Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

eightysixed posted:

Is there some sort of repository for CM7 themes?

If you're hunting for themes, you can always query for them on Android Market.

There are also some themes available on XDA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
I think I just recently saw an app that got a ton of CM7 themes in one place. I might have dreamt it, ill do some research later.

Zamo
May 3, 2009

Codiusprime posted:

I think I just recently saw an app that got a ton of CM7 themes in one place. I might have dreamt it, ill do some research later.

It's called N3xGen Theme Manager (Beta), I'm on my phone now so I can't provide a market link.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Today I installed a new kernel on my G2x: Faux's kernel with the DS battery driver (as opposed to the CM one since this supposedly gives better battery life). I don't know what any of that means, just that the battery is a random number generator again:

I haven't recharged it, so maybe it's a side effect of that, but drat.

:lol::lol::lol:

If it makes you feel any better I still can't get my girlfriend's CM7 G2x to mount its SD card to any computer in existence. :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I (and evidently many other people posting reviews on the market) have been having force close issues starting the latest superuser update. It can be solved by going to settings, applications, superuser, and clearing the data for the application. Sure you lose your pre-approved root application settings but at least the force closes go away.

I didn't see any mentions in the thread but I figured I'd post in case someone browsing was having a similar problem.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Are there any decent roms for the Evo 3D while I wait for CM7?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptBubba posted:

I (and evidently many other people posting reviews on the market) have been having force close issues starting the latest superuser update. It can be solved by going to settings, applications, superuser, and clearing the data for the application. Sure you lose your pre-approved root application settings but at least the force closes go away.

I didn't see any mentions in the thread but I figured I'd post in case someone browsing was having a similar problem.
That doesn't solve my problems with either PicMe or Samba Filesharing.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

blargle posted:

CleanROM is really nice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LastInLine posted:

That doesn't solve my problems with either PicMe or Samba Filesharing.

Yeah, seems like a different issue. The problem I'm talking about is that every single SU request would force close as soon as it was requested by an application.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

blargle posted:

Warm is really good. It runs well, is clean, and has good battery.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm getting a Motorola Droid 1 soon and I have some quick questions:

1. Is Bugless Beast still considered the best ROM for the Droid? I get the impression that it may be outdated, plus all the download links for the latest version are dead.

2. I'm getting a used phone and I want to know the best way to completely wipe out the old data so there is no chance of lingering viruses/malicious programs. What's the easiest way to do this?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

StickFigs posted:

I'm getting a Motorola Droid 1 soon and I have some quick questions:

1. Is Bugless Beast still considered the best ROM for the Droid? I get the impression that it may be outdated, plus all the download links for the latest version are dead.

2. I'm getting a used phone and I want to know the best way to completely wipe out the old data so there is no chance of lingering viruses/malicious programs. What's the easiest way to do this?

1. Everything for the OG Droid is outdated. Cyanogenmod is probably your best bet for something that will be reasonably well-maintained, but you probably want to stick with 6...the Droid doesn't have the RAM for 7.

2. SBFing the phone will completely wipe it back to stock. Here's a guide:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-rooted-help/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

If you don't mind my asking, why are you going for a Droid 1? It's positively ancient at this point, and you should be able to pick up something that will blow it away (Droid Incredible, X, or 2) for not much more. The D1's anemic RAM is really crippling even if you stick with Froyo. Unless you're getting an insane deal on this phone (as in, it's going to be free), the experience you're going to get will be pretty bad.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My brother got a new Inspire and I'm trying to root it for him. I downloaded that Ace Advanced Hack Kit thing, ran it, and it's been on:

code:
Exploiting device...
0+1 records in
0+1 records out
384 bytes transferred in 0.005 secs (76800 bytes/sec)
--set_version set. VERSION will be changed to: 1.31.405.6
Patching and backing up partition 17...
Error opening backup file.
Starting update process....
               erasing 'cache'... OKAY [  1.571s]
finished. total time: 1.572s
Be patient - sending update ...
      sending 'zip' (18223 KB)... OKAY [  2.949s]
                 writing 'zip'... INFOadopting the signature contained in this i
mage...
INFOsignature checking...
for about an hour now. Is this normal? When I rooted my Inspire in March the procedure was completely different so I don't know.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

Updates will sometimes fail if certain things have changed. Grab the update from XDA or something, pre-rooted.

Does anyone have a link for this? I checked XDA but am awful at navigating their forums and couldn't find anything like it. For those not following along with my plight, I'm looking for a pre-rooted version of the last OTA update for an X2 cause it won't let me do it OTA.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Inspire works fine but I can't get it to downgrade. I followed the instructions here and I played a stock 2.2 ROM on the SD card but when it gets to the bootloader it freezes when I select the HBOOT menu.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I followed all the instructions for rooting the Evo 3D with revolutionary.io, installing a custom recovery, etc. The phone shows S-OFF, but I don't have root, despite installing the superuser zip file twice in the recovery rom. Any ideas what I missed?

