem. I don't think it's bluster on Kvothe's part, it's lack of objectivity on Rothfuss's part.

He's also not really that old in the framing story anyway (maybe 24 or so).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sophia posted:

He's also not really that old in the framing story anyway (maybe 24 or so).

Wait really? I got the impression he was much older than that.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

Sophia posted:

e doesn't think his life has been awesome - that's basically the whole point. But obviously Rothfuss thinks his life was awesome, and therein lies the problem. I don't think it's bluster on Kvothe's part, it's lack of objectivity on Rothfuss's part.

I disagree with this. You can't talk the way Kvothe talks and not think many parts of your life have been awesome. I mean it even starts with that whole, "Maybe you've heard of me," speech. That's pure hubris. He doesn't like everything he's done, but he's surely got an ego about music and magic and brains.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Dominion posted:

Thsi doesn't really work well because both Bast and Chronicler practically worship Kvothe in the present day. Also he single-handedly kills a bunch of spider demons in an evening and has a dazzling intellect and a grip like iron and blah blah blah. The author is in love with his main character, which is what you often find with self-inserts.

Not once is it ever hinted that Kvothe's retelling is unreliable in any way. It's plainly evident that his inability to use magic is because of some event he hasn't revealed yet, not that he was never able to.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

soru posted:

I disagree with this. You can't talk the way Kvothe talks and not think many parts of your life have been awesome. I mean it even starts with that whole, "Maybe you've heard of me," speech. That's pure hubris. He doesn't like everything he's done, but he's surely got an ego about music and magic and brains.

Well, sort of, but I think there's a difference between him being proud of his talents and being proud of his life. He does know that he is amazing at doing things like magic and music, and he knows that people believe he is a legend, but his life story (to him) is of failure. He believes he always does the wrong thing because he had all of the skill anyone could ever want but constantly misapplied it to the detriment of, eventually, the entire world.

Whether or not the things he feels responsible for are ultimately his fault or not is debatable (Trebon's destruction, for instance), but I'm pretty convinced that Kvothe views his life as a tragedy of his own making and is telling it that way. But really, you're also right, because it's been hammered home time and again that his fatal flaw is hubris. It's unlikely that his hubris has vanished entirely even in his regrets.

IRQ posted:

Wait really? I got the impression he was much older than that.

At some point the Chronicler realizes that he's not really as old as you'd think:

quote:

He’s so young, Chronicler marvelled. He can’t be more than twenty-five. Why didn’t I see it before? He could break me in his hands like a kindling stick. How did I ever mistake him for an innkeeper, even for a moment?
Plus at the speed we're going through the story he can't possibly be that old by this point. Though of course, if he spends a lot of time in Fae in the third book he could be older in experience than he is in years.

Sophia fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 17, 2011

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Wow, that Jo Walton analysis is starting to make these books look good again. I have my doubts as to whether it's as preplanned as she thinks they are, but it's a fun read. I wish she had written the books as well now.

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008

Zore posted:

The fact Kvothe can't use magic, is apparently unable to fight and refuses to sing doesn't hint something is fishy with his story? I mean, there doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with him but he doesn't act like the Kvothe of the story he's telling at all. And he's an admitted liar who spreads tales about himself to boost his own reputation, he tells us this outright.

I agree with the others that Kvothe isn't embellishing or lieing about his life. He is telling his life which he knows is incredible, but a failure to him.

It is Kote who can't do the things hes speaks of. Names in this book are important and Kvothe has "forgotten" who he is. He is Kote the innkeeper, not the Kvothe he speaks of.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It looks like there's a pretty good chance there will be a delay before the third book as Pat's dad's lung cancer has come back. His mom died from the same thing right before the first book, and that was part of the reason for the delay of the second book.

Poor guy, every time he releases a book someone close to him gets lung cancer :(.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sorry to dredge up this thread from the depths of The Book Barn, but thanks for posting that in depth re-read. I'd missed a lot of little connections along the way (I'm usually pretty bad about picking those things up), so it's nice to see them all laid out pretty clearly.

Also a big fan of this book for some of the things it does, even if it has some weird and goony moments. We'll see how much that's affected with the 3rd book, since it's based on having a decent wrap up.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I just finished the books a few weeks ago, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I guess all the stuff about Kvothe being a Mary Sue didn't bother me, since as far as I could tell, just as much poo poo went wrong in Kvothe's life as it went right. I'm glad I read through this thread though -- I had picked up on Kvothe's mother being the Lackless sister, but I had never gone back and read the first few chapters. Kvothe's father's song with "Not tally a lot less" --> "Netalia Lackless" is fantastically witty.

