Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Rnr posted:

Whoever said that it looks angry was right. It's clearly meant to reflect the look of a 1%'er, over worked, stressed out about maybe having to downsize the yacht, so angry he could kick a couple of ungrateful poors.
I like the look, glad the bangle poo poo remains absent.

Here is a less angry live photo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I like it. It's pretty aggressive though it kind of looks like :getin:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Looks even better in the flesh, honestly, I can't wait to see one in the real world. Not so sure about the rear end end though...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

A lot of people on the internet are hating (go figure) on the lights being connected to the grilles.

Well, it just occurred to me that it's pretty much a throwback to the late 80s/early 90s of when the headlights and kidneys were not separated by sheet metal, appearing as one connected visual element. Personally, I like it, but I'm gay for the E30/E32/E34 era.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 15, 2011

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

I'm going to try to replace my starter on the E30 today.

Wish me luck :froggonk:

Okay, so the starter on an E30 is loving stupid. We gave up on the top bolt and are probably going to wait until I buy a clutch to do the starter. I'll just park on hills for the duration, because gently caress THAT TOP BOLT.

I'm going to weld those loving things to the bellhousing when I get it apart and be done with trying to get a wrench on the other side.

I just keep repeating to myself "It's fun to drive, it's fun to drive, it's fun to drive..."

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Icesler posted:

Anybody have recommendations on some rear brake pads for an E90? The dealership just tried to charge me $711 and keep my car for two days to replace them. Since the pads are not under my warranty, replacing them myself shouldn't void it right?

Axxis (PBR) Ultimate are my default street pad recommendation. Cheaper than OEM, good feel & performance, but not the lowest-dust option.

You won't void any warranty DIYing your brakes.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

Axxis (PBR) Ultimate are my default street pad recommendation. Cheaper than OEM, good feel & performance, but not the lowest-dust option.

You won't void any warranty DIYing your brakes.
Yeah I'll give a second vote for the Ultimates. Once they're broken in they have a nice linear feel to them, tons of grip, quiet, and very little fade (none?) even at the end of 2 10 stop bedding cycles in an e34 540i. They are dusty though, so if that bothers you then just get OEMs.

E: VVVVV I found at first right after breaking them in they were really really bitey, to the point where it was kind of hard to modulate. After a couple weeks though they evened out and feel pretty much ideal for the street for me. Probably depends somewhat on the car though, and 540s do have a kind of weird MC setup.

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 15, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wish they had more initial bite, but I'm being picky there.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Nthing ultimates here too... They are pricy but worth it. There is no fade at all.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If you want bite, try out the Hawk HP+. They'll pull you out of the goddamn seat if you so much as brush the brake pedal :D.

(They're also noisy as hell and dustier than a whore in the middle of the desert)

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
The new 3-series looks like a hybrid of the E92 coupe and the F10 5-series. It's not bad looking, but the nose seems a little scrunched and the rear end looks way too much like the F10. It's definitely trying for aggression over the traditional BMW sedan elegance, which I'm not sure if I like as a trend, especially given the frequent criticism of the F10 as being a step away from the driver's luxury car in favor of Lexus-like isolation and refinement. I hope we don't see the day when BMW uses an aggressive appearance to disguise a boring car.

e- I do really like the interior though, especially the asymmetrical center console.

an oddly awful oud fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 15, 2011

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I really like the F30 sedan; I didn't like either version of the E90, to be honest...the front end of it was really contrived. I like the E92 coupe quite a bit more though - with the F30 looking as good as it does now, the new coupe should be awesome.

My favourite feature of the new car so far? The M-Sport steering wheel:

:swoon:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
We'll see how it all shakes out eventually and what the regular sport package includes, but the estimate for that M-Sport package is $3,750+. I am not really getting the "Modern/Luxury/Sport" trim packages either.

I'll prob just order a "stripper" E92 M3 next year and be happy or if I am really insane maybe a 2009 997, btw what happened to the Porsche thread?

Also: I have had great success with the Pagid Red brake pads from Bavauto.com. They are a bit noisy but they bite like a motherfucker and are fine for light track duty on stock rotors. They don't seem to be shredding my rotors any more than oem pads as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

The Third Man posted:

If anyone is looking for the perfect E39 I found it: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1728052

I can't really justify buying a BMW yet, I knew this was going to happen if I kept browsing cars before I could afford buying another :smith:

What's with all the prickery over the M-Sport package? Isn't the price a touch high?

