Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Tyrion was cool just the way he was.
Yeah, and learning the true about his wife then killing his father and Shae and going into exile after losing everything he managed to build in King's Landing shouldn't have any impact, right? I know A Storm of Swords was published in 2000 but Tyrion didn't get 10 years to grief his losses between his chapters. And honestly by the end of ADWD, he is back into the game, planning to gently caress the slavers with the help of the Second Sons.

vvvv reread brienne's chapter at the silent island, with the gravedigger.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I don't remember the last book very well since I havnt read it since 2006 but ... Sandor isn't dead? Did I miss something really obvious there?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Elindale posted:

I don't remember the last book very well since I havnt read it since 2006 but ... Sandor isn't dead? Did I miss something really obvious there?

He's the gravedigger Brienne sees at that monastery. She even mentions seeing his bigass warhorse in the stable. The one that bites anyone who tries to do anything with him but Sandor. Yeah.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 19, 2011

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Elindale posted:

The wandering Septon (broken man speech) told Brienne and Pod that he found the Hound in the woods and buried him, though this could be figurative and Sandor may very well be at a monastery. I don't know the exact passage, but it's left Gurm-open for him to still be alive.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Elindale posted:

Its implied that he's one of the novices Brienne sees on the quiet isle, and the elder confirms this when he says something to the effect of "the Hound is dead but Sandor is at peace".

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kekekela posted:

Tyrion's chapters weren't that bad other than the "where do whores go" bullshit. And everything after Mormont kidnapping him being horrible and boring. And Penny being as bad as a Brienne chapter.

Which leaves? Oh yeah, Riding along with a fat guy from Pentos for a slew of pages, having every mouthful of food and drink described in detail.

I take it back. It was just as cool as him taking over Kings Landing, being in major battles, losing his nose, strangling his ex-whore, shooting his father in the poo-maker, and finding out after a couple decades that his brother betrayed him. But he rode inside a barrel for a while. That's worth a few belly laughs.

Toplowtech posted:

Yeah, and learning the true about his wife then killing his father and Shae and going into exile after losing everything he managed to build in King's Landing shouldn't have any impact, right? I know A Storm of Swords was published in 2000 but Tyrion didn't get 10 years to grief his losses between his chapters. And honestly by the end of ADWD, he is back into the game, planning to gently caress the slavers with the help of the Second Sons.

vvvv reread brienne's chapter at the silent island, with the gravedigger.

What are you going on about? I honestly have no idea what point you are trying to make or argument you are attempting to form.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 19, 2011

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

Which leaves?

Yeah, that was kind of the point. There be sarcasm in this thread.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Kekekela posted:

Yeah, that was kind of the point. There be sarcasm in this thread.

oh.

gently caress. :(

Well, you can cut me some slack, when there are posts by Toplowtech and others that are void of sarcasm. I get confused.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 19, 2011

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

In a way, ADWD is rather poetic.

Before it came out, the bad thread was bad because ADWD would not come out, and then after 3 months of purgatory while how bad the book was really sunk in, the bad thread was reborn from the tear-soaked ashes of thousands of nerds' enjoyment of the series, a rancid poo poo covered phoenix, if you will.

Except the book isn't bad, so I think it's stemmed mostly from boredom and/or the next 6 year wait.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Kekekela posted:

Its implied that he's one of the novices Brienne sees on the quiet isle, and the elder confirms this when he says something to the effect of "the Hound is dead but Sandor is at peace".

Sandor's story is really exciting. I wonder if he will ever get his chance at retribution against his brother. I always thought that Gurm really artfully tied these two characters together: The Hound, wounded by his brother, believes that knighthood is bullshit, and that the shining armor and high-minded chivalry simply conceal the hypocrisy and child-murdering aspects of a medieval soldier; Sandor believes all this while simultaneously performing similar atrocities for Joffrey and others. Gregor is the perfect expression of this in life, given his knighthood and terrible crimes against the former royal family. After Qyburn's frankenstein work, the Mountain is now the full realization of this: a giant, silver-armored knight of the Kingsguard, with his white armor concealing the terrible rotting monster beneath. I can't wait to see what this transformation has done to Sandor.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mikey triumph posted:

but it's left Gurm-open for him to still be alive.

