Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
It's more likely that it's inserting too *high*. Flip it inside out :) You can thank me later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Avalinka posted:

I had trouble with the dry run too - also, why do they recommend the c-fold on the packet instructions? It's so bulky. Things went way more smoothly when on my period and using the 7-fold. So far I have to squat with my knees up to the sides like a frog for successful insertion - not dignified, but it works!

C fold is definitely too big but the 7 fold is too hard for me to hang on to, especially when it's slippery. I've found a half punch down to be most effective for myself.

quote:

I was worried about not being able to get at it without the stem too - but after a couple of days I got the knack of doing kegels to get it lower and grabbing it. I've also realised my cervix is to the left - everytime I went to find the cups stem it was on the right, which surprised me.

That might be why mine leans to the right. Good to know it gets easier. I've only been at it for a few days but it has definitely been getting easier. I might take the plunge (ick) and trim it next cycle.

quote:

Quick question - how often do you HAVE to empty it? Compared to some of you I have the lightest periods. Is it fine just to empty morning and night?

I've been emptying every eight hours but I've noticed it's never more than a quarter full. I think there's actually less blood when I use this thing. Is that possible?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

Tamgerine posted:

I don't know why I'm suddenly having so much trouble with mine! I'm getting like, massive leakage. I'm considering switching back to tampons at night just so I don't have to get woken up five times with blood everywhere. Am I not inserting it far enough or something? This is driving me mad!

Make sure the holes near the top aren't clogged up, and make sure that it is opening fully so you get a good seal.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Croisquessein posted:

I think there's actually less blood when I use this thing. Is that possible?

I think that tampons are just deceptive as to how much blood there actually is. It looks like there is so much but I don't think that it really is.

Avalinka
Nov 4, 2009

Tamgerine posted:

I don't know why I'm suddenly having so much trouble with mine! I'm getting like, massive leakage. I'm considering switching back to tampons at night just so I don't have to get woken up five times with blood everywhere. Am I not inserting it far enough or something? This is driving me mad!

When mine leaked the first night the holes were clogged up when I pulled it out. I was only woken up a little early though (the ladies with heavy periods are going to hate me even more now, mine seem to almost stop overnight until I'm up and moving again). I hadn't quite got the hang of checking it had popped open fully either, and had been really tired when putting it in.

ThreeFish
Nov 4, 2006

Founder and President of The E/N Log Cabin
Trip report time!

I received my Fleurcup in time to use for this period. Thought I'd post my impressions for anyone with similar menstrual problems. I went from a size 2 Diva (stem removed and flipped inside out)to a size large Fleurcup (stem removed and flipped inside out).

PROS:

The holes are drilled at an angle. This may not sound like an amazing thing but it is! The holes don't get clogged up at all and just running it under water clears the holes out completely. Yay!

It holds a lot more. Honest. I took a leap of faith and didn't set any alarms for while I was sleeping last night. Last night was the night between days 3 and 4 of my period and normally have me dumping quite often. I slept all night and it was barely at capacity this morning. To be fair, I just turned 38 last week and I have been noticing a lot of changes in my periods recently and think I may be starting the wonkiness that is pre pre-menopause. So I do believe my flow is slightly reduced this month anyway, but the Fleur really does hold a lot more.

It's colored, so doesn't start showing the ugly discolorations my Diva does.

CONS:

It is bigger. A flipped Diva has a shotglass shape that is tapered at the bottom. The flipped Fleur bells out at the bottom. This puts even more pressure on your bladder making it difficult to pee AT ALL if you've a very full bladder and a very full cup.

The bottom of the flipped Fleur is rounded rather than having the distinctive shotglass edge the Diva has that made removal easy since there was a ledge to pinch on to. I'm not finding it difficult to remove the Fleur, but it is certainly harder than removing the Diva.

