Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Front end washed out on me at 70+ mph on a dirt road yesterday. I belly flopped and slid about 200 feet over loose gravel into a briar patch. Thank god for ATGATT. All this while being a broken down middle-aged man still recovering from double knee surgery. I have no idea how I managed to pick the bike up and ride it home, cuz I can barely stand today. I realize in retrospect I COULD PROBABLY POSSIBLY MIGHT have been going a little too fast for the conditions...

As for the bike. A few more battle scars on the plastic and one cracked blinker cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Symphoric posted:

70+ mph dirt road ... I COULD PROBABLY POSSIBLY MIGHT have been going a little too fast for the conditions...

No chance, it was just your time to crash.

Glad you're ok, dirt and gravel sucks if you slide without gear though picking it out keeps you entertained while you heal.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's the proper technique for dirt and gravel on a dual-sport? I have pretty aggressive tires, but the one time I tried going semi-fast (30-40 on a fairly straight trail) I ate poo poo. Anecdotal evidence from ADVRider suggests that one should move pretty quickly on dirt trails, but I'm not convinced?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

What's the proper technique for dirt and gravel on a dual-sport? I have pretty aggressive tires, but the one time I tried going semi-fast (30-40 on a fairly straight trail) I ate poo poo. Anecdotal evidence from ADVRider suggests that one should move pretty quickly on dirt trails, but I'm not convinced?

How did you eat poo poo?

I've gone around 65-75 on dirt roads with 17s and street tires without an issue.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Z3n posted:

How did you eat poo poo?

I've gone around 65-75 on dirt roads with 17s and street tires without an issue.
I was going downhill on a dry gravel/dirt trail. I think my front tire crossed one of those little channels made by erosion and lost traction. I don't think I was braking at the time. I low-sided, and wound up breaking my left leg.

Confounding factors: heavy rear end KLR-650 with a full 7-gallon tank. Chunky-rear end rider. Knobby front and rear tires, but the rear was much newer. Progressive front springs.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

No chance, it was just your time to crash.
Curse you, twisted hand of fate! :argh:

The worst part is that I was on a road I've been down thousands of times, and I KNOW the surface gets all soft, mushy, and off camber at that particular spot. For some reason the alarm in my brain that warns me to slow down for it never bothered to go off this time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

I was going downhill on a dry gravel/dirt trail. I think my front tire crossed one of those little channels made by erosion and lost traction. I don't think I was braking at the time. I low-sided, and wound up breaking my left leg.

Confounding factors: heavy rear end KLR-650 with a full 7-gallon tank. Chunky-rear end rider. Knobby front and rear tires, but the rear was much newer. Progressive front springs.

Ahh, yeah, the 690 is a lot lighter, so that helps, and the thing about riding bigger bikes offroad is that you really gotta watch where the tires go.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
I was out riding the other day and managed to stumble upon a road in the process of being completely repaved or something. The road was removed and in it's place was just a bunch of gravel. Rather than turn around, I decided to see if I could ride through it. I didn't crash but I caught myself sticking my leg out around one turn like I was on my dirt bike because I felt the bike start to get out from under me.

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

^^ Speaking of that, one of the guys I occasionally do dual sport rides with sticks his leg out like we're on dirt on just about every corner, even at high speeds on pavement. Some day he's either going to have his foot ripped off or lowside and turn his groin to shredded ribbons.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Not my story but I've posted in the past about a friend who decided to buy a motorcycle a few months ago after being on the back of mine. He's reckless, I tried really hard to change his mind but it didn't work so I had to just accept he's going to kill himself. I also posted that he crashed his bike the day after getting it when practicing turning in a parking lot and a week before the MSF. Then someone crashed into his bike while it was parked by it's lonesome and it was in the shop for 3 weeks.

