Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

There's also this option:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382922

I'd be willing to go check it out but I'm still down in Santa Barbara. I'll be moving back to the Bay sometime around January.

He's asking a bit much but I bet that $2400 in hundreds is a great motivator.

gently caress that bike is sexy. Just emailed him.

Think if I offered him 2800 he'd bite?

Sucks you're so far away right now. I also wanna meet up and learn some good riding skills with people. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Xovaan posted:

gently caress that bike is sexy. Just emailed him.

Think if I offered him 2800 he'd bite?

Sucks you're so far away right now. I also wanna meet up and learn some good riding skills with people. :)

Quite possibly. It's a bit on the high side for a Gen 1, but that looks nicely kept and modded.

Check out Proficient Motorcycling, Sport Riding Techniques, and Total Control, and then get some practice under your belt, and then you should be good to start learning. Also, you've got a great resource in the Doc Wong rides nearby...check them out on BARF, stick with the slowest group to start with, it's strictly speed limit, which is perfect for a new rider.

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
I just finished reading Proficient Motorcycling and I highly recommend it. Some really great tips for riding and an entertaining read.

Edit: And for those who don't like to buy books I used :filez: and checked it out from the library by my house.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 13, 2011

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Definitely checking out those books. I already completed the motorcycle safety course and they went over a ton of stuff and I got about 16 hours of riding time. (which isn't much but it definitely ironed out the kinks since I hadn't ridden anything bigger than a bicycle before this)

edit: he's hauling the bike up in his truck Wednesday and I think if it checks out I'm gonna settle on 2900, because it looks like an absolute killer deal for the work put into it and talking to him via texts, his literacy and knowledge is in tune with somebody who actually likes bikes and not just a fanboy.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 13, 2011

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

:swoon: BUY IT YOU MOTHERFUCKER.

I've definitely grown a very, very soft spot for 1st gens.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It will be mine with every tool, piece of gear, and the stand for $3100 on Tuesday or Wednesday. :)

So excited. :swoon:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Jesus Christ, that looks pretty good. Is $3100 a good price for something like that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Odette posted:

Jesus Christ, that looks pretty good. Is $3100 a good price for something like that?

It's on the high side, but if the bike was properly maintained, the guy's delivering it, if the gear fits, etc, it's not a horrible deal. Better to spend a bit more up front and get a properly maintained bike than get it cheap on the front end and get screwed when you find out all the hosed up stuff.

I'm picking up my SV tomorrow :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah, and on top of that, he's giving me a run through the maintenance required as well as some riding tips for the perks of the bike. He's confident I'll do well on it as my first bike and says it's extremely reliable. Even if the other options might have been "better" (newer, closer to stock) bikes, I sincerely doubt I'd have gotten the connection with the other sellers that I get with this guy.

Plus, the thing looks like some kind of weird bug from Starship Troopers. Or maybe a hornet or a wasp. That's kind of cool.

In January we'll have to ride together, Z3n!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Definitely, you know where to find me when I get back up there, haha.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Xovaan posted:

In January we'll have to ride together, Z3n!

January?!? But its too cold in .... :eng99:

California!!!
:argh:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Xovaan, can you post pictures of the front of your new SV? I'm curious as to what it's made up of.

Yesterday I did my first oil change on my beloved 2000 SV650. There was a hole drilled through the head of the oil drain bolt. I looked at the other bolts on the bike & didn't see any other drilled heads. why would just that one bolt be drilled throug? hm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trackday prep.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

the walkin dude posted:

Xovaan, can you post pictures of the front of your new SV? I'm curious as to what it's made up of.

I'll take pics when I get it Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. :D

Any first-rider tips for a bike like this that the safety course didn't cover?

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Xovaan posted:

I'll take pics when I get it Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. :D

Any first-rider tips for a bike like this that the safety course didn't cover?

Just take it easy and you'll be fine. Power delivery on the SV is pretty easy to handle but be light on the throttle and make sure you take your time getting used to your bike on side streets/car parks etc.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I agree with the above, and practice operating the friction zone in 1st gear without using any throttle for a while (tooling around at 2-3mph), before you move on to using the throttle. The SV has a torquey motor that you need to get adjusted to. Knowing the friction zone is important.

Congrats on the beautiful find :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks, guys. I owe Z3n a beer or something for the find too. :) I guarantee you it's gonna be babied while I learn. My logic for a purchase like this is "I need something that doesn't lose acceleration going up hills like my Volvo 240" so anything else is an added bonus. I feel there will be tons of added bonuses past this logic as well.