That's all I can think of for now. All in all, I am very happy I bought the Fleurcup. If you are a dumping fool and want to sleep longer than you can with the Diva, I highly recommend it.

humanROBOT
May 14, 2008

Avalinka posted:

(the ladies with heavy periods are going to hate me even more now, mine seem to almost stop overnight until I'm up and moving again)

Holy cow, I thought I was the only one that had a nighttime "pause" button. I used to think there was something wrong with me when I'd see ads for "overnight" pads and become somewhat confused as to why they were necessary.

My meluna came in today! So quick, only about a week to get to me in Canada. And they sent me two extra cups! A blue M with slight colour aberrations and a blue L softcup likewise. So I thought about it and if I were to use these one at a time, for ten years each .. I could potentially use them until I hit menopause :| Physical changes/ childbirth/ wanting a pretty new cup, etc notwithstanding

:aaaaa:

I can't really tell if it's fully opened/ if I'm doing it right, but I have no leaks and I can't feel it so I guess that's a step in the right direction. I'll get used to it, I'm sure.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
My MeLuna leaked this morning. I forgot about it and left it in for ~24 hours. oh cups.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
Maybe because I haven't used mine yet, but I don't see what the deal with the holes is? Why are they there?

Hiilai
Jun 13, 2009

ThreeFish posted:

It's colored, so doesn't start showing the ugly discolorations my Diva does.

For anyone else who doesn't fancy having this problem: Soak the cup in hydrogen peroxide for about 12 hours. I just did my orange Meluna with 3% solution and it looks like brand new.

I think transparent cups are more prone to discoloration, but doing this a few times a year should do wonders.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pancakes McGee posted:

Maybe because I haven't used mine yet, but I don't see what the deal with the holes is? Why are they there?

The holes help prevent the dreaded vacuum seal effect. Whenever you empty out your cup, make sure the holes are clear before putting it back in.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Right, I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't want to wade through posts so sorry in advance! I'm thinking seriously about taking the plunge, especially now I'm a poor uni student and half-decent products are expensive. Which of the brands comes with the highest recommendations? I'm in the UK and I had a quick look on Amazon where Divacup, Lunette, Mooncup and Femmecup all seem to be available. Obviously to an 'outsider', they all look to be much-of-a-muchness, so I was wondering which is best for a beginner.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Bollock Monkey posted:

Right, I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't want to wade through posts so sorry in advance! I'm thinking seriously about taking the plunge, especially now I'm a poor uni student and half-decent products are expensive. Which of the brands comes with the highest recommendations? I'm in the UK and I had a quick look on Amazon where Divacup, Lunette, Mooncup and Femmecup all seem to be available. Obviously to an 'outsider', they all look to be much-of-a-muchness, so I was wondering which is best for a beginner.

My first cup was a DivaCup but I think the general consensus around here is a Medium MeLuna. Sadly you won't know if you like a cup at first until you actually try and wear it a bit.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
What are your periods like? The biggest issue is really that if they're heavy, that will dictate certain choices.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

There's also the matter of how low your cervix is, but you're not terribly likely to know that unless you've been using a cup already.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

slinkimalinki posted:

What are your periods like? The biggest issue is really that if they're heavy, that will dictate certain choices.

Heavy (but not soaking through anything - change a heavy flow tampon every 5ish hours, I guess) for a couple of days then they taper off pretty quickly - 'normal' for like a day then spotting for a few days after that. It's another reason I'm thinking of a cup, so I can stop buying different absorbencies of tampons and then wearing an icky pad for the last days.

What about things like the ball/ring end vs the stalk? I've seen most people here go for the latter and trim it, but are there any experiences with the other designs?

And no, no idea about my cervix.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Bollock Monkey posted:

Heavy (but not soaking through anything - change a heavy flow tampon every 5ish hours, I guess) for a couple of days then they taper off pretty quickly - 'normal' for like a day then spotting for a few days after that. It's another reason I'm thinking of a cup, so I can stop buying different absorbencies of tampons and then wearing an icky pad for the last days.