After he got it out of the shop he continued to ride like a dong and if there weren't enough signs to not ride (alot of close calls on the BQE) fate finally caught up to him. He was riding like an rear end in a top hat on the GW and didn't see that traffic was at a dead stop up ahead. He said he hit the rear end of a van at 30 MPH, he didn't even try to stop, he just slammed into it and the driver drove off. He shattered his collar bone in 3 places, you can move the bone around :/ He also hosed his knee up to the point he can't walk right now and his elbow was sticking out of the skin. Oh yea and the bike is totalled of course.

And he still wants to get back on. I've been in 7 minor accidents myself on dirt/gravel/oil but never this bad, I'm pretty sure I'd give up after that accident.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You can't save some people I guess, as much as it sucks. I can't convince my friend to get a smaller bike to start on and he barely has any experience driving (he gets crappy cars then kills them in 500 miles and scraps them, he's probably driven less than 1000 miles @ 22 years old when avg. for my friends that age in this area is at least 15k a year). The MSF costs 25 bucks here and I offered to pay and take it with him and he still won't do it. Right now he's looking at a ZX-6 to start on. I've become a broken record and am convinced I must sound like an annoying non-smoker to him, whenever I bring up a 500 or smaller and the loving MSF, so I've quit doing it.

The only thing that gives me calm is that he's so lazy and bad with cars that it's likely he'll buy something not running and it never will.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I just had an accident on my gsx-r.... right handed turn, hit some gravel and slid :( pictures coming, wearing leathers jacket + helimot gloves + boots + cortech textle overpants... some rash on my right leg looks like the pants didn't quite hold up, hole in my helimot right glove, some rash on my right palm, rest of me seems ok, didn't hit my head/helmet in anyway I think.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

infraboy posted:

I just had an accident on my gsx-r.... right handed turn, hit some gravel and slid :( pictures coming, wearing leathers jacket + helimot gloves + boots + cortech textle overpants... some rash on my right leg looks like the pants didn't quite hold up, hole in my helimot right glove, some rash on my right palm, rest of me seems ok, didn't hit my head/helmet in anyway I think.

Might just be heat burn from the friction.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
is that good or bad?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Neither. It's physics. Friction generates heat, which burns skin. But it's much better than gravel rash.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Ordered some ASV levers, and a replacement oem rearset off ebay, looks like I can get a replacement exhaust for 85$ as well, i'll work on getting a new fairing, i've learned the blue part of the fairing is a seperate piece from the white and the blue piece made it out unscathed, I guess a combination of the frame slider and bike big ol OEM exhaust took most of the slide, I happen to have an extra frame slider for the right side since I bought a replacement set recently.

My cortech overpants are absolutely destroyed, I was wearing my black workpants underneath and they didn't stand a chance. My right Helimot glove has a nice hole all the way through with a little rash on my palm to show for it.

It really sucked because I felt my self sliding on my right side/rear and saw my bike sliding away as well. :( I didn't take the turn any faster or slower than usual as part of my commute, I was going at a spirited pace I will admit but wasn't trying to race or anything.

Photos:

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

infraboy posted:

Money well spent :stare:

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
New rearset, new mounting bolt for your slider and you're good to go!

Good thing you're basically unscathed - perhaps leather next time for your lowers?

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007

stevobob posted:

Money well spent :stare:

Always get sliders. Statistically, you WILL crash at some point*.

*probably

Forty Two fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 17, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Goddamn I have crashed and seen a lot of crashed Helimot gloves...never seen them that chewed up. You must have had a lot of weight on your hands while sliding, and thank god you were wearing them and not something lighter, because that second layer of leather would have been what happened to your skin on most gloves.

Glad you're ok.

Was the crash on the same side that your dad dropped it on? ;)

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
That was a nasty slide man, glad you're ok. :) What's up with the screws in the boot?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

KARMA! posted:

That was a nasty slide man, glad you're ok. :) What's up with the screws in the boot?