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

Keyser S0ze posted:

btw what happened to the Porsche thread?

gassed over class warfare.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Am I the only person who can see a bit of the Z4's droopy nose in the F30?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Yeah, so screw vinyl erasers, peanut butter, back to black, heat guns and all the other relatively dumb poo poo I've heard. I just went and cleaned the unpainted black plastic door trim on my e34 with some diluted acetone, and they look brand new. I guess it like actually dissolves the surface of the plastic a little bit so you can actually get off all that wax and other baked-in-Arizona-sun poo poo instead of just covering it up. Sounds scary, but works amazing.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Eej posted:

Am I the only person who can see a bit of the Z4's droopy nose in the F30?

Maybe a bit, but I also see more than a few cues from the E39 as well in the new car. Just goes to show how timeless the E39 really is.

Speaking of that, I just did a quick comparison; the F30 is longer, wider and taller than the E39. Just shows how much the 3-Series has grown in the last couple generations.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I really dig it, I just don't like how the headlights connect with the kidneys. Besides that it's a looker.

EDIT: Tried messing around in Photoshop, I think I know what BMW is going to fix with the inevitable facelift.

Also, dat rocker panel

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 16, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I need to replace the pair of post-cat O2 sensors in my 1996 328is. Guides on the internet suggest this isn't too difficult, and that bad post-cat sensors mostly just throw CEL and remove the computer's ability to diagnose catalytic converter problems because it can't compare O2 levels before-and-after. Anyways, in light of the less-than-critical nature of these post-cat sensors, is there any reason not to get the cheapest aftermarket replacements I can find? Prices seem to range from about $120 each up to about $220 for the OEM version.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

I need to replace the pair of post-cat O2 sensors in my 1996 328is. Guides on the internet suggest this isn't too difficult, and that bad post-cat sensors mostly just throw CEL and remove the computer's ability to diagnose catalytic converter problems because it can't compare O2 levels before-and-after. Anyways, in light of the less-than-critical nature of these post-cat sensors, is there any reason not to get the cheapest aftermarket replacements I can find? Prices seem to range from about $120 each up to about $220 for the OEM version.
Rockauto has some decent ones (Denso, NTK) that are only $70 each and come with the right harness and everything. You could probably find a cheaper 4 wire and hack it up, but I don't really know if that would be worth the savings to you.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone here bought a 1 series or taken European delivery or both? I'm considering a 128i M-Sport with European delivery I'm the spring.

I'm an E30 guy. Have had several and always said I would own a new BMW when I could easily afford one. Well, the time has come.

I'm imterested in any feedback or personal experiences.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Jealous Cow posted:

Has anyone here bought a 1 series or taken European delivery or both? I'm considering a 128i M-Sport with European delivery I'm the spring.

I'm an E30 guy. Have had several and always said I would own a new BMW when I could easily afford one. Well, the time has come.

The 1 series right now is as close as you can get to the E30 experience in a new car. I have to ask though if you are really against a 135i... the turbo charged motor is sweet as sex. With the M Sport package you will pretty much have as close as you can 1M coupe. Which itself is sweet as sex.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The 1 series right now is as close as you can get to the E30 experience in a new car. I have to ask though if you are really against a 135i... the turbo charged motor is sweet as sex. With the M Sport package you will pretty much have as close as you can 1M coupe. Which itself is sweet as sex.

The only BMWs with turbos should be diesels. I'm weird like that.

I know, the 2002tii.... Sigh

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

The only BMWs with turbos should be diesels. I'm weird like that.

I know, the 2002tii.... Sigh

If you haven't already, go test drive the 128 and 135 back to back, it has quite a bit more power and doesn't suffer from turbo lag at all (I wouldn't be able to tell it had a turbo if I didn't know beforehand).

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Am I really going to have to spend like $150 on transmission fluid? The BMW lifetime fluid is $152.95 for 5L, and of course my transmission needs 5.5L.
Is there a cheaper substitute?

edit: I guess it's important to mention that I would probably prefer to put this transmission on a regular fluid/filter change interval and NOT expect it to go another 125k on this fluid. Can I just chuck in some Mobil 1?

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 16, 2011

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

AlternateAccount posted:

Am I really going to have to spend like $150 on transmission fluid? The BMW lifetime fluid is $152.95 for 5L, and of course my transmission needs 5.5L.
Is there a cheaper substitute?

You can probably buy 6L of Redline D4 ATF (which is equivalent to Shell LA2634) for less - around where I live, it goes for about $23/L in 1L bottles. If you're not in :canada:, or if you can find an online retailer, you can probably do better on the price.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
I did a bunch of research about the 5HP30 a while ago, and there's really not anything special about it that requires crazy fluid. The "lifetime" fluid is just supposed to last better than what they were using in the old boxes, it doesn't really have super special properties, and the reason it is so expensive is because it was basically a special order batch just for those transmissions. There's other examples of BMW using crazy fluid in stuff, but other manufacturers using conventional fluids and having no problems, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

There are also a bunch of oils out there that have the Shell and/or Esso certs (not that it matters now) including cheap multi-vehicle ATF, which people have reported no problems with. If the transmission has ever had problems or been serviced in the past by anyone besides a dealer, it probably already has this stuff in it anyways. I'm going to rebuild the valve body on mine in a few weeks here, and I'll probably replace all of what ever is in there with Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc, which is like 20/gallon last time I looked.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Does bulb replacement in xenon headlights do much for intensity? I have an e46 with the ZKW self-leveling bi-xenons and the light coming from them is garbage. Like, worse than halogen stuff. I had my first long night drive this evening and the road was barely lit up at all. They have 115000mi on them now so I'm wondering if something in them is just going bad.

