Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Spaceman Future! posted:

The Pharaoh..

King Tut! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Dammit I'ma have to start buying Legos again. :negative: These new cars look so goddamn awesome.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Ok, so we've got sweet rangers, a goddamn bear...

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I want a Ramathorn minifig.

Are there any black guy heads with moustaches and aviators?

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Ok, so we've got sweet rangers, a goddamn bear...

beato posted:

:laugh: DO YOU NEED ASSISTANCE?

That's up there with making Lego Sean Connery answer "We named the dhaug Indiana" to any question he is asked.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Awesome new thread title. I like the forest rangers but I really want that new ambulance.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

I had no idea forest rangers were so badass.

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
That ranger set looks cool, but am I the only one NOT digging the "brick" bricks? They look too...Megablok-y.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
What's the consensus on Bionicle? Are they considered good for anything construction wise (except for Mechs maybe)?

I got a whole bunch of parts in a bulk load but they just seem fake and non-lego-y to me and I'm debating if they're worth hanging onto or not.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

Lord Gold posted:

That ranger set looks cool, but am I the only one NOT digging the "brick" bricks? They look too...Megablok-y.

Personally, I'm for anything that gives me more choices of finish or texture. That part is basically like this thing here:

Unfortunately, it suffers from the same problems as the grille brick, too. No detailing on the short side and, at least for now, apparently no 1x1 or corner version. The other problem is that, ironically, the side with the staggered brick pattern only really works if you stack the bricks right on top of each other. I'm actually more excited about the other side though, seen on the sign base there. Despite its shortcomings, I think it could be useful for this sort of stonework, which is something I've been thinking about for a while:

CADPAT posted:

What's the consensus on Bionicle? Are they considered good for anything construction wise (except for Mechs maybe)?

I got a whole bunch of parts in a bulk load but they just seem fake and non-lego-y to me and I'm debating if they're worth hanging onto or not.

Yes.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

Lord Gold posted:

I guess, but I doubt TLG will release sets where they form a large part of the structure. If anything, they remind me of the classic castle base, the lumpy one with the brick pattern on parts of it.

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Yes.

Clearly I was lacking in imagination. I guess that answers that.

I just missed buying the Scary Laboratory for 10$ by like 5 minutes on Kijiji. DAMMIT.

I made out pretty good on some used sets though just recently so I guess I can't complain, but still. 10 minutes - ARGH!!!!

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Welcome to my new Lego room! I just moved, so all the Lego was shoved in the corner, but after our LUG meeting and doing a parts draw on the POTC Cannibal Escape set (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=4182-1) (awesome set for a parts draw by the way. Tons of useful parts and good colors), I was motivated to unpack it and set up an area to build once again.

While I used to use my entire basement as a Lego area, which was great because I had lots of room, but not ideal because it was dark, smelled musty, and was relatively out of the way from where I spent most of my time.

The new apartment is much smaller, but I have a pretty good sized walk-in closet. Since I don't have all that many clothes, and a second storage closet is able to hold all my miscellaneous crap, I decided to dedicate most of the space to Lego. I've already got two more of the big gray drawer cabinet in the mail, as well as two smaller ones to take up the rest of the space under the shelf. I've already got a well sorted collection, but this should really make it easy to find what I need.

The shelves were already in place, so I have to work around them, but I think I have a pretty good system worked out. Most of the top shelves will be MOCs and special sets (mainly Micropolis modules for now).

MODEL TEAM! Got super lucky a couple years ago and all this was in a tub I payed $20 for at a garage sale. I have the trailer too, just not built since I'm short on space. Some parts are MIA due to the move too, but I'll fix 'em.

Already had a bunch of these and picked up two more sets of drawers today. Eventually these will all be labeled for ease of use. Might get more too.

The Exo Force box is all baseplates, the other two are instructions and stickers.

The blue bin is Technic, the rest are mostly unsorted or bags of sorted parts that will go into drawers at some point.

Not pictured: Star Destroyer, Motorized AT-AT, Republic Gunship, ARC-170, and 7260 Wookie Catamaran that are in storage awaiting breakdown and sale (I realized all they'll ever do is sit on display, and I need the money for new stuff. Pet Shop and collectible minifigures above my main desk, and the Newest Death Star and Grand Emporium sealed up in boxes awaiting a rainy day.

Really excited to get building again, although sorting parts into the new storage is going to suck.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I really need to get some of those small drawers like you have. I have a few tackle box-style containers but it'd be nice if I had enough room to sort things by color. I also obviously wish I had that many parts

Does anyone have any of the Alien Conquest sets? Particularly ones around $40 or less. I've thought about getting one if only because the pieces seem to include a lot of pretty awesome neon colors, but I want to know if they really feel worth the money. The Tripod Invader looks pretty dang neat. I bought the Alien Striker today since it was $5 and I definitely like those cool green and purple pieces. I just don't know much about this line and want to know what you guys think about them.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

GidgetNomates posted:

I really need to get some of those small drawers like you have. I have a few tackle box-style containers but it'd be nice if I had enough room to sort things by color. I also obviously wish I had that many parts

Does anyone have any of the Alien Conquest sets? Particularly ones around $40 or less. I've thought about getting one if only because the pieces seem to include a lot of pretty awesome neon colors, but I want to know if they really feel worth the money. The Tripod Invader looks pretty dang neat. I bought the Alien Striker today since it was $5 and I definitely like those cool green and purple pieces. I just don't know much about this line and want to know what you guys think about them.

Yeah, the drawers are awesomely useful. I use the Akro-Mills ones, you can get them on Amazon.

I actually picked up the Tripod Invader today at target when I was getting the white drawers since it's on sale for $15. Pretty cool build, and really good mix of parts, plus it's a cheap way to get one of the facehugger type aliens. I'd recommend picking it up on sale! I'd love the Earth Defense HQ but just can't justify the expense.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
God I really need to move into a place big enough to have a LEGO room.

GidgetNomates posted:

Definitely pick up the Tripod. It is just so, so, so great.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

pbpancho posted:

I actually picked up the Tripod Invader today at target when I was getting the white drawers since it's on sale for $15. Pretty cool build, and really good mix of parts, plus it's a cheap way to get one of the facehugger type aliens. I'd recommend picking it up on sale! I'd love the Earth Defense HQ but just can't justify the expense.

Flavor Bear posted:

Definitely pick up the Tripod. It is just so, so, so great.

Well, I'm sold then! I'll probably pick it up in the next week or two. Didn't realize it came with one of the facehuggers, I definitely want one of those. I definitely get a strong War of the Worlds vibe from the Tripod.

edit: I definitely used the word definitely too many times.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

CADPAT posted:

Clearly I was lacking in imagination. I guess that answers that.

I just missed buying the Scary Laboratory for 10$ by like 5 minutes on Kijiji. DAMMIT.

I made out pretty good on some used sets though just recently so I guess I can't complain, but still. 10 minutes - ARGH!!!!

I admit I don't have the kind of imagination for it, either, but a couple of the guys I know are really good at it. That ship is extra cool, too, because it's bright light orange, which is a pretty hard-to-get color. With Bionicle parts, though, there was enough variety to make something of it.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
e: i'm a dummy who posted in the wrong thread

But hey since I've got a post here I just got done resorting my meager Lego collection. I guess I DID have room in my tackleboxes to sort by color, which just made me a little sad that all of my bricks can fit in such small boxes :(

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
2012 dinosaurs sets up in here. Like J*rass*c Park without the license fees!

http://www.brickset.com/search/?theme=Dino&year=2012

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Schindler's Fist posted:

Huh, I get more of a Terra Nova vibe. And all that yellow is kind of... ugly.
e: oh hey we get a new gun

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 18, 2011

dirtycajun
Aug 27, 2004

SUCKING DICKS AND SQUEEZING TITTIES

Schindler's Fist posted:

Oh gently caress me, those look cool.

If you want sets that will appreciate in value it's these. Those dinosaurs go for poo poo tons on bricklink from the last dino set.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Schindler's Fist posted:

Loving the hell out of those minifig torsos!

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

pbpancho posted:

Really excited to get building again, although sorting parts into the new storage is going to suck.

No kidding.

I've got a long, long way to go. :eng99:

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT
I moved recently too, so I guess it's post your collections time! :awesome:

Hopefully I'll find some time to actually be creative this weekend, or at least sort the new stuff.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Jesus InfinEight... I do love those black shelves though, I have a bunch but they don't fit in that closet. Perfect for Lego.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm trying to convince by wife that splashing out on a couple of cool sets for myself won't lead to some horrible money-sink addiction. She must never see this thread or those photos. Never.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Quit making me jealous that all my LEGO is packed away waiting for an overseas move :cry:

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Speaking of money, what's the best (cheapest) way to get baseplates? I was thinking of cheap or second hand games to pick up some interesting vignette sized plates (along with a few other pieces). They seem to be on special a lot.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Gravy Jones posted:

Speaking of money, what's the best (cheapest) way to get baseplates? I was thinking of cheap or second hand games to pick up some interesting vignette sized plates (along with a few other pieces). They seem to be on special a lot.

The games are probably the best way. You can often get a game on EBay for the same price you'd pay for just the baseplate. I recently bought Ramses Pyramid from Amazon for £12.89 (offer is still current), which has some nice tan and dark tan parts, lots of cones in various trans colours, and a 32x32 baseplate. Several of the smaller games use 16x16 plates, which are nice to have.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

InfinEight posted:

LEGO Metal Gear Rex :stare:

Also, holy gently caress that dinosaur set looks so awesome. Why did I not think of making my own Jurrasic Park before, drat my weak imagination!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I won't be impressed until someone's Lego cave is made of Legos.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:

InfinEight posted:

:smith: What happened to all my childhood Lego?

:unsmith: at least I'll always have you, Fallingwater.

Bit too early to have a Christmas tree up but I couldn't resist putting it together as soon as I got it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Found this. I think its a clever use of parts to make a small but complex MOC.

From here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2950824

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

So I've posted a few pics here a while back, but I'm doing this 365 day photo project thing, and I'm taking a lot of pictures of Lego stuffs, and I said I'd share them when I shot some more, so here they are.

day2 by nickgatens, on Flickr

day19 by nickgatens, on Flickr

day20 by nickgatens, on Flickr

day27 by nickgatens, on Flickr

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Those are some great pictures downfall. Do you have a little lightbox with different colored paper/lights or do you kinda just shoot wherever you get inspiration?

That Audi.tw guy is one of my favorite builders, he's made some really great stuff from castles to sci-fi. Everybody should at least glance at his stuff: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=obscurance (I guess his brickshelf name is obscurance but I never noticed that before!)

Dre2Dee2 posted:

LEGO Metal Gear Rex :stare:

Here ya go: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=340118 Oh yeah, in case someone doesn't know, when navigating Brickshelf you can click the 'up' link to reverse through the folder trees. I know it took me awhile to figure that out.

pbpancho posted:

Jesus InfinEight... I do love those black shelves though, I have a bunch but they don't fit in that closet. Perfect for Lego.

If you're saying that then I must be doing something right! And yeah I love those shelves, I wish they were a little easier to adjust height wise, but for the price and flexibility they're hard to beat.

Oh yeah, GidgetNomates and everyone else that wants to get a big collection? Never stop sorting. You will thank yourself later.

This made me chuckle:

Edit again: This is the best way to mount your Falcon: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=485809

Also more 2012 City :aaa:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=486170

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 18, 2011

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Some of my favorite minifigs are City set street cleaners, and I have no idea why :allears:

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
Im terrified and excited for the day when my Lego collection reaches InfinEight levels.

The more my collection grows, the more I find my storage slows me down, because I have to go from drawer to drawer to try and find the stuff I'm looking for no matter how organized I am.

I'm sure its faster than doing the big old fashioned dig though.

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

InfinEight posted:

Those are some great pictures downfall. Do you have a little lightbox with different colored paper/lights or do you kinda just shoot wherever you get inspiration?

Thanks! All of these were on my desk - I have two of those $10 lamps that you can clamp onto the edge of a desk or table and then I throw some colored paper in the background. Most of them have pretty harsh shadows, but I try to shoot images where that's not an issue - the shadows on the spaceman add to the image for example, so it's passable, even though it's not the best lighting setup.

Otherwise, I just try to come up with a scene and see how I can improvise it with stuff in/around my house - the skier and the spaceman both involved me dumping a few cups of flour on my desk. I'm trying to go through and shoot most of the collectable minifigs I have, and I'm going to have to start finding some locations other than my desk soon I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Were you inspired by that one guy that did the Stormtrooper scenes underwater? Those are pretty impressive as well... also I'm jealous since you have those Spartan figs and I never got the chance to find any... also I'm too cheap to buy them now, haha.

CADPAT posted:

Im terrified and excited for the day when my Lego collection reaches InfinEight levels.

The more my collection grows, the more I find my storage slows me down, because I have to go from drawer to drawer to try and find the stuff I'm looking for no matter how organized I am.

I'm sure its faster than doing the big old fashioned dig though.

Having a sorted collection is definitely a mixed blessing and it does seem slower at first. Not to mention I actually enjoy digging though a pile sometimes since you never know what might pop up and be useful. However when you need that one special piece that you know you only have one or two of, it's amazing how nice it is to find it within a minute instead of half an hour.