Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I like how in Duke3D the FOV goes weird when you look up or down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Minidust posted:

Is there a general stance on up/down mouselook in vanilla levels? What I'm doing in Doom 2 is enabling mouselook, but disabling that "enemies are infinitely tall" (or however they phrase it) option. I figure this makes sense given the headshot mechanic, and won't really alter the game the way jumping would.

Do whatever you want. Any trap where you can't retaliate because you can't look up always felt really dickish to me, anyways. Also, actors being infinitely tall has nothing to do with projectiles hitting monsters. Infinitely tall actors prevents you from moving over / under monsters (and vice versa). That's a bigger gameplay difference, but as with anything, do whatever is more comfortable. Not being able to move under something fifty feet above you is pretty irritating, though.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

THE HORSES rear end posted:

What early FPS do you think had the best sprite work?

Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. Clearly.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
Aliens of Gold had the best and most over-the-top death animations, I`ll give it that.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, Brutal Doom is ramping up now. It's absolutely hilarious. The shotgun is just a constant headshot machine, an entire trail of headless corpses splatting against the ground with wet, squishy thumps, punctuated by the occasional explosion of gibs when they get too close. :black101:

Wait till you get the plasma gun. There's something exquisitely satisfying about turning an entire room full of low-level guys into a smoldering pile of carbonized flesh.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just got up to Gotcha! in Brutal Doom

I get the feeling that if they weren't on seperate platforms the new Cyberdemon would totally gently caress up that spider mastermind with his new kick of death.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I miss gibbing enemies in general. It seems Fallout 3/NV and Rage are the only games where you can turn enemies into chunky salsa now.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 19, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Starhawk64 posted:

I miss gibbing enemies in general. It seems Fallout 3/NV and Rage are the only games where you can turn enemies into chunky salsa.
I do too. I love gibbing stuff in Half-Life with the crowbar so much that I was pissed Source basically removed it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

While we're on the subject of gibs, which game did you think had the best gibbing?

Duke Nukem 3D had pretty good gibs, I loved that squishing sound effect and the witty one-liners Duke would spew while aliens limbs and guts were flying everywhere.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Starhawk64 posted:

While we're on the subject of gibs, which game did you think had the best gibbing?

Duke Nukem 3D had pretty good gibs, I loved that squishing sound effect and the witty one-liners Duke would spew while aliens limbs and guts were flying everywhere.

You can't talk about gibs without talking about Blood. The way the enemies sometimes exploded after you lite them on fire with the flare gun was pretty gruesome.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Wamdoodle posted:

You can't talk about gibs without talking about Blood. The way the enemies sometimes exploded after you lite them on fire with the flare gun was pretty gruesome.

I never could tell if it was a bug or a feature, but sometimes when you burst a cultist into flames he wouldn't explode/collapse normally and instead would just indefinitely run around on fire. That was the best.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

That was a bug. An awesome bug.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Starhawk64 posted:

Rise of the Triad, with Half-Life in a close second. No other game makes enemy models spew eight eyeballs, four spinal columns, six brains, three colons, etc.

Starhawk64 posted:

"Holy poo poo" :clint:

Another nice touch about Duke 3D was getting corpses stuck underneath doors, then they string up with the door like fresh gum stuck to a shoe.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mak0rz posted:

Rise of the Triad, with Half-Life in a close second. No other game makes enemy models spew eight eyeballs, four spinal columns, six brains, three colons, etc.

I think if you stand near one of those rotating blade pillars with the God Mode powerup, you would have an endless fountain of blood, gibs and eyeballs flowing past your screen. Quite hypnotic, really.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

Duke 3d had good gibs, but I think Blood has my favorite, hands down. Although I haven't played RotT.

Half-Life isn't even in the running, although TFC with cl_gibcount 200 might be.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
Definately rise of the Triad. The gibs were pretty satisfying and consiering most of your arsenal makes things gib in that game thats a really good thing. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for quake 1's gibs just because they are so bouncy and come with that ridiculous noise.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
RotT not only had awesome gibs, it had a cheat code that made even more gibs. It was pretty much the best.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Xythar posted:

RotT not only had awesome gibs, it had a cheat code that made even more gibs. It was pretty much the best.

EKG I believe was that cheat. Stood for "Engine Killing Gibs." :gibs:

ROTT does have very good gibs, and I think it's the first game to have them flying all over place, rather than being a canned animation like in Doom. Also, the dismembered arms flip you off if you look closely.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cephalectomy posted:

Definately rise of the Triad. The gibs were pretty satisfying and consiering most of your arsenal makes things gib in that game thats a really good thing. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for quake 1's gibs just because they are so bouncy and come with that ridiculous noise.

The Quake 1 gibbing sounds are some of the most amusing video game sounds out there because of how funny they sound and they give you the feeling that you completely hosed somebody up when you gibbed them. They make using the Rocket Launcher so much more fun than the other weapons.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

closeted republican posted:

The Quake 1 gibbing sounds are some of the most amusing video game sounds out there because of how funny they sound and they give you the feeling that you completely hosed somebody up when you gibbed them. They make using the Rocket Launcher so much more fun than the other weapons.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who finds those sounds incredibly amusing. I used to love playing Quake deathmatch because of the frequency of a messy gib explosion in all directions complete with one of the two or three pleasantly squishy and popping gib sound effects.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Now I kind of want to reinstall Blood and play through some of the One Unit Whole Mods scenarios.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
If you do that, avoid legends of the iconoclast like the plague. Unless you like death by :words: blood fanfiction. Bloody pulp fiction is pretty good though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I just completed the first half of Ultimate Doom - seriously, playing it with the PSX wad is hilarious as you keep all your equipment between episode transitions - and have made the jump to Doom 2's levels. But christ I'm reminded of how off the goddamn walls level design goes in the latter half; starts off reasonably enough, levels like 'Command Centre' and 'Refinery' that while don't make entire sense given the limits of the engine still seem believable enough with names that are fairly normal.

