Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Do British people walk (forward) on the left side of the sidewalk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jxfallout
Jul 3, 2010
Apologies if this has been asked before, but what sort of advice can you all give someone starting to work third shift (10pm-6am) at his job? This is made even worse by the fact I have classes two days per week (from 2pm-5pm), which cuts into potential sleeping time.

I've only done a few days thus far, and it's been hell (even to the point where I'm attempting to stay awake while driving, not good when you have a 30-45 drive ahead of you...; thankfully, I just pull-over and sleep in my car for this).

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

jxfallout posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but what sort of advice can you all give someone starting to work third shift (10pm-6am) at his job? This is made even worse by the fact I have classes two days per week (from 2pm-5pm), which cuts into potential sleeping time.

I've only done a few days thus far, and it's been hell (even to the point where I'm attempting to stay awake while driving, not good when you have a 30-45 drive ahead of you...; thankfully, I just pull-over and sleep in my car for this).

Rhythm.

I found that staying up after work until it was "bed time" (like you would do at a 9-5) worked wonders. A closet with a source of mild noise like a "classy" radio station or a fan helps to drown out daytime noises.

The big one is rhythm though. A normal person doesn't wake up at 3AM to watch tv or go to the grocery store...or go to classes.

E: Also if you don't mind looking like a tweaker and it isn't against your rental agreement tin foil in the windows lets in zero light.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 18, 2011

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

computer parts posted:

What?

People walk in all directions on the pavement (not sidewalk). There is no side where you can only walk one way.

Do you have lanes where you live or something?!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I think he's talking about the tendency for people to walk in contained areas on the right of each other in the US, like they would drive on the streets. Escalators and the like are set up to reinforce this usually.

I didn't notice a difference in the UK, but I wasn't specifically looking out for it.

It is funny to see people get pissy about it like there is a law or something.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

computer parts posted:

Mostly, yes. I only have anecdotal evidence this is true though, from having looked for it before and seeing that escalators are positioned thus.

Driving on the left arose from walking on the left when passing someone. It may be apocryphal, but the general theory is that you want to your weapon hand on the side of a potential threat.

marshmallard posted:

What?

People walk in all directions on the pavement (not sidewalk). There is no side where you can only walk one way.

Do you have lanes where you live or something?!

I bet you get bumped into a lot.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Very Strange Things posted:

Mostly, yes. I only have anecdotal evidence this is true though, from having looked for it before and seeing that escalators are positioned thus.

No, that's not true. I can think of loads of places where the escalator on the right is the one you'd need if you walked forward to it.

What you might be thinking of is the London Underground rule that you stand on the right and walk up on the left. But there's definitely no rule about pavements or any escalators outside the Underground. I've lived here all my life and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if there were walking lanes.

Nicola
Apr 26, 2007
Hi there
How long do I have to take home food that needs to be kept in the fridge or freezer before it starts going bad?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

trandorian posted:

Has it been opened or no? If it ain't been opened it can last 5 years or more, if it's been opened, about a year, if I remember right.

People sell really old soda online that's been kept in storage for 20+ years and it's usually still drinkable as long as it stayed sealed.

For diet soda, check the use-by dates printed on the individual cans, because the sweeteners degrade relatively quickly. It won't hurt you once it's turned, but it'll go bitterer than tonic water.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

marshmallard posted:

No, that's not true. I can think of loads of places where the escalator on the right is the one you'd need if you walked forward to it.

What you might be thinking of is the London Underground rule that you stand on the right and walk up on the left. But there's definitely no rule about pavements or any escalators outside the Underground. I've lived here all my life and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if there were walking lanes.

There's no formal rule, but (in my experience in the US, at least) I've noticed that if someone is walking towards you on the same sidewalk, meaning that you're going to have to walk past them to the right or to the left, there is a pretty solid tendency for each person to shift to their own right. Likewise, if you're trying to walk past someone going slower than yourself on the sidewalk, there's a tendency to pass them on their left.