Looks like they were holding a toe slider on. Past tense.

infraboy how fast were you going? Those pants got hosed. I went down around 45ish in some Firstgear textile pants and they wore through on the right knee, but didn't shred like that. Goddamn.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

needknees posted:

infraboy how fast were you going? Those pants got hosed.

JICK-SAAAAAAAR!

Ahem.

If the bike lowsided onto him before sliding away, the additional pressure could increase the destruction visited on his gear. Ask me how I know (don't, but you can guess, and it even involved a GSX-R).

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Had to layerdawn today. Second turn on my way to work, ice cold tires, went in about 10mph faster than I usually do for some dumb reason. Started to slide, tried to correct...kinda put the bike back in a straight line, where I promptly hit a patch of loose gravel and slid with the bike for a second. Let go and I rolled...I think twice? The bike went into the ditch. It's kinda hosed up, but the forks, frame, exhaust, and tank are all good. I haven't had a lot of time to really go over it, just kind of running %100, adrenaline starting to wear off, kinda sore.

I am loving dumb and this is completely my fault. Will post more pictures soonish.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Goddamn I have crashed and seen a lot of crashed Helimot gloves...never seen them that chewed up. You must have had a lot of weight on your hands while sliding, and thank god you were wearing them and not something lighter, because that second layer of leather would have been what happened to your skin on most gloves.

Glad you're ok.

Was the crash on the same side that your dad dropped it on? ;)

This is the first time I guess i've "lowslided" It all just happened so fast and I think I was being a dumb noob and tried to slow myself slightly after going down by inadvertently using my hands/palm when I should have just let myself slide more freely :( I was pretty much sliding on my right side of my body and butt.

Nope my dad dropped it on the left side :( Funny I replaced the left frame slider after his tip over and now have an extra right side one. I'm glad I managed to still ride the bike home, took me about 20 minutes on the side of the road trying to figure out why I couldn't restart the bike.... I didn't notice the kill switch was off.

I was probably doing a good 70 or so, like I said i've taken that turn probably over 100 times as it's part of my commute at the same speed and on different bikes/tires, theres a bit of construction in that area at the moment so i'm sure some fuckwad possibly dumped some gravel there or something, I just felt the front end hit some rough patch and the bike slid out.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=www.g...,29.21,,0,12.52
23002 Broadway, Sonoma, California, United States
If you check this part on google maps you can see the turn, it's where that yield sign is.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Mcqueen posted:

Had to layerdawn today. Second turn on my way to work, ice cold tires, went in about 10mph faster than I usually do for some dumb reason. Started to slide, tried to correct...kinda put the bike back in a straight line, where I promptly hit a patch of loose gravel and slid with the bike for a second. Let go and I rolled...I think twice? The bike went into the ditch. It's kinda hosed up, but the forks, frame, exhaust, and tank are all good. I haven't had a lot of time to really go over it, just kind of running %100, adrenaline starting to wear off, kinda sore.

I am loving dumb and this is completely my fault. Will post more pictures soonish.

oh no! not the new tuono. Glad you're OK though!

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
McQueen, this is the perfect chance to make it into a streetfighter and then...oh wait.

Get well soon :(

Actually, this is a great opportunity to take your fat insurance check and buy carbon EVERYTHING. :devil: Or alternatively, fit all the cycle parts from the Factory.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I'm not even going to post anymore when I get hit in a parking lot or gas station or the middle of the road and put the bike down at <5mph, breaking the left blinker and shifter. Three times this month.

In fact, I'm not going to repair those parts anymore. I put the blinker back together with electrical tape, and it sorta points forwardish. The shifter peg is now a 1/4-20 toggle bolt. That, I can bend back into shape, or replace for free.

At least I've got cool scratches on my armor now. No bloodstains yet, but at some point, someone will not be very nice after they dump me.

