Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

hayden. posted:

How's the 690SMC on highways? It's the supermoto I've always looked at and will probably get one once I get supersports out of my system/go broke from tickets.

I rode one from San Fran to Santa Barbara on the 101 and it was fine. A little vibey but not too bad. Plenty of power to pass when I needed to. Obviously the wind was an issue, but I also got used to that too.

The seat however. My poor rear end.

edit: The next bike I buy will be a supermoto or a dual sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Versatility is nice, with 2 sets of wheels Gullous went to ORP one weekend, commuted on it all week, then did a hare scramble the next weekend.

Dick Cheney posted:

On any very twisty road, have a go at it on your favorite sport bike. Then, hop on a supermoto, and have another go.

The next bike you buy after that will be a supermoto.

I was faster on a DRZ SM than my old ZX6R. Roads are far from perfect, and where I would slow down on the ZX6R because the pavement got wonky I would pin the throttle on the DRZ. Sure I can't take a sweeper at 120 on a supermoto, but I wouldn't do that anyway as I don't want to wind up embedded into the side of Old MacDonalds tractor. And the KTM is to the DRZ, as my first bicycle was to my bigwheel.

Korwen posted:

The seat however. My poor rear end.

edit: The next bike I buy will be a supermoto or a dual sport.

Your rear end has to be acclimated to the 690's plank seat.

Zool fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 14, 2011

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
So my DRZ has a oil leak. And by leak I mean its pissing all over the ground when ever I'm stopped and the engine is running. I assume it does the same thing when I'm moving and the engine is running as well. It APPEARS to be leaking from the sprocket shaft, but its such a mess I can't tell. Where ever its coming from, it is certainly getting on the chain because everything on the back half of the bike is filthy.

Can the sprocket shaft seal fail suddenly? I didn't notice any leaks at all before this, but I usually coast the last half block to my house. I noticed the leak after keeping it pinned in 5th for about an hour (in a hurry on the freeway), which is something I don't usually do. It only leaks when the engine is running, and the rate of leakage seemed to drop once I got off the freeway. Was pissing when I noticed the problem, drooling when I stopped to get more oil, and I left less oil at each stop after that.

Any thoughts?

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010
Speaking of DRZ, what do ya'll think about this? Particularly, how low of a offer can I make without being offensive?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/2579205361.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

henne posted:

So my DRZ has a oil leak. And by leak I mean its pissing all over the ground when ever I'm stopped and the engine is running. I assume it does the same thing when I'm moving and the engine is running as well. It APPEARS to be leaking from the sprocket shaft, but its such a mess I can't tell. Where ever its coming from, it is certainly getting on the chain because everything on the back half of the bike is filthy.

Can the sprocket shaft seal fail suddenly? I didn't notice any leaks at all before this, but I usually coast the last half block to my house. I noticed the leak after keeping it pinned in 5th for about an hour (in a hurry on the freeway), which is something I don't usually do. It only leaks when the engine is running, and the rate of leakage seemed to drop once I got off the freeway. Was pissing when I noticed the problem, drooling when I stopped to get more oil, and I left less oil at each stop after that.

Any thoughts?

Crankshaft sprocket nut is probably loose. Otherwise, you need to pull the sprocket and replace the seal directly behind it.

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Speaking of DRZ, what do ya'll think about this? Particularly, how low of a offer can I make without being offensive?

http://neworleans.craigslist.org/mcy/2579205361.html

I bought one in similar shape (with 2k less miles) for 2k a year and a half ago. Same year, etc. I'd say offer 2k. He might lose his poo poo, but that's what it's worth out here in CA. Check blue book.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Z3n posted:

Crankshaft sprocket nut is probably loose. Otherwise, you need to pull the sprocket and replace the seal directly behind it.

Not so much loose as missing. Must have fallen off somewhere. Lost a mirror on the freeway this morning as well. Time for some loctite I guess.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

henne posted:

Not so much loose as missing. Must have fallen off somewhere. Lost a mirror on the freeway this morning as well. Time for some loctite I guess.

The wife's DRZ lost the countershaft nut on the test ride. :haw: Still bought it though!

Loctite is good, there's a big debate on the TT forums about the best type to use to prevent that thing from coming off.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

Z3n posted:

I bought one in similar shape (with 2k less miles) for 2k a year and a half ago. Same year, etc. I'd say offer 2k. He might lose his poo poo, but that's what it's worth out here in CA. Check blue book.