I want nothing less than Hound and Syrio buddy team in the next book.

Edit: I'd add Stannis to the list of "gee, I wonder if he's actually dead". I expected to read about him actually being killed, not simply read about by Jon from Ramsay.

If he is dead, it's stupid.
If he's not dead, it's more stupid.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 19, 2011

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

I want nothing less than Hound and Syrio buddy team in the next book.

Edit: I'd add Stannis to the list of "gee, I wonder if he's actually dead". I expected to read about him actually being killed, not simply read about by Jon from Ramsay.

If he is dead, it's stupid.
If he's not dead, it's more stupid.

Reformed Hound/Syrio would be rad. I would have no problem with an adrift Syrio dropping in on the monastery and those two violently bromancing the entire continent with rear end-kickery. They could start with the Freys.

Really doubtful that much of any of Ramsay's "bastard"-punctuated letter is anything but a bluff, escpecially since we know anything involving Theon or Jeyne in the letter is a lie. I don't want Stannis to be dead yet because I want Gurm to describe to me in detail the terrible thing that happens to douche-bag Stannis.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except the book isn't bad

Just wait until you get to AFFC and ADWD then!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Even Strong Belwas got better.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Except the book isn't bad, so I think it's stemmed mostly from boredom and/or the next 6 year wait.

I hope it isn't 6 years. Gurm's publisher needs to send a personal trainer down to New Mexico and make the fat man lay off the pizza Bagel Bites. If this guy pulls a Geoffrey Chaucer on us I'm going to write the last two books myself.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mikey triumph posted:

I hope it isn't 6 years. Gurm's publisher needs to send a personal trainer down to New Mexico and make the fat man lay off the pizza Bagel Bites. If this guy pulls a Geoffrey Chaucer on us I'm going to write the last two books myself.

6 years? More like 11 for a complete book. AFFC was just part one of that shitheap. And nothing happened.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

6 years? More like 11 for a complete book. AFFC was just part one of that shitheap. And nothing happened.

WILDCARDS! happened.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

Things happened, in addition to Wildcards. This book gave an account of the important developments of Westoros while the other major players in the foreign lands coalesced. I especially liked Sansa and Petyr's rise to power in the Vale. This was a very unorthodox path to official power, and I liked how the power play between Petyr and Lyn Corbray shakes the foundation of the entire primogeniture-style system the Westorosi use. Minus the pedantic bullshit, Lysa getting tossed out of a window was loving awesome and worth 700 pages.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I think Littlefinger is the only character to progress his status throughout the entire series, another reason why he loving owns.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
George R R Martin: Chaucer of Digital Age

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

bigmcgaffney posted:

George R R Martin: Chaucer of Digital Age

I seriously doubt that 500 years from now, high school students will be forced to read "A Game of Thrones" in English class. If they do, rape will be a part of the oral anal practical exam.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Just wait until you get to AFFC and ADWD then!

So... the book isn't bad. Good to know.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

I think Littlefinger is the only character to progress his status throughout the entire series, another reason why he loving owns.

Bronn would like a word. He went from a poo poo-kicker mercenary to a landed knight and legitimate noble, and all it took was a major siege. Bronn is the only character that made the jump from "small folk" to somebody that Cercei might gently caress for political intrigue that I can recall from the series. That being said, Littlefinger is definitely making strides and is a pretty interesting character. The worst part about ADWD for me was not getting to find out what Petyr and Sansa are getting up to in the Vale (probably loving poo poo up for "The Man" and challenging establishment Gurm-style)

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mikey triumph posted:

Bronn would like a word. He went from a poo poo-kicker mercenary to a landed knight and legitimate noble, and all it took was a major siege. Bronn is the only character that made the jump from "small folk" to somebody that Cercei might gently caress for political intrigue that I can recall from the series.

