Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Ok, I'm getting frustrated. For some reason, the last two iTunes update have left me with a blank screen in iTunes Store. The solution both times has been creating a new exception for iTunes in Windows Firewall. For whatever reason, the existing exceptions don't work, but creating a new one for each update does.

Not sure who to be frustrated with, but it sure doesn't make a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Goober Peas posted:

Ok, I'm getting frustrated. For some reason, the last two iTunes update have left me with a blank screen in iTunes Store. The solution both times has been creating a new exception for iTunes in Windows Firewall. For whatever reason, the existing exceptions don't work, but creating a new one for each update does.

Not sure who to be frustrated with, but it sure doesn't make a lot of sense.

I don't know what the deal is with the way iTunes updates. It always breaks my taskbar shortcut, even though iTunes.exe is in the SAME drat PLACE.

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

So here's a new one:

I can't rename artists names. I click on music under my ipod in itunes, do the get info thing, and change the artist name, change it, hit OK and in itunes the artist name is changed. But then on the ipod itself, it's still the same. So I have both "Blink-182" and "Blink 182" for example even though when I plug in the ipod and look in itunes, it's all the same. Can't figure this one out. Thoughts?

It's a brand new ipod touch, if that matters.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Saint Jimmy posted:

So here's a new one:

I can't rename artists names. I click on music under my ipod in itunes, do the get info thing, and change the artist name, change it, hit OK and in itunes the artist name is changed. But then on the ipod itself, it's still the same. So I have both "Blink-182" and "Blink 182" for example even though when I plug in the ipod and look in itunes, it's all the same. Can't figure this one out. Thoughts?

It's a brand new ipod touch, if that matters.

Maybe try resyncing your music?

Saint Jimmy
Jul 5, 2006

Meaning what? I've never had to sync anything. It's always been drag and drop.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It seems that the new iPad music app, when set to display by Artist (or Album), is the same as iTunes "grid view". I have the same problem in both:

When I tell it to display by Artist, can I get it to use the entry for Artist rather than Album Artist?

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It seems that the new iPad music app, when set to display by Artist (or Album), is the same as iTunes "grid view". I have the same problem in both:

When I tell it to display by Artist, can I get it to use the entry for Artist rather than Album Artist?

If it's anything like the iPhone, there's an option in the Music settings.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

moms pubis posted:

If it's anything like the iPhone, there's an option in the Music settings.
:doh:

Thanks. And after all the time I've spent looking through Settings this last week.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Every time I plug in my iPod touch, since installing iOS 5 it always has to sync Genius data, even though my Genius data hasn't changed since last sync. This has added a couple of minutes to my sync. Any idea why it would be doing this?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I constantly get a "The attempt to burn a disc failed. The burn failed because of a medium write error." in iTunes on a Mac Pro with 12 GB of RAM running Lion with all the updates. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I even set the burn speed lower.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

TheState posted:

I constantly get a "The attempt to burn a disc failed. The burn failed because of a medium write error." in iTunes on a Mac Pro with 12 GB of RAM running Lion with all the updates. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it? I even set the burn speed lower.

Sounds like the drive itself is going bad, probably the laser failing.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Frozen-Solid posted:

Sounds like the drive itself is going bad, probably the laser failing.

I'm trying it in the second drive bay to see if it makes a difference. I'll let you know.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Yep, you might be on to something there. The friggin' thing burned in bay two. Welp. Aaaand it's just out of Apple Care.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

TheState posted:

Yep, you might be on to something there. The friggin' thing burned in bay two. Welp. Aaaand it's just out of Apple Care.
Maybe they'll hook you up anyway (especially if it was exhibiting the problem before the warranty ran). Worth a shot!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Any reason why my podcast artwork seems to be randomly appearing/disappearing? I just started paying attention, but at least the Carolla show, Sklarbro Country, WTF, and How Did This Get Made have all had artwork either appear or disappear without warning. Everything's automated at this point, so I don't know if I messed something up or if it's just iTunes being weird.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Speaking of podcasts, does anyone else have a problem with syncing podcasts from iPod touch to iTunes?

