Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pulled beef? I don't think that will work out quite like you want. You could use a pot roast suitable cut, but I don't think beef has the collagen that makes pork so lip smacking good.Your best bet is to tell your roommate to gently caress off and use pork butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

If I'm making the classic GWS pulled pork recipe off the wiki but my roommate "doesn't like pork all that much" and am going to use beef instead, what kind of beef do I buy and do I have to do anything different?

Shredded brisket is a thing but I'd imagine it's made differently. Stuff like that apple cider vinegar is used because it's pork. Not that it would necessarily go badly with brisket, but I'd not be as confident in it. I'm also not sure you can even make it in a slow cooker- I've never tried. Pot roast? Sure. Brisket always goes in the smoker or oven though, if not both.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

When I cook my homemade corned beef, I do it in the slow cooker with a generous amount of beer. I've never tried it with an uncured brisket, but I imagine it would work similarly.

By the way, corned beef braised in Guinness is amazing. Always a big hit at my St. Pat's parties.

Edit: I slice rather than shred, though.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

You could make some sort of version of birria, the beef recipes I'm finding use baby back ribs and top round, boiled with garlic and onions for an hour, then another half an hour with toasted chili puree and spices, then shredded. Not really the same idea as shredded pork, but tasty as hell.
http://www.mexgrocer.com/511-birria.html

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I decided to just buy the the pork shoulder, she can deal.

I also bought a whole chicken to make pan-fried chicken tomorrow, and I'm trying to make stock, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Will it mess up the whole thing if I didn't get all the meat off the carcass? This is the first time I've ever butchered a chicken and I don't think I did too great a job.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I decided to just buy the the pork shoulder, she can deal.

I also bought a whole chicken to make pan-fried chicken tomorrow, and I'm trying to make stock, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. Will it mess up the whole thing if I didn't get all the meat off the carcass? This is the first time I've ever butchered a chicken and I don't think I did too great a job.

Meat on the carcass will give the stock flavor. Bones are primarily for texture (collagen). You want there to be some meat.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I think it was just I didn't know how long to wait until something starts happening. It's been about an hour and a little bit of the stuff I'm supposed to skim off is starting to accumulate, so I guess I just need to be patient.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think it was just I didn't know how long to wait until something starts happening. It's been about an hour and a little bit of the stuff I'm supposed to skim off is starting to accumulate, so I guess I just need to be patient.

I find the best days to make stock are when you have 8 other things to do and are going to forget you even had it going until you walk into the kitchen and realize the place smells amazing. So yeah, don't worry about things happening after an hour.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

RazorBunny posted:

When I cook my homemade corned beef, I do it in the slow cooker with a generous amount of beer. I've never tried it with an uncured brisket, but I imagine it would work similarly.

By the way, corned beef braised in Guinness is amazing. Always a big hit at my St. Pat's parties.

Edit: I slice rather than shred, though.

I bought a prepackaged corned beef brisket dealy at CostCo and am planning to do a slow pot-cook on the stove (four hours, based on weight). If I start marinating it 24 hours in advance in homemade porter, should I add the spice packet during the initial marinade or should I wait until it's on the stove to mix it in? Also, I'm thinking potatoes, carrots, onions, and cabbage wedges for vegetables (added near the end). Am I missing anything or adding anything that would spoil the taste?

Also, I freely admit that "prepackaged corned beef brisket with spice packet" is nowhere near the standards that some folks around here hold to, and I accept that I would probably do a lot better with other options. However, I'm trying to both save up a bit of cash and have tasty beef products :).

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Prepackaged questions

Can't help you in that, I've never used the prepackaged stuff.

quote:

Also, I freely admit that "prepackaged corned beef brisket with spice packet" is nowhere near the standards that some folks around here hold to, and I accept that I would probably do a lot better with other options. However, I'm trying to both save up a bit of cash and have tasty beef products :).

Don't feel bad! If you're interested in making corned beef from scratch, though, it's very easy and not more expensive than buying premade. The only limitation I've found is that it takes up a lot of space in the fridge while it's curing.