I'm in LA with a much smaller market but I was thinking the same thing. He's had it up for awhile but also paid a pretty penny for it originally but who knows. I'll bring 2k in 20s so it makes for a nice clump

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Does the DRZ countershaft not have a key for lock washers or similar?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

Does the DRZ countershaft not have a key for lock washers or similar?

It does but something about the design makes them bash the loving things flat. I'd considered buying a sprocket with ribs so I could lockwire the loving thing to the sprocket. They bash off once and start chewing up the threads and then it's all downhill from there.

epix
Aug 7, 2004
Not sure why I did SM on my DR650, but did get the wheels/tires/cushdrive/320mm ebc rotor kit/etc setup for an killer price

Put the same brake kit on my off-road wheels so can swap between the two in about 30 minutes.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

The wife's DRZ lost the countershaft nut on the test ride. :haw: Still bought it though!

Loctite is good, there's a big debate on the TT forums about the best type to use to prevent that thing from coming off.

Speaking of shaking things loose, the shift lever on my 690SM fell off this afternoon and I had to ride 40km home stuck in 6th - city traffic was not fun for me or the clutch. Is this something thats going to be a generic part or do they vary from model to model and I need to hunt down the specific part?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Started to clean the bike up a bit earlier. Oil is everywhere. Most of it makes sense, except for the rear axle slider on the opposite side from the chain being the nastiest. I have no idea how it would get there. It's also on the right shoulder of my jacket, which is weird. The rear tire got pretty soaked and it isn't really wiping off, so I figure its pretty well shot. I know it was leaking pretty good, but the mess is unbelievable. After finding the problem, I went through about 3 quarts in 15 miles. Stopped every 5 and dumped a new one in, and pretty sure it's dangerously empty as it stopped leaking before I got home.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009
I broke the magnetic head off the rotor bolt when putting my Vapor on. It was touching the forks so I tightened it and it just broke. The front wheel is at the machine shop now because I don't want to break the hub also.

And weather is perfect in South Texas right now.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

epix posted:

Not sure why I did SM on my DR650, but did get the wheels/tires/cushdrive/320mm ebc rotor kit/etc setup for an killer price

Put the same brake kit on my off-road wheels so can swap between the two in about 30 minutes.

Looks rad, but...

something in the perspective of this shot makes it look like a 1/10 scale model which you've put really close to the camera in order to get it to scale up to the car. Is that car massive or something (I don't know US cars).

:psyduck:

epix
Aug 7, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

Looks rad, but...

something in the perspective of this shot makes it look like a 1/10 scale model which you've put really close to the camera in order to get it to scale up to the car. Is that car massive or something (I don't know US cars).

:psyduck:

Probably a bit of both.. car in the background is actually a decent sized SUV with 22" wheels, and I was using a fairly wide-angle lens for the shot.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Would a supermoto be too much for a first bike? :ohdear:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
A DRZ would probably make for a fantastic first bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, a DRZ would be great, although would still require that care be taken with the throttle and brakes, as it is much punchier and responsive than something like a Rebel 250.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A DRZ or WR-X would both be great starter bikes as long as you're comfortable with the height. Other supermotos maybe not so much.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

My first bike was a DRZ and it was basically perfect for me to start on. I'm tall as hell though.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
I started on a Monster and bought a DRZ as my second bike after a couple years, after which the Monster started collecting dust. I loved the DRZ because it was so much more confidence-inspiring and fun to ride.

That's only tangentially relevant, but I guess what I'm trying to say is yes, it's a good beginner bike.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Endless Mike posted:

A DRZ or WR-X would both be great starter bikes as long as you're comfortable with the height. Other supermotos maybe not so much.

Speaking of height, how well can a DRZ be operated by a short guy? I'm 5'8" with short legs, about a 30" inseam, and I want one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Speaking of height, how well can a DRZ be operated by a short guy? I'm 5'8" with short legs, about a 30" inseam, and I want one.

My wife rode one without many issues...she's 5'6 with around the same inseam.

The advantage is if you're a bit of a bigger dude you'll get a couple inches of suspension sag so that tall seat height becomes much more manageable. It's also a very narrow seat, so that helps too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I have a 32" inseam and it sags enough for me to flatfoot it. I'm a lardass, though, so that helps. (For certain definitions of helps.) Worst case scenario, you may have slide off a bit to get a foot down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you're the lightest, shortest guy on earth you can still get lowering dogbones and a shaved seat, and it should be fine for all but the littlest of little people.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

My wife rode one without many issues...she's 5'6 with around the same inseam.