It seems like the podcasts I downloaded on iTunes and synced the other way work great (after I listen to them and sync, they disappear) but the podcasts I downloaded on my iPod and finished listening to don't disappear from the iPod. I even tried deleting the podcasts from iTunes and when I sync, it transfers them from iPod to iTunes again, instead of removing them from the iPod

This just started happening either on iOS5 or the latest iTunes

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

SupahCoolX posted:

Maybe they'll hook you up anyway (especially if it was exhibiting the problem before the warranty ran). Worth a shot!

I've had good luck with this; especially if you buy Applecare, they seem to have a lot of leeway about "making it right." Just don't go in there with the "I demand you fix this" attitude, more a "I wonder if you could tell me what's wrong."

edit: has anyone else noticed that when you're doing playback of content on an tethered iDevice through iTunes, eject no longer does a sync (saving positions in videos & podcasts) first?

fordan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 20, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
I scanned the last two pages but I didn't see this mentioned. Since upgrading to iOS 5 and the latest version of iTunes, I get the following error when I try to sync via WiFi. I can see the "file type is not supported," but I never had a problem syncing tracks before, and haven't done anything to these tracks other than upgrade iTunes. But now they won't sync. Any ideas?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mark-p87
Sep 27, 2006
Really Dystopian Rhetoric
I seem to be having an issue syncing artwork to my iPhone after upgrading to iOS 5. This only applies to music I've purchased on the phone itself, everything else syncs fine. The artwork displayed fine before the upgrade, and it still shows up in iTunes itself, but when it syncs to the phone it doesn't show.
It also seems that when I choose not to sync the music I bought on the phone, it still shows up. Is this normal?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kobayashi posted:

I scanned the last two pages but I didn't see this mentioned. Since upgrading to iOS 5 and the latest version of iTunes, I get the following error when I try to sync via WiFi. I can see the "file type is not supported," but I never had a problem syncing tracks before, and haven't done anything to these tracks other than upgrade iTunes. But now they won't sync. Any ideas?

What are the file types of these songs it can't sync? You can tell by clicking on them and getting info on them.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm a bit confused about iTunes match and iTunes on the cloud. I get that I can now download any of my previously downloaded songs and they live on my idevice just as if I had synced it with a computer but how will iTunes match work? Will it be a similar affair or will the cloud library just appear on the device even though none of the data has been streamed/downloaded yet? Will there be any indicators as to if the data is living locally on the device or has yet to be downloaded/streamed?

What if I have a lovely 64kbs mono mp3 synced traditionally to my idevice and then I go and enable iTunes match. Will the file living on the idevice get replaced with the 256kbs version on first play? What about the file on the computer? Will it get ignored on future plays?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Shaocaholica posted:

I'm a bit confused about iTunes match and iTunes on the cloud. I get that I can now download any of my previously downloaded songs and they live on my idevice just as if I had synced it with a computer but how will iTunes match work? Will it be a similar affair or will the cloud library just appear on the device even though none of the data has been streamed/downloaded yet? Will there be any indicators as to if the data is living locally on the device or has yet to be downloaded/streamed?

What if I have a lovely 64kbs mono mp3 synced traditionally to my idevice and then I go and enable iTunes match. Will the file living on the idevice get replaced with the 256kbs version on first play? What about the file on the computer? Will it get ignored on future plays?

The files will only get replaced with 256kb when you pull them from the cloud. Once iTunes scans, matches and uploads your library you just go to settings> music> enable iTunes match on your iPhone. Once you do that you will get an option to see your whole iTunes library, cloud tracks included (which will stream/download at play).

Once you enable "view whole library" on the phone it will wipe any music you have on your device out and replace it with cloud data.

I suggest waiting to turn on iTunes match on your iPhone till you have completed the whole match process on your computer.

Its great so far! definitely worth the 24.99 a year.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bonzaisushi posted:

The files will only get replaced with 256kb when you pull them from the cloud. Once iTunes scans, matches and uploads your library you just go to settings> music> enable iTunes match on your iPhone. Once you do that you will get an option to see your whole iTunes library, cloud tracks included (which will stream/download at play).

Once you enable "view whole library" on the phone it will wipe any music you have on your device out and replace it with cloud data.

