Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

iastudent posted:

I caved in at the last minute of the sale and picked up Blood, Outcast and The Witcher, all for $11.

This must be like how people in the Steam thread feel about their backlog. :negative:

I was hoping to not spend any more money on games this week since I spent $30 on a copy of Wacky Races for the NES two days ago. But $3 for Blood, the first three Alone in the Dark games, and Total Annihilation? I can't pass that up!

My...my money... :smith:

I also find it comical that I spend more money on old console games than I ever will on old PC games for some reason, not because I buy more console than PC games, but because PC games are so much cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've been away from GOG for a while and I come back to see they have Darklands!!! I'm disappointed it's not the CD version but good grief, this game is the kind of complex RPGs they don't make anymore. It's a shame Microprose never got around to expanding into Persia and the other areas they planned on doing.

WOLF KIDULT MAN
Jun 13, 2008
Is IW2 not compatible with Windows 7 at all? The sale seems to be running a bit late and it's tempting me to grab something I have no need for and barely have time to play to add onto my backlog, but you know, three dollars. Three dollars!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

al-azad posted:

I've been away from GOG for a while and I come back to see they have Darklands!!! I'm disappointed it's not the CD version but good grief, this game is the kind of complex RPGs they don't make anymore. It's a shame Microprose never got around to expanding into Persia and the other areas they planned on doing.

Agreed, I was super bummed the game didn't sell well enough to spawn the sequels.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mordaedil posted:

Between GoG and Steam I have over 450 unfinished games. Kill me. :downs:
We have close to the same amount of unfinished games :hfive:

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Starhawk64 posted:

Welcome to the club. I have games I bought MONTHS ago that I haven't even touched yet. And yet I keep buying them. :v:

Months? Heh. Wait until you have games sitting on your backlog untouched years after you bought them :smug:

:smithicide:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Hit a rough spot in Darklands. I infiltrated the witches' sabbat and I can take down the demon they summon without fuss. It's afterwards when the rest of them and their leader attack. I've tried sending someone to try to attack their leader but they just crowd me in while their leader attacks my entire party with AoE spells.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
New game "Broken Sword 4"
http://www.gog.com/en/news/new_release_broken_sword_4_the_angel_of_death

Also the Broken Sword Trilogy is 50% off

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

doctorfrog posted:

I broke down and got Alone in the Dark, and I know I'm not going to play more than five minutes after the nostalgia from having played the demo for five minutes fifteen years ago dissipates.

:negative:

It's short enough that you can beat it in an afternoon with breaks, so I'd recommend just getting through the initial shock of the controls and interface and beat it. It's really satisfying in a way that's hard to describe, but the sequels definitely don't capture.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

iastudent posted:

Hit a rough spot in Darklands.
You could try hitting the big bad guy with one of those potions that stop the target from moving, kite away the other enemies and deal with them and then attack the guy?
Another thing is that you might try praying: there's probably a Saint that could help you against magic. Unfortunately the last time I played Darklands was eons ago, and I barely remember the game, so I can't be of much help.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

radintorov posted:

You could try hitting the big bad guy with one of those potions that stop the target from moving, kite away the other enemies and deal with them and then attack the guy?
Another thing is that you might try praying: there's probably a Saint that could help you against magic. Unfortunately the last time I played Darklands was eons ago, and I barely remember the game, so I can't be of much help.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need some alchemy and/or saint help for this one. The problem with those is that so far getting alchemy built up is a pain. The highest alchemy stat in my party is 18 and 90% of the time I stop in an alchemists' guild for training or to get new recipes, they get pissy and throw me out for several days.

With saints, my main religious guy has a stat of 30 and only two saints that respond to him; one that increases fire resistance and the other that increases edged/thrown weapon skill. I guess I could give the second one a try and see if that helps to take down the witches faster.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Anyone with feedback on Broken Sword 4? I got the first 3 from GOG and was happy with them, but haven't heard much about this one.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I gave darklands a quick try, and had a few issues.
First dumb question.. how do I get doxbox running at a good higher resolution on my screen, but not fullscreen (windowed fullscreen..?) so that I can actually look at the manual pdf on my other monitor while playing??

Secondly, it seemed like once someone told you quest information, you were left to remember that poo poo or write it down, I couldn't find anything anywhere that told me what town I was supposed to go to and look for who or what again after I heard about the quest. Results? I ran to the next town over and got slaughtered by a handful of bandits and felt dumb.

vvv Ahh, sorry.

glug fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 18, 2011

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ugly John posted:

There's a program called dkque.exe in the \Darklands\Darkland folder that will tell you every quest you're currently on. It's a really old DOS utility, so if you're on Windows 7 x64 you'll want to open it in DOSBox.

(There's also a really cool savegame editor in the same directory that I am NOT TOUCHING THIS TIME because it sorta breaks the game having 99 quality everything)

Yeah, this was a page back.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

glug posted:

I gave darklands a quick try, and had a few issues.
First dumb question.. how do I get doxbox running at a good higher resolution on my screen, but not fullscreen (windowed fullscreen..?) so that I can actually look at the manual pdf on my other monitor while playing??

Program Files > GOG.com > Darklands > Graphic Mode Setup. I have fullscreen unchecked and window resolution under Advanced Settings set to the original which gives a slightly larger window, but there's a wide variety of resolution settings.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Has anyone picked up the Broken Sword games?
Even with the GOG sale, it's only a dollar cheaper than the triple pack on Steam.
Anyone know if one is better than the other in terms of higher resolution support, etc?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The first two can be played with ScummVM, I think, so you should be good to go on modern systems.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

iastudent posted:

Yeah, I think I'm gonna need some alchemy and/or saint help for this one. The problem with those is that so far getting alchemy built up is a pain. The highest alchemy stat in my party is 18 and 90% of the time I stop in an alchemists' guild for training or to get new recipes, they get pissy and throw me out for several days.

With saints, my main religious guy has a stat of 30 and only two saints that respond to him; one that increases fire resistance and the other that increases edged/thrown weapon skill. I guess I could give the second one a try and see if that helps to take down the witches faster.

I know this doesn't help you right now being in the middle of the Sabbat, but once I get to the point of having above 10 florins at any one time I like to make sure I have at least one of the following potions on me at all times:

Eyeburn
Thunderbolt
Noxious Aroma
Essence of Grace

You may have to outright buy some of these (esp. Thunderbolt, which for some reason I can never find at least one of the ingredients), but Raubritter quests will easily get you the money you need.

So many of the random story points you run into will call for one of these four (except Eyeburn, but that stun is *handy*). Thunderbolt, often, will require 2 or 3.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

macnbc posted:

Anyone with feedback on Broken Sword 4? I got the first 3 from GOG and was happy with them, but haven't heard much about this one.
I was a big fan of the first three and wished I never played the fourth, if that tells you anything. They also outsourced all the art to the lowest bidder in China and none of the original writers returned. It was Revolution desperately trying to stay in business by being given a very low budget from THQ to make a 4th game.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 18, 2011

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

kuddles posted:

I was a big fan of the first three and wished I never played the fourth, if that tells you anything. They also outsourced all the art to the lowest bidder in China and none of the original writers returned. It was Revolution desperately trying to stay in business by being given a very low budget from THQ to make a 4th game.

:confused: For me the third one was an utter 3D, keyboard-controlled disaster. The 4th had better controls and a far better story in my opinion...

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Ugly John posted:

I know this doesn't help you right now being in the middle of the Sabbat, but once I get to the point of having above 10 florins at any one time I like to make sure I have at least one of the following potions on me at all times:

Eyeburn
Thunderbolt
Noxious Aroma
Essence of Grace

You may have to outright buy some of these (esp. Thunderbolt, which for some reason I can never find at least one of the ingredients), but Raubritter quests will easily get you the money you need.

So many of the random story points you run into will call for one of these four (except Eyeburn, but that stun is *handy*). Thunderbolt, often, will require 2 or 3.

From how things have been turning out for me (not well), I think I'm better off taking the virtue hit for fleeing and coming back after I buy some potions.

Time to find an alchemist that won't threaten to turn me into a toad! :science:

(Seriously, why are they so drat pissy almost all the time? Is it based on your alchemy/fame stats or what gets them to be more receptive?)

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mordaedil posted:

Between GoG and Steam I have over 450 unfinished games. Kill me. :downs:

Don't think of 'em as a list of Things To Do. They're Things That Are There If You Want Them.

(At least, that's how I rationalize buying stuff like the Quakecon pack. Still a little pissed over Rogue Warrior being in it.)