The theory is that this behavior is learned from driving behaviors, and the question is whether people would be inclined to reverse this behavior when they'd grown up driving on the opposite side of the road.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

computer parts posted:

No
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5gwn5I9U_E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BxM9rCuuMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQNC-J7qTo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ7NJlndNhE

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Let me done my top hat and cape and tell you that the correct method is for the gentleman to pass oncoming ladies on the kerbside, thus preventing her crinoline from being splashed by passing hackney carriages.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ This is the best/only answer to the walking sides question.

Nicola posted:

How long do I have to take home food that needs to be kept in the fridge or freezer before it starts going bad?

It starts going bad especially when it enters the "danger zone" (40-140 degrees Fahrenheit), ~2hours is the recommended upper limit but environment and food type is a factor. Sweet and sour pork stored in a sealed container @ ~70 degrees clean lab is going to keep a lot better than steak tartar in a paper bag at a 90 degree dump.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

How come more people don't get sink water filters? Like these : http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-FM-15A-Level-Faucet-Filter/dp/B00006WNMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318974913&sr=8-1

The initial cost is $15 + filter replacement($15) is every 2 months so that's about $15/one time+$90/year for clean water that comes from the sink. This feels like a better & cheaper alternative to getting big 6 gallon jugs of water but there must be something wrong if more people don't get sink filters right?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
I know when I lived in a place with lovely water the filter may have filtered out the impurities but the water still tasted like poo poo.

Also, most people think "hmm 15$ right now or 2$" without making the long term calculation.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Gravity Pike posted:

There's no formal rule, but (in my experience in the US, at least) I've noticed that if someone is walking towards you on the same sidewalk, meaning that you're going to have to walk past them to the right or to the left, there is a pretty solid tendency for each person to shift to their own right. Likewise, if you're trying to walk past someone going slower than yourself on the sidewalk, there's a tendency to pass them on their left.

No. When two people walk towards each other in Britain, both do this unbelievably awkward hop from left foot to right foot to left foot or vice versa, ducking and weaving to try and figure out which way to go. During this exchange both will make 'oh' 'er' 'um' noises, and then both will apologise. It's stupendously awkward and painful to endure, especially for the participants.

I wish that was satire but it's entirely true, it happens all the time.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

How come more people don't get sink water filters? Like these : http://www.amazon.com/Culligan-FM-15A-Level-Faucet-Filter/dp/B00006WNMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318974913&sr=8-1

The initial cost is $15 + filter replacement($15) is every 2 months so that's about $15/one time+$90/year for clean water that comes from the sink. This feels like a better & cheaper alternative to getting big 6 gallon jugs of water but there must be something wrong if more people don't get sink filters right?

As opposed to what? Bottled water? The water coolers you'd see in an office? I don't think I've ever seen a water cooler in a home; the only places I've seen them are places where it's inconvenient to get tap water, or in public places as a courtesy to people who might not want tap water.

Personally, I just drink the water straight from the tap. I mean, come on, it's clean!

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Gravity Pike posted:

As opposed to what? Bottled water? The water coolers you'd see in an office? I don't think I've ever seen a water cooler in a home; the only places I've seen them are places where it's inconvenient to get tap water, or in public places as a courtesy to people who might not want tap water.

Personally, I just drink the water straight from the tap. I mean, come on, it's clean!

You've never been to the southwest have you? In home water jugs/coolers are pretty common because the water is horrible.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Gravity Pike posted:

Pretty much every home I've been to(Southern California) uses a water cooler, the tap from the refrigerator, or a designated faucet for drinking water at the sink(which is next to the faucet for washing).

I drink a lot of tea and I used to boil my water from the ta but I noticed that a lot of white minerals/residue at the bottom of my kettle(which is harmless, I know). I switched over to the water cooler and noticed a crisper/better taste in my tea so theres a definite difference when it came to taste.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Limescale (the white residue, it's a form of calcium) can shorten the life of a kettle, so it's not really harmless. For you, though, it's beneficial; at least there's an old-wives tale about it protecting your teeth from cavities.
I use a water filter because I live in a block of flats, and it tastes foul otherwise.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

Its clean but theres many places where it just tastes foul.