What about things like the ball/ring end vs the stalk? I've seen most people here go for the latter and trim it, but are there any experiences with the other designs?

And no, no idea about my cervix.

I've got a Diva (size 1) and also have both M Standard w/ ring & L Soft w/ stem Meluna. Honestly, I've liked all of them well enough, but for me the Meluna soft cup is a bit more comfy, even with an untrimmed stem. I did find the Diva to improve in comfort after boiling it a few times (worth doing before you ever try using it to soften it up).

One thing that's nice about the stem on the Meluna is that it's solid. The Diva stem is more of a tube, so you need to clean inside it. I've also found cleaning the 2 holes on the Meluna is easier than the 4 on the Diva (could be the material differences in the cups). The ring end on my M Meluna is fine, but I also trimmed the stem all the way off on my Diva cup after one day's use. If you're worried about being able to reach the cup, go with a stemmed cup at first and you can always trim it later. The fall deal from Meluna is great right now - I got a M orange, standard with ring and and a L yellow, soft with stem along with a natural heating/cooling pad thing (cloth bag filled with cherry pits). I also got a bonus, purple, XL standard w/ ball end cup.

The L Meluna is nearly identical in capacity to the smaller Diva. Your period sounds similar in flow to mine, so you'll probably find yourself needing to empty at 6-8 hours on your heavy days, but probably exceeding 8 hours on a normal to light day. I suspect I could switch to the M Meluna on lighter days if I wanted.

On a side note, dear god I miss my cup right now. I had Paragard inserted yesterday and am stuck with pads for the rest of this cycle. It's so icky (though I like the cloth reusables better, unlike some ladies).

Edit: Meluna is in Germany which will probably help you out on costs. Plus, I think they're cheaper than Diva anyway (which is made in Canada).

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

fine-tune posted:

Edit: Meluna is in Germany which will probably help you out on costs. Plus, I think they're cheaper than Diva anyway (which is made in Canada).

Far less expensive if you factor in the fact that MeLuna has been sending out extra cups lately. I ordered one cup a while ago and got three so now I have every MeLuna size and multiple colors!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Ok what the hell guys. I've been using the Meluna for two months now and am having kind of a weird problem. It leaks like hell, but only during the first two days of my period. After day 2, everything is perfect and I never get any leaks or have to fiddle with it at all. I know it's opening fully, I always check to make sure the holes are clear, and it's definitely not an issue of it just getting overly full. I thought maybe the size was wrong (I started out with a M and a S), so I got a large and somehow the large leaks even worse :confused:

Last month I thought maybe it was just an issue of me learning how to use it properly but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Any ideas? The mess really upsets me a lot and I absolutely DESPISE pads of any sort :( At this point I'm considering just using tampons the first two days :(

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I'm not loving my MeLuna soft cup. It's too soft, I think, and doesn't open well. Probably going back to my Diva next cycle.

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm not loving my MeLuna soft cup. It's too soft, I think, and doesn't open well. Probably going back to my Diva next cycle.

I've noticed that to some extent as well. I think their regular cup is closer to the Diva (after a few rounds in boiling water) in stiffness. Probably the difference between TPE & silicone.

fiesty cowgirl
May 22, 2009
Well, thanks to everyone in this thread, I was converted a few months ago!! I love my Diva cup. A friend recently made the switch from pads to tampons, now I'm on a mission to rock her world!!!

Dana Scully
Dec 25, 2010

hey scully, wanna break into the dean's office?
Just put in my first cup for the first time, a black small MeLuna. I thought it would be harder than it was because I've had so much trouble with tampons, but I gave the C-fold a shot because it was first on the list, and it just sort of popped in. I'm not so sure about the seal, but I've got a pad on at the moment as well, just in case. I've got the weekend to really figure it out, but it was so easy to put in. I was not expecting that.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Right, so when my new debit card comes I'm gonna get a small, standard Meluna (seeing as the soft ones appear to be more fiddly). I was tempted by the Autumn pack but I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment so I guess I shall try this one size and see how it goes!