As for the third book, I'm way more interested in what happens in the current timeframe, rather than how Kvothe's autobiography finishes. The scene in which Kvothe tries to light the demon on fire and fails was stunning, then depressing. It made me think a whole lot more about what might've happened to Kvothe before he resigned himself to being an innkeeper.

In any case, Rothfuss managed to spark up my desire to read fantasy again. I'm burning through Abercrombie's The First Law, and I'll probably read Sanderson or something similar next.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
This guy epitomizes gross creepy neckbeards. Gonna just repost this huge entry from his blog sperging about the Lord of the Rings movies complete with a weird creepy girl metaphor that spans several awkward paragraphs.

Patrick loving Rothfuss posted:

“But Pat,” I hear you say, “Why the concern? The Lord of the Rings Movies were good!”

Yeah. They were good movies. I won’t argue that. They were also moderately okay adaptation of the books.

And yes, I’m aware that referring to something as ‘moderately okay’ is the very definition of damming with faint praise.

Without going into it in any detail, (that would be a whole separate blog’s worth of post) my main problem with the Jackson adaptations is that they lose the subtlety of the original stories.

It’s like this: Tolkien’s books were full of subtle tension, drama, action, good characters, and a world of startling and immersive richness.

Jackson’s adaptations had some brilliant action scenes, great special effects, some pointless action scenes, drama, melodrama, a lot of panoramic cinematography, good casting, and an inexplicably Scottish dwarf with all the character depth of a Disney animal sidekick.

So I’ll say it again. Good movies. Ah hell. I’ll even admit that they were great movies just for that fight scene with the rock troll in Moria. But only moderately okay adaptations.

In the Hobbit trailer, I see the same thing happening. The Hobbit was a lighthearted story about a slightly bumbling average-Joe who goes off on an adventure and discovers hidden resources inside himself. (Spoiler alert.) It was fun. If the book came out today, it publishers would probably market it as YA.

While it had action and drama, it was not an action-packed Hollywood-style dramapalooza where Gandalf and Galadriel have emo makeouts.

I can tell in my bones that the movie is going to be chock full of scenes that were never in the original story. I’m not talking about a little extra dialogue here and there. I’m talking about completely invented cutaway scenes that stuff more action in, and subplots that were only barely alluded to in the book. My off-the-cuff prediction? At least 20 minutes worth.

It will be a good movie. Maybe even a great movie. But it will also be, at best, a moderately okay adaptation of the subtle, sweet book that I grew up loving.

You know that it’s going to be like? It’s going to be like wandering onto an internet porn site and seeing a video of a girl I had a crush on in high school. You probably knew someone like her. The smart girl. The shy girl. The one who wore glasses and was a little socially awkward. The one who screwed up the curve in chemistry so you got an A- instead of an A.

She was a geek girl before anybody knew what a geek girl was. And that was kinda awesome, because you were a geek boy before being a geek was culturally acceptable.

You liked her because she was funny. And she was smart. And you could actually talk to her. And she read books.

And sure, she was girl-shaped, and that was cool. And she was cute, in an understated, freckly way. And sometimes you’d stare at her breasts when you were supposed to be paying attention in biology. But you were 16. You stared at everyone’s breasts back then.

And yeah, you had some fantasies about her, because, again, you were 16. But they were fairly modest fantasies about making out in the back of a car. Maybe you’d get to second base. Maybe you could steal third if you were lucky.

And maybe, just maybe, something delightful and terrifying might happen. And yeah, it would probably be awkward and fumbling at times, but that’s okay because she’d be doing half the fumbling too. Because the only experience either one of you had was from books. And afterwards, if you make a Star Wars joke, you know she’ll get it, and she’ll laugh….

That’s the girl you fell in love with in high school. You didn’t have a crush on her because she was some simmering pool of molten sex. You loved her because she was subtle and sweet and smart and special.

So you stroll onto this porn site, and there she is. Except now she’s wearing a thong and a black leather halter top. She’s wearing gently caress-me red lipstick and a lot of dark eye makeup. Her breasts are amazing now, proud and perfectly round.

Someone’s taught her to dance, and she does it well. She’s flexible and tan. She has a flat midriff and walks like a high-class Vegas stripper. Her eyes are dark and smouldering. She has a riding crop, and she likes to be tied up, and her too-red mouth forms a perfect circle as she sighs and moans, and tosses her head in a performance designed to win any number of academy awards….

