Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll leave the Brutal Doom server up for a bit, but I have hosted a new Wolf3d server.

All you have to do is join to play,

Kazvall's Wolf3d - 24.151.62.64:27015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

Our heroes :911:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Hahaha the crouching Marine sprite. I love also how shooting in the Wolfenstein WAD causes the player to face the camera in third person.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Totally smoked the poo poo out of Hitler and his robot suit. :911:

It is a real bummer that NAZIS doesn't work with Skulltag. For a future session maybe we could try Hard Doom if other people are down. It replaces monsters with considerably nastier variants that have all sorts of unpleasant tricks. It's fairly ridiculous but I tend to enjoy it. Sometimes it ends up looking like some bullet hell shooter with all of the projectiles flying around.

Alternately that Modern Warfare 2 wad could be fun.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Go go rainbow crouching BJs!

Wolf3d was a lot of fun. So pissed that nazi doom2 wad won't work in skulltag. I'll probably host a Heretic++ server tomorrow night.

Otherwise...

Unreal Tournament event posting coming up soon...

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO
Never forget the Rainbow Tacticool Squad. :patriot:

A shame to hear that Nazis won't work, I was looking forward to playing that.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Wolf3D Skultag was a blast. It's a shame there aren't more cooperative Hitler-killing games out there.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, Brutal Doom is ramping up now. It's absolutely hilarious. The shotgun is just a constant headshot machine, an entire trail of headless corpses splatting against the ground with wet, squishy thumps, punctuated by the occasional explosion of gibs when they get too close. :black101:

Ugh. Honestly, it slightly depresses me there aren't 'modern' sprite-based FPS games with this sort of damage modelling and locational stuff. I think it'd work really well; the art allows for so much more freedom and the like in regards to battle damage. This is so often overlooked in games. :saddowns:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've been playing the Standard Doom 2 with the Brutal Doom mod and being able to jump really breaks the level design. Often secrets were on ledges that were just barely inaccessible to a regular doom player as you couldn't jump but now that you can it's basically like having all the free poo poo you want without having to do dick for it. Plus that super shotgun is so loving satisfying when a pinkie comes up to me and I turn it into a literal spray of red mist.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
For some reason using the PSX wad and Brutal Doom together bugs the jump function out, and you can't use it. I'm half-tempted to remove up/down aiming to replicate the intended experience further, but I think that might be way too frustrating in the long run given what I'm used to.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ddraig posted:

I've been playing the Standard Doom 2 with the Brutal Doom mod and being able to jump really breaks the level design.

If you're playing any sort of Vanilla level set, you should just unbind jump. A lot of modern-but-classic-style levels actually force a lock on jumping.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dominic White posted:

If you're playing any sort of Vanilla level set, you should just unbind jump. A lot of modern-but-classic-style levels actually force a lock on jumping.
Is there a general stance on up/down mouselook in vanilla levels? What I'm doing in Doom 2 is enabling mouselook, but disabling that "enemies are infinitely tall" (or however they phrase it) option. I figure this makes sense given the headshot mechanic, and won't really alter the game the way jumping would.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Minidust posted:

Is there a general stance on up/down mouselook in vanilla levels? What I'm doing in Doom 2 is enabling mouselook, but disabling that "enemies are infinitely tall" (or however they phrase it) option. I figure this makes sense given the headshot mechanic, and won't really alter the game the way jumping would.

Given that if you don't have mouselook, it just automatically shoots up or down for you, it really doesn't make much difference either way - it's just a personal control preference and doesn't give you any new powers beyond possibly splashing rockets off the ground.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I was playing Heretic the other day, coop, and was glad jump was turned off. As awesome as seeing everyone flying around is, think about the last time you jumped in real life. Now, I know not being able to climb up a small platform is pathetic. But, you know how when astronauts go into space they lose muscle ability?

How high is the gravity in hell?!

E:

I will be hosting a NeoDoom/Brutal Doom server for the day. That means 32 maps many haven't played, and new music/voices,etc. It's a lot of fun.

