Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Green beans almondine is another quick and delicious recipe, if not the healthiest thing in the world depending on how you do it. Just steam whole fresh green beans, sautee some almond slices in butter, then combine with S&P... Instant deliciousness! Works for other veggies too!

Steam + butter + S&P never goes wrong...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Lyssavirus posted:

So I went shopping hungry, and ended up buying a one pound brick of extra firm tofu. It was a dollar, and I'm poor so I figured a pound of protein for a dollar was a good plan. Buuuut now I have no loving clue what to do with the thing. I stuck it in the freezer since I remember reading that that makes the texture more pleasant, and I was thinking maybe frying it up in a pan and making some kind of tasty sauce for it, but beyond that I'm stumped. What are good ways to serve tofu?

throw strips in a bag with a flour/spice mixture before panfrying them (be careful not to stir too much- they'll break). sauces and such are a good idea, serve over rice. I recently basically made general tso's chicken with tofu instead, though I roasted some peanuts in the pan afterwards and added them on top. Had some various vegetables in there too as well as bean sprouts.

It was pretty good.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Comic posted:

throw strips in a bag with a flour/spice mixture before panfrying them (be careful not to stir too much- they'll break). sauces and such are a good idea, serve over rice. I recently basically made general tso's chicken with tofu instead, though I roasted some peanuts in the pan afterwards and added them on top. Had some various vegetables in there too as well as bean sprouts.

It was pretty good.

This is a good idea, but try substituting corn or potato starch for flour.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Lyssavirus posted:

So I went shopping hungry, and ended up buying a one pound brick of extra firm tofu. It was a dollar, and I'm poor so I figured a pound of protein for a dollar was a good plan. Buuuut now I have no loving clue what to do with the thing. I stuck it in the freezer since I remember reading that that makes the texture more pleasant, and I was thinking maybe frying it up in a pan and making some kind of tasty sauce for it, but beyond that I'm stumped. What are good ways to serve tofu?

It takes a bit of planning, but a good way to kick up the flavour in tofu is dry-frying it. Just cut the tofu into slices, and toss them in a non-stick pan with no cooking fat (this is very important) over low heat, turning somewhat frequently and pressing down on the slices once in a while. Basically, this slowly dehydrates the slices. Then park them in a marinade overnight; I've found that nothing sucks up a marinade's flavour as well as tofu prepared this way.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Lyssavirus posted:

I am allergic to tofu and yet I still have miso soup because I love it so hard.

The shiro miso paste is a little bit of an investment, admittedly, but it lasts FOREVER.

My favorite quick-and-dirty recipe is:
1.5 cups boiling hot dashi stock (or konbu stock if you're vegetarian)
1 tsp shiro miso paste
0.3-0.5 cup of diced tofu
1-2 tsp of dried, curled-up wakame
a crazy amount of sliced green onions.

The ingredients are admittedly a couple bucks each, so I'm not sure if it fits your budget, but the up side is that they last a long time, so the "per bowl" cost is still pretty cheap. I used this recipe, with variations, so so many times for school lunch to dodge instant noodles. (instant dashi granules and a hot water dispenser)

Or some other tofu soup, adding dried mushroom shreds if you have them is also good. When I was feeling particularly hungry I'd add more wakame -- it didn't add calories unfortunately, but it helped me feel fuller, longer.

When stir-frying tofu I've found that pan-frying the tofu first helps it keep consistency, instead of dissolving into the stir fry as indeterminate bits of goo.

Or, pressing the block of tofu and making korokke! (dredged in crumbs and fried) I can't find the recipe online, but one of my friends with a Japanese grandmother picked up the recipe from her.. instead of mincing it into a korokke, instead pressing it between towels with a plate and some books for weight to firm it up a little, then dredging it in panko and frying it up.

Tofu blends into smoothies fairly well, too?