Edit: guide was missing a step, fixed

blargle fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 16, 2011

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Penguissimo posted:

1. Everything for the OG Droid is outdated. Cyanogenmod is probably your best bet for something that will be reasonably well-maintained, but you probably want to stick with 6...the Droid doesn't have the RAM for 7.

2. SBFing the phone will completely wipe it back to stock. Here's a guide:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-rooted-help/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

If you don't mind my asking, why are you going for a Droid 1? It's positively ancient at this point, and you should be able to pick up something that will blow it away (Droid Incredible, X, or 2) for not much more. The D1's anemic RAM is really crippling even if you stick with Froyo. Unless you're getting an insane deal on this phone (as in, it's going to be free), the experience you're going to get will be pretty bad.

So which would be better for the OG Droid then? Cyanogenmod 6 or this that says it includes improvements from Cyanogenmod?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

StickFigs posted:

So which would be better for the OG Droid then? Cyanogenmod 6 or this that says it includes improvements from Cyanogenmod?

You probably want to stay away from Gingerbread-based ROMs like that one—most reports of GB on the OG Droid have not been favourable. Of course, it's up to you what constitutes acceptable performance, so it's worth giving it a shot, especially when the phone is new and you don't have as much to lose by frequently flashing ROMs. Just know that people who are satisfied with the performance of Froyo ROMs (like CM 6) on the OG Droid are frequently disappointed when they switch to Gingerbread ROMs like that Pete one. Pete's done great work on the OG Droid, but even he can only do so much to overcome the limitations of having only 256 megs of RAM.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Penguissimo posted:

You probably want to stay away from Gingerbread-based ROMs like that one—most reports of GB on the OG Droid have not been favourable. Of course, it's up to you what constitutes acceptable performance, so it's worth giving it a shot, especially when the phone is new and you don't have as much to lose by frequently flashing ROMs. Just know that people who are satisfied with the performance of Froyo ROMs (like CM 6) on the OG Droid are frequently disappointed when they switch to Gingerbread ROMs like that Pete one. Pete's done great work on the OG Droid, but even he can only do so much to overcome the limitations of having only 256 megs of RAM.

Thanks for the info, I think I'll go with CM6 then.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CaptBubba posted:

I'm experiencing the same issue, but that doesn't fix the force closes for me. Anyone else having this problem?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

StickFigs posted:

I had good luck with Liquid Gingerbread on my OG Droid.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I just installed Cyanogenmod 7.1.0 on my Incredible, and it's phenomenal compared to the stock ROM, or the Skyraider Sense ROM I was running. The only issue I've noticed it that it seems like charging is much slower than it was before. ANy other Incredible owners have the same issue? My battery usage has gone from ~70-80% battery usage to ~40-50% over my 9 hour workday, so the better power management is worth it. It just seems like it takes at least 2 hours to get back to a full charge after work, where the Skyraider ROM would go from 30% to 90-95% in less than an hour.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
They've fixed the Bluetooth/deep sleep issue on the SGS2 in the CM7 nightlies, and my battery life is so good now!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I've looked through the last few pages, and I didn't see anything about this. I've rooted my Droid X after getting the recent update from late September. I want my wireless tethering back but the app I was using doesn't work and nothing can connect to my phone. Can anyone help me out?

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Oct 17, 2011

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

I've looked through the last few pages, and I didn't see anything about this. I've rooted my Droid X after getting the recent update from late September. I want my wireless tethering back but the app I was using doesn't work and nothing can connect to my phone. Can anyone help me out?
What ROM are you running? Anything Gingerbread based usually has USB and wireless tethering built in to your network settings by default.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
After installing Warm rom my car steering wheel controls no longer change music tracks over bluetooth, is this a common thing to break with custom roms? Really don't want to go back to stock as everything else is much improved.

Kegwen
Feb 22, 2003

Anyone have a strong opinion on Droid X roms? CM7's maintainer for the DX seems to be taking a break and the camera doesn't really work. It's mostly great aside from the lack of camera, but I thought I'd ask around.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kegwen posted:

Anyone have a strong opinion on Droid X roms? CM7's maintainer for the DX seems to be taking a break and the camera doesn't really work. It's mostly great aside from the lack of camera, but I thought I'd ask around.

There's a zip you can flash over CM7 that gives you back the Blur camera. If it hasn't come up by the time I leave work I'll post it for you.

therealNeoS
Jul 13, 2001

Kegwen posted:

If you haven't flashed revNumbers version of CM7DXGB then you're not in the now.

Use that with the MIUI camera and it's a great and stable ROM.

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?3335-DEV_THREAD-DroidX-CM7-with-Gingerbread-Kernel

Take a peak. The last build was on 10-6 and this is what I'm using. Great battery life, and no random crashes. Some minor issues though.