I suggest waiting to turn on iTunes match on your iPhone till you have completed the whole match process on your computer.

Ok thanks. So just to be clear, iTunes match is smart enough to keep a copy of songs that have already streamed so that future plays will not require streaming them again? And it also has some logic to deal with when the device storage gets full and starts bumping off tracks at a first in first out or least played basis?

So does itunes match work on computers as well? Can I enable it on a secondary or more Mac/PC or is it limited to iphone/ipad/ipod?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

bonzaisushi posted:

What happens if you delete your original copy? I have some CDs I've ripped that were pretty scratched and made the tracks almost unlistenable. Can I keep the bad ones, sign up for match and then delete the bad ones?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Ok thanks. So just to be clear, iTunes match is smart enough to keep a copy of songs that have already streamed so that future plays will not require streaming them again? And it also has some logic to deal with when the device storage gets full and starts bumping off tracks at a first in first out or least played basis?

I'm not positive about this because I haven't come close to filling my phone's storage yet, but I think you have to manually delete them when your device gets too full. I don't think it automatically removes anything. You can always tell which songs are actually on your device though, because the ones that aren't will have an iCloud download button next to them.

Shaocaholica posted:

So does itunes match work on computers as well? Can I enable it on a secondary or more Mac/PC or is it limited to iphone/ipad/ipod?
I believe you can have it on up to five computers.

Moeru posted:

What happens if you delete your original copy? I have some CDs I've ripped that were pretty scratched and made the tracks almost unlistenable. Can I keep the bad ones, sign up for match and then delete the bad ones?

When you delete the song from iTunes, it will still be listed in your library, but with a little iCloud download button next to it. You can then re-download the song, and assuming it matched it rather than just uploading the bad copy, you will get the good copy.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Once you hit play on your phone it will be stored on your device till you manually delete it. My phone has not been full so i have not tried downloading one to see if it makes space for you if needed, i will try that and report back.

And it works on computers as well, so after it scans and matches your library you could delete your whole physical library and download EVERYTHING back on to your computer again. At 256kb (if it was on apples servers and not uploaded by you)

Here is what happens when you delete a song:

A cloud icon pops up next to it and all you do is click it and bam back on your computer. Computer crashes and you don't have your library backed up? no worries, Hit download and bam, library is returned.

It works the same way on the phone, you can view your whole library and with a tap download whatever you need to your phone. Under the music settings it also has an option to only show what has been downloaded to the phone that way you don't spend 10 years wading through a massive library to find a few tracks.

Seriously, don't even hesitate to sign up for this! Its amazing.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 24, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bonzaisushi posted:

Seriously, don't even hesitate to sign up for this! Its amazing.

I have a couple complaints about it, but overall I think it's great.

My problems are that (like Photo Stream) there's no way to actually remove anything from your library once it's uploaded, there's no way for me to manually sync the songs I always want to have, and the success rate of the matching just doesn't seem high enough yet in the betas. I'm guessing that complaints one and three at least will probably be worked out in time though.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh so if I have some 'old songs' I never listen to and embarrassed to have and they get scanned then I have to live with them for the life of the account?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh so if I have some 'old songs' I never listen to and embarrassed to have and they get scanned then I have to live with them for the life of the account?

it appears to be that way right now, just tried to delete some clouded songs and they just stay. I can see how that would be a bit annoying, but surely that is something they will handle at a later date. I had 8749 items that iTunes did not have that i had to upload last night and somehow I'm down to 1119, no idea what kind of voodoo they have going on but that was insanely fast. I am excited to see how this service will evolve, the pros definitely outweigh the cons and for 2.80 a month i just have a hard time bitching about anything haha.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can I pick and choose which tracks get scanned or is it a all or nothing affair?

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Can I pick and choose which tracks get scanned or is it a all or nothing affair?

Looks like you gotta go all in as of right now. But i don't think match has officially launched at least thats the impression i have gotten so far so maybe they will drop some more knowledge on us over the next few days about how it works.

bonzaisushi fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 24, 2011

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

bonzaisushi posted:

Looks like you gotta go all in as of right now. But i don't think match has officially launched at least thats the impression i have gotten so far so maybe they will drop some more knowledge on us over the next few days about how it works.