I miss soy so hard sometimes. :comeback:

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Thank you so much for the suggestions, guys. I don't really like the weird slimy thing tofu does in soups I've had at restaurants, so it seems like pan frying is my best bet. I'll probably do a stir fry thing, since that's my go to, "poo poo, what the gently caress am I doing for dinner?" meal. I was also thinking maybe something like this, since that sounds pretty easy, and I think I'd have an easier time getting the boyfriend to eat it like that.
Any suggestions of improvement on the recipe? Would I wan to do the corn/potato starch covering? If I did the dry fry and marinade, could I fry it again for crispiness? Would that be way more effort than it's worth?

edit: I'm willing to make the investment in things I don't have as long as they'll keep for a while, but my current budget for food is about $100 for the rest of the month, and the longer I can make food purchased last, the better.

Lyssavirus fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 18, 2011

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
If you don't like the weird/slimy tofu thing in soups, then the wakame might also be off-putting -- it can come off a little slimy, too, and it's seaweed after all.

Good luck with your experimentation, and definitely post pics! I might crib some ideas from your preparation for use with seitan!

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
A few nights back I made my first attempt at pulled pork and I found that there was some room for improvement.

The most glaring issue was that I felt like I was going to dislocate an elbow pulling the meat apart. The meat was tender enough to chew but didn't come apart as easily as I feel it should, judging from pictures I saw.
There was also a lot of unrendered fat/wobbly bits.

I used a bone-in picnic roast, fairly small - maybe 2,5 lbs that I roasted until it was about 170-180° F inside, which is low according to some recipes and high to others. Oven temp was roughly 300 F at first, which I cut to 200 F quickly because the internal temperature was rising very fast. Total cooking time was around 5 hours I think.

I think some relevant factors were that I tried to pull it without a rest period, the relatively low final temperature and the short cooking time.

What I don't understand about the cooking process is that all the recipes describe it like a slow roast: Low oven and lots of time, pulling it at a certain temp. Couldn't I just let it come to maybe 175° and keep it there for 5-6 hours, sort of like a "dry braise"?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

In my experience it's best to get the pork to 190 and then let it rest a bit before trying to pull it. I'm sure there's other advice out the - I do my pork shoulder in a wet smoker, so it's slightly different than in an oven.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

SimianNinja posted:

Also, my wife likes to leave in a pizza stone 24/7 for some reason, so if the issue is restricted air/temperature flow or something that could be a culprit...
The pizza stone helps to keep the oven at a more constant temperature when you open /close the oven during baking.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Serendipitaet posted:

A few nights back I made my first attempt at pulled pork and I found that there was some room for improvement.

The most glaring issue was that I felt like I was going to dislocate an elbow pulling the meat apart. The meat was tender enough to chew but didn't come apart as easily as I feel it should, judging from pictures I saw.
There was also a lot of unrendered fat/wobbly bits.

I used a bone-in picnic roast, fairly small - maybe 2,5 lbs that I roasted until it was about 170-180° F inside, which is low according to some recipes and high to others. Oven temp was roughly 300 F at first, which I cut to 200 F quickly because the internal temperature was rising very fast. Total cooking time was around 5 hours I think.

I think some relevant factors were that I tried to pull it without a rest period, the relatively low final temperature and the short cooking time.

What I don't understand about the cooking process is that all the recipes describe it like a slow roast: Low oven and lots of time, pulling it at a certain temp. Couldn't I just let it come to maybe 175° and keep it there for 5-6 hours, sort of like a "dry braise"?

You didn't get it hot enough: the pork was 'cooked' at 165°, but you need to slowly push the internal temperature up a good deal more in order to break down all the connective tissue and render the fat.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

heeebrew posted:

The pizza stone helps to keep the oven at a more constant temperature when you open /close the oven during baking.