I wrote up a blog entry on my corned beef, but I never got around to posting it and now I can't find it. :(

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

RazorBunny posted:

Can't help you in that, I've never used the prepackaged stuff.

Well, maybe a theory question, then. From what I understand of the packaging, it's already salt cured. There's no mention of needing to add salt and the package lists a single unaltered serving as almost 50% of my sodium. Would marinating in beer for 24 hours or even just cooking it in beer worsen the flavor ?

Also, any thoughts on the veggies?

ItalicSquirrels fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 18, 2011

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Under what circumstances (flavor, texture etc wise) would I use shallots instead of onions?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Well, maybe a theory question, then. From what I understand of the packaging, it's already salt cured. There's no mention of needing to add salt and the package lists a single unaltered serving as almost 50% of my sodium. Would marinating in beer for 24 hours or even just cooking it in beer worsen the flavor ?

Also, any thoughts on the veggies?

I like to take my brisket out of the brine 24 hours before cooking and let it soak in clean water to pull some of the salt back out. Soaking in beer would do the same, I imagine, though beer has a higher salt content than water and would remove less salt (blah blah blah osmosis). I love the taste of meat braised in beer, I highly recommend it. If you're going to marinate it, though, I would dump off the salty beer and then braise in a fresh batch.

I would add potatoes near the beginning, and carrots if you like them soft. The onions can go in at the beginning if you don't mind them basically dissolving. Cabbage definitely should go in at the end or it turns to mush.

Caramelizing your onions beforehand in a separate pan is a really nice touch - I do this for my beef stew recipe, and it really changes the flavor for the better.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Humboldt squid posted:

Under what circumstances (flavor, texture etc wise) would I use shallots instead of onions?

Whenever you want better flavor, texture, etc.

Realistic answer: I use shallots or leeks whenever I can afford to. Onions are great for stocks and soups and situations where you can cook the hell out of them (raw onions give me heartburn). I often make a red onion marmalade with red wine and butter and red wine vinegar, and it's amazing with goat cheese or on burgers.

I used shallots and leeks in my bœuf bourguignon this weekend, and really enjoyed the flavor. I've also done things like flash frying shallot rings dusted with flour for topping a salad or grilled fish. Light years above those fried onions in the can that go on the green beans at Thanksgiving.

If you're just cooking for 1-4 people, shallots and leeks won't break the bank. If you're making bigger quantities, learn what onions you like and how to prepare them.

Z. Beeblebrox
Jul 10, 2003

Fra-gi-lay...It's Italian!

Ravingsockmonkey posted:

Quinoa magic

I'll give one of those a go. It's not that it tastes bitter, it just tastes... green.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")
Got a quick homebrewing question, not sure if I should ask here or in the beer thread.

I'm thinking about using honey instead of sugar for the secondary fermentation on some porter I'm brewing. Is this a good idea? Am I retarded? What conversion rate should I use? Again, am I retarded?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Here come the crappy cellphone pics!

(spray can for scale)

We've only used one so far; the others still have labels on them. The one we've used is pretty sharp; the boyfriend used it to cut up roast spuds yesterday. I like that these knives feel heavy in my hand.

Sorry it's so blurry. :(

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
I get really paranoid about fruits and vegetables spoiling, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

How can you tell if romaine is bad? This has a couple brown spots (small ones), and the edge of some of the leaves is kind of bumpy...? Is it okay to eat?

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
I'd say it's probably past its prime but still edible.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

uberwekkness posted:

I get really paranoid about fruits and vegetables spoiling, so sorry if this is a dumb question.

How can you tell if romaine is bad? This has a couple brown spots (small ones), and the edge of some of the leaves is kind of bumpy...? Is it okay to eat?

Yea, big sections of brown, sliminess, mold, large portions of disintegrating leaves are bad.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Here come the crappy cellphone pics!

We've only used one so far; the others still have labels on them. The one we've used is pretty sharp; the boyfriend used it to cut up roast spuds yesterday. I like that these knives feel heavy in my hand.

They look alright. Good thick handles, full tang. I can't tell if they're serrated or not, nor the steel that they're made of. If they are serrated, my condolences. If not, use and take care of them for a couple decades.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 19, 2011

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Nope, not serrated. :) Thanks for looking at them. I haven't really looked in the briefcase; there might be a brochure or something in there too. And lord, I hate that cursive font.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Drimble Wedge posted:

Nope, not serrated. :) Thanks for looking at them. I haven't really looked in the briefcase; there might be a brochure or something in there too. And lord, I hate that cursive font.
That's awesome that you found some knives! I hope they are a nice upgrade for you from whatever you were using before.

You may want to treat yourself and take your new knives in to get professionally sharpened. That way you can see how well they'll perform for you. Good luck!

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I really like bread a whole heck of a lot, but I haven't been as successful at getting into the habit of churning out a loaf about once a week as I had hoped. Every now and then I try, but tend to peter after a loaf or two. I think the main problem is that I'm trying to be too fancy with it, so I'm wondering what the most rear end-out lazy loving bread recipe you guys have is, as in something like "throw junk in the mixer for a few minutes, let it rise, bake it." Or is this one off the wiki as close as I'll get? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Basic_bread

My hope is that once I get used to setting aside some time for breadery I'll slowly get better about putting effort into it.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I microwave frozen vegetables to heat them up to have with meals. My housemate told me I am wasting my time, because all of the nutrition is lost when veggies are nuked.

Is this true, am I just eating matter?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

henpod posted:

I microwave frozen vegetables to heat them up to have with meals. My housemate told me I am wasting my time, because all of the nutrition is lost when veggies are nuked.

Is this true, am I just eating matter?

No, all a microwave does is vibrate the water molecules to create heat, it's not some magical nutrition-removing device.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Grand Fromage posted:

No, all a microwave does is vibrate the water molecules to create heat, it's not some magical nutrition-removing device.

However, it is true that any heating at all will break down some vitamins and other nutrients. Not enough to worry too much about, but with frozen vegetables most of the damage has probably already been done.

Of course, there are other nutrients that can only be effectively absorbed by being cooked, so...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zenzirouj posted:

However, it is true that any heating at all will break down some vitamins and other nutrients.

Yeah but that's true no matter how you cook it, there's nothing special about the microwave.

A light pan fry of fresh veggies in a bit of olive oil will taste way better and not take much more time though!

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Cool, thanks. I understand that frozen vegetables lose some nutrition, but is it a significant amount? I guess, tinned are better, with fresh obviously being the best?

I know gently caress all about vegetables.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

henpod posted:

Cool, thanks. I understand that frozen vegetables lose some nutrition, but is it a significant amount?

Not really. Honestly you don't have to worry that much about nutrients, you'll get what you need from any decently balanced diet. Eat a variety of things and have a good quantity of fruits and vegetables in there and you'll be fine.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Thanks foodie-fellows. Now I can go tell my housemate that he is full of poo poo whilst spraying bits of microwaved carrot in his face.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

WHEEZY HIDE A EGG posted:

Got a quick homebrewing question, not sure if I should ask here or in the beer thread.

I'm thinking about using honey instead of sugar for the secondary fermentation on some porter I'm brewing. Is this a good idea? Am I retarded? What conversion rate should I use? Again, am I retarded?

I'd say go ask the homebrew thread. There's half a dozen folks there (at least) who'd be able to tell you for sure, but my gut reaction is that it would be fine.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

henpod posted:

Cool, thanks. I understand that frozen vegetables lose some nutrition, but is it a significant amount? I guess, tinned are better, with fresh obviously being the best?

I know gently caress all about vegetables.

I really think that tinned veggies would be the worst. They've been cooked all to hell, canned, then sitting on a shelf for months. I'd go fresh, frozen, then tinned for nutrition.

