Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Akuma posted:

Why post this? Except to brag that you got away with it?

I was curious if anyone had any idea why they would drop it. I wasn't drunk driving. I was with a girl that was acting all crazy though (Pretty sure she was on pills) and she blew clean on the breathalyzer so I think they figured drugs for me too. I wasn't hosed up but I do smoke weed so that would have showed up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

BattleMaster posted:

The Conservative Party of Canada is building more prisons and is passing legislation to punish more things with jail time, to make sentences longer, and make more things illegal in spite of the crime rate being on a constant downward trend.

When called on it, here's what an official had to say:

http://www.canada.com/news/Feds+divorced+from+reality+crime+Canada+Liberal/5137688/story.html

Remember when they asked Doris Day about it and he said there's unreported crime so we need to build prisons?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2010/08/03/canada-economy-stockwell-day.html

I seriously cannot believe anyone voted for that oval office Harper.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

olylifter posted:

Remember when they asked Doris Day about it and he said there's unreported crime so we need to build prisons?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2010/08/03/canada-economy-stockwell-day.html

I seriously cannot believe anyone voted for that oval office Harper.

At least the comments section appears a bit more rational than those of American news websites.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Pelican Bay SHU prisoners speak out: The struggle continues, hunger strike resumes Sept. 26 (which is my birthday)

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

I just got this week's Newsweek in. They had an interesting article on Jim Webb and the prison system. I haven't seen it here, worth a read. I guess lame ducks can touch third rail stuff.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

WitnessLA posted a story about abuse in the LA County Jail.

LngBolt
Sep 2, 2009
We basically built a prison system in the United States aimed at the minority population. Now that the economy is tanking, (EDIT)white formerly middle class Americans are finding the gun of the system aimed squarely at themselves.

LngBolt fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 21, 2011

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The New York City BAR just released a report describing the conditions of Supermax confinement as torture. link (pdf). I don't know that it'll have much effect, but it's nice to see a prominent legal board acknowledging it as an issue, and looking at it honestly.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Because of 1 bad apple, no more last meals in Texas

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/22/justice/texas-last-meal/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The comments make me cry, people are like going, "bread and water ONLY" over an issue of $100 bucks when there is only 24 people put to death in the US a year.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
One thing we need to fix about our prison system and public perception is the rampant complete dehumanization of anyone unlucky enough to live behind bars. Committing a crime doesn't make someone any less of a human or less deserving of basic human compassion.

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
So, I've got a question: does the FBI hide male on male rape statistics because of prison rape?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Aturaten posted:

So, I've got a question: does the FBI hide male on male rape statistics because of prison rape?

Why would they do such a thing? Surely it can't be in their best inter--oh.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Aturaten posted:

Your average American doesn't believe it even "counts" as prison unless you get raped, so I don't really see why they'd bother.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Aturaten posted:

Prison rape reporting is handled by the DOJ instead of the FBI:

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/programs/corrections.htm

Keep in mind that's just what Alberto Gonzales was willing to admit to; and also how the official numbers for things like police brutality and even unemployment are lowballed while reading, though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

HidingFromGoro posted:

Keep in mind that's just what Alberto Gonzales was willing to admit to; and also how the official numbers for things like police brutality and even unemployment are lowballed while reading, though.
Remember that those in prison don't count as unemployed.
Also, remember the drop in unemployment in the 90s? For high-school educated black males, the unemployment rate went down no because of jobs but because the labor pool was reduced by imprisonment.
:911:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
For those of you interested, the Prison Rape Elimination Commission established by the Prison Rape Elimination Act of 2003 released its report in June, the DOJ has issued a watered down proposed rule.

Highlights:
Not really going to ban cross-gender pat-downs and strip searches, because of cost.
Not going to make jails/prisons with less than 1000 inmates have an oversight coordinator, because of cost.
Not going to mandate third-party auditing, because of ???.
Not going to extend the standards to immigration detention, because of cost.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Sooooooo what's the upside, then?

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Pope Guilty posted:

Sooooooo what's the upside, then?

Some prisons may, in fact, have PREA coordinators overseeing vastly hosed-up conditions and reporting up the ladder. Maybe.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Anybody think that maybe talking about class inequity in the CJ system instead of racial inequity might make a little more sense?

I think how much money you have, or where you live has more to do with how things work out once you're in the jackpot.

It's all fun to decry racial inequity, but really if you look at it(lets say Buffalo, NY) most of the crime is committed in certain areas. Most of those areas are poor, and minority populations.

If you go to certain areas of Buffalo, say Riverside or parts of South Buffalo, the general skin tone of offenders can been seen to lighten up. I.e. Poor white people.

Just a thought.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010
Why instead of? Why can't we talk about the lovely treatment minorities get and the lovely treatment poors get?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

PyRosflam posted:

Because of 1 bad apple, no more last meals in Texas

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/22/justice/texas-last-meal/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

The comments make me cry, people are like going, "bread and water ONLY" over an issue of $100 bucks when there is only 24 people put to death in the US a year.

This is loving glorious racist white rear end in a top hat ruins last meal for a punishment black people get way more than whites it's like one final gently caress you to blacks :sigh:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

You know that last meals are a "best effort" affair by the prison kitchen with no special ingredients or orders to outside restaurants, right? If someone orders lobster, they're going to get whatever frozen fish fillets the cafeteria already had.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

The Oldest Man posted:

You know that last meals are a "best effort" affair by the prison kitchen with no special ingredients or orders to outside restaurants, right? If someone orders lobster, they're going to get whatever frozen fish fillets the cafeteria already had.

Yeah I still think it's bullshit though it's better than nothing.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dingleberry posted:

Anybody think that maybe talking about class inequity in the CJ system instead of racial inequity might make a little more sense?

I think how much money you have, or where you live has more to do with how things work out once you're in the jackpot.

It's all fun to decry racial inequity, but really if you look at it(lets say Buffalo, NY) most of the crime is committed in certain areas. Most of those areas are poor, and minority populations.

If you go to certain areas of Buffalo, say Riverside or parts of South Buffalo, the general skin tone of offenders can been seen to lighten up. I.e. Poor white people.

Just a thought.

Have you actually read the thread? Like at all? Black people get longer, tougher prison sentences than white people for the same crimes. Black people are more likely to receive custodial sentences than whites all other circumstances being equal. Stereotypically "black" drugs like crack cocaine carry longer sentences than stereotypically "white" drugs even if the societal harm is identical. The imbalance in crime rates by race is smaller than the imbalance in prison populations by race

There are two sets of issues. How race, class and socioeconomic status affect the rates of crime being committed, and how race, class and socioeconomic status affect the punishment handed out for those crimes. Both are important areas of discussion, but this being the prison thread, sentencing and imprisonment are the focus of discussion. And here race is a HUGE factor in whether you get a slap on the wrist or your life is destroyed.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Woozy posted:

Your average American doesn't believe it even "counts" as prison unless you get raped, so I don't really see why they'd bother.

In my country there recently was a rape in a prison for women, the perpetrators were caught and punished and the victim were compensated.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

Fatkraken posted:

Have you actually read the thread? Like at all? Black people get longer, tougher prison sentences than white people for the same crimes. Black people are more likely to receive custodial sentences than whites all other circumstances being equal. Stereotypically "black" drugs like crack cocaine carry longer sentences than stereotypically "white" drugs even if the societal harm is identical. The imbalance in crime rates by race is smaller than the imbalance in prison populations by race

What's more; even among black offenders, the darker their skin tone the longer the sentence.

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

Dingleberry posted:

Just a thought.

Your privilege is showing. Actually, racism is prevalent throughout American culture, including the criminal justice system. It's just that as a white person, it is so easy to ignore it.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Selavi posted:

Your privilege is showing. Actually, racism is prevalent throughout American culture, including the criminal justice system. It's just that as a white person, it is so easy to ignore it.