The pizza stone also takes much, much longer to heat up than the air in the oven. I'm betting it is your culprit. The bottom is undercooked, because it's resting on a stone that's cooler than the air temperature in your oven. Take the stone out and give it another shot, or just be sure to preheat your oven for 30 minutes before putting things on it. (She should be doing this for pizza as well, stones take crazy long to heat, some recommend 60 minutes)

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

The pizza stone also takes much, much longer to heat up than the air in the oven. I'm betting it is your culprit. The bottom is undercooked, because it's resting on a stone that's cooler than the air temperature in your oven. Take the stone out and give it another shot, or just be sure to preheat your oven for 30 minutes before putting things on it. (She should be doing this for pizza as well, stones take crazy long to heat, some recommend 60 minutes)

You beat me. This is the correct answer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Lyssavirus posted:

Thank you so much for the suggestions, guys. I don't really like the weird slimy thing tofu does in soups I've had at restaurants, so it seems like pan frying is my best bet. I'll probably do a stir fry thing, since that's my go to, "poo poo, what the gently caress am I doing for dinner?" meal. I was also thinking maybe something like this, since that sounds pretty easy, and I think I'd have an easier time getting the boyfriend to eat it like that.
Any suggestions of improvement on the recipe? Would I wan to do the corn/potato starch covering? If I did the dry fry and marinade, could I fry it again for crispiness? Would that be way more effort than it's worth?

edit: I'm willing to make the investment in things I don't have as long as they'll keep for a while, but my current budget for food is about $100 for the rest of the month, and the longer I can make food purchased last, the better.

Hahaha $100 for the rest of the month? That is a large food budget!

Also: try cubing your tofu sometime and lightly coating it with cornstarch, then frying it. It becomes very crispy. Awesome with steamed broccoli and a really flavorful sauce (think soy, chiles, garlic, ginger, honey).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I got some brown rice at a Thai resturant the other day that was kind of different... big, fat, round grains, not long skinny ones. Almost sphereical. Any idea what kind of rice it might have been?

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.

mediaphage posted:

Hahaha $100 for the rest of the month? That is a large food budget!

$100 for the rest of the month at best, sorry I wasn't more clear. Possibly until the end of November. My money situation is all cocked up. :(

I know I need me some more sesame oil, which should be nice to fry tofu in, right?

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Serendipitaet posted:

I don't think I've ever used a thermometer with a pork shoulder/Boston butt/picnic roast, though I'll say that the picnic cut has a massive fat cap on it that can create some issues depending on how you cook it.

I usually just smoke it with cherry or apple wood using indirect heat, but you could get some decent results in the oven with a good dry rub and a long, slow cook. Sounds like you were doing the right thing, but sometimes an individual pig is a little weird and you can't go by a precise time.

The easiest way to cook a pork shoulder indoors is to make a sort of simple carnitas: using an enameled Dutch oven or a crock pot, cook a pork shoulder with a couple of cans of mixed tomatoes/peppers (like Ro-Tel). After six or seven hours you'll have awesome shreddable pork that you can put into tacos or tamales or serve over rice or enjoy on a sandwich. For even better results, throw a few dried ancho peppers in there.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Serendipitaet posted:

Another vote for undercooked pulled pork. Slicing temperature is about 170F. Pulling temperature is anywhere from 190 to 200F. You need that time and temperature to let the tough collagens convert into yummy moist gelatin and for the fat to render out.

Pulled pork is done when the roast starts to fall apart in your hands or when you stick a fork into it and twist. Undercooked, the meat will be pretty solid, hard, possibly dry, and resist pulling. Overcooked, like at 210-215F, the meat will still fall apart easily, but it will be incredibly dry.

I just made one yesterday on my smoker, and the difference in feel between undercooked and perfect when you stick a fork in it and twist is huge.

Check out this guy's pulled pork. That's what the butt should feel like when it's done. Falling apart. Forget cooking by time. It's done when it's done, so trust your fork, not the timer. Keep your oven around 225 to 250F the whole time for the best results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWh4a4s20A4&feature=youtu.be&t=13m34s

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 18, 2011

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

I got some brown rice at a Thai resturant the other day that was kind of different... big, fat, round grains, not long skinny ones. Almost sphereical. Any idea what kind of rice it might have been?