The advantage is if you're a bit of a bigger dude you'll get a couple inches of suspension sag so that tall seat height becomes much more manageable. It's also a very narrow seat, so that helps too.

Or if you're fat like me, you get an extra 6 inches of sag in a KLR such as MotoMind's :)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Phat_Albert posted:

If you're the lightest, shortest guy on earth you can still get lowering dogbones and a shaved seat, and it should be fine for all but the littlest of little people.

Yeah, I weigh 160 pounds. Sag won't be so easy to come across.

I think my current scooter has a ~32.5" seat height, with a moderately wide seat, and I slide off a little to flatfoot on one side. It looks like the seat height of the DRZ is 35", and probably would sag more than my scooter, so maybe that + lowering links + sliding the forks down in the triples would be adequate?

I'm not currently on the market or anything, so thank you for taking the time to discuss a pipe dream.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

You'll be fine, I'm 5'6, 28" inseam and pretty light but I did fine. Might not be able to flatfoot but that isn't a huge deal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

There's not a whole lot of seat on a DRZ to shave.

...I need a new seat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It begins. Ye Olde Banditte is up on the internet for trade, straight up for a DRZ-SM. Anyone in the Milwaukee/Chicagoland area know of someone looking for a lightly modified musclebike in trade for their DRZSM?

EDIT: Longshot, but http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3119867&pagenumber=22#post396694741

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 18, 2011

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

5'9", 230# (and falling! Go Go Gadget Paleo Diet!), 30" inseam, and the DRZ is just about perfect once I'm on it. The seat and bodywork is so narrow that I don't think you'll have an issue even without my 70 extra pounds. =)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 18, 2011

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Is there a resource that compares the maintenance requirements and costs of various Sumo bikes? I'm used to my Ninja 250's needs (recently rendered inoperable) and was wondering how much more intensive the upkeep would be for a sumo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Resource posted:

Is there a resource that compares the maintenance requirements and costs of various Sumo bikes? I'm used to my Ninja 250's needs (recently rendered inoperable) and was wondering how much more intensive the upkeep would be for a sumo.

DRZ400SM is the only real cheap option. 15k valve adjustments, 3k oil changes. KTM 690 SMC is the other, more expensive option...$60, 3k oil changes (if you DIY), 6k valves (adjustment typically needed every 12k).

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Z3n posted:

DRZ400SM is the only real cheap option. 15k valve adjustments, 3k oil changes. KTM 690 SMC is the other, more expensive option...$60, 3k oil changes (if you DIY), 6k valves (adjustment typically needed every 12k).

The start up cost for a 690 is something like two or three times a DRZ SM too right? I think 10k for another bike is probably too much right now. I would be doing all my own work, I guess DRZ parts/consumables would be a lot cheaper than the KTM's too.

ARe there any unique risks or things to look out for when buying a used DRZ compared to buying a typical 600 sportbike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Resource posted:

The start up cost for a 690 is something like two or three times a DRZ SM too right? I think 10k for another bike is probably too much right now. I would be doing all my own work, I guess DRZ parts/consumables would be a lot cheaper than the KTM's too.

ARe there any unique risks or things to look out for when buying a used DRZ compared to buying a typical 600 sportbike?

There's a couple of minor gotchas that are detailed on ThumperTalk, but overall the entire bike is pretty reliable.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Cool, I'll check it out, much appreciated.

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I'm about this and started with a DRZ. I could get both toes down but it wasn't very stable. A low cut seat and some decent boots were all I needed to be perfectly comfortable. It's still an awesome spot to be in; if nothing else it teaches you to get your feet up on the pegs quickly and to plan your stops.

My early falls came from stopping in a weird spot or two and being unbalanced. The DRZ was unfazed. I had a laugh, picked it up and kept going.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This sounds perfect for a sumo-conversion: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct1811-ktm-unveils-freeride-350/

99kg? Yes please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This sounds perfect for a sumo-conversion: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2011/October/oct1811-ktm-unveils-freeride-350/

99kg? Yes please!

Not sure how I'd go with a bike that weighed less than me.

• Locked thread