Ravingsockmonkey
Jan 24, 2007

Kharma police, arrest this girl
She stares at me as if she owns the world
And we have crashed her party

Zenzirouj posted:

I really like bread a whole heck of a lot, but I haven't been as successful at getting into the habit of churning out a loaf about once a week as I had hoped. Every now and then I try, but tend to peter after a loaf or two. I think the main problem is that I'm trying to be too fancy with it, so I'm wondering what the most rear end-out lazy loving bread recipe you guys have is, as in something like "throw junk in the mixer for a few minutes, let it rise, bake it." Or is this one off the wiki as close as I'll get? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Basic_bread

My hope is that once I get used to setting aside some time for breadery I'll slowly get better about putting effort into it.

I'm trying this out today. I mixed it together yesterday and added some whole garlic cloves and rosemary. Today I'll finish it up. The recipe is easy enough, so I hope it turns out!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zenzirouj posted:

The "no-knead" or "five minute" bread recipes that you'll find with some quick Googling are what you're after. We keep the wet dough in the fridge and bake a loaf every 3 or 4 days, simply because we bake just enough to eat - there's no waste and little work. It's pretty great for your basic I-want-a-sandwich or buttered toast bread...it's even a pretty predictable pizza dough.

The only real downside to it is that everything it makes is pretty similar, texturally, so I still like to make other breads, like rolls or focaccia, from scratch some of the time.

Lyssavirus
Oct 9, 2007
Symptoms include swelling of the brain (encephalitis), numbness, muscle weakness, coma, and death.
Speaking of bread, what's a good sort for cucumber sandwiches?

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
I'm looking for a sauce to go with steak and potatoes.

I do the cooking for me and my flatmates at the moment, and I make a lot of meat and roast potatoes because it's their favorite thing. When it's a roast of some kind I can just make gravy, but there's not enough fat or pan bits when I make steaks to do that.

I'm pretty good at steak so the steak itself doesn't need sauce, but I need something to go with the vegetables (generally steamed carrots and greens) and the potatoes, which I roast up crispy in duck fat. I've tried red wine reductions, but I find they either need decent wine, which frankly is going to a better place than my pans, or otherwise taste like bad wine. I had better luck with a thin, lemony garlic aioli but it not everyone liked it.

I'm thinking of trying a salty beurre blanc maybe? Any ideas for something that would be nice to soak up with crispy duck fat potatoes and doesn't clash with steak.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Why not try deglazing with some beef or chicken stock, and building your sauce from there?

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Has anyone tried making carbonara with duck eggs? I bet that would be pretty good, if insanely rich. Maybe that will be my weekend cooking project.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Not Very Metal posted:

Why not try deglazing with some beef or chicken stock, and building your sauce from there?

Beer always works as a deglazing liquid. Just use something better than Bud/Natty/Coors/Miller/etc. Never use a lite beer. Porter or stout both work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Fagtastic posted:

I'm looking for a sauce to go with steak and potatoes.

I do the cooking for me and my flatmates at the moment, and I make a lot of meat and roast potatoes because it's their favorite thing. When it's a roast of some kind I can just make gravy, but there's not enough fat or pan bits when I make steaks to do that.

I'm pretty good at steak so the steak itself doesn't need sauce, but I need something to go with the vegetables (generally steamed carrots and greens) and the potatoes, which I roast up crispy in duck fat. I've tried red wine reductions, but I find they either need decent wine, which frankly is going to a better place than my pans, or otherwise taste like bad wine. I had better luck with a thin, lemony garlic aioli but it not everyone liked it.

I'm thinking of trying a salty beurre blanc maybe? Any ideas for something that would be nice to soak up with crispy duck fat potatoes and doesn't clash with steak.

Stock, cream, mushrooms. Cook down mushrooms, toss in some shallots if you feel like it. Deglaze pan with cognac or generic "brown", add stock, reduce a touch, add cream. Salt+pepper to taste.

So rich, so good.