Aaaaaaaaaaaand then he pretty much retired from the story for all intents and purposes.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Simon Draskovic posted:

I seriously doubt that 500 years from now, high school students will be forced to read "A Game of Thrones" in English class. If they do, rape will be a part of the oral anal practical exam.

Not GOT, they will make students only read AFFC because it shows the effects of war on the smallfolk so goddamn well. Its on the level with Hemingway.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaand then he pretty much retired from the story for all intents and purposes.

No way. We haven't seen the last of Bronn. Not even Gurm would disregard a man of such pimp-status as the Lord of Stokeworth. Dude wins Trials-by-Combat like he's renewing his driver's license.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mikey triumph posted:

Things happened, in addition to Wildcards. This book gave an account of the important developments of Westoros while the other major players in the foreign lands coalesced. I especially liked Sansa and Petyr's rise to power in the Vale. This was a very unorthodox path to official power, and I liked how the power play between Petyr and Lyn Corbray shakes the foundation of the entire primogeniture-style system the Westorosi use. Minus the pedantic bullshit, Lysa getting tossed out of a window was loving awesome and worth 700 pages.

That was ASOS.

Azure_Horizon posted:

So... the book isn't bad. Good to know.

That was also ASOS.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

That was ASOS.

That was also ASOS.

Nope, I'm pretty sure it was AFFC/ADWD. This is getting amusing.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

IRQ posted:

That was ASOS.

Fair enough; Lysa's death was in ASOS but a lot of the Sansa/Petyr/Robert Arryn exposition happened in AFFC, including every scene with Lyn Corbray. I can't hate the book no matter how much people tell me I should, it contained a lot of the necessary legwork you need to do to flesh out a world of Gurmy ambition. I mean the 4-5 (sometimes 6th) book of any series like this is usually lackluster because the Gurmster in question is setting up for the awesome finale! At this point you just have to have faith and foolishly believe the fat man won't keel over tomorrow (which he will).

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mikey triumph posted:

No way. We haven't seen the last of Bronn. Not even Gurm would disregard a man of such pimp-status as the Lord of Stokeworth.

Unless you count deaths as "disregard". Drogo and Ned would like a word.

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's almost as if you are trying to convince yourself, Azure_Horizon.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

Fog Tripper posted:

Drogo and Ned weren't the same as Bronn. Drogo was a naturally virile badass, but you should know by now that Gurm is kind of biased against those, and he was always doomed to be a painful memory. Ned was an honorable quarterback family man who was born into it but will not win (Favre). Bronn was none of this. He was just a complete underdog poor dude with some swagger, and that's the kind of poo poo McGurmerson always favors. Ned and Drogo are dead as lamprey pie but Bronn will be appointed Court Prom King when Ramsay has the Iron Throne.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

It's almost as if you are trying to convince yourself, Azure_Horizon.

Nope. It's more like I find the irrational hatred for AFFC/ADWD to be unwarranted.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bigmcgaffney posted:

And there were 7 hot virgins. Little Vicky owns bones.

It wouldn't be a sacrifice to two gods otherwise :colbert:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It's not like Charles Dickens was any less of a hack.

Ruffhauzer
Oct 16, 2011

geeves posted:

An interesting aspect of the Drowned God theology is the plurality its followers embrace. Aeron Damphair acknowledges multiple gods while giving sole fealty to only one. Victarion follows suit, by staying true to his Drowned God faith while simultaneously acknowledging the existence of the totalitarian mono-god R'hllor, even making human sacrifices to it! Given his past (former wife, murdered only because of Euron), Victarion might be a person inclined toward monogamy, all which would explain the apparent dissonance in his sacrifice of the virgins.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

So you like terrible books?

Might I recommend the Sword of Truth series?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Nope. It's more like I find the irrational hatred for AFFC/ADWD to be unwarranted.

It's okay to like bad books, I myself enjoyed Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

YES bread posted:

I love old Ray Feist books, despite every single one of them being garbage.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

YES bread posted:

I really enjoyed anything by Abercrombie, Bakker, or Erikson. It IS okay to love bad novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

geeves posted:

Three gods. :smug: