Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I haven't even seen any series 6. Are they out yet?

Not yet, but the pictures have been floating around for a while.

More pictures of 2012 sets, official this time, I think, via Eurobricks

The theme for this year in City, apparently, aside from outdoorsy stuff, is ridiculously awesome vehicles and tons of new parts. Some highlights:

A bizarre new roof piece for cars. Why aren't the studs recessed!! This car comes with a camper.

Look at this truck. Look at it. It also has a new fender piece, like a cut-off version of the older one.

And have a detail of the new police station featuring my favorite stuff:

Ok, so we've got sweet rangers, a goddamn bear, and a good look at this new 1x2 brick with brick pattern on it. It's two sides are different, as you can see from the one under the sign.

There's tons more pictures at that link, but I had to put the highlights here.Most of those are cropped from larger set photos, so there's more to them as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuie
May 11, 2009
I've never been into town stuff but I might have to get that forest station. Those troopers are sweet, plus a goddamn bear.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
I think City is consistently my favourite theme. I've always coveted the cargo train and the cargo ship/dock sets. The recent planes and helicopters haven't been that great, all using that same one-piece cockpit section (the one the smaller Shuttle set uses), but that Chinook above looks really awesome.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Some of those sets I have seen leaked before but others were completely new to me.

That Mobile fire command center really is something else. Good to see City being reinvented with new sets, not just another police station, etc. Also nice to see the liberal usage of 2X1 trans blue and orange.

May have to get that Chinook, looks very interesting.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Hot drat, I hadn't paid attention to Town in years, now I want to buy up each and every one of those sets.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

BrainWeasel posted:

Can you post a cut-away / explode of what you did with the quarter-saucer pieces? I need to see if I can do it in meatspace.

Does this help?

It's radially symmetrical across the X and Y axis, so each quadrant is built exactly the same.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Mobile fire command center looks awesome. Like really cool. I used to love modular multi-vehicle stuff like that as a kid.

Also CHiPs minifigs. Oh yeah.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Lookit those racist southern sheriff's deputies.
"We get you flesh tone boys comin' down from your licensed theme sets and upsettin' the good yellow folks around here, and we plain ol' don't care for it. Not one bit."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I like how on the cover of that set the bear has chased some crook up a tree, suggesting that it is, in fact, a police bear. Deputy Bear, perhaps.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Well Manicured Man posted:

Does this help?

Perfect, thanks.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Is this out yet? Because I love helicopters. Especially the double-rotor kind.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

I want this Batcave. Now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That phone, man.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Holy poo poo, that Batcave is amazing.

I took the cockpit from my previous moc and did something different with it!

It's the same theme as the old one, chunky, asymmetric, and with a huge weapon, except smaller and slightly more dynamic. The color scheme is based on the Hyaku Shiki. Just imagine that the gold armor plating reflects laser beams or something.

Energy shields flip open.

The engine is actually behind the cockpit instead of in its own separate part, and is much smaller.

Our heroic pilot.

Gatling laser cannon :hellyeah:

And now the two of them together!

...Are the faces too cheesy?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That phone, man.

The coffee mug on the bat computer.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Mobile fire command center looks awesome. Like really cool. I used to love modular multi-vehicle stuff like that as a kid.

Also CHiPs minifigs. Oh yeah.

Looks like an updated version of the highway patrol figure from Series 2.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

IronSaber posted:

Is this out yet? Because I love helicopters. Especially the double-rotor kind.

Nah, it's a 2012 set, so it won't be out any earlier than December I don't think.

Good on them for not using that dumb molded cockpit on it though.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I haven't even seen any series 6. Are they out yet?

Err...I meant series 5. :downs:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Those life jackets are a new piece too if I'm not mistaken? Either way this is gonna be one of my must haves too.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

InfinEight posted:

Those life jackets are a new piece too if I'm not mistaken?

They're definitely different than the life jackets I have.

I for one want as many bears as possible :colbert:

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

GidgetNomates posted:

I for one want as many bears as possible :colbert:

I love all the new animals. I have been slowly working on a series of animal-themed mechs piloted by the animals they are based on.
I haven't gotten to the new goat yet but I am excited to do it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Phyresis posted:

Where did this come from?

I like how Batman is just holding Poison Ivy indefinitely in the Batcave. Nothing creepy about that.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

Those life jackets are a new piece too if I'm not mistaken? Either way this is gonna be one of my must haves too.

Didn't even notice that. They're nice.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Phyresis posted:

With Poison Ivy and Bane (and Robin too) it's almost like this set should have come out in 1997 with that awful movie.

This Batman looks a little too goofy for me, but the Batcave is at least as awesome as the one that came out a few years ago.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
This sale has been around for a week or two now, but I just found it and I'm now the proud (and broke) owner of two of these bad boys.