NeoDoom - 71.88.43.174:10666

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 17, 2011

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kazvall posted:

I will be hosting a NeoDoom/Brutal Doom server for the day. That means 32 maps many haven't played, and new music/voices,etc. It's a lot of fun.
NeoDoom - 71.88.43.174:10666

It was fun until we got to a huge rear end city and couldn't find the key card.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The best level was the one with the loving stadium.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does joining a server automatically download everything I need or what? I've not done multi on anything other than a playstation. :saddowns:

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

poptart_fairy posted:

Does joining a server automatically download everything I need or what? I've not done multi on anything other than a playstation. :saddowns:

Yeah, just make sure to configure wadseeker to download to your pwad directory.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

Everything except the game wad.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Does Brutal Doom play nice with NeoDoom? I know the latter adds a ton of its own weapons, enemies, pickups and usables. I'd totally be up for some co-op tonight though.

Edit: I just had a look at the server - no surprise you got stuck on Residential Ward. That level is hellaciously complex. Also, a lot of the Brutal Doom stuff seems to be half-overwriting Neodoom bits. You might want to change the load order so that Neodoom comes after Brutal, overriding anything it needs to.

Alternatively, just run NeoDoom - it's effectively a TC by itself.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 17, 2011

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Well, thanks to Rage, Skulltag crashes when I run it in OpenGL mode. I'm going to downgrade my drivers to try and fix it since I've beaten Rage (there's no final boss fight) and won't be playing it for a while. Which of version of the ATi drivers sucks the least for OpenGL apps?

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

Well, thanks to Rage, Skulltag crashes when I run it in OpenGL mode. I'm going to downgrade my drivers to try and fix it since I've beaten Rage (there's no final boss fight) and won't be playing it for a while. Which of version of the ATi drivers sucks the least for OpenGL apps?

I updated my drivers to whatever the standard release was when the BF3 beta started like a week or two ago and my OpenGL is working fine. Then again I've never had any problems with GZDoom and my ATI drivers so either I've somehow always managed to avoid the bad drivers or my 5970 is impervious to issues.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

If anyone wants to keep playing I can reload the NeoDoom server. Otherwise I might host something else.

Brutal Doom is loading first on my server, though. Not sure what the problem is. I know the rifle sound wasn't triggering when firing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Ugh. Honestly, it slightly depresses me there aren't 'modern' sprite-based FPS games with this sort of damage modelling and locational stuff. I think it'd work really well; the art allows for so much more freedom and the like in regards to battle damage. This is so often overlooked in games. :saddowns:

Combine it with something like Terra Nova's sprite compositing and it would be pretty boss.

That said, I think it might actually be harder than 3d modeling. If you're generating your sprites from multiple angles and animations of a 3d model, you might as well just use the model and let the player view it from any angle with as much animation fluidity as their system can keep up with. If you're drawing it by hand, now you need to draw every angle of every animation of every monster, and by the time you're halfway done that 3d modeling program is going to start looking pretty attractive.

On top of that, you lose flexibility. Headshot, arm shot, leg shot, torso shot, explosive, fire, electrocution, disintegration, etc? Each one of those is a separate death animation that needs to be drawn (again, from every possible angle, for every enemy). With 3d models you get a lot of those "for free" with some comparatively simple AI rules and generalized rules for how to decompose body parts into gibs or create a fire effect or the like. A game using 3d models can let you shoot off pretty much any body part with some rules for dynamically breaking apart parts of a model into gibs, so you can, say, shoot off that demon's legs at the knees even if the animators didn't specifically think of that possibility.

At this point, sprites don't really look more attractive than 3d models unless you're targeting a system that doesn't have the power for 3d, or you don't have the budget for it - and in both those cases you're going to be lacking either the space or the money for the amount of detailed animations you're talking about.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Kazvall posted:

If anyone wants to keep playing I can reload the NeoDoom server. Otherwise I might host something else.

Neodoom strikes me as fine for co-op - just run that by itself. Brutal Doom seems to conflict pretty bad. Is there any kind of admin/vote system? The option to skip levels like Residential Ward?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ToxicFrog posted:

Combine it with something like Terra Nova's sprite compositing and it would be pretty boss.