That's just short-grain brown rice. I've seen it in the "health" section of my local Albertson's, by these guys: http://www.lundberg.com/products/rice/Organic_Short_Grain_Brown_Rice.aspx Also it looks like Bob's Red Mill produces it too.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Quick question. I know that there are certain types of premium beef, such as Kobe beef or other various high end beefs. However, I have never heard of such a thing as a "kobe" equivilant for something like chicken. Is there such a thing as a very high end chicken, or is it all pretty much the same?

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

zanmatto posted:

Quick question. I know that there are certain types of premium beef, such as Kobe beef or other various high end beefs. However, I have never heard of such a thing as a "kobe" equivilant for something like chicken. Is there such a thing as a very high end chicken, or is it all pretty much the same?

There are small breed chickens used for meat or eggs or show. There are also 'organic' chickens, grain or corn fed chicken from major producers.
Short answer, yes although not in the sense of one style of raising a particular breed acquiring a world wide foodie cachet.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

This might be a stupid question, but I'm planning on roasting a chicken this weekend and I was wondering if there's any way of making gravy out of the juices in the roasting pan. Thanks!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Scrape up the pan, pass the juices through a sieve, then thicken if you like?

I suppose there's two ways you can go about it, either you make a flour-based gravy or a cream-based one.

For the former you could make a light, brown roux of butter and flour, then add the pan juices to it and adjust seasoning. For the latter, just add some whipping cream to the juices and simmer for a while to let it thicken. Suggestions for variations might be some fried, sliced mushrooms, a splash of sherry or port, and/or herbs like snipped chives, tarragon, thyme or rosemary. Just adapt to what you have on hand.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks! Is there a ratio/specific amount of butter or flour I should add?

Z. Beeblebrox
Jul 10, 2003

Fra-gi-lay...It's Italian!
I've tried cooking quinoa twice now for me and my fiance. We hated it both times. It just tastes...green, like what I would expect eating grass tastes like. I don't really know how else to describe it. The box says it's prewashed, so I don't believe it's a tannin issue. Everyone raves about it on the internet, like it's manna from heaven and I'm really disappointed that we both hate it since it appears to be quite versatile and this is something I could easily grow in an appreciable quantity. Am I cooking it wrong? Is there something else I should be adding? Last time I made it I cooked it up with water and a bit of salt and in a separate pot I melted some brown sugar, honey, raisins, chopped apples, cinnamon and some other spices to go on top. I had to add a ton of the delicious sugary goop to drown out the quinoa. Help me GWS, I really want this stuff to taste good since it's so healthy (the quinoa, not the diabetes goop :))

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Phadedsky posted:

Thanks! Is there a ratio/specific amount of butter or flour I should add?

About equal in weight. That should make it nice and fatty and easy to whisk and brown. Not a very dark roux, just a little toasted.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Sjurygg posted:

Scrape up the pan, pass the juices through a sieve, then thicken if you like?

I suppose there's two ways you can go about it, either you make a flour-based gravy or a cream-based one.

For the former you could make a light, brown roux of butter and flour, then add the pan juices to it and adjust seasoning. For the latter, just add some whipping cream to the juices and simmer for a while to let it thicken. Suggestions for variations might be some fried, sliced mushrooms, a splash of sherry or port, and/or herbs like snipped chives, tarragon, thyme or rosemary. Just adapt to what you have on hand.

Depending on how much fat renders out of the chicken i'd inclined to separate it from the pan juices, use it in place of the butter. If you want a buttery gloss whisk some in just before serving. You could also add a little white wine & lemon juice if you want to go a little lighter.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

Z. Beeblebrox posted:

I've tried cooking quinoa twice now for me and my fiance. We hated it both times. It just tastes...green, like what I would expect eating grass tastes like. I don't really know how else to describe it. The box says it's prewashed, so I don't believe it's a tannin issue. Everyone raves about it on the internet, like it's manna from heaven and I'm really disappointed that we both hate it since it appears to be quite versatile and this is something I could easily grow in an appreciable quantity. Am I cooking it wrong? Is there something else I should be adding? Last time I made it I cooked it up with water and a bit of salt and in a separate pot I melted some brown sugar, honey, raisins, chopped apples, cinnamon and some other spices to go on top. I had to add a ton of the delicious sugary goop to drown out the quinoa. Help me GWS, I really want this stuff to taste good since it's so healthy (the quinoa, not the diabetes goop :))

You may want to rinse it before you cook it anyway if it's coming out too bitter.