Even the high beams seem to be lovely - my headlights have the "flasher" high beams (where you pull back on the stalk) as halogen lights and they are about twice as bright as my regular high beams. I will try to get some pictures later but they are almost to the point of being unsafe to drive.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Crustashio posted:

Does bulb replacement in xenon headlights do much for intensity? I have an e46 with the ZKW self-leveling bi-xenons and the light coming from them is garbage. Like, worse than halogen stuff. I had my first long night drive this evening and the road was barely lit up at all. They have 115000mi on them now so I'm wondering if something in them is just going bad.

They will definitely have a life, albeit longer than incan bulbs. Earlier HIDs also had lower lamp life than newer ones.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Jealous Cow posted:

I went with my friend when he did European delivery when he got his E92. It was a pretty awesome experience even though I just tagged along; I'm sure it was a million times better for him. If you are able to do it, I would definitely recommend European delivery.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lowclock posted:

I did a bunch of research about the 5HP30 a while ago, and there's really not anything special about it that requires crazy fluid. The "lifetime" fluid is just supposed to last better than what they were using in the old boxes, it doesn't really have super special properties, and the reason it is so expensive is because it was basically a special order batch just for those transmissions. There's other examples of BMW using crazy fluid in stuff, but other manufacturers using conventional fluids and having no problems, but I don't remember off the top of my head.

There are also a bunch of oils out there that have the Shell and/or Esso certs (not that it matters now) including cheap multi-vehicle ATF, which people have reported no problems with. If the transmission has ever had problems or been serviced in the past by anyone besides a dealer, it probably already has this stuff in it anyways. I'm going to rebuild the valve body on mine in a few weeks here, and I'll probably replace all of what ever is in there with Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc, which is like 20/gallon last time I looked.

Thanks, I'll probably just do that and change it out every two years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The motor in my rear window took a big poo poo. I heard a whooshing sound, I figured the a window might be open. I flipped my switches and heard big pop from the right rear window. Then it slowly started falling down. I was hoping maybe It just came off the track and and tried to move it down. It barely inches down, won't go up. I tried pulling it up and it goes up a bit, but it's still attached to the motor because it won't move up too much. So I tried holding the switch up and pulling up the window which sort of worked until the thing thought it was getting stuck and tried to pull the window back into the door. Finally got it up and duck taped it shut. Guess I have to get that fixed soon.

As if I'm not already strapped for cash.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What series do you have? I tried the ziptie fix on my E46 passenger front window - which failed because the little clippy shits had already completely broken and one of the metal things that attach to the track already broke off. I bought a new but non-OEM window regulator for $53 at bmaparts.com.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have an 07 E90. Is there an easy way to get to the window regulator? In my old Lincoln, a friend broke my motor/regulator (all one part, thanks Ford) by trying to roll up the window when someone was leaning on it. I got the door panel off only to realize that the motor was behind some insulation and sheet metal. If it's easy to get to, I'd love to do it myself. I have a feeling that since this is a late model, it's not going to be easy to get to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here is your DIY video: http://vimeo.com/13163932
Here is your part number: Left door (51357140589) / right door (51357140590)

Looks like about $85, depending on where you get it. Not too bad.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Thanks, I'll look into this. Since the motor appears to work (it can pull the window down when it thinks the window is blocked, just won't work with the switch, can I just assume it's the regulator?

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cojawfee posted:

Thanks, I'll look into this. Since the motor appears to work (it can pull the window down when it thinks the window is blocked, just won't work with the switch, can I just assume it's the regulator?

It's always the regulator.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

Sterndotstern posted:

It's always the regulator.

999,999 times out of 1,000,000 isn't "always" :colbert:. On a related note, I think my front-passenger regulator is on it's way out on my E46.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barakus
Aug 4, 2005
Since we're talking window regulator failure, I've thought that I'd like to have something compact and forgettable that I can keep in the glove compartment to hold up a window when a regulator fails completely in arctic/rainy conditions. A small rubber wedge, perhaps. This sort of thing must exist, but I'm not sure what to google.

Lacking that, I try to fix regulators as soon as any window starts to show any kind of problem, but I could probably do a lot less door disassembly if I wasn't so paranoid.