Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

pokecapn posted:

It's this combined with the fact that we want Mega Man Anything. The last game (MM10) came out in 2010, and now we're going into 2012 with nothing announced. Mega Man's 25th is in December 2012.

While it's not looking good for the series, I wouldn't say this is why. Is going a single year without a new game the end of the world? A bigger problem is that two of the games were canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

blackguy32 posted:

Im with Himuro in that I don't really care for the NES styled games at all. So I want anything but those.

It's not that I don't care about the nes style -- I loved MM9 and 10 -- it's that I tire of being the lapdog to someone else's nostalgia when all I want is a new modern side scroller Mega Man in the style of Mega Man Zero.

I was actually kind of interested in Mega Man Universe despite it looking flawed.

Momomo posted:

While it's not looking good for the series, I wouldn't say this is why. Is going a single year without a new game the end of the world? A bigger problem is that two of the games were canceled.

A single year? We haven't had a traditional side scroller Mega Man that couldn't be made on the nes since 2007. That's four years. And that game (Mega Man ZXA) wasn't very good to begin with.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 16, 2011

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hey screw you I waited 10 years for MML3, and this is what I get. :(

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Shindragon posted:

Hey screw you I waited 10 years for MML3, and this is what I get. :(

So have I!

But the thing about MML3 is that the thing screamed sketchy. The fans come up with the designs for the characters? You kidding me? I remember MML3's creative process being "let the fans vote on the stuff!" which screams highly unprofessional or even legitimate.

Then the demo footage comes out and it looks...cheap. Not even nearly on par with the standards of the other games for the system.

MML3's entire production process made little sense, even at the time, like it was a pipedream within a pipedream even if when it was slated for release. I wasn't really surprised when it was cancelled.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Momomo posted:

Is going a single year without a new game the end of the world? A bigger problem is that two of the games were canceled.

Both of those games were slated for 2012 (and either one would have been a good 25th anniversary tribute) and both got canceled, so now it looks like we're going forever without a new game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Unless Capcom gets their head out of their rear end... but they seem to run big on spite...

edit: One year with Megaman. Yeah it seems that way, but with the way Capcom handle this, it tends to exaggerate things. Bad enough they said they couldn't put X in, but put in Firebane.. (nothing against him) for MVC3, which just gave the view that they didn't care.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 17, 2011

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shindragon posted:

Bad enough they said they couldn't put X in, but put in Firebane.. (nothing against him) for MVC3, which just gave the view that they didn't care.

You mean Firebrand, but in any case, it's obvious that Capcom is trolling Megaman fans. UMvC3 has a new stage based on Days of Future Past:

Except the poster is filled with MvC2 characters who have either been slain or apprehended, except for Megaman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

You mean Firebrand, but in any case, it's obvious that Capcom is trolling Megaman fans. UMvC3 has a new stage based on Days of Future Past:

Except the poster is filled with MvC2 characters who have either been slain or apprehended, except for Megaman.

See, my theory about that is less trolling and more that in a dark future run by killer robots, Mega Man is not the dude who is going to get his rear end killed. Mega Man is right at home there.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

ImpAtom posted:

See, my theory about that is less trolling and more that in a dark future run by killer robots, Mega Man is not the dude who is going to get his rear end killed. Mega Man is right at home there.

Seriously, name a dude in the entire cast who has killed more robots than Mega Man. Zero? Tron Bonne? Oh wait :colbert:

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

You know on that note, my friend mentioned to me that it's highly possible Legends 3 was cancelled even before the prototype could get out because they just weren't confident about the product they were putting out. They may have been so ashamed of how prototype was turning out they might have just outright said forget it.

Doubtful. The one guy who actually played the prototype seemed to think it was pretty decent and we're talking about a company that had no issues with selling games like X6 or Battle Network 4.

Himuro posted:

But the thing about MML3 is that the thing screamed sketchy. The fans come up with the designs for the characters? You kidding me? I remember MML3's creative process being "let the fans vote on the stuff!" which screams highly unprofessional or even legitimate.

