Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

GidgetNomates posted:

I really need to get some of those small drawers like you have. I have a few tackle box-style containers but it'd be nice if I had enough room to sort things by color. I also obviously wish I had that many parts

Does anyone have any of the Alien Conquest sets? Particularly ones around $40 or less. I've thought about getting one if only because the pieces seem to include a lot of pretty awesome neon colors, but I want to know if they really feel worth the money. The Tripod Invader looks pretty dang neat. I bought the Alien Striker today since it was $5 and I definitely like those cool green and purple pieces. I just don't know much about this line and want to know what you guys think about them.

I got the sub-$30 dollar sets and they're all pretty awesome. The little Alien Striker is worth picking up multiples of if you want lots of aliens with neat little flying swoopy things, the attack buggie is decent, the Tripod as many people have said is amazing (get multiples!), and the UFO Abduction set is pretty awesome too. It's the first time I've had a light-up brick and it's bright as hell and with the way it shines with parts of it blocked off, it actually looks kind of eerie. You could do worse with your Lego moneys than pick them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

InfinEight posted:

Were you inspired by that one guy that did the Stormtrooper scenes underwater? Those are pretty impressive as well... also I'm jealous since you have those Spartan figs and I never got the chance to find any... also I'm too cheap to buy them now, haha.

Yeah, I love those shots, and the way he set them up was ingenious. I don't even have the ability to do something quite like that, but they inspired me to do something more than take a picture of a minifig on a table. Other than that, aside from having to come up with something to shoot every day for this project, there's a pretty active photo community on Google+, and there are a lot of photography themes that people have created, one of which is aptly named Toy Tuesday. It's just a way to encourage people to take more photos - and so I just sorta put it all together.

I have some Spartans that I didn't open if you want them. I was going to set up a Bricklink store to sell those and some of my old Star Wars sets after I lost my job, but I ended up finding a new job fairly quickly, so I don't really care - I'd rather sell them for cost to someone who wants them to keep them than sell them for cost on Bricklink so they end up back on Bricklink for twice as much.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

downfall posted:

I have some Spartans that I didn't open if you want them. I was going to set up a Bricklink store to sell those and some of my old Star Wars sets after I lost my job, but I ended up finding a new job fairly quickly, so I don't really care - I'd rather sell them for cost to someone who wants them to keep them than sell them for cost on Bricklink so they end up back on Bricklink for twice as much.

Actually yeah, I'd love to have some Spartans. If you wanna make a thread in SA-mart or just hit me up on AIM we can swap info. Were they $2 each when they came out or $3?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
Speaking of trading and selling, I picked up a bunch of sets in their boxes for pretty cheap, but I'm not going to make use of any of them because I got the whole lot just to get 7476 Iron Predator vs. T-Rex

Tank treads, T-Rex and guys that look like real army dudes? Hell yes! Also for some reason it still has all its pieces in its bags. Can't believe it.

The other sets I got are:

8593 Makuta Bionicle
3420 Soccer Championship Challenge II
65182 Hockey Slammer Stadium
8420 Technic Street Bike
6740 Island Xtreme Stunts Tower
8651 Big Jumper (sealed!)
I'd be willing to get them to deserving goons who would be interested and make good use of them than just dumping them on Bricklink

E: Just noticed some pieces are poking through cracks in the boxes on some of them. I will build them first to verify integrity and then create an SA Mart link when I'm sure they're good

Is this a good arena to discuss trades and such or should I just open an SA-Mart thread?

CADPAT fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 18, 2011

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Are you in the US or europe?

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
I'm in Canada, so neither? :)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ok, but still too far away for me ;(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Anyone know if Lego is developing NXT 3.0? I'd hate to buy 2.0 and then a new one comes out shortly thereafter.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
PM'd you on the streetbike - no idea what going rate is.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

InfinEight posted:

WeThose are pretty impressive as well... also I'm jealous since you have those Spartan figs and I never got the chance to find any... also I'm too cheap to buy them now, haha.

I was looking at Bricklink myself on the price of Spartans (I want one of those and a Indian Warrior to finish my "fighters" set of minifigures), but yowsa. They are going for a ton! It also doesn't help that some people confuse and only sell the minifigure with no accessories.

Dame Cook
Aug 6, 2006

by I Ozma Myself

Paul Proteus posted:

It also doesn't help that some people confuse and only sell the minifigure with no accessories.

Thre shouldn't be any confusion. If it's listed under sets, it's complete, if it's listed under minifigures then it's just the figure. I haven't actually seen anyone miscategorise them, though I'm sure it does happen.

NavalCasity
Dec 21, 2005

Rich, creamy eggnog.