Now I'm gonna get a newer helmet, better armored pants, and real safety vest instead of this construction one my friend gave me (my classes end at nightfall).

The bike gear thread recommends Kriega packs for all-weather riding and commuting. What are your guys' thoughts?

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Xovaan posted:

The bike gear thread recommends Kriega packs for all-weather riding and commuting. What are your guys' thoughts?

The R25 is probably the best all-round motorcycle pack in existence. R35 if you carry lots of poo poo (don't get this if you have a short torso though, the bag is pretty long), R20 if you don't. You will NOT regret a Kriega pack.

...ask Z3n about his :smug:ness about chrome bags, then his switch to Kriega :colbert:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

...ask Z3n about his :smug:ness about chrome bags, then his switch to Kriega :colbert:

Chrome for bicycles and fixie cred, Kriega for bieks.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for the replies!

I plan on holding my bike boots + pants in the pack along with my laptop, some books, and a binder, and on days I go to the gym just shoes. Pretty light stuff.

Would the R25 be able to hold a pair of shoes and pants for class? What would be the best model for this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

R25 would be fine for that. I have a fixation for storage, so I'd go with the R35, but I've also got a long torso and short legs, so it fits me really nicely. My Chrome bag is the 40 liter one, so...I think more storage is better than less.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I have a fixation for storage, so I'd go with the R35

:hfive:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Worth looking into for $2,300?

I'm fine with cosmetic damage, as with too clean a bike I just end up worrying about mussing it up. I'm not familiar enough with aftermarket SV parts; is this curb-feeler crap or decent upgrades?

quote:

2005 Suzuki SV650 naked, 13k miles. Clean VA title. The bike was dropped at 5 mi/hr, so there is a dent in fuel tank.
It also has a lot of extras including: shogun slider pucks to be installed.

• M4 exhaust
• After Market Rear Seat Cowl
• Integrated turn signals
• Rear fender eliminator kit
• Suzuki Gel Seat
• After market side view mirrors
• Rear Tire Hugger
• New Rear Tire
• Neon License Plate Holders
• LSL handlebar for more comfort riding

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I'm fine with cosmetic damage, as with too clean a bike I just end up worrying about mussing it up. I'm not familiar enough with aftermarket SV parts; is this curb-feeler crap or decent upgrades?

That's a pretty decent deal, assuming the damage isnt horrible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Some cosmetic stuff, some worthwhile. M4 makes great exhausts, the lsl kit bar is much better than the stupid stock one, the rest is cosmetic/BS stuff. Good deal though at that price.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

R25 would be fine for that. I have a fixation for storage, so I'd go with the R35, but I've also got a long torso and short legs, so it fits me really nicely. My Chrome bag is the 40 liter one, so...I think more storage is better than less.

I'm 6'2" with a 35" inseam but I'm pretty lanky all around. I think I might end up getting the R35 in case I ever wanna visit my friends around norcal.

What seats do you guys recommend for comfort for distance riding? (2+ hours each way)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Xovaan posted:

What seats do you guys recommend for comfort for distance riding? (2+ hours each way)

I've been really happy with my Corbin, did a few 8 hour days on it without too much discomfort.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Hey guys.

Due to my own dumbassedness, my chain jumped off the sprockets tonight and broke this thing

and caused oil to leak everywhere.

So I'm assuming I'll just replace the rod and seal (and chain and sprockets too, ordered those on friday.) right? Anything I should be looking for damage-wise?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

invision posted:

Hey guys.

Due to my own dumbassedness, my chain jumped off the sprockets tonight and broke this thing

and caused oil to leak everywhere.

So I'm assuming I'll just replace the rod and seal (and chain and sprockets too, ordered those on friday.) right? Anything I should be looking for damage-wise?

That's the clutch pushrod...check that it doesn't bind up when you install the new one.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Z3n posted:

That's the clutch pushrod...check that it doesn't bind up when you install the new one.

Do I just... push the new one in there?

(pun kind of intended.)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

invision posted:

Do I just... push the new one in there?

(pun kind of intended.)

I think you'll have to pull the clutch cover and the clutch pressure plate and put it through that way. Easy enough, though...only a few bolts to get to the cover...although on a gen 2 you might not just be able tocome remove the clutch cover, I forget.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just to be confident I've eliminated the other possibilities for a streetfighter: are there any sport bikes commonly available in the US which are more powerful than the 250 Ninja but yet lighter/lower/smaller than the SV650, other than the smaller Monsters?

I still like the looks of the Monsters, but grant a SV650 is apparently going to be easier to work on, more used bikes on the market, and more used bikes with less babying and more wear so I can muck without ruining a pristine bike.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking any other good compact sport bike, but in the US there seems to be a sizable gap between the Ninja 250 and the SV650. The GS500 is weaker than the SV, but from what I can read of the stats, it's not really any shorter, thinner, or lighter.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Triumphs have a similar style to the Monster and SV650, but they're also pretty expensive compared to the ones you're looking at.

http://www.roadcarvin.com/2008-motorcycle-models/triumph/street-triple

My safety course instructor had one and they're absolutely gorgeous in person. They also apparently have some of the best brakes out there right now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Speed Four can be found cheaper, although it's not really any lighter than an SV. It is higher power, though.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

I have a Scorpion Street Extreme (I think) slip-on. Is there anything I can do to make it quieter, or would I be better off trading exhausts with someone? I really like the deep sound it makes, I'd just like it to be a bit quieter.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Endless Mike posted:

A Speed Four can be found cheaper, although it's not really any lighter than an SV. It is higher power, though.

I'm fine with lower power; as it is the SV650's 60-75hp is a substantial step up from the 25hp Nighthawk I was riding, and still a bit over the 55hp of my Bonneville. I have no interest in popping wheelies, and particularly not in inadvertently popping wheelies, so even the 50hp of the GS500 would probably be fine by me. I'm just leaning to the SV since it seems to have such a following, plenty of parts, and again isn't any bigger/heavier than the GS500.

Speaking of parts and such: let's say I find a good deal on a naked SV650, but it's a colour I'm not excited about, and/or the tank and rear plastic and such are in great shape so it'd be a waste to dick with them for a streetfighter mod. Is it practical to remove the fender, tank, rear plastic, etc. and look for someone on Craigslist or wherever who has a cosmetically damaged set thereof? Then I could spraypaint the dented/scratched tank and fender, put on some custom seat, etc. and not feel I was dicking up a pristine bike. Or is it better to just spend extra time finding a cosmetically worn bike, or just be willing to gently caress up the cosmetics of an otherwise clean bike provided I got it cheap? The last option just seems a little wasteful.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
You can toss the fairings/tank up on svrider.com, and find the stuff you want there.

I don't miss living in DC :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bike is here Wednesday at 11am, and Thursday it's insured and I have an appointment at the DMV to register it under my name then I'm heading to Cycle Gear to get this Shoei helmet that fit me absolutely perfectly to replace my friend's old Orky as gently caress (and very beat to poo poo and horribly unsafe) Arai helmet he gave me:

Yes, the bandaids are there for a reason. :argh:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Just to be confident I've eliminated the other possibilities for a streetfighter: are there any sport bikes commonly available in the US which are more powerful than the 250 Ninja but yet lighter/lower/smaller than the SV650, other than the smaller Monsters?

I still like the looks of the Monsters, but grant a SV650 is apparently going to be easier to work on, more used bikes on the market, and more used bikes with less babying and more wear so I can muck without ruining a pristine bike.

Just wanted to make sure I'm not overlooking any other good compact sport bike, but in the US there seems to be a sizable gap between the Ninja 250 and the SV650. The GS500 is weaker than the SV, but from what I can read of the stats, it's not really any shorter, thinner, or lighter.

GS500 was my first bike, SV650 is my second. The GS500 is pretty good bit lower and lighter compared to the SV. BUT, the GS500 put out only around 37 or so horsepower. It felt quick enough for me, but then again I consider the SV a rocket ship. The other thing to keep in mind is the gs500 did feel quick and I weigh like 300lbs. So it should be able to handle two up no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Speaking of parts and such: let's say I find a good deal on a naked SV650, but it's a colour I'm not excited about, and/or the tank and rear plastic and such are in great shape so it'd be a waste to dick with them for a streetfighter mod. Is it practical to remove the fender, tank, rear plastic, etc. and look for someone on Craigslist or wherever who has a cosmetically damaged set thereof? Then I could spraypaint the dented/scratched tank and fender, put on some custom seat, etc. and not feel I was dicking up a pristine bike. Or is it better to just spend extra time finding a cosmetically worn bike, or just be willing to gently caress up the cosmetics of an otherwise clean bike provided I got it cheap? The last option just seems a little wasteful.
Personally, Id go for a better example, since there will likely be fewer post-crash problems. Not that a crashed one will necessarily be bad, but you never know. After selling the good parts, you'd probably break even, anyway.

• Locked thread