You do realize, right, that every single robot master in every classic series game from Mega Man 2 to Mega Man & Bass was fan-designed? The Dev Room wasn't something they did out of "laziness" or something, it was a natural evolution of a marketing strategy they've used for over 20 years.

Also how the gently caress is asking your customers for feedback unprofessional?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Doc V posted:

You do realize, right, that every single robot master in every classic series game from Mega Man 2 to Mega Man & Bass was fan-designed? The Dev Room wasn't something they did out of "laziness" or something, it was a natural evolution of a marketing strategy they've used for over 20 years.
What? No. No, they weren't. They had contests for Robot Masters ideas, yes, but they didn't do that for every character.

Doc V posted:

Also how the gently caress is asking your customers for feedback unprofessional?

They didn't want feedback, they literally wanted the community to make the game for them. They said Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled because not enough people joined the chatroom they had set up online that only a few people knew about where you were supposed to give them everything from designs of bosses to levels to plot developments.

This is a thing they thought would be a good idea and then be really snarky afterwards to the community for not participating.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

What? No. No, they weren't. They had contests for Robot Masters ideas, yes, but they didn't do that for every character.
Yes they did. That's why the end credits for all those games have a special section where all the robot masters are listed one by one along with their creators (who, unlike everyone else, are credited with their real names rather than pseudonyms). The MM8 credits even have the pictures originally submitted to Capcom, as well as a whole bunch of rejected entries.

Mordaedil posted:

They didn't want feedback, they literally wanted the community to make the game for them. They said Mega Man Legends 3 was cancelled because not enough people joined the chatroom they had set up online that only a few people knew about where you were supposed to give them everything from designs of bosses to levels to plot developments.

Untrue. The official reason given for Legends 3's cancellation was that there weren't enough registered users/ wasn't enough activity in the Dev Room. I've never heard of a chat room being involved.
As for the "We want you to make the whole game for us" thing, you're probably thinking of the CoE tweets after the cancellation (documented here). Basically some unknown CoE rep said a bunch of stupid poo poo (including the aforementioned line about wanting the fans to make the game for them), pissed of half the community and then started backpedaling. As far as I know, actual audience participation in the project was limited to the Dev Room activities ("Submit your design for <boss/npc/easter egg/whatever> and we'll put the best one in the game"/"Here's a bunch of designs, pick the one you like most").

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Doc V posted:

Yes they did. That's why the end credits for all those games have a special section where all the robot masters are listed one by one along with their creators (who, unlike everyone else, are credited with their real names rather than pseudonyms). The MM8 credits even have the pictures originally submitted to Capcom, as well as a whole bunch of rejected entries.
Some of those names are listed on certain websites as Capcom employees, and I guess if I searched their Japanese names, I'd get even more hits for that. I'm not saying they didn't use designs from outside the company, but they certainly didn't take all their robot master ideas from the community. Mega Man 6 I recall was special for having two robot masters gotten from a Nintendo Power contest.

Doc V posted:

Untrue. The official reason given for Legends 3's cancellation was that there weren't enough registered users/ wasn't enough activity in the Dev Room. I've never heard of a chat room being involved.
As for the "We want you to make the whole game for us" thing, you're probably thinking of the CoE tweets after the cancellation (documented here). Basically some unknown CoE rep said a bunch of stupid poo poo (including the aforementioned line about wanting the fans to make the game for them), pissed of half the community and then started backpedaling. As far as I know, actual audience participation in the project was limited to the Dev Room activities ("Submit your design for <boss/npc/easter egg/whatever> and we'll put the best one in the game"/"Here's a bunch of designs, pick the one you like most").
Which they still blamed on leading to the game not being made.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 17, 2011

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Some of those names are listed on certain websites as Capcom employees, and I guess if I searched their Japanese names, I'd get even more hits for that. I'm not saying they didn't use designs from outside the company, but they certainly didn't take all their robot master ideas from the community.
Would you mind giving a source on that? I checked Mobygames but none of the robot master designers for MM2-8 had any prior credits, and the only ones with later credits at Capcom were listed under special thanks for later Mega Man games, which as far as I can tell are just lists of people who participated in the design contests and had their entries rejected.
(I'll concede MM&B, though. I was under the impression that they had just recycled rejected designs from MM8, but turns out that they just hired the Rockman mangakas to do the designs for that game.v:shobon:v)

Mordaedil posted:

Yes. However, I don't consider some guy who's not actually related to the project (the Devroom was managed by CoJ and CoA) tweeting that the fanbase was supposed to make the game for them very solid evidence that that was actually the developers' intention, especially seeing as the rest of said guy's tweets from around that time are poorly thought out, to put it lightly. The official statement on the Devroom site remains "it was not felt that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project met the required criteria", whatever that may mean.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Mordaedil posted:

Some of those names are listed on certain websites as Capcom employees, and I guess if I searched their Japanese names, I'd get even more hits for that. I'm not saying they didn't use designs from outside the company, but they certainly didn't take all their robot master ideas from the community. Mega Man 6 I recall was special for having two robot masters gotten from a Nintendo Power contest.

If nothing else MM6 was special because they were from Nintendo Power, i.e. Americans, as opposed to Japanese fans.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Doc V posted:

Would you mind giving a source on that? I checked Mobygames but none of the robot master designers for MM2-8 had any prior credits, and the only ones with later credits at Capcom were listed under special thanks for later Mega Man games, which as far as I can tell are just lists of people who participated in the design contests and had their entries rejected.
(I'll concede MM&B, though. I was under the impression that they had just recycled rejected designs from MM8, but turns out that they just hired the Rockman mangakas to do the designs for that game.v:shobon:v)

Yoshihito Hattori, was one I found, but it seems he only worked on Mega Man 3 for Capcom and then moved on to other companies after that. Or possibly he got his designs used in all those five games, which doesn't seem quite likely.

You are probably right about all of the designs being rented in from outside the company with 8 at least, but I'm not at all sure how much ratio it was between original Robot Masters and Capcom contests in Japan for getting Robot Master designs for the other games. Though I did once read in an old magazine that they were completely out of ideas for Robot master designs, so you might be right, but that was after Mega Man 5, I think.

Hmm, I'm starting to doubt myself as well, at least it seems they started getting designs from outside pretty early in the series. Makes me wonder if they really hold the rights to those designs anymore.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

Yoshihito Hattori, was one I found, but it seems he only worked on Mega Man 3 for Capcom and then moved on to other companies after that. Or possibly he got his designs used in all those five games, which doesn't seem quite likely.
I googled that guy and yeah, he's definitely a professional graphic artist. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that got paid: he could have submitted a design to a contest and then later gotten employed in the industry (like, say, Hideki Kamiya). Or he could already have been a professional who just decided to enter for the hell of it. I don't know what rules the contests used but I doubt Capcom turned anyone down for being too good.

Mordaedil posted:

Hmm, I'm starting to doubt myself as well, at least it seems they started getting designs from outside pretty early in the series. Makes me wonder if they really hold the rights to those designs anymore.
The design contests started way back when they were making Mega Man 2, as mentioned by Inafune in an interview a few years ago:

Inafune posted:

"From Mega Man 2, we started accepting new boss ideas from the public. Kids would send in their boss designs, and it was my job to arrange them. I kind of got bottled up for not being able to create new designs from scratch, then I finally had the chance to do so on the Game Boy when we started to develop Mega Man in Dr. Wily's Revenge. It was a while since I could create a completely new character, and I created one called Punk."
As for rights, I assume the contest rules just included the usual "all entries become the property of Capcom and can be used and distributed as Capcom sees fit" clause that's usually present in this kind of stuff.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm probably in the minority, but I really like the sprites for MM 8. They were colorful and nicely animated. I thought MM's sprite was much nicer than the one from 7.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Azubah posted:

I'm probably in the minority, but I really like the sprites for MM 8. They were colorful and nicely animated. I thought MM's sprite was much nicer than the one from 7.
Same here, I love 8's graphics and was pleasantly surprised to see that MM&B used the same style when I first played it. I remember hoping a bit that MM9 would use the same style.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Doc V posted:

I googled that guy and yeah, he's definitely a professional graphic artist. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that got paid: he could have submitted a design to a contest and then later gotten employed in the industry (like, say, Hideki Kamiya). Or he could already have been a professional who just decided to enter for the hell of it. I don't know what rules the contests used but I doubt Capcom turned anyone down for being too good.

The design contests started way back when they were making Mega Man 2, as mentioned by Inafune in an interview a few years ago:

As for rights, I assume the contest rules just included the usual "all entries become the property of Capcom and can be used and distributed as Capcom sees fit" clause that's usually present in this kind of stuff.

I see. I wonder then, was Protoman one of their invention or a submitted entry?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Azubah posted:

That is one good thing out of 8, I did like the sprites. They felt very fluid. Probably the only game that has a teleporting animation for the classic Megaman. Bass did look a badass in his his Treble armor form.

Also I have to disagree Himuro, I actually liked that they gave input to fans of what they wanted...although. it did give us that goggle, zipper sleeve girl. At the same time over, it multiplied the reaction the fans gave when it was canceled. It felt like a middle finger was given right in front of the face.

What is your beef with 8 bit though? Or do you want another game based on modern sprites?

Personally, I felt the sprites started to lack around x5 and x6. So.. ehh.

edit: I"m sorry to butt in the other conversation. Protoman was indeed one of their very own creations. The boss designs were due to the fact of submissions (not all of them) Enemy designs weren't. Protoman was basically a modified version of Sniper Joe. They actually had a few designs. I don't know if posting images from a book is allowed, it shows the early versions of protoman.. Originally it was going to be Protoman without his helmet but Keji felt that would make him look more human than a robot.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 17, 2011

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

I see. I wonder then, was Protoman one of their invention or a submitted entry?

As far as I know, only robot masters were ever submitted through the contests, so Proto Man is an original Capcom design. This is backed up by the fact that unlike the 8 masters, Proto Man doesn't have his designer specifically listed in the credits for MM3.

Edit: yeah, what Shindragon said.

Doc V fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 17, 2011

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Doc V posted:

Yes. However, I don't consider some guy who's not actually related to the project (the Devroom was managed by CoJ and CoA) tweeting that the fanbase was supposed to make the game for them very solid evidence that that was actually the developers' intention, especially seeing as the rest of said guy's tweets from around that time are poorly thought out, to put it lightly. The official statement on the Devroom site remains "it was not felt that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project met the required criteria", whatever that may mean.

My guess is the higher ups looked at the number of people who became Servbots on Capcom-Unity, saw that it was around 20k Japan and 5k US/EU, and decided that whatever money it would take to see even just the prototype to completion (finishing translations and textures, QA, paying Nintendo to put it on the eShop, marketing, etc.) wasn't going to be worth the $50k in "guaranteed" sales.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I will never understand why they made you beat hard mode in Megaman Legends to unlock Easy mode. I remember that being one of my big accomplishments because I usually never play hard mode in games. But for some reason I powered through that and unlocked easy mode. But the hardest part for me was defending the airship easily.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

I will never understand why they made you beat hard mode in Megaman Legends to unlock Easy mode. I remember that being one of my big accomplishments because I usually never play hard mode in games. But for some reason I powered through that and unlocked easy mode. But the hardest part for me was defending the airship easily.

Because rather than including a legit "easy mode" they wanted to just make a mode where players could absolutely bulldoze the entire game effortlessly, as a sort of "gently caress-around mode" that they simply called easy mode.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Azubah posted:

I love MM8's look and music. It's a shame it's so overlooked and underappreciated.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Ka0 posted:

I love MM8's look and music. It's a shame it's so overlooked and underappreciated.
I love the animations in MM8. The only problem I have is the squeaky noises for Mega Man jumping/landing.

And yeah, the music rocks. I love Frost Man's stage music despite the horrific jetboard sections and Grenade Man's is also pretty cool. I know they replaced music for the US version but I think it all sounds kickass.