Also, is there anything I can do about Blood only showing a screenful of blurry green crap?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

macnbc posted:

I played it through a few years ago. It's a very rudimentary point-and-click. Moderate difficulty. There is a bit of the humour of the old ones, but it's overall a bit bland. Wait until it's at least half-off.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I'm at a bad spot in Fallout 2. I'm too weak to explore past the third town filled with druggies, even with the tribal I picked up in the bar I get killed by raiders every time I stray too far from town. I don't know how to raise the money to get the radio guy out of the slavers.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

I'm at a bad spot in Fallout 2. I'm too weak to explore past the third town filled with druggies, even with the tribal I picked up in the bar I get killed by raiders every time I stray too far from town. I don't know how to raise the money to get the radio guy out of the slavers.

I usually didn't make it through the trek directly east from the Den without a lucky streak of encounters, either. Try probing south for Redding?

What level are you? How's your armament? Rescuing the trapper in Klamath makes gecko hunting lucrative. The Den is filled with missions/tasks and lawless enough that nobody cares if a merchant or two get shot in the head.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I haven't done many side quests, I believe I'm level three. Still in my vault-tec uniform with my bare fists. I do alright with it but I made my character with guns in mind and haven't been able to find too many guns or bullets. I don't think I've been in the den yet.

e- oh the den is the second town. Yeah I guess I'm there now. Tried to help that sad dumb giant with his cows but I walked off after nothing happened and failed it to my surprise. Then I tried to bust those Brahmin thief's but when they die other town residents fight us.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Go in the building down the street from Tubby's shop (I think?). There's a few gang members wearing metal armor. Talk to the woman with black hair (Lara?), she has a chain of tasks that nets plenty of EXP and ca$h money. Becky in the bar next to the town gate also has a few errands for you to run.

I've never finished the brahmin mutilation thread myself, that thing is bugged as hell. If you go back to Klamath, check the bulletin board and talk to the lady who took Sulik's debt. Ask her about the missing trapper.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I haven't done many side quests, I believe I'm level three. Still in my vault-tec uniform with my bare fists. I do alright with it but I made my character with guns in mind and haven't been able to find too many guns or bullets. I don't think I've been in the den yet.

e- oh the den is the second town. Yeah I guess I'm there now. Tried to help that sad dumb giant with his cows but I walked off after nothing happened and failed it to my surprise. Then I tried to bust those Brahmin thief's but when they die other town residents fight us.
If you are still in Klamath (brahmin town) I believe there is a 10mm pistol in Vic's house, next to the bordello.

vvvv You're right, it's a pipe rifle. I haven't played the game in the last half-decade or so, so the details are a bit fuzzy. vvvv

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Oct 19, 2011

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

kissekatt posted:

If you are still in Klamath (brahmin town) I believe there is a 10mm pistol in Vic's house, next to the bordello.

Pipe rifle actually, there is a 10mm in the rat caves in town though.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Taking care of the rat problem in Klamath nets you a good deal of bullets too as you search around, incase you can't afford any or want a good start. The guy who runs the bar sells a 10MM at a cheaper price than usual too, for one of your buddies.

Putting points in speech is recommended so you can progress with the gang member quests. The end should net you alot of bullets, plenty of valuable stuff and a Desert Eagle.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 20, 2011

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I wonder...how is Lords of Magic to you all?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here is a release which is new: Little Big Adventure 2

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

I am so getting this.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Kins posted:

I just loved this game, although I dont quite remember why I liked it so much.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just loved this game, although I dont quite remember why I liked it so much.
Because it's badass?

I have this at home in its box, but I do realize that the GoG release, other than not having to go find the disc and such, is having it already configured to run, which is making me consider rebuying yet another game. :gonk:

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

First thing go to the rat cave and go trough it, you will go out of it more powerful and level to at least lvl 5.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Also in Fallout (especially early on) running away like a little sissy is a very valid and honorable tactic.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Since you can't be sure when legal fuckery is going to get games removed from their service, and because every price on Gog is a discounted price, I went ahead and splurged on LBA 2, Nox and The Last Express. :)

Nimrod
Sep 20, 2003

Bloodly posted:

I wonder...how is Lords of Magic to you all?

I haven't played it in about 12 years, but it was one of my favorite games when I was a teen. It's a good HoMM clone, and I remember it being tough.

I think I know what i'm about to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

So, this LBA 2. I don't have the nostalgic connection, why should/shouldn't I get it? Paint me a picture of something awesome you can do, and then give me an idea of how horrible the controls are or something.