Cheers for the help, guys.

coop52
May 10, 2009

So I finally had a chance to actually use my cup today (except for dry runs) I've been putting it in just in case for the past couple of days. This morning when I checked it, there were only a couple of dots of blood. Then, around lunch, it started feeling really warm and full, so I went to check. Holy crap blood. I managed to empty it with only a minor incident. Even with that, it still feels so much cleaner and more comfortable than pads or tampons. I don't know how I let myself stew in my own juices for so long. Thanks thread!

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
Do I really have to rotate it after inserting it? I got the Divacup and didn't do a test run and just got my period today and am VERY confused.

Also am I inserting it wrong? I feel like it's pushing on my bladder/I have to pee feeling. It's uncomfortable as gently caress.

Lezzie Borden fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 3, 2011

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pancakes McGee posted:

Do I really have to rotate it after inserting it? I got the Divacup and didn't do a test run and just got my period today and am VERY confused.

Also am I inserting it wrong? I feel like it's pushing on my bladder/I have to pee feeling. It's uncomfortable as gently caress.

You don't HAVE to rotate it. The main reason to do that is to make sure it's open all the way. You can accomplish the same thing by inserting your finger and running it around the edges. Some women find that easier, some prefer to rotate, so try both and figure out what you like best.

As for the discomfort, it could be that you would be more comfortable with a smaller sized cup. It might also be that it's not in properly, though, so make sure it's in far enough and that it's fully open. If you become certain that it's the cup size that's the problem, try turning the cup inside out before you give up on it. This has saved many an ill-fitting Diva from the trash can.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Pancakes McGee posted:

Yeah I never rotate it, I'm not even sure how that works. Just make sure it's fully open and not squished in there. Sometimes I have to run my finger around the rim a few times before it will open all the way.

As for the bladder thing, try moving it deeper or shallower if you have space (the Diva is a pretty long cup compared to others). Sometimes I get crampy feelings down there if I'm having a difficult time getting it situated right, but they go away fairly quickly after insertion.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

You don't HAVE to rotate it. The main reason to do that is to make sure it's open all the way. You can accomplish the same thing by inserting your finger and running it around the edges. Some women find that easier, some prefer to rotate, so try both and figure out what you like best.

As for the discomfort, it could be that you would be more comfortable with a smaller sized cup. It might also be that it's not in properly, though, so make sure it's in far enough and that it's fully open. If you become certain that it's the cup size that's the problem, try turning the cup inside out before you give up on it. This has saved many an ill-fitting Diva from the trash can.

I just spent like 20 minutes in the shower solely trying to figure the cup out and yeah, it's a LOT more comfy flipped inside out, although it's still a little uncomfy. I don't have enough money for another cup this soon though I still don't know if I did it right. I think I did. I guess I'll know in the morning.

The uncomfortableness could also be that I have major sensory issues with almost everything and I'm very sensitive to everything.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

fiesty cowgirl posted:

Well, thanks to everyone in this thread, I was converted a few months ago!! I love my Diva cup. A friend recently made the switch from pads to tampons, now I'm on a mission to rock her world!!!

I'm in the same position as your friend! I feel so stupid for not having the confidence to try tampons sooner, but I had such ease with them I'm psyched to try a Divacup now! Too bad my period just ended!

My only concern is I'm over 30 but have no kids/plans for kids. I figure I'd rather go with the smaller size first, wear a liner/pad as backup the first time around and hopefully I can get the seal right! I have a feeling I might have to go back and get a different size/length, but the cost of buying even two or three cups would still be less than what you spend in a year on disposable hygiene products.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Pancakes McGee posted:

I just spent like 20 minutes in the shower solely trying to figure the cup out and yeah, it's a LOT more comfy flipped inside out, although it's still a little uncomfy. I don't have enough money for another cup this soon though I still don't know if I did it right. I think I did. I guess I'll know in the morning.