Which reminds me, I should work on beating it one day. I think I could get Aqua Man's pattern down now, but I don't want to do another jetboard section in Wily's stage :gonk:

Zeether fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 18, 2011

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Zeether posted:

I think I could get Aqua Man's pattern down now

I think you are referring to "handsome guy" :colbert:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

You played Easy, right? The game starts with something that lets you beat it in an hour and a half or so.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You played Easy, right? The game starts with something that lets you beat it in an hour and a half or so.

Yeah, I have. But at that point there really is little reason to even need the Buster Max. Also, Megaman Legends is really short regardless. I do remember that about the game. I think the sequel actually has selectable difficulty levels though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Zeether posted:

Which reminds me, I should work on beating it one day. I think I could get Aqua Man's pattern down now, but I don't want to do another jetboard section in Wily's stage :gonk:
Aqua Man gives you problems? I found him pretty easy. Definitely is if you just Astro Crush him :D.

And yeah, there's another Jetboard in Wily 1 and it sucks and is the worst part in the game. However, it's balanced by making you able to listen to the best track in the game more (I think at least), so that's okay.

Unlike Squid Adler which just sucks all around God gently caress that stage.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Aqua Man gives you problems? I found him pretty easy. Definitely is if you just Astro Crush him :D.

And yeah, there's another Jetboard in Wily 1 and it sucks and is the worst part in the game. However, it's balanced by making you able to listen to the best track in the game more (I think at least), so that's okay.

Unlike Squid Adler which just sucks all around God gently caress that stage.
I forgot Astro Man's stage is a bit tough too (the sinking tower section with those acid things that grab you)

And oh god Squid Adler/The Skiver (what was the localization team smoking when they made those names) was so horrible. X5 was my first X game (god have mercy on my soul) and I remember doing that stage and dying about 12 seconds in each time because I didn't jump or dash at the right time. The Ride Chaser section in X4 is better by comparison but not by much because it still kicked my rear end several times.

I remember hearing of the PC ports of the various X games on The Mega Man Homepage and in the first X game's PC port you can get everything including the Hadouken through simply typing "xstuf" while playing. :psyduck: Also the music sucks so bad you can barely tell it apart from the SNES version.

Also what was the point of the PSX/Saturn ports of X3 anyway? The music sounds alright but the cutscenes feel so tacked on. And they decided to go with that version on X Collection too.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I wanted my ears to bleed today. Thank you.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Zeether posted:

And oh god Squid Adler/The Skiver (what was the localization team smoking when they made those names)

We can put a name to the decision, at least.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Zeether posted:

I forgot Astro Man's stage is a bit tough too (the sinking tower section with those acid things that grab you)

And oh god Squid Adler/The Skiver (what was the localization team smoking when they made those names) was so horrible. X5 was my first X game (god have mercy on my soul) and I remember doing that stage and dying about 12 seconds in each time because I didn't jump or dash at the right time. The Ride Chaser section in X4 is better by comparison but not by much because it still kicked my rear end several times.

I remember hearing of the PC ports of the various X games on The Mega Man Homepage and in the first X game's PC port you can get everything including the Hadouken through simply typing "xstuf" while playing. :psyduck: Also the music sucks so bad you can barely tell it apart from the SNES version.

Also what was the point of the PSX/Saturn ports of X3 anyway? The music sounds alright but the cutscenes feel so tacked on. And they decided to go with that version on X Collection too.

The music from the PC version is most likely based off of your synth tables or whatever the hell they called them. I remember FF7 was like that but if you fiddled around with some, you could actually make it sound good if not better than the actual original version.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

I wanted my ears to bleed today. Thank you.

I played it on DOS before SNES and man I didn't remember it sounding like that. Maybe I had lower standards as a kid I don't know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Duff McWhalen is by far the best Maverick name ever made.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
I kinda wish Capcom would release a full classic MegaMan collection on the Ds or something with MM1-10. Have 9 and 10 be portable for the first time, would be pretty awesome.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Captain Invictus posted:

Duff McWhalen is by far the best Maverick name ever made.

:hfive: That and Mattrex are the names that allow X5 to be forgiven for so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

blackguy32 posted:

Im with Himuro in that I don't really care for the NES styled games at all. So I want anything but those.

Yeah, here here, two is enough. Time for some SNES reboots.