Then suddenly

SEVER THE WICKED

UNRULY EVIL

AND HELL FOLLOWED

REDEMPTION DENIED

Hellish landscapes and nightmare-esque scenery that makes no logical sense without even a token effort to explain it. Only Doom could get away with that.

:psyduck:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Encryptic posted:

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who finds those sounds incredibly amusing. I used to love playing Quake deathmatch because of the frequency of a messy gib explosion in all directions complete with one of the two or three pleasantly squishy and popping gib sound effects.

I played some Quake 1 DM with bots a few weeks back and the constant gibbing and telefragging sounds throughout the maps actually had me laughing. I don't think there's any other game out there that would make blowing someone into pieces so funny.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Hellish landscapes and nightmare-esque scenery that makes no logical sense without even a token effort to explain it. Only Doom could get away with that.

:psyduck:

It's explained in the manual, IIRC.

Doom 2's plot, such as it is, is basically:
- Demons have invaded Earth
- Kill them
- Oh hey there's a portal to hell, that's where they're coming from
- Then go through the portal and kill them more <-- this is where you are
- Hooray!

FuriousGrey
Jul 11, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

If you do that, avoid legends of the iconoclast like the plague. Unless you like death by :words: blood fanfiction. Bloody pulp fiction is pretty good though.

There's a huge add-on coming out for Blood on Halloween.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Ultimate Doom is Doom 1+Episode 4 though, not Doom 2. Doom 1's story, as far as I remember it is basically:

Mars is being invaded, kill dudes on Phobos
Kill dudes on Deimos
PS Deimos is floating above Hell
You escaped Hell and now you're on Earth but so are the demons
Doom 2 begins here

Episode 4 was basically just challenge mode.wad and has no effect on the plot that I know of.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Umberger posted:

Ultimate Doom is Doom 1+Episode 4 though, not Doom 2.

He said he'd finished Ultimate Doom and moved on to Doom 2, though?

quote:

Doom 1's story, as far as I remember it is basically:

:black101:

Sounds about right.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

FuriousGrey posted:

There's a huge add-on coming out for Blood on Halloween.

Oh my goodness this is going to be a fun Halloween. I just found my Plasma Pack cd and am currently working on getting Blood to run as smooth as it can.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

goons posted:

plot, story

Get the hell out of this thread :colbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Starhawk64 posted:

Soldier of Fortune, obviously.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

ToxicFrog posted:

It's explained in the manual, IIRC.

- Demons have invaded Earth
- Kill them
- Oh hey there's a portal to hell, that's where they're coming from
- Then go through the portal and kill them more <-- this is where you are
- Hooray!

There's also something in there about a ship full of survivors trying to get off Earth, but the demons put up a wall of fire that prevents the ship from taking off.

It doesn't matter though because nobody cares.

I'm a bit worried about Doom 4 being a more cinematic experience.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm starting to think Romero had more influence over id than we'd like to admit. Virtually every id game since he left hasn't really gotten the core essence of what made Doom/Quake fun originally.

Quake 2 had that ridiculous Strogg plot that has tainted the series as a whole, Doom 3 was a pitch black monster closet with terrible pacing, Rage was great but had the worst ending I think I've ever seen in a game, and now Doom 4 might be more cinematic?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mak0rz posted:

Get the hell out of this thread :colbert:

I just want Romero to get his fuckin' canon straight. :colbert:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Doom plot:

Rip and tear!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I remember finishing episode 1 for the first time and not knowing what the word "badasses" meant. I think I pronounced it internally as "ba-dass-es"

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Then suddenly

SEVER THE WICKED

UNRULY EVIL

AND HELL FOLLOWED

REDEMPTION DENIED

Yeah,that's the THY FLESH CONSUMED episode. Fun fact: The name of the episode as well as the names of all the levels are lifted straight from the Bible

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yes yes I know that. :v:

It's just so jarring in the PSX version. Unlike the PC there's no definite transition point between episodes - they all flow together as part of a larger package - or any debriefing screens until the moment where Ultimate Doom ends and Doom 2 begins. You don't really notice anything off at first then it hits you the level names and level design have absolutely apeshit.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ddraig posted:

Soldier of Fortune, obviously.

Oh god, so much time spent doing that quicky-botmatch mode in SoFII just shooting parts off of people then dissecting their bodies when they dropped. There might be something wrong with me, I dunno.

Lay off me the technology was really interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Xythar posted:

I remember finishing episode 1 for the first time and not knowing what the word "badasses" meant. I think I pronounced it internally as "ba-dass-es"
My initial thought at age 10 was "well the barons kinda look like donkeys and rear end is another word for donkeys, so I just killed two big donkey monsters!" :haw:

Also, does anyone remember the MAP08 sound glitch that caused the volume levels to stay really loud, no matter where monsters were in the level, or what your actual sound volume slider setting was? I remember hearing the Baron noise, freaking out, and rushing to the slider to turn it down, only to find that OHGODOHGODOHGOD THESE GUYS ARE SO POWERFUL THEY CAN'T BE SILENCED AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH :gonk:

I was a very confused 10-year-old.