The uncomfortableness could also be that I have major sensory issues with almost everything and I'm very sensitive to everything.

It might also not be far enough in. I trimmed the divacup I just got down to one or two notches on the stem, and it was really bothering me since it'd rub up against my pelvic bone or whatever it was resting against. Once I cut it to as short as possible, it fits snuggly in there without moving around and causing discomfort. I also have to push the cup up over my cervix as high as it will go but it doesn't seem to cause any leaking in my case.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My only concern is I'm over 30 but have no kids/plans for kids. I figure I'd rather go with the smaller size first, wear a liner/pad as backup the first time around and hopefully I can get the seal right! I have a feeling I might have to go back and get a different size/length, but the cost of buying even two or three cups would still be less than what you spend in a year on disposable hygiene products.

The idea is that even if you don't have children, after 30 things start to loosen up, so you might need a bigger size. It's not like your vagina is sitting down there with a stopwatch, though, waiting until you hit the big 3-0 so it can finally let itself go and just fall out onto the floor.

If you feel like you're still pretty firm or you've been doing kegels or you just don't want DivaCup calling you old, go ahead and try the small size. You are correct that it's definitely cheaper in the long run, or even in the couple-of-months run, for that matter.

I used a small past 30 and it was fine despite my not having any sort of special vagina maintenance routine. (There's only a few millimeters difference between the two sizes, anyway.)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I use a small in spite of being over 30 and having pushed out a kid. I think it's a YMMV thing.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I've been spotting for almost a month now. Thinking of reaching in and ripping out my Mirena with my bare hands.

Thank god for the Diva or I'd be poor as gently caress right now from sopping this mess up.

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
I keep getting as paranoid as gently caress that I'm not doing it right or that it will shift or something and leak. except I think it's in the right place, I check repeatedly with my fingers every time. Good thing I have long fingers.

And also, thank you thread for telling me to flip it inside out. It's SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE this way. The other way was painful.

I'm still having trouble putting it in, though.

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

Pretty much just got through my second period with my medium size MeLuna soft. Not a single leak, once again. Only thing I've had issues with is about half the time it takes more than 3 minutes trying to get the thing open once it's in. However, I only take it out to empty/wash out once in the morning and once before bed (my periods are pretty tame). Don't even need to think about it during the day, or carry tampons with me to the restroom. I also haven't had any of the usual aches/minor cramps that tend to bug me the first couple days; didn't feel the need to pop a single Midol! I loving love this thing.

Didot
Apr 4, 2007

Lusting after letterforms...

slinkimalinki posted:

My periods are pretty heavy. I've been using the Diva Cup for about 4 cycles now (bought it at Whole Foods), and a couple times I've had to go back to a tampon, especially on day 2 (my heaviest day) and at night. Also I'm finding that I fill it up way quicker than a lot of ladies on this thread.

Dying Atheist - seriously envy you!

Kitten Nightmares
May 15, 2007
look through a faithless eye; are you afraid to die?

Didot posted:

Dying Atheist - seriously envy you!

My mom tells me she was just like me until she started having kids. Then she began getting periods from hell. Once, she put in a tampon, it bled through so bad she thought she didn't put one in, and she put another one in, which bled through as well. When she took it out, she found the second one lodged in there :gonk:

I'll have to consider this fact if I ever decide to have kids... :ohdear:

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Honestly, I think how heavy your periods are is more of a determiner of which size you need than age or anything else. I thoroughly recommend the large Fleurcup for heavy periods. It has a remarkably high capacity for its size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lezzie Borden
Jul 20, 2011
Oh my god I love this thing.

Okay, question. Anyone ever received oral sex with the cup in? If so, any warnings/hints/tips? I only get to see my girlfriend every few months and it appears that my period will come when she visits next month.

• Locked thread