I'm looking into getting one of those one-piece fluorescent yellow oversuits like the euro cops wear. That may help a little. Right now, I've just got a bright reflective orange helmet and reflective orange safety vest, reflective tape on the wheels, and bright orange kneeguards. Probably not enough, being that I'm being hit in broad daylight in relatively open spaces.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
At some point you should realize your eyes might need work too. ;)

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I'm not even going to post anymore when I get hit in a parking lot or gas station or the middle of the road and put the bike down at <5mph, breaking the left blinker and shifter. Three times this month.

In fact, I'm not going to repair those parts anymore. I put the blinker back together with electrical tape, and it sorta points forwardish. The shifter peg is now a 1/4-20 toggle bolt. That, I can bend back into shape, or replace for free.

At least I've got cool scratches on my armor now. No bloodstains yet, but at some point, someone will not be very nice after they dump me.

I'm looking into getting one of those one-piece fluorescent yellow oversuits like the euro cops wear. That may help a little. Right now, I've just got a bright reflective orange helmet and reflective orange safety vest, reflective tape on the wheels, and bright orange kneeguards. Probably not enough, being that I'm being hit in broad daylight in relatively open spaces.
Uh... how many accidents have you had? Perhaps motorcycling isn't for you...

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Noo! Don't let this be an emerging trend of goons crashing their new bikes! I've been paranoid lately for some reason about dumping my 636, especially that it has no sliders. Why couldn't there be good no-cut sliders for that bike?

Glad there's no bad injuries.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Saga posted:

McQueen, this is the perfect chance to make it into a streetfighter and then...oh wait.

Get well soon :(

Actually, this is a great opportunity to take your fat insurance check and buy carbon EVERYTHING. :devil: Or alternatively, fit all the cycle parts from the Factory.

Hah! I said that to myself after I posted. "I could just...like...buy an LED light for the front and say gently caress it." I already have a front radiator coming, all I need for it to run is a clutch lever and reservoir. I'd get a new crash bung so it wouldn't get worse. The front parts are whats killer, the lighting surround itself is like 350 bucks. I might just let the bike chill this winter and wait for used parts online.

I considered sending it to insurance, but my deductible is poo poo and I don't need to be paying more for my own dumb gently caress mistake.

When I get home I gotta find a way to unlock the bike, when I turn the key it's like 'input code'. Hooray.

Sicarii
Sep 29, 2011
I was doing slalom practice in the parking lot today for the skills test. Everything was fine, until I went too slow on one cone and dropped the bike.. Unfortunately i tried to correct the lean by giving it some gas, but it was already too far over and hit pavement at speed, breaking the clutch lever and the gear shifter.

Ride of shame all the way home in first gear.

(get frame sliders)

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Hahah that sucks. I'm laughing because it reminds me when I was practicing for my skills test on my GS400. I, too, was practicing the slalom except I gave it too much gas and the tire slid out (lovely old tires and wet ground), causing me to lowside at 5 kph.. Which also broke the clutch lever. I had to jerry-rig an ATV lever onto it for the skills test the next day! Passed though!

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Chime me up as another who dropped their bike doing low speed maneuvers. Doing slalom and circles at too low a speed, bike started to tip, heel of my boot got caught on the peg and down i went.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is there anything for those of us who dropped it doing a no-speed maneuver? Pulled up, killed the engine, put the kickstand down*, stepped off and wondered why my bike was pushing me over. No damage other than my ego.

*attempted

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I must say, despite the thread title, goons seem to be VERY good at crashing bikes. I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Bondematt posted:

Is there anything for those of us who dropped it doing a no-speed maneuver? Pulled up, killed the engine, put the kickstand down*, stepped off and wondered why my bike was pushing me over. No damage other than my ego.

*attempted

I did just that in front of my ex-girlfriend, whom I hadn't seen in years.

Liquor. Liquor is good for that.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Its so sad to see all these pretty crotchies laying on their sides. Nothing more :cry: than a bike on its side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010
Unless it's an adventure bike. Then a bike on it's side is cause for celebration.

• Locked thread