You can also get ROM Manager. revNumbers puts his builds on there.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I was just looking over my catlogs before updating my bluetooth issues,
do any of you know what's going on here?
code:
10-17 08:33:14.514 D/WifiService(164): ACTION_SCREEN_OFF
10-17 08:33:16.546 D/WifiWatchdogService(164): (android.server.ServerThread) XXX (00:15:e9:f4:2e:aa) does not require the watchdog
10-17 08:33:18.208 D/WifiService(164): ACTION_SCREEN_ON
WifiLock{NetworkLocationLocator type=2 binder=android.os.BinderProxy@40a87eb0}
10-17 08:37:56.961 D/WifiService(164): releaseWifiLockLocked: WifiLock{NetworkLocationLocator type=2 binder=android.os.BinderProxy@40a87eb0}
10-17 08:38:55.610 D/WifiService(164): acquireWifiLockLocked: WifiLock{NetworkLocationLocator type=2 binder=android.os.BinderProxy@40c06a10}
10-17 08:38:56.941 D/WifiService(164): releaseWifiLockLocked: WifiLock{NetworkLocationLocator type=2 binder=android.os.BinderProxy@40c06a10}
10-17 08:39:55.630 D/WifiService(164): acquireWifiLockLocked: WifiLock{NetworkLocationLocator type=2 binder=android.os.BinderProxy@40c06a10}
with hundreds of lines of the wifi service releasing and acquiring below it

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I've seen that before when connecting to AP that used WPA/WPA2 mixed authentication. Try locking the AP to either WPA or WPA2 instead of mixed. From what I understand it's Android dropping WiFi authentication.

Edit: Please note that I am far from informed on this and the mixed authentication might be a symptom rather than the direct cause. I could be very very wrong.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Kegwen posted:

I've been using the 1.9.30 build of MIUI for a while now, and it's just beautiful. The MIUI camera, as mentioned earlier, works as well.

The newer versions of MIUI are currently using the Motorola Defy as a new base for updating (1.9.30 was the last iteration of the previous base, Motorola Milestone), so I'd probably hold off until they get their bugs/kinks out of the way.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Speaking of cameras, can a camera app make a difference in the actual picture or video quality? or is all the jpg/3gp compressing done with built in to android encoders?

I see people talking about the htc sense camera saying it's "the best" but is that just in looks/ui? or does it do better videos/picures?

I'm running cm7 on my inspire, was using the miui camera until the cm7 camera got tap to focus. Every once in a while I'll make a vid or take a pic that I don't think is as good as it would have been on stock sense but then I'll start comparing some sesne and cm7 pics/vids side by side and usually can't see where one is worse or better.

I do wish I could still tap to focus while recording vid like sense had.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Wagonburner posted:

Speaking of cameras, can a camera app make a difference in the actual picture or video quality? or is all the jpg/3gp compressing done with built in to android encoders?

I see people talking about the htc sense camera saying it's "the best" but is that just in looks/ui? or does it do better videos/picures?

I would doubt very much it takes pictures any differently but the option set is much much better.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've seen that before when connecting to AP that used WPA/WPA2 mixed authentication. Try locking the AP to either WPA or WPA2 instead of mixed. From what I understand it's Android dropping WiFi authentication.

Edit: Please note that I am far from informed on this and the mixed authentication might be a symptom rather than the direct cause. I could be very very wrong.

I'm going to keep looking into it, I am seeing an increased Wifi usage in my battery log. it could be a symptom of something funky.

I did recently download wifijumper to try and keep my phone on the strongest wifi in overlapping zones, but it's been off for a while now. It seems to work ok, but it almost negates the battery savings in continual scanning in favor of faster browsing, rather than targeted re-connection when needed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
CM7 question. I could have swore there was an option that set the PIN style lockscreen to unlock after putting in the PIN and not having to press OK. I can't find it anywhere. Am I smoking crack?

Edit: Found it, I'm blind. Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Lockscreen Options > Unlock Options > Quick Unlock :doh:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I just recently rooted my Inspire 4G with CM 7.1.0; it's pretty cool.

I do have one problem though, when I run the Gmail app, it doesn't automatically sync or give me notifications in my status bar. It's annoying.

Anybody have a clue what's going on here? I've tried fixing permissions in ClockworkMod and it didn't do the trick.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Kegwen posted:

There's a zip you can flash over CM7 that gives you back the Blur camera. If it hasn't come up by the time I leave work I'll post it for you.

It's hella old, but it fixes some stuff that the latest nightly broke.

Here's the old one
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?1073-Camera-Camcorder-Torch-Fix-for-CM4DX

And a newer one
http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?1347-All-In-One-Fix-Zip-for-CM4DX

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Just picked up the t-mobile version of the galaxy S2. Without an actual home button I am finding the instructions to get the phone into download mode / recovery mode aren't working. Am I missing something obvious?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Treytor posted:

Just picked up the t-mobile version of the galaxy S2. Without an actual home button I am finding the instructions to get the phone into download mode / recovery mode aren't working. Am I missing something obvious?

Usually its hold down the power key and either the up or down volume button (one will probably o to the bootloader, the other recovery but I forget which is which).

Tread carefully though, there are far more differences than just button layout.