I distinctly remember Barcelona water as tasting very heavy. The closer you got to that area the stronger it tasted. A few states in America have the same problem.

We have a filter at home that is a thing the size of a shoebox that attaches to the kitchen tap and filters the water.

Definitely makes it taste "cleaner" and fresher but our tap water is pretty decent anyway.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

jackpot posted:

Ugh, not a chance. I've tried caulking stuff before and failed miserably; the people who did this tub were skilled and knew what they were doing, if I go in there I'll just gently caress it all up.

It's caulk, the rubbery kind. I'll just try scrubbing harder. :)
Use bleach. 1:10 bleach:water. Spray it on. Wait an hour. Rinse.

Or read this for alternatives if you're worried about bleach use http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html (caulk is not very porous though, by design.)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gravity Pike posted:

A lot of smaller Taiwanese apartment buildings have water tanks up on the roof for at least some of the building's water. There was a case about five years ago now where a guy in Yonghe City got into a fight with his wife, went up on the roof, and disappeared for about a month.

His body was found floating in the tank.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

jxfallout posted:

I have been working midnight to 8am, Tuesday through Saturday (daywalkers usually consider it "Monday night to Friday night") for about five months now. Here are the biggest things I've noticed:

Get your bedroom blacked out. Blackout shades are insufficient in my experience. We had to go to painted 1/4" sheets of plywood. They make nice picture frame mounting locations.

Related: your bedroom is now for sleeping and loving, it is not for hanging out, watching TV or eating. Associate bedroom with sleepy time and it'll be easier to crash.

Watch your caffeine intake. I warm a chair and suck down java for eight hours, meanwhile my wife works almost the same shift but at a nursing home, so she is exhausted and asleep by 9am, at which time I am usually bug-eyed and scrubbing between the bathroom tiles with a dental pick.

I am an evening sleeper, I usually end up falling asleep around 4-5PM, sleeping until about 11pm. I have a 30 minute commute, give or take. Maintain your schedule through the weekend. Yes, at first it is very boring to sit through a potentially solitude-filled Saturday night. It is FAR WORSE to not be able to get a full dose of sleep coming off the weekend back into the week.

Were I doing your schedule, I'd work towards morning sleeps, probably 7-1 or 7-2. On class days you may need to catch a cat nap between class and work. There is no shame in this. Set your alarm, though.

Best upshots of graveyard: Shift diffs, 10am steak dinners and 10:30am after dinner drinks. I would be hard pressed to leave this shift right now.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 19, 2011

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
^^^ 10:30am drinks are the best drinks. I actually miss the god drat graveyard shift for that.

So I just read a good 30 page article on the federal reserve, and my head is so twisted I can't make up from down.

Any suggestions on books or tv docs that can offer a primer into the convoluted world of finance that might illuminate the creative mind of a filmmaker that's been living paycheck to paycheck with no 401k (or even loving health insurance for that matter) for twelve years? I can follow pretty well, I just don't know where to start. And to be clear, I'm not looking to become a banker, simply to grasp the basic principles that our modern financial institutions are functioning on. Anecdotal and broad descriptions are likely more than adequate; I don't need to know the intricacies of how term securities lendings work just yet.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Can anybody in the UK tell me how to convince TV licensing inspectors that I am not watching TV as it is broadcast?

My last flatmate paid for the license last year and watched TV all the time. My new flatmate and myself almost never watch TV so decided to go all the way and forgo it entirely this year. I've just sent the email to the TV Licensing people informing them that a license is not needed at this address.

So far, I have packed away the freeview box and removed the plug at the end of the old coaxial cable so that it can no longer connect to the TV.

Is this enough? I've read in the past that some people have resorted to filling the aerial sockets on the TV with epoxy to prove that it cannot be used to receive broadcasts, but this is a rented flat and it is not my TV so I don't feel comfortable permanently damaging it.