That said, I think it might actually be harder than 3d modeling. If you're generating your sprites from multiple angles and animations of a 3d model, you might as well just use the model and let the player view it from any angle with as much animation fluidity as their system can keep up with. If you're drawing it by hand, now you need to draw every angle of every animation of every monster, and by the time you're halfway done that 3d modeling program is going to start looking pretty attractive.

Didn't companies like id create their sprites based off of models that they took screenshots of from predetermined angles, and then touched up afterward? It's always amusing when you go on the Zdoom Projects / Skulltag Projects forum and find a thread with somebody trying to do "high resolution" versions of the original sprites by loving hand. There's no way to maintain any consistency at high resolutions without using a model (3D or physical) as a reference.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Id had physical sculptures, the ROTT team digitized pictures of random team members wearing goofy costumes.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'd like to execute the mapper who decided it would be wonderful to put the red key inside the building locked with the red key.

It was was a good thing brutal doom let me barrel-jump in the window or I would've never found it.

Also loading every map with vixens and cyberdemons.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So hey is Doom still going on because I'm down to play :shobon:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dominic White posted:

Neodoom strikes me as fine for co-op - just run that by itself. Brutal Doom seems to conflict pretty bad. Is there any kind of admin/vote system? The option to skip levels like Residential Ward?

We actually got passed it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

We actually got passed it.

And then got totally lost on the next level, which is just as convoluted.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Dominic White posted:

type callvote map mapname

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ToxicFrog posted:

At this point, sprites don't really look more attractive than 3d models unless you're targeting a system that doesn't have the power for 3d, or you don't have the budget for it - and in both those cases you're going to be lacking either the space or the money for the amount of detailed animations you're talking about.

:psyboom:

Ah, right, whoops. Truth be told I hadn't considered any of that so it seemed like a no brainer to me. I figured if they could whip up some 3D models, a handful of sprites wouldn't be out of the question; this is why I'm not an artist. :downs:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

0 rows returned posted:

Also loading every map with vixens

We agreed to never speak of that enemy type again! :argh:

Christ on a crutch. Neodoom starts out strong but then the levels get bigger and the enemies get stronger and it becomes pretty much a slog instead of fun to play.

Also I think I managed to bug out it's weapon selection. I picked up a grenade launcher and rail gun in single player and now I can't select them.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

whatever man Neodoom owns. That Vietnam-looking level where you spawn in and there are like a thousand fireballs flying out of the trees was totally radical.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

whatever man Neodoom owns. That Vietnam-looking level where you spawn in and there are like a thousand fireballs flying out of the trees was totally radical.

I just wanna know how the scoring works. I went afk for like 3 minutes and then had 2000 more points at the end.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Roobanguy posted:

I just wanna know how the scoring works. I went afk for like 3 minutes and then had 2000 more points at the end.

I set scoring to damage done instead of kills. Fine afk dps, my friend.

big fat retard
Nov 11, 2003
I AM AN IDIOT WITH A COMPULSIVE NEED TO TROLL EVERY THREAD I SEE!!!! PAY NO ATTENTION TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY!!!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Didn't companies like id create their sprites based off of models that they took screenshots of from predetermined angles, and then touched up afterward? It's always amusing when you go on the Zdoom Projects / Skulltag Projects forum and find a thread with somebody trying to do "high resolution" versions of the original sprites by loving hand. There's no way to maintain any consistency at high resolutions without using a model (3D or physical) as a reference.

What early FPS do you think had the best sprite work?

I always wondered if it would be possible for a sprite to have 32 sides instead of 8, and have cinema smooth animation. Would that require an entire engine rewrite of idTech1/Build?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

THE HORSES rear end posted:

What early FPS do you think had the best sprite work?

I always wondered if it would be possible for a sprite to have 32 sides instead of 8, and have cinema smooth animation. Would that require an entire engine rewrite of idTech1/Build?
It'd probably take a bit of engine modification, as Doom is optimised towards eight sides. More importantly, a 32-angle character with 30fps animation would eat up a lot of artist effort, disk space and RAM for no real benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They would still look wrong from certain angles with mouselook.

I wouldn't mind seeing more frames of animation though.