VanSandman posted:

Found this. I think its a clever use of parts to make a small but complex MOC.

From here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2950824

Wow, that gallery is a lot better than what I've been able to find previously. Plus, I don't have nearly enough patience to come up with a tachikoma model on my own. Thanks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I really like how they did the... head? of the tachikoma. Spheres are hard. Small spheres are harder!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

VanSandman posted:

Found this. I think its a clever use of parts to make a small but complex MOC.

From here: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=2950824

This is so completely sick. It always amazes me how some people manage to make stuff minifig scaled when you'd swear it was too complicated.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Colonial Air Force posted:

Anyone know if Lego is developing NXT 3.0? I'd hate to buy 2.0 and then a new one comes out shortly thereafter.

The 2.0 set is listed as Full Year for next year, so you're good through 2012, I guess.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I have a friend who works at NI who says that a next-gen Mindstorms is being developed but he doesn't know much about it (pretty secretive apparently). God I hate how that reads like a "MY UNCLE WORKS AT PIXAR" post.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

illcendiary posted:

I have a friend who works at NI who says that a next-gen Mindstorms is being developed but he doesn't know much about it (pretty secretive apparently). God I hate how that reads like a "MY UNCLE WORKS AT PIXAR" post.

I'd like to know because I doubt I could convince the museum I teach Mindstorm camps at to upgrade the sets we have right away, but you never know.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

thebushcommander posted:

Sweet lego stop motion Gears of War video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua5qh40x4KA&feature=player_embedded

I saw this in the Gears of War 3 thread and thought it was pretty cool.

CapnStubby
Jan 9, 2007

CSI: Legoland

http://youtu.be/heNxKMkYg0A

The animation on this one is professional and the brick city scape is really impressive.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

VaultAggie posted:

I saw this in the Gears of War 3 thread and thought it was pretty cool.

CapnStubby posted:

CSI: Legoland

http://youtu.be/heNxKMkYg0A

The animation on this one is professional and the brick city scape is really impressive.

These are both pretty awesome but the CSI one is definitely more impressive, and funny to boot. Thanks for sharing these!

\/\/Alright, let me know what's up when you get stuff sorted out. My zip is 84128 so you can use that to calculate shipping for however many you're willing to sell. Thanks!

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 19, 2011

downfall
Jun 23, 2005

InfinEight, I had to work over yesterday, and I have to go in early today, so I just haven't been back here to get back to you. Anyway, I know I paid $2 for some of them and $3 for some of them - it was right when all the stores were figuring out that they could charge an extra buck because they were selling so quickly. I have to find the box they're in though - I packed up a bunch of stuff recently because I just don't have room to keep everything out right now. I'll let you know ASAP!

Lord Gold
Feb 22, 2005

'STACHE
WE CAN BELIEVE IN
Posting swank brick-room pics only highlights to me how badly I need to organize this poo poo. Sadly, this is not the entirety of the collection.

Hey, out of curiosity, does anyone have a Week 1 Ninja fig from the TRU Bricktober event? I have a spare Week 3 Castle guy that I would trade.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lord Gold posted:

Again... keep wife away from this thread.

This recent castle stuff is my absolute favourite line. Nothing to flashy or fantasyish. I want it all.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Gravy Jones posted:

Again... keep wife away from this thread.

This recent castle stuff is my absolute favourite line. Nothing to flashy or fantasyish. I want it all.

My daughter is absolutely retarded for the Kingdoms line, and it doesn't help that they're studying (if you can call it that in kindergarten) castles and poo poo in school. I like them, too, they're fun to build, but sometimes daddy just wants the Farnsworth House.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007
New Kingdoms is what got me back into Lego, absolutely great.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So there's an OMG LEGO article on Yahoo right now and I thought it was pretty meh until I saw this one
http://games.yahoo.com/photos/block-shock-amazing-lego-creations-1318962855-slideshow/lego-difference-engine-photo-1318961416.html :stare:

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The Cult of Lego book is coming out soon, written by Joe Meno of Brickjournal and one of the Geekdad bloggers, and I'm excited because they used some of my photography of my Micropolis modules in the microscale section. I just found out I'm getting a copy as well, so I'll be sure to share my thoughts when it arrives.

I've had plenty of photos in magazines from my paintball days, but never in a real book so I'm pretty excited!

EDIT: Link to book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Cult-LEGO-John-Baichtal/dp/1593273916

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!

Trent posted:

So there's an OMG LEGO article on Yahoo right now and I thought it was pretty meh until I saw this one
http://games.yahoo.com/photos/block-shock-amazing-lego-creations-1318962855-slideshow/lego-difference-engine-photo-1318961416.html :stare:
That is an excellent build. If you can drop by the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA, they have a brass and steel Babbage engine that weighs a few tons.

