Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeans
Jan 8, 2011
That went well.

It feels like the pick has almost no of the flaws of the spear, but does it's job a little worse. It's still pretty drat effective, though, considering how the skill is cheaper than all other weapon skills. In tandem with a decent amount of dodge, your ability to stop incoming attacks without armor seems higher, letting you live long enough to put that higher weapon skill to your advantage. You live longer and leave telling blows faster.

Jeans fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't know much about picks but taking off a goblin's leg with one was badass

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Normally I root for the little guy, but having seen so many hapless miners murdered in LPs, my sympathies must go to the dorf on this one.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Normally I root for the little guy, but having seen so many hapless miners murdered in LPs, my sympathies must go to the dorf on this one.

Dwarves and goblins are the same size, so feel free to throw your support fully behind the dwarf!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't really keep up with the interactions with Toady, so random rear end question: Has he mentioned why he just has goblins and no separate orc race, nor other D&D races like gnolls and hobgoblins?

Dire
Dec 31, 2007

Dang it, Pham the Goblin, I had money on you. :arghfist:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Forty-Nine:siren:

Match Forty-Nine, Seņor Murderface (AXE COP) vs. Constable Swires (The Lord of Hats)

Seņor Murderface the strangler has quite the unorthodox style. He carries both an iron battleaxe and an iron war hammer, and wears copper mail and a copper breast plate on his torso, but only leather leggings on his legs. Constable Swires, gnome, wields an iron pick in both hands. He is clad sparsely in copper mail and a copper cap. Which of our little warriors will carry the day? The smart money, as usual, is on the big guy, but let's see if Swires can surprise us!

The combatants line up and the match begins! Swires is just a step faster than his opponent, and opens the match with a quick swing, ripping a hole into one of Murderface's four arms!

The strangler charges, knocking Swires to the ground, stunned. He then sets in on him with his hammer, inflicting bruises and fracturing a leg before Swires can fully recover. But Murderface just charges again, toppling Swires with ease. He continues to pound away with his hammer, but the blows seem ineffectual, perhaps because he's only swinging the hammer with one hand, due to his earlier injury!

Swires rises again, only to be bowled over once more. But this time, he isn't stunned! Despite his relative fortune, Murderface immediately crushes his foot, leaving the gnome unable to stand at all. But he manages to parry another strike, then counters, ripping a chunk out of Murderface's leg! The strangler collapses to the ground beside the gnome. Things are about to get messy!

Rolling, punching, slashing, the two crippled warriors continue to fight as best they can. Swires lands two punches on Murderface to little effect, but the latter seems unable to score so much as a slap on his foe. Both are suffering near-debilitating levels of pain from their injuries. Swires succeeds in roughly hacking off his opponent's already-useless foot. But the gnome is fatigued, and his bruised lung leaves him gasping for air.

For a moment, the two pause just out of combat range and take stock of the situation. Murderface is pale, faltering. Swires is short of breath, but still capable. They both know the next engagement will be the last. Swires drags himself forward to put an end to it, and immediately suffers a shot to the gut. Now the gnome attacks, but the strangler parries, then wearily counters, missing. Finally Murderface sets up a single strike, and lands a crushing blow to the gnome's lower leg! Swires, finally overcome by pain, passes out, and Murderface finishes him off by smashing his skull against the arena floor.

Combat Log

I can't believe Swires didn't pull that one off! The "winded" effect must be worse than I thought, or maybe the double weapon parrying works better than expected.

Jeans
Jan 8, 2011
Sheesh. No break for the little guys.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Fifty:siren:

Match Fifty, Constantine (Orthogonalus) vs. Hiker Nos (ImperialGuard)

Constantine, an elf, wields a steel long sword and wears some simple, hardened leather armor. Hiker Nos the human, on the other hand, opts for a full set of iron armor and his fists. Will his iron armor be enough to dull Constantine's steel blade?? Probably not, but hey, let's see if he at least puts up a fight!

Constantine, being an elf and also being not entirely covered in armor, proves much more fleet-footed than his human opponent. He opens the match by stabbing his sword into Nos's upper arm, the only place where the human lacks armor! But the strike only manages to inflict a shallow wound, despite somehow lodging the sword in place!

Nos charges forward, punching the elf in the kidney and sending him sprawling! He swings at his vulnerable opponent, but Constantine rolls and scrambles, avoiding strikes. The elf leaps to his feet. Nos aims a hook, but Constantine leaps back! Nos throws a leaping punch, and the elf again slips away! Nos simply charges forward again, windmilling wildly, but the elf, untouchable, hops out of reach. Constantine, at last, attempts a strike of his own, charging to put force behind his thrust! The steel blade rips into Nos's thigh, but the charge comes to an abrupt halt as Constantine thuds against his opponent's iron-clad chest and slams to the ground. Nos grabs the downed elf with one hand and delivers a bone-crunching punch with the other, fracturing his arm!

Constantine is immediately on his feet, able to ignore his wound without issue. But Nos doesn't let up- the human rushes the elf again, landing a jab and sending him sprawling! This time, Nos follows him down, immediately hooking his arm around the elf's throat! Constantine struggles to his feet, gasping, but continues to rise as Nos lifts him off of his feet! The elf struggles, then goes limp. Constantine brings his opponent to the ground, never once letting up on his grip. He maintains the hold as Constantine spasms. At one point the elf regains consciousness, but he slips away a moment later, and finally, several minutes later, Hiker Nos lets go of the elf's now limp body entirely. The brawler has pulled it off!

Combat Log

I did some limited testing after this result, pitting copies of the two fighters against one another to see how likely our outcome was. Constantine won seven out of eight test fights. You lucked out, ImperialGuard!

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 17, 2011

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
And with that, we're only five matches away from CIPA the molemarian's debut brawl, hell yeah!

All betting profits from when CIPA undoubtedly crushes Ted the Hurty will go towards charities benefiting children with nervous system disorders.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

holy poo poo. I was totally convinced a wrestler would have no shot against a longswordsman. Crazy. Did the elf spend too many points on the sword and not leave enough for skill perhaps?

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Anchors posted:

And with that, we're only five matches away from CIPA the molemarian's debut brawl, hell yeah!

All betting profits from when CIPA undoubtedly crushes Ted the Hurty will go towards charities benefiting children with nervous system disorders.

All betting profits from Ted the Hurty's glorious demolition of CIPA will go towards expensive jewelry for Ted's mistress.

Also :stare: for Hiker Nos. Kidney punch and a chokeout? That was frickin' awesome.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
Bah, this last match has shown that when it comes to it, wrestlers like Hiker Nos and CIPA don't choke like the rest.

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

:siren:Round One, Match Fifty:siren:

the strike only manages to inflict a shallow wound, despite somehow lodging the sword in place!

"Hah, you didn't expect me to cover myself in FLYPAPER, now did you!?"

Nos, truly a wrestler among wrestlers.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Anchors posted:

Bah, this last match has shown that when it comes to it, wrestlers like Hiker Nos and CIPA don't choke like the rest.

Oh, I have no doubt that CIPA will fight to the fullest extent of her ability.

I'm just saying it will be woefully insufficient.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hooplah posted:

holy poo poo. I was totally convinced a wrestler would have no shot against a longswordsman. Crazy. Did the elf spend too many points on the sword and not leave enough for skill perhaps?

Constantine had a solid, balanced build. If he had gone with a bronze or iron sword, he would have had a hell of a time trying to hurt the well-armored Nos. Sometimes, the wrassler just ends up on top.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
Interestingly enough, I wasn't trying for a wrestler.

There's a reason I posted the following image a while back.

:swoon: Kenshiro, punching people so hard they explode :swoon:

Hiker Nos is an anagram of Kenshiro

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh God. I'm next and Hiker Nos just took all of the wrestling luck with him! gently caress!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ImperialGuard posted:

anime

You've actually made me root against a wrestler. Congratulations :mad:

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010

Beeswax posted:

You've actually made me root against a wrestler. Congratulations :mad:
Not my fault you have an irrational hatred of everything anime ever. :colbert:

Trust me though, I'm as surprised as much as everyone else. I was so uncertain I did the classical "put money on enemy so as to recoup losses theoretical or otherwise" trick.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's always fun to see how these early rounds shake out. So much quirky!

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!

Vox Nihili posted:

I did some limited testing after this result, pitting copies of the two fighters against one another to see how likely our outcome was. Constantine won seven out of eight test fights. You lucked out, ImperialGuard!
If that result was a certainty 8 times out of 8 this 'sport' would get boring fast. That it isn't keeps it interesting. There is always that possibility that the naked gremlin with the copper dagger will instantly decapitate the steel clad troll, that the bowbold's first shot will be a heart-seeker, or that the brawler will beat an elf to death with his bare hands.
drat I love this game. :black101:

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY
Haha, well, gently caress. Lost my fight and all my bets.

I'm rooting for you now, Hiker Nos, the only consolation will be if it turns out I lost to the CHAMPION.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Vox Nihili posted:

Match Forty-Nine, Seņor Murderface (AXE COP) vs. Constable Swires (The Lord of Hats)

Sweet!

The reasoning behind picking two different weapons was "well, battleaxes are good against unarmoured enemies, and hammers are good against armoured enemies... so I'll take both to become MAXIMALLY EFFECTIVE!"

Didn't seem to work out so well with DF's janky combat though.

Also I was fiddling with Murderface's build for the next round and somehow managed to permanently sell his hammer without getting any points back for it. Reverting my chan ges doesn't restore it. Halp

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

AXE COP posted:

Also I was fiddling with Murderface's build for the next round and somehow managed to permanently sell his hammer without getting any points back for it. Reverting my chan ges doesn't restore it. Halp

Make a post in this thread and we'll get it handled for you.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

AXE COP posted:

Sweet!

The reasoning behind picking two different weapons was "well, battleaxes are good against unarmoured enemies, and hammers are good against armoured enemies... so I'll take both to become MAXIMALLY EFFECTIVE!"

Didn't seem to work out so well with DF's janky combat though.
Problem is the game mostly picks one weapon at random and sticks with it. So it won't really make you more flexible just more random.

To make matters worse you will be splitting your weapon skill points between two weapons and weapon skill is probably the most important skill.

Which remind me, I think weapon skill should cost more in the next tournament (maybe not for small creatures), it seems really overpowered compared to other skills, in my tests two or three points in weapon skill will beat a gladiator who has max of a few other skills.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

There are only 3 matches more before mine.

I can't stand the suspense!

Bozikek
Jul 22, 2007

Jack the Lad posted:

There are only 3 matches more before mine.

I can't stand the suspense!

Last fight here, feel my pain.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Fifty-One:siren:

Match Fifty-One, Macho Man Randy Savage Biome (Gildiss) vs. Gary "Hanzo" Busey (Joecool)

Macho Man Randy Savage Biome is a human gladiator with an unusually colorful set of armor. He wears leather gloves, boots, chest piece, and cap, oaken greaves and helm, and tosses some copper mail over the whole mess. His weapon of choice: an oak buckler, of all things. Gary "Hanzo" Busey is a particularly hideous goblin with a silver helm, iron mail shirt, and a steel long sword. I don't expect that Save Biome has much of a chance here, but it wouldn't be the first major upset of this season if he pulled off a win!

The warriors rush forward. Gary strikes first, but cleanly misses. Savage Biome then slams his buckler into Gary's foot, causing, well, mild damage, really.

The two exchange a bizarre series of strikes, blocks, and parries, oak buckler matching steel sword move for move. Then Gary lands a hit on Savage Biome's shoulder, tearing through copper mail and flesh alike. Heartened by his success, Gary screams a war cry and charges, sword slashing wildly, at the human. The strike misses, and Gary bounces harmlessly off of his larger opponent, stunned, but at least maintaining his footing. Savage Biome seizes the opportunity, driving his oak buckler straight into the goblin's head- and off his silver helm, which easily deflects the blow.

Gary recovers, and the fight continues as before, shield and buckler matched blow for blow. Suddenly, though, Gary decides to charge again. The ill-advised maneuver goes about as well as could be hoped- the goblin bounces off as before, but this time, it is Savage Biome that is stunned by the impact!

Despite being stunned, Savage Biome somehow manages to launch himself out of the way of Gary's next swing, then shakes out the cotton and gets back into the fight. Savage Biome attacks- but Gary parries, then stabs the human through the arm! He immediately follows up, stabbing him through the other arm! Has he been toying with him all along?

The next cut lands on Savage Biome's leg, ripping through his shoddy boot and wooden greaves and into the flesh beneath. Savage Biome is clearly suffering from a degree of pain now, but presses on, holding his own in most engagements.

Now the two enter another series of charges, parries, and feints. Savage Biome succeeds in landing a kick and a another shield slap, for what it's worth (not much). Out of the blue, Gary rallies and lands a series of devastating strikes, ripping into Savage Biome's foot such that the human collapses to the ground, then smashing his skull, and finally sheering off his hand. Somehow, the human is not only alive but fully conscious- at least for a moment. He faints a second later, and Gary Busey decapitates him with a solid, accurate chop.

Combat Log

Both warriors had excellent names, but only one had a viable build. Savage Biome put up quite the fight, however- if Joecool hadn't elected to buy a helmet, his goblin might have died in a pitiful fashion. For future reference, shield basher types would do well to at least buy a copper or silver shield/buckler. Wood doesn't cut it for a primary weapon.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Wood doesn't cut it for a primary weapon.
Generally, wood just doesn't cut it for almost anything. Weapons, armor, it's still crappy. The only thing wood is good for is a shield because it's the cheapest material for that.

Take it from someone who plays an Elf in Adventurer mode quite a bit.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:siren:Round One, Match Fifty-Two:siren:

Match Fifty-Two, Hugs for Everyone (steinrokkan) vs. Army of Four (Bad Munki)

Hugs for Everyone, kobold, wears, from toes up, copper boots, copper greaves, leather armor, and copper cap. He bears a steel short sword and an iron buckler. Army of Four the strangler has no equipment but looks hungry and more than a bit pissed off. Is kobold on the menu once more?

The warriors charge forward. Normally the kobold would be faster, but Hugs is weighed down by his gear and unable to match the swift pace set by Army of Four. The strangler gets the first move, and grabs Hugs by the head with his hand! Hugs swings his sword, but her blade cuts through the air cartoonishly short of his opponent!

Now Army of Four rams into his opponent, who cannot hope to dodge while being held in place! The kobold slams into the ground, badly stunned but otherwise unhurt. The strangler grabs the kobold with two of his four free grips, then bites down hard on his hand! His teeth tear right through the unprotected skin, and Hugs screeches in pain and shock. As Hugs stands up, Army of Four shakes his head around wildly, tearing off the kobold's hand at the wrist while simultaneously pulling off his copper boot! He then immediately charges, flooring poor Hugs and leaving him stunned once more. The kobold's steel sword lies forgotten on the ground next to his bloody hand.

Army of Four beats Hugs with his own boot. Hugs, pale from blood loss and increasingly desperate, scrambles to and fro, escaping strike after strike, but leaving a trail of blood as he goes. Army of Four goes for a grasp on his face, but only succeeds in ripping out a tooth. Again and again, Army of Four strikes at the kobold with the copper boot. At first the blows only bruise, but soon the limbs' bones start to crack and eventually snap under the stress, then the spine goes, and some time later Hugs finally has his skull caved in by his own boot. This beat-down, long, vicious, and ironic, will surely go down in arena history.

Combat Log

Note: One (1) level of weapon skill does not cut it for a small fighter.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 24, 2011

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Special Match Fifty-Three Preview:

Bowflex (Silverminnow) the elvish archer comes up against Pinball Wizard (Dallbun) the goblin crossbowman! No gimmick builds this time- just a brutal shootout to the death!

Feel free to place bets armed with this information.

:siren:General Reminder: As soon as your gladiator wins a fight, you can update them for the next round. Don't forget, or your warrior may ultimately be sent into battle without any improvements or under the banner of a new manager!:siren:

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 24, 2011

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holymotherofshitfuck HOW DID I WIN?

Vox Nihili posted:

Note: One (1) level of weapon skill does not cut it for a small fighter.

Oh. That's how. :eng99:

Honestly didn't expect that. Hell yes. I thought that with my build, I was basically doomed. Enjoy the money I bet against myself, supporters! It's your payment for believing in me. :D

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I will devise a better comment on that match when "It's All Too Beautiful" stops playing in my head.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vox Nihili posted:

Round One, Match Fifty-One

Match Fifty-One, Macho Man Randy Savage Biome (Gildiss) vs. Gary "Hanzo" Busey (Joecool)

...and Gary Busey decapitates him with a solid, accurate chop.

:woop::siren: AND SYNTHORANGE FINALLY WINS A FIRST-ROUND BET ON HIS TENTH TRY!!!! :siren::woop:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
gently caress kobolds.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Special Match Fifty-Three Preview:

Bowflex (Silverminnow) the elvish archer comes up against Pinball Wizard (Dallbun) the goblin crossbowman! No gimmick builds this time- just a brutal shootout to the death!
Oh hell yes! Betting the rest of my money on both sides!
EDIT: Oh right, I bet it all already on the Kobolds. :doh:

steinrokkan posted:

gently caress kobolds.
:qq:

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

:siren:Round One, Match Fifty-Two:siren:

Match Fifty-Two, Hugs for Everyone (steinrokkan) vs. Army of Four (Bad Munki)

I normally only lurk but holy poo poo was that metal!

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jazzimus Prime posted:

:woop::siren: AND SYNTHORANGE FINALLY WINS A FIRST-ROUND BET ON HIS TENTH TRY!!!! :siren::woop:

You're welcome Synth. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahahaha, finally! It's been so long! :qq:
(Though watching the streak go on would have been equally hilarious)

• Locked thread