Edit: I probably ought to mention that it's been a while since the last flatmate moved out and the old license expired, so the inspectors may well be assuming that we are lovely students who are trying to dodge out of paying. The letters they were sending were addressed to the last flatmate, but are very obviously TV license related so I guess I should have opened them straight away to start this process :doh:

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 19, 2011

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ineptmule posted:

Can anybody in the UK tell me how to convince TV licensing inspectors that I am not watching TV as it is broadcast?

My last flatmate paid for the license last year and watched TV all the time. My new flatmate and myself almost never watch TV so decided to go all the way and forgo it entirely this year. I've just sent the email to the TV Licensing people informing them that a license is not needed at this address.

So far, I have packed away the freeview box and removed the plug at the end of the old coaxial cable so that it can no longer connect to the TV.

Is this enough? I've read in the past that some people have resorted to filling the aerial sockets on the TV with epoxy to prove that it cannot be used to receive broadcasts, but this is a rented flat and it is not my TV so I don't feel comfortable permanently damaging it.

Edit: I probably ought to mention that it's been a while since the last flatmate moved out and the old license expired, so the inspectors may well be assuming that we are lovely students who are trying to dodge out of paying. The letters they were sending were addressed to the last flatmate, but are very obviously TV license related so I guess I should have opened them straight away to start this process :doh:

You simply send the letter/email to them. That is all you need to do.

(really, technically, you should give the freeview box to a friend to hold, as the license is a license to own receiving equipment, but they will never search your house)

Anything they send to you after this point, you just resend them a copy of the original submission.

On the small off-chance that they send someone to your door (unlikely), you just verbally explain the situation again. They do not have the right to enter the property.

Oh, read this site: http://www.bbctvlicence.com/index.htm

Even if you were illegally watching TV, they will only ever send letters to you.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

spog posted:

You simply send the letter/email to them. That is all you need to do.

(really, technically, you should give the freeview box to a friend to hold, as the license is a license to own receiving equipment, but they will never search your house)

Anything they send to you after this point, you just resend them a copy of the original submission.

On the small off-chance that they send someone to your door (unlikely), you just verbally explain the situation again. They do not have the right to enter the property.

Oh, read this site: http://www.bbctvlicence.com/index.htm

Even if you were illegally watching TV, they will only ever send letters to you.

Hm I had actually seen that website a while ago. I guess I was really looking for a way that I could just clear it with them and not have to be receiving letters for another year. Thanks though, I'll read over that stuff again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

ineptmule posted:

Hm I had actually seen that website a while ago. I guess I was really looking for a way that I could just clear it with them and not have to be receiving letters for another year. Thanks though, I'll read over that stuff again.

This guy is deliberating baiting them by not following the process for informing them.

Friend of mine didn't have a TV in 1998-2003. He informed them once and had a couple of letters and a couple of visits. That is all. No hassle.

Just remember that the license is to own the equipment, not watch it - so technically an old, working TV in the attic requires a license. Practically, it doesn't matter.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

marshmallard posted:

No. When two people walk towards each other in Britain, both do this unbelievably awkward hop from left foot to right foot to left foot or vice versa, ducking and weaving to try and figure out which way to go. During this exchange both will make 'oh' 'er' 'um' noises, and then both will apologise. It's stupendously awkward and painful to endure, especially for the participants.

I wish that was satire but it's entirely true, it happens all the time.

We do this in the DC area too. Most of the time its so ridiculous that it is funny.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Bojanglesworth posted:

We do this in the DC area too. Most of the time its so ridiculous that it is funny.

I usually do a Barry Sanders juke or a Reggie White swim move to get by when this happens at work, which is way too often.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

What would happen if you tried to pee on the moon? Assume for the sake of argument that you have some sort of high-tech NASA cocksheath so that your penis itself is insulated from the effects of space, so you don't need to worry about anything but what the pee would do. There is a very small opening at the urethra for the urine to come out.