To be fair, it's easy to be ignorant of it, which is a slightly different thing. To ignore something you have to be aware it exists, which isn't necessarily the case here.

It's why threads like this are so important, they impart information outside the main media narrative which really DOES improve peoples knowledge and allow them to have properly informed opinions.

Dingleberry should have read the drat thread though before spouting his totally uninformed opinions.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
I may be horribly ignorant, but I do think you can take stats and twist any argument to prove a point, especially when you're a wannabee social activist.

I worked in a county jail north of Seattle, a larger one(worst job ever, but better that working prisons, or so I'm told). I got to see a lot a white folks come through those doors for drugs. Usually if it was someones first felony arrest, they'd get probation, black or white. 2nd arrest, do some county time, on felony charges. Usually in the PNW it seemed like nobody was doing time for crimes past a few months. I saw alot of black dudes and white dudes(mostly) with 7-10 separate felony convictions by age 25 who spent far less time locked up than I would've thought. I could look at their whole arrest and time served history.

Maybe Washington state is better balanced as far as fairness in sentencing.

I'm no fan of drug laws per se, but generally you would see not just a VUCSA charge but also Car Theft, Robbery 1, Burg, etc in the guys history. So I'm all for locking up dopers who also happen to steal my car, point a gun at me for my money, or break into my house. These stats you cite so righteously often say "Hey look, this black guy got locked up for 10 years for felony drugs, but the white guy got only 10 months, unfair!"

Maybe the black guy was on his third arrest, or maybe not. Who knows, that's the joy of using stats to define an argument. That and no real world experience with the subject matter outside of some lame-o college meeting sponsored by hippy-dippy wannabee activists or blowing each other behind a dumpster at a Food Not Bombs rally.

And Amakorv had a point more like I was getting at, not saying race isn't a factor in a lot of places, but I think class is overlooked. So talk about both.

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 18, 2011

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

Dingleberry posted:

I'm no fan of drug laws per se, but generally you would see not just a VUCSA charge but also Car Theft, Robbery 1, Burg, etc in the guys history. So I'm all for locking up dopers who also happen to steal my car, point a gun at me for my money, or break into my house. These stats you cite so righteously often say "Hey look, this black guy got locked up for 10 years for felony drugs, but the white guy got only 10 months, unfair!"

This seems legit on the surface, but really, why has that( 'I'm assuming 'all else the same')black dude been arrested thrice and the white guy never? Because if we're talking about drug addicts, they're doing the same things; and while both of them are harming society and need rehabilitation, yes, the disproportionate arresting/sentencing against the black man makes this comically unfair. While it is all hosed up, the fact that your prototype 'black dude with three felonies' is placed up against your prototype white guy with no priors, even that assumption shows what a big issue this is.

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 18, 2011

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Dingleberry posted:

I'm not a fan of saying "He's guilty of something..." If the guy stole a car 6 months ago, and is now in for possession, I don't think he should be sentenced harder for the second conviction because of the first. I get it if previous convictions were all of a violent nature, but 10 years for small quantities of drugs just because of a previous record? The defendant could very well have been cleaning up their life, growing up, making something of themselves...and toking up like many other middle America-types. But since they stole a car sometime in the past, or got egged into mugging someone for friends they no longer associate with, they should get a harsher sentence for the same crime as another person? I don't agree.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
I always thought the presumption was that if you were arrested and convicted for a crime, and served your time, that your supposed debt was paid. Double jeopardy says you can't be convicted and sentenced for the same crime more than once, but the way sentencing can be determined based on previous arrests seems to throw that whole idea out the loving window, in the name of being 'tough on crime'.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

A.S.H. posted:

I always thought the presumption was that if you were arrested and convicted for a crime, and served your time, that your supposed debt was paid. Double jeopardy says you can't be convicted and sentenced for the same crime more than once, but the way sentencing can be determined based on previous arrests seems to throw that whole idea out the loving window, in the name of being 'tough on crime'.

But the point of prison is should be rehabilitation, not paying out some sort of debt to society. The principle that people with no previous offenses should get a lighter sentence is one of the few things I think our justice system gets right. The actual problem here is that certain things are only treated as serious crimes when poor or minority people do them.

Amarkov fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 18, 2011

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006
Just to be clear- everyone knows that the studies on racial sentencing disparities control for offense type/severity, prior offenses, conviction date, and things like that, right? It might seem natural to say to yourself "surely there's more to the story that these wannabe social activists are hiding," but no, race affects severity of punishment and yes, it really is that simple. The government doesn't even try to deny or hide it, and as far as I know even rightwing groups such as Heritage, AEI, etc don't either.

As far as class issues, there's a whole book about this I posted in the beginning of the thread:

And here's a free online study guide & companion site.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Generally the previous arrests are under some sort of probation or parole; they get a new charge(and conviction) and can end up serving time on the older charge. Nobody generally serves a full sentence on a conviction. I.E., gets 14 months for car theft, serves 7 months, out on supervision, gets popped for car prowl, and has meth on them. Pleads to the meth, gets 6 months for the meth, plus say 2 months for the previous charge. If the judge is nice(out here they usually are) they get it concurrent, so they are serving the two months at the same time as the 6. Of course 6 with good time at county is actually 4 months.

I'd love to see everybody rehab'd. About 70% of the folks I saw in the jail prolly didn't need to be there. The other 30% varied from needing to be there for a while to those you wish they would never let out.

As far as not using someones past in sentencing; let's say its a sex offender, and he's popped with meth. The trial doesn't allow for previous bad acts to be admitted into evidence as far as guilt. Sentencing, on the other hand allows the judge to ramp up, or down, the sentence based upon pre-sentencing recommendations.

It's all nice to say "Hey, Billy did his time, let him be." But does Billy need to have a gun? Or be able to drink, or work in a daycare center? The voting thing is hosed up; If you're out of custody you should be able to vote, as you're paying taxes, etc.

If we simply raised sales tax .5% all the problems with not having enough money for proper rehab programs would rapidly disappear.

Now, also most folks going to prison are still going for violent crime; murder, rape, robbery, assault... Many probably have a drug history, or caught drug charges at the time of arrest for the other crime. So statistically maybe they could be said to be going up for drug offenses if you want to interpret it that way.

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/corrtyp.cfm

and...

http://criminology.fsu.edu/crimtheory/reiman.htm

Dingleberry fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 18, 2011

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006

Dingleberry posted:

Nobody generally serves a full sentence on a conviction.

Not always - there is no parole in Virginia.

_coolcat_
Sep 12, 2004
You'll serve a mandatory 85% of your sentence in Florida. Sure it's not *all* but that is a long ways away from what you're talking about. Things aren't the same everywhere.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/timeserv/doing/

edit: Another stat from that link:

On June 30, 2011, the vast majority (96.9%) of all inmates in prison had been sentenced under the 85% law.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dingleberry posted:

The voting thing is hosed up; If you're out of custody you should be able to vote, as you're paying taxes, etc.

You should be able to vote if you're IN prison. And if you're not paying taxes. Every single person over the age of majority should be able to take part in the democratic process, no ifs ands or buts. EVERYONE.

Nearly 2.5% of the adult population is disenfranchised because of felony convictions. Many of these are EX prisoners, and have served their time. 5 million people without a voice.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Fatkraken posted:

You should be able to vote if you're IN prison.

You should be able to, but it's too easy to imagine prisons implementing not-so-secret ballots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

eSports Chaebol posted:

You should be able to, but it's too easy to imagine prisons implementing not-so-secret ballots.

Yeah I did think this, you'd need a lot of external oversight to prevent fraud and intimidation and that would be expensive. I'm of the opinion that no expense should be spared to ensure free and fair elections, but that's a tough sell.

• Locked thread