Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Don't they have like video communication too?
Red Leader crashed because he was watching Luke nod on his dashboard monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

thrawn527 posted:

You know, that's how hosed up Star Wars is now. I assumed you were telling the truth, and that the article really was there, until I saw Pesky Splinter's post saying you were joking. This is what Star Wars EU has done to me.

Yeah, I get my kicks out of making up random poo poo to sound like an actual EU article on Wookiepedia.

The scary thing is that it is so easy to just mash together random poo poo to sound "plausible" enough to make someone nod and just agree without seeing for themselves I posted a blind link.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

LLJKSiLk posted:

The scary thing is that it is so easy to just mash together random poo poo to sound "plausible" enough to make someone nod

And if we were in the Star Wars universe, you'd know we nodded.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Powered Descent posted:

And if we were in the Star Wars universe, you'd know we nodded.

And then I would crash. :v:

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Payndz posted:

Texting. mak ur atak run kthnx

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Payndz posted:

Red Leader crashed because he was so completely shocked when he realized that he was flying for the first time in years without listening to that horrible wet wheezing of Porkins.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Force nod.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Force nod.

Light side only power, trained at level 2, costs 1 Force to activate, instant cast.

Can also be cast by waving your hand and yelling "expelliarmus"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 18, 2011

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mister Roboto posted:

Magnoliafan: Editor who REALLY likes details. Changes Jar Jar and all the alien dialogue to a different language so they have darker dialogue in subtitles instead. Likes making in-jokes for fans with edits, like changing Dooku's saber yellow. Not the best writer, but at least tries. Also has a weird sense of humor.
Wait, what's the in-joke with Dooku's lightsaber color?

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Hazo posted:

Wait, what's the in-joke with Dooku's lightsaber color?

I think that its more that Dooku was never truly "sith" he just did not agree with the Jedi. Palpatine manipulated him as much as every one else.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Darth Freddy posted:

I think that its more that Dooku was never truly "sith" he just did not agree with the Jedi. Palpatine manipulated him as much as every one else.

I think it's more that early Luke toys had him use a yellow saber for some reason. So it's a REALLY really nerdy in-joke.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 19, 2011

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I decided to browse the TFN forums because I was bored. One of the lead Mandalorian defenders is posting about how he's refusing to read any new book that has a woman as the main character, and is of course getting super defensive and aggressive at everyone calling him an idiot for it. And for the record this is the same brave Fandalorian who in the past has defended fascism, said that the Catholic Inquisition did nothing wrong and upheld civilization, insisted that Tenel Ka asking Jacen to spend the night in Dark Nest absolutely did not refer to sex, and even turned away from his idol Traviss because of the one actually decent thing she did, include a gay couple in one of her books.

God bless you, Mandalorians everywhere.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Mandalorians = Space Catholics

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fett's emergence from the sarlacc = Christ's resurrection

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

...insisted that Tenel Ka asking Jacen to spend the night in Dark Nest absolutely did not refer to sex...

Oh, speaking of the Killiks, they've almost completely turned me off playing SWTOR past a certain point. I won't go into detail because of spoilers and NDA breakage, but KILLIKS :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

Oh, speaking of the Killiks, they've almost completely turned me off playing SWTOR past a certain point. I won't go into detail because of spoilers and NDA breakage, but KILLIKS :argh:

You are making GBS threads me. They're in TOR? :suicide:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Well, if it's any consolation, you do kill a lot of them. :flame:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I decided to browse the TFN forums because I was bored. One of the lead Mandalorian defenders is posting about how he's refusing to read any new book that has a woman as the main character, and is of course getting super defensive and aggressive at everyone calling him an idiot for it. And for the record this is the same brave Fandalorian who in the past has defended fascism, said that the Catholic Inquisition did nothing wrong and upheld civilization, insisted that Tenel Ka asking Jacen to spend the night in Dark Nest absolutely did not refer to sex, and even turned away from his idol Traviss because of the one actually decent thing she did, include a gay couple in one of her books.