Even more :stare: is this project, that can predict eclipses and whatnot - based on the ancient Antikythera Mechanism.
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/12/lego-antikythera-mechanism/

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
Going to a Lego event at the local science museum tonight. Hopefully will be able to build something - all my childhood stuff has been stowed away at my parents' for the last decade+

Forum Actuary
Jan 23, 2004
BRITISH
Argos in the UK seems to be doing another in-store only 3 for 2 offer, which includes quite a lot of lego, however, many of the sets like kingdoms and egypt are online only, and have to be ordered into store.

Which is fine, but the offer ends in a few days, and ordering into store also takes a few days, so I'm not sure if it will work out.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Forum Actuary posted:

Argos in the UK seems to be doing another in-store only 3 for 2 offer, which includes quite a lot of lego, however, many of the sets like kingdoms and egypt are online only, and have to be ordered into store.

Which is fine, but the offer ends in a few days, and ordering into store also takes a few days, so I'm not sure if it will work out.

Ask if you'll be allowed to take advantage of the offer if you pay in advance. Most stores tend to accept that from my experience.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Magnetic North posted:

This is so completely sick. It always amazes me how some people manage to make stuff minifig scaled when you'd swear it was too complicated.

Wow, I didn't even click the gallery but HOLY poo poo - minifigs can drive it :aaaaa:

I totally want to make one in yellow now

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Does anyone have a picture of ALL of the Lego Modular Houses set?

The ones I've seen online usually leave out one or two of them.

Market Street, Cafe Corner, Green Grocer, Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium and Pet Shop.

I just want to see what they all look like lined up.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Speaking of UK bargains the Sainsbury's yearly 50% off toys sale starts next Thursday. It's a flat 50% of all toys in store (clearing out stock for Xmas stuff). Online it's only some lines. Most only have a small selection of toys/LEGO and stuff tends to go pretty fast.

Edits: Boots also has 3 for 2 on a lot of stuff at the moment (this includes 59 different LEGO products). Everything is full RRP price though. For most stuff you're still better off with Amazon.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 20, 2011

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
I got the tripod today. Oh man this thing rules. It looks like it's going to jump at me at any moment. For a $20 set I have absolutely no complaints here. Most of the kits I put together I might (with a vehicle, for example) I might roll it around for a minute but then it's pretty much just a model. This thing though? I can't stop making it wobble around my table and shoot invisible laser beams at my dog. I just can't get over the way this thing moves.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

GidgetNomates posted:

I got the tripod today. Oh man this thing rules. It looks like it's going to jump at me at any moment. For a $20 set I have absolutely no complaints here. Most of the kits I put together I might (with a vehicle, for example) I might roll it around for a minute but then it's pretty much just a model. This thing though? I can't stop making it wobble around my table and shoot invisible laser beams at my dog. I just can't get over the way this thing moves.

That does it. Going to walmart today and grabbing one while its still $15.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
The eyeball-esque laser coming off the front rules too. I also love having this horrified businessman minifig.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Super Waffle posted:

That does it. Going to walmart today and grabbing one while its still $15.

Get two. You won't regret it.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Speaking of UK bargains the Sainsbury's yearly 50% off toys sale starts next Thursday. It's a flat 50% of all toys in store (clearing out stock for Xmas stuff). Online it's only some lines. Most only have a small selection of toys/LEGO and stuff tends to go pretty fast.

Edits: Boots also has 3 for 2 on a lot of stuff at the moment (this includes 59 different LEGO products). Everything is full RRP price though. For most stuff you're still better off with Amazon.

I actually work for Sainsbury's, and even better I work on General Merchandise, the department responsible for toys. Believe it or not a lot of lines come in for the toy sale that aren't old stock at all and you may find some things going on sale that normally aren't for sale in that store. For example, last year our Nerf range was greatly expanded with guns that have never been sold by us before and were never sold after.

A warning to those who want half price Lego: These sales are absolute carnage and reduce people to vile, despicable creatures of greed. Lego flies off the shelves faster than we can get it out and is by far the fastest selling group of products. Get there early (as soon as the store opens early) if you have particular sets you want. Restocking isn't reliable during the sale and when it's gone, it may be gone forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business
I saw these at a local BigW (Australian Walmart type store) in red, blue etc. but not black:

Does anyone have any of these, are they worth getting? I'm hoping to get a bunch to use to hold my limited ed. minifig sets.

And has anyone seen any black ones in Australia?