$104.99 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004P95ABG/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Phyresis posted:

Looks like sticker hell :( Hopefully these aren't as overpriced as the Star Wars stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That helicopter, the parts in it and the model itself! I must have it!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I don't like the Batcave at all, but I wasn't expecting to. I do like the chair though.

I've definitely got the LEGO bug now though. Unfortunatley I don't have the funds (well disposable funds) to get the stuff I want so it'll be a case of looking for things cheap for a while.... and with this comes the realisation of why colours are important and the fact that the cheaper the set the more likely it is to be loaded with primary colours and all the grays, muted blues and earth tones tend to be in the more expensive lines. I'm also completely addicted to the discount pages at Brickset for Amazon and Argos.

On a related note I've seen a few people talking about buying two of some rare sets, building one and selling the other down the track to pay for both. From previous experience people tend to exagerate about their success rate when doing stuff like this (to justify their addiction!). For those that do this do you have a fairly good success rate, or is it a bit hit and miss, or possibly more miss than hit?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

A couple quick redesigns, removing the neon pieces, and adding a couple tickertape machines and that batcave turns into Adam West batcave.

Hell just build around the phone and the "Bat Gear" sign. Motherfucking bat gear. I dig it.

Edit: I totally have to make an Adam West batcave now, all my series minifigs would make amazing 60's batman villains. The Mime, The Nurse, The Pharaoh.. oh god Im going to get my lego out at 2 am aren't I? :gonk:

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Oct 17, 2011

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

For those that do this do you have a fairly good success rate, or is it a bit hit and miss, or possibly more miss than hit?

I have never done this, but I pay pretty close attention to the secondary market. It's a pretty safe bet that any large AFOL-oriented set rockets up in price at least 30% after it goes out of print.

You of course have outliers also. Like Taj Mahal was available not that long ago on sale for $250. Now they go for well over twice that! I think these sets inflate so much because it would be hard to make the model without the official kit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looking through the rest of the sits in that Eurobrick link and drat if the new City vehicles arent just amazing, from the standouts like the helicopter to even the most ordinary vehicles. Never thought I'd want a garbage truck, but there you go.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm also completely addicted to the discount pages at Brickset for Amazon and Argos.
Not having a lot of luck with Argos. I bought Heroica Caverns of Nathuz from them when it was first released, and it ended up being the first one they reduced. I needed more microfigures and 2x2 jumpers, so I bought Castle Fortaan, and they reduced that a week later. Decided to buy something that I knew was already reduced, such as the Creator Log Cabin which has a nice selection of parts, and sure enough when I looked at the Argos web page it was back up to full price.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Argos tends to go out of stock really quickly if anything is significantly discounted as well. So it will sit there marked as 50% but they're out of stock. Not just LEGO, I'm regularly frustrated by seeing a good deal at Argos somewhere then finding they're out of stock. Amazon's stock seems to last much longer, but man their prices really fluctuate quickly, which is apparently all to do with price matching.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone in the central florida area goto the opening of Lego Land this weekend? Me and the girlfriend are planning a trip out there in a few weeks and just wondering what you thought of it.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

SynthOrange posted:

Looking through the rest of the sits in that Eurobrick link and drat if the new City vehicles arent just amazing, from the standouts like the helicopter to even the most ordinary vehicles. Never thought I'd want a garbage truck, but there you go.

Yes, yes I was surprised at how badly I wanted that garbage truck. I think I want it the most out of the new City sets. Well, that and any set with a bear. If the garbage truck set came with a bear I'd be set for life. Bears like garbage, right? All the new City sets should come with bears.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

SynthOrange posted:

I want that recycling center, and City is my least favorite theme because it's just so ordinary.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Saint Sputnik posted:

I want that recycling center, and City is my least favorite theme because it's just so ordinary.

All those DC and Marvel minifigs will need some ordinary stuff to smash up.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Wow that garbage truck does look awesome. I think it may be one of my favourites from the set.

Lego has definitely move away from the old :)

I like a lot of the new faces and their personalities, but deep down inside I will always love the simple smiles of old Lego.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
The car with the camper comes with an 80s-style clear wheel bicycle! Has it been a long time since they've used those, or do I just not pay a ton of attention to City?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The car with the camper comes with an 80s-style clear wheel bicycle! Has it been a long time since they've used those, or do I just not pay a ton of attention to City?

The last motorhome that came out had that too. Half the reason I got it.

Made me look up Lego bicycles on eBay and yikes $20 for a pink one.

e: Nice thread title change, though I'd have gone with "We don't want you flesh-toned boys upsetting us good yellow folk."