And what’s the problem with this? Well… in some ways, nothing. What you’ve found is perfectly good porn. Maybe even great porn.

But in other ways the problem is blindingly obvious. This girl has nothing in common with your high-school crush except for her social security number. Everything you loved about her is gone.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
God I found that last night. Properly skin-crawling stuff.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

So when a girl becomes a stripper she loses all humanizing traits, just like the LOTR movies did?

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

It's kind of hilarious that he doesn't realize that his fetishization of the nerdy girl in high school is exactly the same as the world's fetishization of her in porn, but for some reason his is supposedly sweet. "How dare you take the false personality I projected onto a real girl and change it into a different false personality that I don't like as much! It's so much less charming when I'm not in control!"

This might explain a lot about Kvothe and Denna.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Oh man, what a creep. Women must stay the fake innocent 16 year olds they will always be in my head! Gross.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I hope Patrick Rothfuss gets old enough to do what all older scifi/fantasy authors do when they get older: get really pervy. I want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This is why I avoid his blog and just read his books.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Holy poo poo, I had the feeling he had some Nice Guy-isms in him from his writing, but...goddamn. Dude has some issues.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

On the flip side, how many fantasy and sci-fi authors don't have issues?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Good point! Rothfuss seems to be among those that wear said issues on his sleeve, however.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

On the flip side, how many fantasy and sci-fi authors don't have issues?
1. Terry Pratchett
2. Ursula Le Guin? I think?
3. Joe Abercrombie (yet to be famous enough to say really offensive things in public though)

I'm out.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Did David Eddings really have any issues?

The two series of his that were identical (seriously, a hero chasing after a blue magical jewel with a sorcerer's help only to have to fight a god at the end?) were absolute amazing for me when I was 13-16 or so.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

This is why I avoid his blog and just read his books.
I was just going to check out the post and see what the comments were like on that post. His blog seems to be down.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
This series has been pretty good so far, assuming that Kvothe is an unreliable narrator, that the whole Denna thing is deliberately screwed up and that all the general sex/ women/ Adem weirdness is All According to Plan and will be revealed in the final book.

Posts like that just reinforce my suspicion that it's all a big Mary Sue goes on sexual conquest adventures in the repressed land of crazy women. :saddowns:

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 1, 2012

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

syphon posted:

The two series of his that were identical (seriously, a hero chasing after a blue magical jewel with a sorcerer's help only to have to fight a god at the end?) were absolute amazing for me when I was 13-16 or so.

Dude unabashedly wrote to a formula, he writes about it in a non-fiction book of his.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

McGrady posted:

I hope Patrick Rothfuss gets old enough to do what all older scifi/fantasy authors do when they get older: get really pervy. I want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes.

*cough* GRRM *cough*

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I think Rothfuss is worse than GRRM. Somehow I can tolerate "pervert old man" more than "creepy nice guy stereotype with reddit-quality views on women".

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Hahah oh dear, there's just been a new post with an alternative image he nearly used to symbolise the "selling out" of the Lord of the Ring films, summing up everything he thinks is awful about the films. This is that image:

Aka Felurian. This guy must have absolutely no sense of irony at all. :laffo:

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I see he says he was "too classy" to make a "wizard staff joke" but the enchanted forest joke is ok! God he's terrible at humor.

e. Still looking forward to Book 3 though

soru
Apr 27, 2003

That comic sums up book 2 pretty entirely.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Above Our Own posted:

I think Rothfuss is worse than GRRM. Somehow I can tolerate "pervert old man" more than "creepy nice guy stereotype with reddit-quality views on women".

I dunno, way more people defend GRRM and his lovely views on women. That to me is way worse.

Plus, at least Rothfuss has written a couple of decent women characters (the loan shark and the medic girl) without being a total weirdo about them. He has some nuance in his writing. I get the feeling that he sees most women as people and just has a major (MAJOR) problem with women he sees as love interests or sexual partners because he is a creepo. I'm pretty sure GRRM only thinks of all women, regardless, as victims, villains, or baby-obsessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I don't know that much about what GRRM has said and I've only read two of his books. I seem to remember Arya, Brienne, Catelyn, and Cersei being better written female characters than anything Rothfuss managed so I figured that apart from his penchant for weird sex stuff in his books that he viewed women normally.

I'm horribly wrong, aren't I?

• Locked thread