Here's a couple of recipes that I like for it. It also is great in meatloaf in place of bread crumbs.

Greek Quinoa

Ingredients:

1 cup rinsed quinoa
2 cups water
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup lemon juice
2 1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced
1 bunch scallions, chopped
1/2 small/medium sized fresh tomato diced (original recipe: 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved)
7 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup red onion*
1 tsp sea salt (original recipe only called for salt & pepper at the end)

Directions:

Bring the water to boil, and add the quinoa. Turn the heat down to medium low, and let the quinoa simmer stirring occasionally until the water is absorbed. This will take around 15 to 20 minutes.
Add oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and seasonings to a bowl. Toss in quinoa until well mixed.
Add olives, tomatoes, scallions, and feta. Mix well.
*I leave out the red onion because the boyfriend hates the stuff. It tastes fine without it.

Quinoa w/ Beans

1 tsp. olive oil
1 red onion, chopped**
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups veg. or chicken broth
1 tsp. cumin*
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper*
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup chopped tomato
15 oz. black beans or pinto beans
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

In a med. saucepan, heat oil and saute onion and garlic until lightly browned. Mix quinoa and broth into saucepan and add cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Bring mixture to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 mins.
Stir frozen corn into saucepan and continue to simmer for 5 mins until heated through. Mix in beans, cilantro, and tomatoes. Heat through and serve.
*First time I did this I accidentally used Tbsp instead of tsp. It was fine.
** I subbed green onion for the red onion.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

I'm pretty new to cooking fish and have only ever really cooked tuna steaks or salmon fillets. On a whim today I bought a small Rainbow Trout. I am trying to cook new things and it looked tasty. It's been gutted and is described as "prepared" but it still looks like a whole fish (head etc on.) What the hell do I do with this now? Do I cook it as it is or do I need to cut it up first? My first thought is just to slap some salt on it, stuff it with lemon, garlic and herb butter then lightly fry it. I have a cast iron pan and a whole load of fresh herbs in the garden but not a huge amount of time to spare tonight. Any other suggestions?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ktb posted:

My first thought is just to slap some salt on it, stuff it with lemon, garlic and herb butter then lightly fry it. I have a cast iron pan and a whole load of fresh herbs in the garden but not a huge amount of time to spare tonight. Any other suggestions?

That'll work just fine. Just keep checking it, trout is a fairly light fish and will overcook fast. Once the flesh starts flaking take it off, and if you're unsure it's best to err on the side of undercooked with fish, it won't hurt you and tastes better.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

Feenix posted:

Help, you glorious bastards! I am in Paris on my honeymoon and so far we have had fairly good meals at little bar/cafes, but before we leave I'd love to eat at a really fantastique French restaurant.

It doesn't have to be 4 star Michelin. In fact I'd prefer something we didn't stress over reservations and hundred-euro price tags.

Any good recomms?

I don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I can recommend a couple of places I ate at last time I was there, about 4 years ago - both near the Latin Quarter.

1) The Royal Luxembourg, just east of the Jardin du Luxembourg, on Rue Gay-Lussac right near where it hits Bd. Saint-Michel. This is more of a cafe than a restaurant but we had a really good meal here of classic French cuisine. Added bonus of being next to the Jardin which is a must-see.

2) Chez Lena et Mimile, deeper in the Quarter at the corner of Rue Tournefort and Rue Pierre Brossolette. I seem to recall getting a pretty good creme brûlée here, and there are a lot of cool little shops to check out in the area. I'm sure this is not the best place in its area, but it's pretty decent.

Man, now I want to go back to Paris. To be honest, my favorite food there was just the brasseries and crepe stands that you could find everywhere. Enjoy your trip!

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.

Lyssavirus posted:

I know I need me some more sesame oil, which should be nice to fry tofu in, right?

Sesame oil is really strongly flavored, especially compared to other oils. You want to use it in small quantities or it can be overpowering. I wouldn't use it for frying.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I stir fry, I generally use peanut oil and then add a dash of sesame at the end for flavor.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Mach420 posted:

Another vote for undercooked pulled pork. Slicing temperature is about 170F. Pulling temperature is anywhere from 190 to 200F. You need that time and temperature to let the tough collagens convert into yummy moist gelatin and for the fat to render out.

Pulled pork is done when the roast starts to fall apart in your hands or when you stick a fork into it and twist. Undercooked, the meat will be pretty solid, hard, possibly dry, and resist pulling. Overcooked, like at 210-215F, the meat will still fall apart easily, but it will be incredibly dry.

I just made one yesterday on my smoker, and the difference in feel between undercooked and perfect when you stick a fork in it and twist is huge.

Check out this guy's pulled pork. That's what the butt should feel like when it's done. Falling apart. Forget cooking by time. It's done when it's done, so trust your fork, not the timer. Keep your oven around 225 to 250F the whole time for the best results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWh4a4s20A4&feature=youtu.be&t=13m34s

Thanks for your advice, all of you! :) I'll try again and report back.

Unrelated, but why can there be a PYF spice you hate thread but no offtopic thread?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Question: I was making mayonnaise by hand the other day, and at my mother-in-law's request didn't put any sugar in. (Don't ask.) So I whisked an egg yolk with a bit of dry mustard, added some salt and lemon juice, then started whisking away. No emulsion at all, just a gross soupy mess, which has never happened to me before. Likely this was from the lack of sugar. My question is, what role does sugar play in the formation of a mayo emulsion?

On another topic, re: tofu: it ain't meat, but that doesn't mean you can't treat it like a steak. Cut firm tofu in thick slabs, drain it (wedge the slices between two bowls or two pots and some paper towels, then weigh down the top with some cans and go away for 3 hours), then fry them until they're brown and crisp on the outside. At this point, throw the slabs on a toasted bun along with steak sauce, ketchup, mustard, cheese, fried onions, or anything else you'd put on a burger or steak sandwich. Surprisingly satisfying stuff.

Serendipitaet posted:

Unrelated, but why can there be a PYF spice you hate thread but no offtopic thread?
I wondered the same. :colbert:

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

That'll work just fine. Just keep checking it, trout is a fairly light fish and will overcook fast. Once the flesh starts flaking take it off, and if you're unsure it's best to err on the side of undercooked with fish, it won't hurt you and tastes better.

Cheers! I definitely tend towards raw with the fish I have cooked, I think this is why I am only now discovering how much I love it. Do I leave it intact when I cook it? I'm sharing it with someone so I need to at least get it into two portions at some point. I figured if I sort of stuff it with the herb butter it will taste better so I guess I should divide it after its cooked.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I keep forgetting to ask about this...anyway, shortly after my boyfriend and I moved into our new place, I was fishing the cat out of the back of a kitchen cupboard (we've all done it) and came across a cheap dusty briefcase, which turned out to contain a set of Casa Elite knives and a sharpening steel. I've googled them but all I can find are people selling their old sets, and it seems like the company no longer makes knives. Are these any good?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I tried Googling too, no dice. I've never heard of the brand, but hey, the best way to see if they're good is to give them a try. Grab a potato and a tomato and an onion. See how easily the blades cut through each veggie. Do they handle well? Can you make super thin slices with them? (Then pan fry the potatoes and make a tomato and onion salad.)

Handling and sharpness aside, the other thing that makes a good knife is that it'll hold its edge well. If you do wind up using them but find that in a week they don't cut so well anymore, then that's that. But if they hold on, great.

yes
Aug 26, 2004

Take a few pictures of the chef's knife and we can tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If I'm making the classic GWS pulled pork recipe off the wiki but my roommate "doesn't like pork all that much" and am going to use beef instead, what kind of beef do I buy and do I have to do anything different?