Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When it looked like the film would be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o

Even knowing what I know now, the first 30 seconds or so of that trailer still get me excited for Episode I.

An Episode I that never came...

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Whenever I think of Phantom Menace, I think of the Rifftrax bit where one of the guys says something like, "You know there was some guy who camped out for this thing for days and days in his Stormtrooper costume. And he's just sitting there in the theatre watching it, thinking 'Okay, well, maybe the next scene won't eat as much as this one.' But it does. Each scene EATS more and more than the ones before it."

That's how I'm going to feel during the 3D re-release in February.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When it looked like the film would be good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6hOlI9cg4o

You know, watching that trailer, I STILL get the little stir of excitement that the original trilogy gives me. Yeah, ok, there's a bit of comedy Jar-Jar in there, but the rest looks pretty awesome. How the hell did it end up so poo poo?

Also, puppet Yoda is still better than CGI Yoda.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Salsa McManus posted:

Has anyone seen/heard of The People vs George Lucas? I looked it up after seeing the shitstorm on Twitch about it. Apparently it is a documentary on George being a jackass, and fans being bitter?

I watched it last night. (It's on pay per view and probably due for a DVD release shortly.) Well-produced, but not overly insightful. Lots of blame toward Lucas, with heavy emphasis on how fans take such incredible ownership of his property (fan films/fan edits) that it really resonates when he does something perceived to be detrimental. Interviews with lots of people taking this poo poo waaaaaay too seriously. He's ultimately given credit for being fan-friendly in the sense he doesn't sue the Bejeezus out of everyone messing with his copyrighted material.

Worth a Redbox rental, not the $6.99 I paid Time-Warner.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
As an artist, I think it's only proper that an artist be allowed to edit their work however they see fit, no matter how long it is before they go back and edit it.
I even support destroying one's own artwork every once in a while.
The audience may not like it but it's the artist's prerogative.

But the problem here is that Lucas still views his work as art.
Most films, created with artistic intent as they may be, are product, not art.
Especially Star loving Wars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I've always understood that the issue was not Lucas changing the movies, but only giving us one choice for new versions of it. You can't buy the original theatrical releases on blu-ray, etc. and Lucas has no intention of releasing them anytime soon.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Flavor Bear posted:

As an artist, I think it's only proper that an artist be allowed to edit their work however they see fit, no matter how long it is before they go back and edit it.
I even support destroying one's own artwork every once in a while.
The audience may not like it but it's the artist's prerogative.

1. It's not "his" work. The credits have a lot more names than George Lucas, and more people worked on Star Wars than are even in the credits.
2. Artists can and do chose to alter or destroy their original works. It's a whole 'nother ballgame to systematically suppress copies of the original.
3. "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society."

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The other night while sick I had a fever dream in which I completely re-imagined the prequel trilogy. I have to write it down somewhere just in case I ever get the chance to produce my own space operas.

Palpatine wasn't a puppetmaster supervillain, he was a heroic general along the lines of Caesar or Napoleon, a Thrawn-like genius, commander-in-chief of republican forces during the Clone Wars. In order to triumph he resorts to terrible atrocities, of which the senate approves, but which gradually twist his spirit. The Jedi Order wasn't a thriving corps of thousands of magical space warriors, but insular, monastic, detached from galactic affairs, even impotent. Obi-wan and Anakin are high-spirited young men who choose to defy the Order to fight in defense of the Republic. Anakin becomes Palpatine's devoted lieutenant, while General Kenobi begins to have his doubts as the war becomes more ruthless in its final stages. As the conflict is concluded the Jedi Council attempts to move against Palpatine for his crimes. Anakin and Obi-wan have their showdown, and almost in self-defense Palpatine takes brutal steps to consolidate his power, including annihilating the Jedi Order, pushing him beyond hope of redemption. Anakin-Vader is broken and embittered, but retains a sliver of his humanity -- for him, it was always about ending the destructive conflict, by any means necessary.

I know it's terribly indulgent to post this here, but when I recovered I was really pleased that in a state of delirium my brain could come up with a classically tragic narrative that would have fit what we know from the OT perfectly. So much wasted potential with the PT.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Speaking of tragic things, I just finished the Stover novelization of RotS, and add me to the list of people impressed by it. It doesn't completely save or redeem the movie, but it does a good job trying, and one of the big things it did, which stood out for me, was that it was written to be a tragedy. Since it pretty much is supposed to be that--it's the darkest hour for Anakin Skywalker--I thought this was a very good adjustment.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
So in the Battle of Yavin Luke is Red 5 and Wedge is Red 2. So after Red Leader smears himself on the Death Star surface and Luke starts barking out orders, shouldn't Wedge have been all "gently caress off farmboy, I'm runnin' this bitch now"?

Also, the lenses in the Vader mask in ANH must have been thinner or a different color because you can see Prowse's eyes and eyebrows in several scenes. :laugh:

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So in the Battle of Yavin Luke is Red 5 and Wedge is Red 2. So after Red Leader smears himself on the Death Star surface and Luke starts barking out orders, shouldn't Wedge have been all "gently caress off farmboy, I'm runnin' this bitch now"?

Even if the numbers beyond "Red Leader" were just for ID, Luke was the FNG in the squadron anyway. Makes me want to see Operation Flashpoint sounds pasted over scenes from ANH.

Wedge: "Oh no, ONE is down! This is TWO, taking command."

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Arschlochkind posted:

Even if the numbers beyond "Red Leader" were just for ID, Luke was the FNG in the squadron anyway. Makes me want to see Operation Flashpoint sounds pasted over scenes from ANH.

Wedge: "Oh no, ONE is down! This is TWO, taking command."

I always liked the lack of defined military chain of command in situations like this. It made the Rebels seem more "realistic" in the sense that they weren't as organised as the Empire. I always imagined the atmosphere up there was one of confusion... none of the pilots were THAT experienced, they're kids, farmers, volunteers. Their leader just got taken out, they're flustered, distracted, trying to shake off turbolaser battery fire and TIE fighters. It would probably come as a relief to hear someone come over the radio and take charge.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Can you imagine the reaction in the command center?

"Luke you're switched off your targeting computer and taken command of our last squadron even though you have zero combat experience and you are all that's separating the entire Rebellion from destruction. Everything ok?"

"Oh yeah, everything's fine. I'm using the force." :shepface:

":stare:"

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"Luke you're switched off your targeting computer and taken command of our last squadron even though you have zero combat experience and you are all that's separating the entire Rebellion from destruction. Everything ok?"

And then a civilian pilot decides to fly his cargo ship into the middle of a military operation. I like to imagine it as a present day operation in iraq, and some redneck piloting his cargo plane with some machine guns taped to the wings turning up.. "yeeehaww guys! thought you could use a hand"

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 16, 2011

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The only difference would be that the Rebels would've logically been the insurgents in that situation :jihad:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Nessus posted:

The only difference would be that the Rebels would've logically been the insurgents in that situation :jihad:

Message received, the Force = Islam.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Jack of Hearts posted:

The other night while sick I had a fever dream in which I completely re-imagined the prequel trilogy. I have to write it down somewhere just in case I ever get the chance to produce my own space operas.

Palpatine wasn't a puppetmaster supervillain, he was a heroic general along the lines of Caesar or Napoleon, a Thrawn-like genius, commander-in-chief of republican forces during the Clone Wars. In order to triumph he resorts to terrible atrocities, of which the senate approves, but which gradually twist his spirit. The Jedi Order wasn't a thriving corps of thousands of magical space warriors, but insular, monastic, detached from galactic affairs, even impotent. Obi-wan and Anakin are high-spirited young men who choose to defy the Order to fight in defense of the Republic. Anakin becomes Palpatine's devoted lieutenant, while General Kenobi begins to have his doubts as the war becomes more ruthless in its final stages. As the conflict is concluded the Jedi Council attempts to move against Palpatine for his crimes. Anakin and Obi-wan have their showdown, and almost in self-defense Palpatine takes brutal steps to consolidate his power, including annihilating the Jedi Order, pushing him beyond hope of redemption. Anakin-Vader is broken and embittered, but retains a sliver of his humanity -- for him, it was always about ending the destructive conflict, by any means necessary.

I know it's terribly indulgent to post this here, but when I recovered I was really pleased that in a state of delirium my brain could come up with a classically tragic narrative that would have fit what we know from the OT perfectly. So much wasted potential with the PT.

Palpatine would have to be an evil force user either way though. (It was already established in RoTJ and other places) If you can work that in then you made a great story.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

NtotheTC posted:

Message received, the Force = Islam.

Finally, someone understands the truth.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Mister Roboto posted:

Finally, someone understands the truth.

By order of Emperor Palpatine, PBUH

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Luke was told drectly by his CO "Luke, take red 2 and 3. Hold up here wait for my signal and start your run"

Then after red leader is shot down he states "Hey there, i just lost my starboard engine, get set up for your attack run"

Luke takes his shot, hits it, flys away.. What movie were you watching where he took command? ;)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think I remember a discussion about fan-edits before but is there a synopsis for the types of edits in each one? I remember some people talking about guys who would just put it in its original theatrical form and other people who would tweak and make their own Lucas additions.

I feel like sifting through them would result in different degrees of assburgers thrown in.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Then after red leader is shot down he states "Hey there, i just lost my starboard engine, get set up for your attack run"

I always thought it was "stay there," not "hey there." As in, "I'm about to die anyway, stay up there and don't get killed trying to rescue me." Does somebody have the script or closed-captions handy?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

I always thought it was "stay there," not "hey there." As in, "I'm about to die anyway, stay up there and don't get killed trying to rescue me." Does somebody have the script or closed-captions handy?

It's definitely, "Stay there,".

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE
I need help identifying a tune that popped into my head. I THINK it's from OT Star Wars.

Here I am playing it on the worst keyboard they ever made:

http://tinyurl.com/6h3f5an

I'm sure somewhere between my distant memory and working out how to actually play it, it will have ended up a bit wrong, but if it's from Star Wars then I'm sure someone here will at least recognise what it was before I got it wrong. The bit I most think is right is what happens immediately after the first two rising notes, really.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Buml0r posted:

I'm sure somewhere between my distant memory and working out how to actually play it, it will have ended up a bit wrong, but if it's from Star Wars then I'm sure someone here will at least recognise what it was before I got it wrong. The bit I most think is right is what happens immediately after the first two rising notes, really.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think it's probably Luke and Leia.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Buml0r posted:

I need help identifying a tune that popped into my head. I THINK it's from OT Star Wars.

Here you go. Starting at about 2:28.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Buml0r posted:

It may just be the MIDI-ish way the keyboard sounds, but that tune is giving me serious flashbacks to Wing Commander. Particularly your last two notes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chupe Raho Aurat posted:

Luke was told drectly by his CO "Luke, take red 2 and 3. Hold up here wait for my signal and start your run"
I think that's where Luke responds by nodding. Yeah, I'm sure the guy in another spaceship a mile or so away will pick that up.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Payndz posted:

I think that's where Luke responds by nodding. Yeah, I'm sure the guy in another spaceship a mile or so away will pick that up.

Wookieepedia probably has an explanation for that too.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Zat posted:

Wookieepedia probably has an explanation for that too.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Z95-Head-Knod-Transmission

quote:

One of the features of the Z-95 Headhunter was the ability for a pilot otherwise engaged in combat to signal his squadmates through head movements. The followup starfighter, the X-wing in use by the Rebel Alliance and later the New Republic kept this behavior as evidenced by Luke during the Battle of Yavin. [2]

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Go to hell :(

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Thank christ you were joking.

Then again, this is the wikia that has articles on windows, toilets, loving tap faucets, and sinks (sinks of course being confirmed in the ROTS commentary).

86,536 wikia pages. Good. loving. God.

Buml0r
Sep 15, 2003

WIGGLE HE

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Here you go. Starting at about 2:28.

Thaaat's it, of course it is. I thought it was one of the end titles, but I couldn't find it for some reason. Thanks! :)

Edit - does that same melody show up elsewhere in the film, or is it just in the end titles?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Buml0r posted:

Thaaat's it, of course it is. I thought it was one of the end titles, but I couldn't find it for some reason. Thanks! :)

Edit - does that same melody show up elsewhere in the film, or is it just in the end titles?
It's the musical cue played when Yoda is lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hazo posted:

It's the musical cue played when Yoda is lifting the X-Wing out of the swamp.

More generally, it's Yoda's Theme.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Fox of Stone posted:

I think I remember a discussion about fan-edits before but is there a synopsis for the types of edits in each one? I remember some people talking about guys who would just put it in its original theatrical form and other people who would tweak and make their own Lucas additions.

I feel like sifting through them would result in different degrees of assburgers thrown in.

Off the top of my head, here's three popular youtube ones:

Phantom edit: Possibly the earliest one, basically just cuts most of Jar Jar and Anakin. No real changes.

Magnoliafan: Editor who REALLY likes details. Changes Jar Jar and all the alien dialogue to a different language so they have darker dialogue in subtitles instead. Likes making in-jokes for fans with edits, like changing Dooku's saber yellow. Not the best writer, but at least tries. Also has a weird sense of humor.

http://www.youtube.com/user/magnoliafan78#p/u/0/uq5nxaUebIA

Adywan: Editor big on Special effects, likes fixing errors, like the wrong laser color and such. Very big on "comparison" edits. Has some good talent when it comes to adding more effects, I must say.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6ldJJanD4c

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 18, 2011

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

You know, that's how hosed up Star Wars is now. I assumed you were telling the truth, and that the article really was there, until I saw Pesky Splinter's post saying you were joking. This is what Star Wars EU has done to me.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

Payndz posted:

To be fair, I find myself absentmindedly nodding or waving goodbye on the phone sometimes. But I can be a bit of a dumbass.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NGL posted:

To be fair, I find myself absentmindedly nodding or waving goodbye on the phone sometimes. But I can be a bit of a dumbass.

No that's human actually. Psychologists have demonstrated that humans are so used to making gestures in conversation they do it on the phone (you likely do it more than you realize).

The odd part is that Luke just nods, doesn't give an audio confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

RagnarokAngel posted:

No that's human actually. Psychologists have demonstrated that humans are so used to making gestures in conversation they do it on the phone (you likely do it more than you realize).

The odd part is that Luke just nods, doesn't give an audio confirmation.

Don't they have like video communication too?