It hasn't launched yet. I think it's out of beta though. I keep hearing different launch dates. I keep hearing it's going to happen this month.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
One more thing. How does itunes match handle duplicates? Will it condense them down to 1 library item or will it store multiple copies of the same thing? Or is it even possible to store multiple copies of the same thing in the cloud? Seems like that would be one of the first things to not allow.

Also, at $25/year, it seems that all those paid itunes library organizers and cleaners are now all of a sudden obsolete and over priced.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

One more thing. How does itunes match handle duplicates? Will it condense them down to 1 library item or will it store multiple copies of the same thing? Or is it even possible to store multiple copies of the same thing in the cloud? Seems like that would be one of the first things to not allow.

Also, at $25/year, it seems that all those paid itunes library organizers and cleaners are now all of a sudden obsolete and over priced.

It took all of my duplicate songs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

bonzaisushi posted:

It took all of my duplicate songs.

I don't quite get this blog entry unless they totally don't understand how match works:

http://support.tuneupmedia.com/entries/20189261-tuneup-icloud#overview

Not sure what incentive I would have to pay $40/year/computer to do what I already get with match.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Why wont iTunes find certain bands when I search for them in my library?

I know I have them but they just don't show up. Running iTunes 10.5 on a windows 7 if that matters. I've never really had this problem before until now :confused:

EDIT- This issue seems to have fixed itself for now :iiam:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 27, 2011

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

IUG posted:

What are the file types of these songs it can't sync? You can tell by clicking on them and getting info on them.

They're just MP3s. They always worked fine below.

Regardless, it seems to be caused (?) by moving files around. I have all of my music on a wireless network drive, so there is a non-trivial amount of latency whenever iTunes tries to do anything. Even starting a song takes a second or two. I remember when I first moved from Windows to a Mac how it BLEW MY MIND that iTunes kept track of my music after I retagged, renamed, and moved it around. Something about tracking the file block or something. Either way, it's indistinguishable from magic to me.

Well, whenever I move a mass of albums around (ie from "Downloads" to "poo poo I've Listened To"), my iTunes library seems to decay. I lose tracks. Tracks stop syncing. Tracks get grouped together with different albums. It's weird. The only thing I can think of is that I download a lot of random poo poo from the Internet, listen to it a few times from iTunes, then clean it up. I think that's contributing to the problem, but I clearly have no idea what I'm talking about, so who knows.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Kobayashi posted:

Well, whenever I move a mass of albums around (ie from "Downloads" to "poo poo I've Listened To"), my iTunes library seems to decay.

What sort of network drive are you using? If it's non-Apple and serving over AFP, I have definitely seen some major issues come out of case sensitivity and special character bugs in the open source implementation of AFP (netatalk?) combined with iTunes. Sometimes accessing a file on two paths which differ only by case (capitalization) is either broken or buggy, and iTunes freaks out.

The magic that lets iTunes keep track of files works best on a native HFS+ drive, maybe works on an Apple AFP server, and I would be surprised if it wasn't horrifically broken with any non-Apple AFP (or other network protocol) server.

I'd recommend getting a big external disk and putting your collection on that, at least to keep from being bitten by network filesystem incompatibilities.

To maybe fix the issue, do a Get Info on the songs that are broken and see if the filesystem location that iTunes thinks they're at matches up exactly with their actual filesystem location as seen by Finder or Terminal, and if it's different then rename the files to something else and refind them in iTunes.

( And as always, I recommend letting iTunes manage your music, it makes life better when you don't have to think about files at all. )

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

chimz posted:

( And as always, I recommend letting iTunes manage your music, it makes life better when you don't have to think about files at all. )

I think I need to PM a mod and ask them to change the topic title to "iTunes thread: Just let iTune manage your music, please".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBob
May 16, 2004

Kaylee, what the hell's going on in the engine room? Were there monkeys?

IUG posted:

I think I need to PM a mod and ask them to change the topic title to "iTunes thread: Just let iTune manage your music, please".

I prefer not to let iTunes manage my music because I really don't like how it moves all the files around. I've got everything organized like [Artist Name]/[Album Title]/[Song Name].mp3

Swear to god I've heard this.