Would the pee freeze? Vaporize instantly? Would there be a buildup of pee ice at the urethral opening that would block further flow? Would the pee boil due to the low pressure and hurt your urethra after it comes out? Or would it get far enough away that your dickhole would be ok?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
To the list of possibilities I'd like to add the possibility of one getting turned inside out through one's dickhole.

edit: Bond villains of the future take note.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 19, 2011

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Wagonburner posted:

To the list of possibilities I'd like to add the possibility of one getting turned inside out through one's dickhole.

For the sake of argument, assume the cocksheath is sufficiently high-tech that you're safe from that.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
A cocksheath wouldn't help because where would it stop? Technically the urethra connects is a hole that leads to a very long tube in your body. It's like saying what happens if you poo poo in space? You can't do it freely without dying because the path from your butthole to mouth is open and continuous.

I could only see this happening with a futuristic two-way forcefield which we don't have yet.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dudebro posted:

A cocksheath wouldn't help because where would it stop? Technically the urethra connects is a hole that leads to a very long tube in your body. It's like saying what happens if you poo poo in space? You can't do it freely without dying because the path from your butthole to mouth is open and continuous.

Assume the various sphincters between point A and point B are strong enough to withstand the pressure differential.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

I do not know that much about computers...

Trying to figure out if this is a good deal.

HP xw4600
2.4 Ghz Core 2 quad processor
6GB DDR Memory
250GB Sata
Nvidia Quadro FX370 256MG Video
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Refurbished $264.00

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

I have been working midnight to 8am, Tuesday through Saturday (daywalkers usually consider it "Monday night to Friday night") for about five months now. Here are the biggest things I've noticed:

I worked monthly rotating shifts (the worst) for 6 years in the US Army and have been on straight 3rd shift since then working 10:30-7AM for just shy of 10 years now. Funny you use the term "daywalkers". I use that term, too, and people that have never worked third shift don't have a loving clue.

Jonny 290 posted:

Get your bedroom blacked out. Blackout shades are insufficient in my experience. We had to go to painted 1/4" sheets of plywood. They make nice picture frame mounting locations.

I'd agree with this for the most part. I use blackout shades, but instead of plywood, I just cut large sheets of cardboard to fit snugly inside the window pane. It makes it a lot easier to pull them out when you want to open the windows and air out the room. Somebody earlier in the thread suggested aluminum foil on the windows. I'm assuming they have never actually tried that because I have. Unless you are sleeping on the moon, there will be some air movement in your house and that causes that foil to move and a cacophony of "tink tink tink tink tink tink tink". Forget that idea.

Jonny 290 posted:

Related: your bedroom is now for sleeping and loving, it is not for hanging out, watching TV or eating. Associate bedroom with sleepy time and it'll be easier to crash.

Agreed 100%! If your computer or playstation is in your room, you aren't going to be sleeping worth a poo poo because your mind will be wired to think you should be doing something other than sleeping during the day. I've gotten into a routine where I make my "lunch", then pop on a movie and lay in bed watching the movie while I eat (because I am a filthy bachelor). I'm out like a light 5 minutes after the meal is finished. That's my routine. The biggest problem I have is staying asleep.

Jonny 290 posted:

I am an evening sleeper, I usually end up falling asleep around 4-5PM, sleeping until about 11pm. I have a 30 minute commute, give or take. Maintain your schedule through the weekend. Yes, at first it is very boring to sit through a potentially solitude-filled Saturday night. It is FAR WORSE to not be able to get a full dose of sleep coming off the weekend back into the week.

I'm also an evening sleeper. Not so much that I prefer to sleep in the evenings, but more that I like to keep a "normal" schedule of sleep>work>free time. Most everybody else I know that works overnights goes to sleep right after work, but that doesn't work for me. I like to wake up, hit the shower, go to work, and have a relaxing evening (from 8am-1pm or so).

Maintaining your schedule on the weekend is very good advice from a healthy point of view, but next to impossible on a social point of view. I visit my Dad every Saturday afternoon (the middle of the night for me), and then my girlfriend stays over every Saturday night, so I stay awake to spend time with her. I work Sun-Thurs nights, so I wake up around 9pm on Friday night (my usual time) and try to get back to sleep around 6am Saturday morning so I can stay awake through the day on Saturday, but 6am is the middle of the day for me, so it always ends up as a 2-3 hour nap at best. By 8pm Saturday evening, it is 7 hours past my bedtime and I am wiped out. For a daywalker, this is like going to sleep for the day at 7am. I get about 2-3 hours of sleep at best and wake up around 11pm and am up for the night. Now it is Sunday morning and I have to stay awake until 1pm or so to get back on schedule and, even if I do sleep 6-7 hours, I am barely conscious on my first night back to work. It is interesting to me how daywalkers look forward to the weekends to get some sleep, but it is the opposite for many 3rd shift workers.

Jonny 290 posted:

Were I doing your schedule, I'd work towards morning sleeps, probably 7-1 or 7-2. On class days you may need to catch a cat nap between class and work. There is no shame in this. Set your alarm, though.

Morning sleeps have never worked for me, but they work well enough for most of the people I work with. That afternoon class is going to be an rear end kicker no matter what type of sleep schedule you choose. Set your alarm, and set another one. After enough time on third shift, you lose the ability to judge whether you are going to sleep for 1 hour or 6 because you are tired all the time. Time of day loses all meaning because you eventually lose any reference of when it is "normal" to sleep. You just sleep here and there, but mostly lie awake in bed trying to sleep and sit at work wishing that you could be in bed sleeping.

Jonny 290 posted:

Best upshots of graveyard: Shift diffs, 10am steak dinners and 10:30am after dinner drinks. I would be hard pressed to leave this shift right now.

Shift differential is certainly nice. As is not having anybody around to bug you or look over your shoulder. For me, I just do my job and go home and don't deal with any phone calls or meetings or all the other interruptions that are the norm on day shift. I think the nice things are being able to go shopping after work with empty stores and no lines, not having to plan around your work schedule to do things like go to the bank or get your license renewed, and being home all day, every day, to be there when packages show up.

As much as I made it out to be that third shift is terrible, I've had several opportunities over the years to go to day shift and have turned them all down - and the extra pay was never a factor in my decision. Third shift fucks your sleep schedule up, but you get used to being tired all the time. It also fucks up your social life, but I'm at the rear end end of my 30s and no longer interested in hitting the town on the weekends. With that in mind, it's still better than day shift as long as you can deal with barking dogs, neighbors mowing their lawns, garbage trucks, roofing crews, and all that poo poo making noise in the middle of your night while you are trying to sleep.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JackRabbitStorm posted:

I do not know that much about computers...

Trying to figure out if this is a good deal.

HP xw4600
2.4 Ghz Core 2 quad processor
6GB DDR Memory
250GB Sata
Nvidia Quadro FX370 256MG Video
Wireless Keyboard/Mouse

Refurbished $264.00

Seems pretty good for the price. Most systems in that price range are refurbished eMachines with Celeron processors (I picked something out a month ago around that range). That video card is not meant for games though, so just FYI.

You can also try asking in the parts picking megathread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3371605

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

What would happen if you tried to pee on the moon? Assume for the sake of argument that you have some sort of high-tech NASA cocksheath so that your penis itself is insulated from the effects of space, so you don't need to worry about anything but what the pee would do. There is a very small opening at the urethra for the urine to come out.

Would the pee freeze? Vaporize instantly? Would there be a buildup of pee ice at the urethral opening that would block further flow? Would the pee boil due to the low pressure and hurt your urethra after it comes out? Or would it get far enough away that your dickhole would be ok?

Water will boil immediately in a vacuum. Boiling isn't actually a function of the temperature of water; it's where the vapor pressure of the water is the same as the air pressure above it. (For this reason, water will boil at slightly less than 100° C at high altitudes.) In a vacuum, where the air pressure is as close to 0 as you're likely to see, water will boil regardless of it's temperature (and ice will sublimate).