God bless you, Mandalorians everywhere.

The Mandalorians seems to attract the really nutjob fanboys/fangirls, especially of the highly-religious variety :iiam:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

movax posted:

The Mandalorians seems to attract the really nutjob fanboys/fangirls, especially of the highly-religious variety :iiam:

Well...let's take a look at the way they've been stereotyped in the EU.

-Patriarchal, EXTREMELY so when done by Traviss. Fathers and sons become a cornerstone in the culture.
-Against casual sex, or at least Boba Fett would have us believe.
-Willing to use violence to preserve their culture.
-Follow the "Six Actions", a set of behavioral codes that must be followed.
-Literally called The Crusaders on a holy war.
-Nomadic but preserve their old ways by imposing them whenever they invade a new planet.

Let's just be honest, all the big three religions of today are guilty of all of those to some degree.

It resonates with those who are religious. I'm not even being insulting, they may not even realize it, but it strikes a chord, deep inside, of how they feel about their religion and what they'd LIKE it to be.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

When you put it like that, Roboto, it kind of explains why there was that weird vein of overlap between theforce.net posters and fanatical Christians.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Nessus posted:

When you put it like that, Roboto, it kind of explains why there was that weird vein of overlap between theforce.net posters and fanatical Christians.

I think that's more to do with the extremely simplistic white/black good/evil that Star Wars is all about.

-Bad guys are ALL evil to the bone, dress in black and look like ugly demons, Maul being the pinnacle. And their names are INSIDIOUS, INVADERS, TYRANTS and PLAGUES. Oh, and Grieve.

-Good guys are monks dressed in relatively benign light colored robes. Many have wise old beards.

-There's no sex.

-Being a martyr and the sacrifice redeeming oneself is the overall arc.

Pretty much Christianity's basic tenets right there. Again, not trying to bash religion, but it really is just that: X is good, Y is bad, no shades of grey.

That's Star Wars storytelling.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 19, 2011

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

This makes Luke's character arc in the EU materials strongly resemble the prophet Muhammad. (Well, except for his period of serving the Devil I guess.) Has sex with a hot redhead, creates a new order, etc.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
At one point didn't Lucas say that "no attachments" didn't necessarily mean no sex?

Way of the Jedi:

Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the Dark Side.

The Force must only be used in defense or the pursuit of knowledge. Never to attack.

Hit it and quit it.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Razorwired posted:

At one point didn't Lucas say that "no attachments" didn't necessarily mean no sex?

Yes, that's right, but in the movies, there's literally nothing sexual besides a few chaste kisses.

Lucas knew that this was the way to get it as widespread as possible throughout all the cultures in the world and their taboos about sexuality.

I 100% guarantee Star Wars would NOT be as popular as it is right now if, say, Han and Leia had a sex scene while on the Falcon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mister Roboto posted:

Pretty much Christianity's basic tenets right there. Again, not trying to bash religion, but it really is just that: X is good, Y is bad, no shades of grey.

From my superficial impression of the EU I got a different impression. The Original Trilogy is as black and white as they come, but I thought that one fundamental (heh) flaw of the EU was that it introduced lots and lots of shades of gray to the franchise?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mister Roboto posted:

I think that's more to do with the extremely simplistic white/black good/evil that Star Wars is all about.

-Bad guys are ALL evil to the bone, dress in black and look like ugly demons, Maul being the pinnacle. And their names are INSIDIOUS, INVADERS, TYRANTS and PLAGUES. Oh, and Grieve.

-Good guys are monks dressed in relatively benign light colored robes. Many have wise old beards.

-There's no sex.

And, y'know, a fuckin' virgin birth and everything.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

-There's no sex.

Please do not confuse archetypal themes and characters with religion. It is coincidental, pointless and a shallow argument.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
How does the the whole "fishes and loaves" miracle fit in?

Its not like one minute there was ONE copy of the death star plan and then... oh.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
So, exactly what's the reason that Luke/Han/Leia/etc. can't be killed off in the EU novels? Who enforces that rule? I thought Lucas didn't care about that kind of thing as long as he still made money.

Anyway the reason I ask is, why not have a book in which "Luke dies!!", but then another book brings him back a few years later? Seems like a great way to get around that edict. You could even get press coverage out of an event like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

qntm posted:

So, exactly what's the reason that Luke/Han/Leia/etc. can't be killed off in the EU novels? Who enforces that rule? I thought Lucas didn't care about that kind of thing as long as he still made money.

Anyway the reason I ask is, why not have a book in which "Luke dies!!", but then another book brings him back a few years later? Seems like a great way to get around that edict. You could even get press coverage out of an event like that.

Lucas personally may not care but he pays people to care for him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Luke dies, then is revived as a sneering cynical head in a jar.

Star Wars creepily sounds like it could become some weird religion if an Apocalypse happens and current civilization is wiped out and remnants of humanity comes across hoardes of Star Wars merch in dead fans homes and assume these are holy shrines.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Luke dies, then is revived as a sneering cynical head in a jar.

Star Wars creepily sounds like it could become some weird religion if an Apocalypse happens and current civilization is wiped out and remnants of humanity comes across hoardes of Star Wars merch in dead fans homes and assume these are holy shrines.

I'd be far more worried about the post apocalyptic survivors finding the ruins of an Otaku house.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'd be far more worried about the post apocalyptic survivors finding the ruins of an Otaku house.

The holy wars of the 22nd century are going to be just hilarious.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Grendels Dad posted:

From my superficial impression of the EU I got a different impression. The Original Trilogy is as black and white as they come, but I thought that one fundamental (heh) flaw of the EU was that it introduced lots and lots of shades of gray to the franchise?

Well, yeah, the EU just runs everywhere, but I was just talking about the Star Wars fanbase as a whole, which is centrally from the movies. You really can't get more simplistic than the bad guys literally using The Dark Evil Side vs The Light Good Side.

Cold Day posted:

Please do not confuse archetypal themes and characters with religion. It is coincidental, pointless and a shallow argument.

Sorry if it bothers you, but it's not a coincidence. It's very obvious that the two crowds overlap with the ideologies that X is bad and Y is good with very little shades of grey.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Sorry if it bothers you, but it's not a coincidence. It's very obvious that the two crowds overlap with the ideologies that X is bad and Y is good with very little shades of grey.

No, that was a great post and I think you're absolutely correct. Puts my ex's love for Star Wars into perspective now that I look it at this way.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

movax posted:

No, that was a great post and I think you're absolutely correct. Puts my ex's love for Star Wars into perspective now that I look it at this way.

Is there anything akin to star treks "no interference" (regarding worlds that havn't discovered warp technology) policy in the star wars universe? I've never read about any new planets that didn't have hyper-drive being discovered, but I havn't read many of the EU books. What are the rules governing that situation?

For the record I think the rules are ridiculous in either universe. Or ours for that matter.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, the Ewoks are an example of a primitive society, and the Rebels didn't seem too concerned at cultural contamination there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, the Ewoks are an example of a primitive society, and the Rebels didn't seem too concerned at cultural contamination there.

Well, there sure is contamination there now!

Of irradiated DS2 bits.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, there sure is contamination there now!

Of irradiated DS2 bits.

Nope, most of the Death Star got sucked into a mysterious hole in hyperspace and was spread evenly across the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

ZeeToo posted:

Nope, most of the Death Star got sucked into a mysterious hole in hyperspace and was spread evenly across the galaxy.

gently caress me, I shouldn't have doubted that bit of information.

Wookieepedia posted:

The explosion of the station's hypermatter core created a minor wormhole at its collapse. Some of the station's wreckage would pass through said wormhole, including Darth Vader's right glove. While some debris ended up on Mon Calamari, it is believed that more was dispersed throughout the galaxy. The wreckage that did not enter the wormhole presumably remained in Endor's orbit or fell to the moon's surface.

:suicide: